Boris Johnson expected to outline return of fans to sports events today

When will Glasgow get down to tier 1, need to be the vaccine in place for that.
Maybe the over 50s, will in firstly in theory.
As I approach my 65th birthday can I just say 'that sounds like a plan'.:) In fact it makes it easy for the Rangers Board to decide who gets back first - only those who have been vaccinated. I might post that in the Covid thread in The Lounge just for the meltdown, they like that sort of stuff over there ha ha.:))

As I approach my 65th birthday can I just say 'that sounds like a plan'.:) In fact it makes it easy for the Rangers Board to decide who gets back first - only those who have been vaccinated. I might post that in the Covid thread in The Lounge just for the meltdown, they like that sort of stuff over there ha ha.:))
As a fellow sexagenarian I agree this is the way forward.

I just hope the snoring emanating from the stands doesn't put the players off.

Look after us oldies (53) , well just to get into the brox.

Would it not have been better to give each tier a varying percentage of full capacity as well as a fixed number and each ground has to abide by whichever limit it hits first?

For example:
Tier 1 - 10% or 4,000
Tier 2 - 5% or 2,000
0 for the rest

Is it just me that wants BCD to continue?

1. We are playing more than fine
2. Celtic seem to be missing the crowd
3. Celtic feel the impact of fans more financially (the boat has sailed for us to sell euro tickets)
4. Any short fall in match day revenue will be met by DP and co, where as DD of Celtic only takes money out therefore eats into cash reserves.
Surely you want crowds back and I'm not buying into this about Celtic and their fans.

We done them at parkhead in the last game with crowds against them, it was us that lost our way after that.

Another thing, if we as fans are saying it suits our players to not have our own fans getting on their back, then there needs to be a serious discussion among the rangers support, especially at Ibrox.

It's a great shame that the fans are not getting to enjoy this, surely that's what the games about and if we've came to a point where some fans are saying it suits us better not to have fans in the stadiums, then somethings badly wrong.

There's no good reason to not have some fans inside huge open air stadiums. I get that people have said bottlenecks getting in but people are that desperate to return that if you told them they had to turn up in 15 minute intervals for hours beforehand they would.
Agree. 4000 in Glasgow with good public transport is no extra hassle. All problems can be worked out.

Surely you want crowds back and I'm not buying into this about Celtic and their fans.

We done them at parkhead in the last game with crowds against them, it was us that lost our way after that.

Another thing, if we as fans are saying it suits our players to not have our own fans getting on their back, then there needs to be a serious discussion among the Rangers support, especially at Ibrox.

It's a great shame that the fans are not getting to enjoy this, surely that's what the games about and if we've came to a point where some fans are saying it suits us better not to have fans in the stadiums, then somethings badly wrong.
To be honest mate the Ibrox crowd is amazing and so is the away support. However I do that that the lack of fans at away grounds does help. We have historically struggled at some grounds like Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Motherwell (not recently). Where I think we are being helped by lack of crowds is say the last 30 mins of Kilmarnock away, whereby we dropped deeper and deeper and they were pushing up the park. If their fans are in they go mental at even getting a corner of of us, I genuinely thought I had "seen this movie before" that day.

Ideally Celtic drop more time and we get back in for the run in, my top priority is winning the league, I dont care how we get over the line

Culture secetary said mass testing could lead way to returns to crowd, I'm not sure that's how Scot Gov will want to use any increase increase in mass testing. How would it work, you would surely need a weekly test for the football?

We are doing fine without fans for now thanks. The applecart is nice and balanced. All going well we should have the title won with some games to spare. Good time to return then.,

That kranky faced munter will only drop to tier 1 to allow a wee referendum. This covid shit is the only thing she has control off

I was at NI v Romania last week, 1060 fans and I must say it was quite shite. Normally always a brilliant atmosphere, but not even allowed to hang our flag up. A very sterile experience to be honest, 4k would be better. Was still good to see a match live but the whole thing, understandably wasn't that great.

was that not what the government called it?
Yes back in September

However with the tier system it is different now tier 0 & 1 allow limited amount of fans inside grounds which the Scottish Government set the figure I think

Hence why Ross County v Hibs 2 weeks ago and Inverness v Raith last Saturday had fans

When the big cities in England like London, Birmingham Manchester and Liverpool are at a level to allow fans in they will probably select those fans that live closest to the grounds initially to save on travel. Although I will be personally affected by this when crowds return to Ibrox it will be the same when Krankie eventually allows football fans back in Scotland. No chance of even 25% full stadiums this season in my opinion. This will only be increased when we have all been vaccinated. Sadly same for majority of foreign travel as well, probably all have to carry proof of our vaccination details.

Further doom and gloom to my earlier entry.I don't think they will allow access if you have been drinking. Not a problem, can go for a drink afterwards. (unless NN stops the pubs being open on match days)

The old guys deserve the games first given they have less ahead of them than the younger generation :cool:

The CEO of Twickenham says they need 25-30,000 in to make it worthwhile opening.
In a similar vein, I saw Palios, the Tranmere Chairman, saying a crowd of 4K would see most clubs lose money on it. His club have 4K season ticket holders, who have already paid I think, so all costs for getting fans in represent a loss. I think he mentioned a figure of £10k per match. Clearly it’s not all about finance but it’s an indication that it’s not entirely straightforward.

Dont get the abuse of him. Hes not just a dentist, hes not a politician either. Just a guy who has worked his whole life in the NHS and is now in the private eye. Each to their own though.
He address's people like they are fucking 5 years old - The only thing missing is him handing you a lollypop for "listening good".

A few signs of the media starting to show facts rather than scaring the **** out of people though so hopefully a corner being turned.

Last edited:
Ibrox is in tier 4. No chance any crowd is getting back in before the spring
?? We have been under increased measures for weeks now. If the rate to justify unlocking doesnt drop and the sheep still dont wake up to the reality that lockdowns dont work, then we deserve to stay locked down.

There's no good reason to not have some fans inside huge open air stadiums. I get that people have said bottlenecks getting in but people are that desperate to return that if you told them they had to turn up in 15 minute intervals for hours beforehand they would.
If you can't stop smoking in the toilets good luck getting people to sit patiently for an hour or so post match

If you can't stop smoking in the toilets good luck getting people to sit patiently for an hour or so post match
I can't believe people are selfish enough to do that but equally I can't believe the club can't get people outside and back in at half-time to negate it.

If this vaccine roll out goes to plan football grounds will be full from april

Don’t see this happening for this round of fixtures for us. Where the pressure will build will be to get fans back for the 3rd old firm game, as you’d hope with the vaccine it would be a given to have a full house for the final one....

?? We have been under increased measures for weeks now. If the rate to justify unlocking doesnt drop and the sheep still dont wake up to the reality that lockdowns dont work, then we deserve to stay locked down.
Don’t they? I’ve discussed this in The Lounge. They can, and do, work if folk adhere to them but they are only ever a temporary measure. Kicking the can down the road. Maybe with the vaccine looming now is the ideal time.

I live in North Wales. We had a 17 day ‘firebreak’ which has seen the rate per 100k in my area drop from 116/100,000 to the latest published figure of 23/100,000. That’s a big drop but it’s not replicated across Wales. The likes of Merthyr Tydfil it barely made a difference. Multiple reasons for that, which are best left for The Lounge but the bottom line, if folk adhere to it the the restrictions CAN work. It‘s not guaranteed to work but, equally, you cannot simply brush it off by saying they don’t work,

He address's people like they are fucking 5 years old - The only thing missing is him handing you a lollypop for "listening good".
A lot of people seem to be acting like they are 5 years old through all this, to be fair.

Don’t they? I’ve discussed this in The Lounge. They can, and do, work if folk adhere to them but they are only ever a temporary measure. Kicking the can down the road. Maybe with the vaccine looming now is the ideal time.

I live in North Wales. We had a 17 day ‘firebreak’ which has seen the rate per 100k in my area drop from 116/100,000 to the latest published figure of 23/100,000. That’s a big drop but it’s not replicated across Wales. The likes of Merthyr Tydfil it barely made a difference. Multiple reasons for that, which are best left for The Lounge but the bottom line, if folk adhere to it the the restrictions CAN work. It‘s not guaranteed to work but, equally, you cannot simply brush it off by saying they don’t work,
Yes I accept that, however. We have been locked down, we are still locked down. As the original post said if we are still locked down near spring and that rate to justify it hasn’t dropped so we enter a different restriction level? Then that lockdown aint working.

Last edited:
No doubt all the snp and labour mentally challenged MPs will push for hampden opening for cup final so they can see their team.

Back