Is it better to play the rest of the season without the fans?

Baxter Blue

As another poster said ,we are playing great patient slow building football with a deliberate plan of attack.
Would this style of play be a success in front of the fans?.I personally don’t think so.
Its sad to be in that position as it’s great to have our fans as well but experience has told us that a lot of our fans don’t have the same patience as the players.
However I still long to be back at Ibrox with the rest of our great support but for this season I would be a bit hesitant to change things the way they are for now.

I think the players would cope just fine with us being back, they're well drilled on how to play this way now and like us will have clearly seen the benefits of this style to ignore the noise from the crowd to play to the plan.

Biggest issue for me is the refs, ludicrous non penalty decision at the weekend aside, I think we're seeing better from them. I doubt they wouldn't be influenced again from the howlers in the stands.

It's hard to say for certain with how well we've been playing and as you say how patient at passing the ball around aying with our opposition. Would that be possible with 50k getting a bit restless if we hadn't scored by 10/15 mins I honestly don't know.
What i do know is it's going well and I reckon as much as we are all missing footie a great deal it's working for us. I keep in saying if we get through the first 6 weeks of the year unscathed then I believe it will be ours. Then we should be in front and actually have full belief it's our year, at which point let us all in for the biggest fooking party you've ever scene.

We've done superb without fans so far.

As others have said, get the fans back after the title is wrapped up.

It's the $64,000 question, has the current fan situation helped or aided the team?

Would we be even better with fan backing?

Yes 100%.

At least until it's mathematically impossible for us to be caught.

People will disagree, but not having a groaning Ibrox has helped this team massively.

Just look at our two best performers this year - Tav and Goldson. Normally the two whipping boys of the support.

If we're not winning within 20 minutes Ibrox is toxic.

It'd be a shame if there weren't any fans for a title party though.

If it ain’t broke why try to fix it? I’m desperate to return to Ibrox but we are playing without fear and we are playing as a strong cohesive unit. We will be back next season. Winning is all that matters and the pairty will last a long time when we do.

It’s letting the players play freely without the additional pressure of a full stadium bearing down on them, it’s letting them grow into the system.
It’s also letting us lot get educated on the system gradually over the first quarter of the season.
Time will tell how some of the new players will react to a full Ibrox going tonto.

We've not really had a game where we are in desperate need of a lift or a goal. If that was the case, we really need the crowd back in. I do feel sorry for those who are a bit on in years, who maybe thought they'd never see the League flag over Ibrox again, it would be great if they could see us win it again.

And for some of the new players, to feel Ibrox filled to the rafters with the Bears in full voice, that's the Glasgow Rangers' Story.

Buts let's just win the thing.

I think the crowd will be a little less unforgiving after being away for so long.
I think we would all want to believe that but there will always be sections who dont know anything other than to moan.

If anyone on here sits in SE5 of the East Enclosure they will be aware of the 2 guys from the borders who just moan moan moan.

And I’m talking minutes after Kick off.

For me keep the fans away till we win the league.

players are flourishing

Last edited:
I don't think fans will be back at least in larger numbers till around March, hopefully just in time for winning the title.
I think 90% of Season ticket holders would settle for no return (at all) this season if we were to canter to the title.

Hypothetically then if we can get the fans back for the last game of the season a game we needed to win should we go back or stick with the winning formula

Maybe I’m totally in the wrong here but I can’t believe how many people think the lack of fans is helping us in any meaningful way.

We’re doing better this season because we’ve a stronger squad and have clearly done a ton of work on the training ground figuring out how to break down packed defences (for example, our interplay around the box, the direct balls from deep, Morelos playing like a false 9 - nothing to do with fans, everything to do with coaching)

Hopefully when we do get back in the moaners will have seen the error of their ways but tbh people just love complaining about life in general so they’re going to complain at the football as well, but I’m not having this used as a stick to beat us with if and when we win the league

It’s a pretty sad indictment the amount of Rangers fans saying the team are doing better without the home fans. That may or may not be true but either way the moaning bastards who frequent our games and need to give themselves a shake before they do get back to our home.

I know this might be a bit pie in the sky stuff but do you think once crowds are let back in fans will be less likely to criticise. Everyone takes [or used to] going to Ibrox for granted. Potentially with us being kept out for so long the usual moaners/subway loyal will have a new found appreciation for going to the game..... like I said probably just pie in the sky.

At our best, nothing comes close to us supporting the team. At our worst we become an enemy of the team and have a huge negative affect on them.

It’s a good point

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

There was a stage in the 2nd half of the game yesterday where we looked as if we were just farting about passing it between midfield defence and keeper a couple of times. However, with all the passing we pushed them right back. There would have been moans by the fans.

Here's an idea. Is it maybe not just the fact that we're now a better team with a larger squad of good players. This patter does the players a disservice.

The only problem I have with Ibrox, is the fact that there's far too many games with a crowd in that makes it feel like a bcd game.

Crowds back asap.

Maybe I’m totally in the wrong here but I can’t believe how many people think the lack of fans is helping us in any meaningful way.

We’re doing better this season because we’ve a stronger squad and have clearly done a ton of work on the training ground figuring out how to break down packed defences (for example, our interplay around the box, the direct balls from deep, Morelos playing like a false 9 - nothing to do with fans, everything to do with coaching)

Hopefully when we do get back in the moaners will have seen the error of their ways but tbh people just love complaining about life in general so they’re going to complain at the football as well, but I’m not having this used as a stick to beat us with if and when we win the league
Thank god for a bit of sanity.

I can’t believe the amount of self loathing on this thread. Keep the fans out until next season because we play better without them? I’ve read it all now. Would be as well locking the doors then and never playing with fans again at Ibrox

Back