Diego Maradona has died

Splits opinion, as a footballer, still the best I’ve ever seen in my lifetime as the complete footballer and what he won. As a person thats up for argument, could argue that all he wanted to to was play football and the fame and drugs caught up with him, can’t deny he was a wee cvnt at times, probably due to the gear. Anyway RIP Diego.

Like a lot of geniuses he was a deeply flawed individual, but what a talent he had and what great moments he gave us. He brought league titles and World Cup success to teams who otherwise would have fallen short, through his own individual brilliance.

RIP Diego

Honestly thought he’d superhero through anything right up into his 90s after the life he lived.

Rest In Power Diego. 2020 takes another legend.

I was lucky enough to see Maradona play - and score - against Scotland, in a friendly at sun-kissed Hampden Park in June 1979. Scorcher of a day, seared in my memory. He was a wonder kid, like me just short of his 19th birthday, but just a shade more talented with a ball at his feet.

Who can forget the incredible goal he scored against England en route to winning the 1986 World Cup.

Gone too soon (although we all know why). RIP, one of the greatest players of all time.
Was there as an 11 year old, first game without an adult, just me and my mate

Greatest footballer ever without a doubt in my mind
Not far off won the World Cup single handed

Yes they will - relatively soon too - getting caught up in the heat of the moment.

A fantastic player who lived a freewheeling life off the field.

One of the greatest footballing talents ever.
No they won’t and not any time soon
I’d bet on it being a national holiday from now on
They’ve just declared 3 days of national mourning

I was lucky enough to see Maradona play - and score - against Scotland, in a friendly at sun-kissed Hampden Park in June 1979. Scorcher of a day, seared in my memory. He was a wonder kid, like me just short of his 19th birthday, but just a shade more talented with a ball at his feet.

Who can forget the incredible goal he scored against England en route to winning the 1986 World Cup.

Gone too soon (although we all know why). RIP, one of the greatest players of all time.
I was there also mate, in the old enclosure.
Piping hot day is my biggest memory of it.

Booted a fan, shot journalists with an air rifle, beat the shit out his girlfriend, had a severely disabled and dying man travel for a meeting and stood him up without any notice. That’s a lot of big mistakes for one man, I feel like the urge to look past all that wouldn’t be the same if it were a lesser player, certainly wouldn’t be the same if it was a tim.

Anyway, I’d certainly prefer to remember him for his genius so I’ll attempt to put the rest to the back of my mind now.
I'll give you a nibble mate but only because I got hounded for calling Kobe a rapist. I don't think there is a man on earth who'd have a flawless eulogy if they lived his life.

I'll give you a nibble mate but only because I got hounded for calling Kobe a rapist. I don't think there is a man on earth who'd have a flawless eulogy if they lived his life.

They probably wouldn’t mate but there’s no real excuse for a lot of that stuff. I just think there’s an awful lot of hypocrisy on show here. Anyways, I wouldn’t have even mentioned it if others hadn’t began to discuss it because there’s a time and a place and all that.

Do you know Argentina? Or any Argentinians?
They’ve declared 3 days of national mourning
It's a tragedy but life will on after the initial outpouring of grief. My comment wasn't meant to be insensitive or disrespectful but life goes on.

You listen to Argies talk about Maradona and it doesn’t even sound like they’re talking about a man, more like a higher power.
This is absolutely true, there will be mass outpourings of grief at this news.

I’ve read journalists say in the past when Maradona dies it won’t just be the biggest funeral Argentina has seen, it will be the biggest the world has ever seen.

You listen to Argies talk about Maradona and it doesn’t even sound like they’re talking about a man, more like a higher power.
He is God to them,They even have a church named after him
Everyone loves him even the rival supporters of Boca Juniors because he was great for their country
That doesn’t happen in our back water of a country

I was privileged to see him in 1979. My greatest of all time but others will disagree. He was, however, the most charismatic footballer who ever lived and the whole of Argentina and Naples will be in mourning. Flawed but undoubtedly a footballing genius.

It's a shame that tv coverage of football in the 80's and early 90's was nowhere near what it has become in the last 20 years.

So much of his talent has not been captured on film for generations to enjoy.

I'v often thought he was having a wee laugh with the HoG. Here I am a wee guy up against this big monster so iv no chance. So I'll just knock it in with my hand. If you look at his first reaction he was astounded that the ref awarded a goal:)

Adiós Diego! Gracias por los buenos recuerdos. El mejor futbolista del mundo durante muchos años.

I will never forget the summer of 86 - on holiday in Cyprus. Watching the world cup. You became my hero. I had never seen a player like it.

My English cousins and friends fuming at that goal. Awestruck later with the second goal. A genius.

Oddly, the Argentina strip was my first football kit just after the WC in 78.

I've always had a love of the style of play of Argentina too.

Today I feel very sad. A genuine great has gone.

☹️

I'v often thought he was having a wee laugh with the HoG. Here I am a wee guy up against this big monster so iv no chance. So I'll just knock it in with my hand. If you look at his first reaction he was astounded that the ref awarded a goal:)
I’ve argued before that it was actually the better of the two goals he scored that day

He is God to them,They even have a church named after him
Everyone loves him even the rival supporters of Boca Juniors because he was great for their country
That doesn’t happen in our back water of a country
He was elevated after beating England in 86. It went beyond football just after the Falklands.

Of course life goes on but Argentinians will feel this loss in a big way

He wasn't simply a football icon. He was a cultural and political one that gave Argentina a global stage.

An article in Clarín talks of Maradona providing a mirror to the Argentine psyche - "one in which it is pleasant to look at ourselves and the other, the one that embarrasses us."

My favourite quote about him:

“Little cosmic kite, which planet did you come from, to leave so many Englishmen behind, so that the country becomes a clenched fist crying for Argentina? Argentina 2, England 0! Die-goal, Die-goal, Diego Armando Maradona! Thank you, God, for football, for Maradona”
Victor Hugo Morales- Commentator, 1986

He wasn't simply a football icon. He was a cultural and political one that gave Argentina a global stage.

An article in Clarín talks of Maradona providing a mirror to the Argentine psyche - "one in which it is pleasant to look at ourselves and the other, the one that embarrasses us."
Youre 100% bang on, mate

It’s very sad news. Some my earliest memories of watching football are the 86 World Cup with Maradona being the best player in the world. A genius. I’m not sure any other player in history could have lifted that Napoli side to glory. He was just so charismatic and talented.

Im waiting to see what our Claudio Cannigia says.
They were the best of mates.
The police raided a house in Buenas Aires and the two of them were sitting there naked, sweating like fek with snow on the table.

Legend, came from nothing to being the best in the world, his head was corrupted by dodgy people and then drugs.

people on here criticising him for some of his actions , thats fine but just remember that when people like gazza another troubled man get slaughtered for his past actions. you cant defend one and criticise another.

If you consider football a game that traverses more than just the pitch - one in which entertainment and persona and the weaving of a narrative that resonates even with those outwith football - then Diego was the greatest of all time. No question.

RIP ya mad bastard.

Back