MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Playing to the 90 minutes is imperative tonight. We don't score many in the last quarter and Roofe's wonder goal apart we put ourselves under needless pressure in these games (v Galatasary, Lech, Standard before that goal and we paid for it v Benfica away) Fist and last goal, clean sheet, even 0-0 would all be brilliant because our head to head means we could top this group if we avoid a loss tonight.

I don't buy the Benfica "missing players" as an excuse given the strength in depth they have purchased and the fact they have their scorers fit.

2-1 Rangers, but as I said I'd be happy with 0-0, 1-1, or 2-2.

Really looking forward to the game this evening. I’ll be utterly astounded if there’s no goals in this game! It’s perfectly set up to be one of these classic European games at Ibrox unfortunately though without any fans to enjoy it :(

Think it’s going to be tight but have a feeling Rangers might just edge it by a goal...let’s go!

I'm a wee bit cautious over tonight's game. I think Benfica will have drawn heart from our defensive lapses that enabled them to come back and tie the game in Lisbon. Because of this I think they'll come to Ibrox believing they can get result. There will be goals in this game for sure.

Difficult game to predict. Benfica played well and were on top prior to their sending off, so I’d be surprised if we dominated them again against eleven. More likely to be evens, unless we can snatch victory at the end.

Going by what I saw when it was 11 v 11 in Lisbon, I would take a point right now.

It was 11 v 11 for 10 minutes mate, obviously they were going to have a go at us like that in the opening exchanges at home and they benefitted from a freak goal.

That has no bearing on this game at all, impose ourselves on the game and we should be fine.

Not getting ahead of myself on this one. Will be a very tough game.

Buzzing for it, been buzzing since the full time whistle on Sunday! It's like I'm living my life from Rangers game to Rangers game just now.
I know it has been great. Looking forward to the end of the season when we are out of sight and can relax.

I truly don't want to be relying on that last game for points in this group either.

Wondered this too. All I've found so far is a striker of theirs out

Team news (from BBC website)​

Ryan Jack is a doubt with a knock picked up during Sunday's 4-0 win over Aberdeen. Fellow midfielder Bongani Zungu will be missing for up to another 10 days after injuring a knee on South Africa duty.

Benfica defender Nicolas Otamendi serves a ban after his red card in the reverse fixture. Darwin Nunez, Julian Weigl and Adel Taarabt are out after testing positive for Covid-19, while Jean-Clair Todibo, Andre Almeida, Pedrinho and Nuno Tavares are absent through injury.

What’s the latest on Benfica absences? Are they missing important players tonight?
Benfica defender Nicolas Otamendi serves a ban after his red card in the reverse fixture. Darwin Nunez, Julian Weigl and Adel Taarabt are out after testing positive for Covid-19, while Jean-Clair Todibo, Andre Almeida, Pedrinho and Nuno Tavares are absent through injury.

It has affected their domestic form but the core strengths of their squad are still there.

Ryan Jack is a doubt with a knock picked up during Sunday's 4-0 win over Aberdeen. Fellow midfielder Bongani Zungu will be missing for up to another 10 days after injuring a knee on South Africa duty.

You beat me to it, but one thing in that article that both gave me hope and worry is this:

• Rangers have faced fewer shots on target than any other side in the Europa League (2), though they conceded with both of them against Benfica last time out.

You beat me to it, but one thing in that article that both gave me hope and worry is this:

• Rangers have faced fewer shots on target than any other side in the Europa League (2), though they conceded with both of them against Benfica last time out.
Defence is crucial tonight

They lost to Celtic a few times, but they have strengthened substantially since then. There are a few similarities between us like biggest club in the country and not being prepared to play second fiddle to Porto. They have spent a good deal more than us.

They have good access to the Brazilian market because of support there and language and cultural ties.

Just opened a bottle of wine to attempt to settle my nervous. Swinging between nervous and excited.

Could be another classic under the lights, but I don't think it'll be the easy win some predict.

I like it when we're the underdogs, this confidence feels weird!

True. Although a lot of that is down to the fact Hellander just had a nightmare. It happens. I reckon he will play much better tonight

Just opened a bottle of wine to attempt to settle my nervous. Swinging between nervous and excited.

Could be another classic under the lights, but I don't think it'll be the easy win some predict.

I like it when we're the underdogs, this confidence feels weird!
I know the feeling. I've worn the same clothes (washed and softened though - am a Rangers fan) for every Europa game and been on and posted a cautious post on the match thread. It's hard for me to keep posting slightly negative predictions and getting harder because the family think am bluffing just so I can celebrate wildly when we do well.

With Patterson, Zungu and possibly Jack out, as well as a few not making the euro squad, there should be a couple of youngsters on the bench tonight.

I love it when we fix just about everything...

Thanks a lot! I read something about youth players flying in also for them. Could be a good boost for us

Ta. Here's a few highlights.

Playing like this we left the Scottish Flemish with a defeat.

The buck will go down to earth when he leaves scotch with his ass burning.

There are many in steel, but they are c*nt, as the other said.

I think we're going to be shipwrecked, on top of that with so many absences.

In our current reality, rangers have become a colossus.

Real Madrid with the lizards a few years ago at the Bernabéu was also afflicted.

With Pizzidane in the middle, strong discomfort looms in Scotland.

We have a shipyard that envies many.

The heart wants victory, says that we are going to score without pimples.

Tomorrow, another reality shower! It is burping the hake for all those who voted for this mediocrity, this current shit that we have.

Only those inside do not see the pagoda that we are in Europe or do anything to change that.

We will reach the end of the season without using the white equipment.

We will win another night of nerves. Let's take a sniff that is not even good.

Let us remember that this Rangers half a dozen years ago went bankrupt and went to beat the 5th division of Scotland with the horns.

If we had half the attitude and the breed of pork, we won almost all games.

I dreamed that I was 0-1 with a shit goal from Cervi. Let us wait serenely.

Let's BIGGER!

Might be getting ahead of myself but I think we’ll beat them fairly comfortably. If they try to defend as high as in the first leg we should create plenty

It has affected their domestic form but the core strengths of their squad are still there.
Otamendi, Weigl, Taarabt and Tavares all started the game over there, with Nunez coming on later. Nunez and Otamendi are obviously regular starters for them, not so sure about the others though, I think they are more squad players.

Half day, home, nice long bath with some cultural music on.

Ready for the nights entertainment.

Mcgregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Arfield Kamara Aribo

Roofe Morelos Kent

1-0 Kent

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of what German channels may be showing the game. Over for work but can't use the WiFi here to stream it or watch on Bt with vpn, even though I have BT Sports. Do any local networks cover Europa League?

I’m giving the lads a chance tonight with a 2-1 or 3-0 victory. We will be up for this game and ready for it. Feeling confident but not cocky as they are still a dangerous team, but it does go to show how far we have come when we are very confident of beating a side of the calibre of benfica.

we are the people.

Sorry for being stupid (I've checked and I think I'm right) but a win takes us through - yes?

I think If Jac can play then the only place up for grabs is the right 10, which I imagine would be Aribo.

Good problem to have.

McGregor

Tav CG FH Borna

Jack Davis Kamara

Aribo Morelos Kent.

If Jack’s out I imagine Arfield comes in for him in midfield.

Back