Lack of subs tonight

Strangely i understand the no sub, the gaffer clearly didn’t want to disrupt the players. That said, could have done with a breather but the bench was weak but I’d have brought Itten or Barker on.

Criminal when we are 2 up and needing legs, their manager used every sub and went for it, Gerrard froze.
He just didn't trust the kids to come on in midfield. We don't really know if they are good enough, he obviously doesn't think they are ready for this level yet. It was always going to be a difficult last 20 minutes with Davis on the pitch.

I don’t see what subs he could have made in all honesty. Maybe barker for Roofe/Kent but don’t think that would have made much of a difference.

Last time we moaned he had changed the game with the subs
You can’t win

It’s not a case of one or the other producing the same result every time though is it. You need to make the right subs and when the circumstances call for it. Tonight it was very much needed when half our team looked gassed.

Benfica are quality but need to learn from these 2 games when defending and seeing the game out.
I am more annoyed at the 750k we have lost with 2 draws.
Still, we are through .

Folk will rightly say we're still in a good position and drawing with Benfica is a good result.

That doesn't excuse watching your players blowing out their arse after 75 minutes and refusing to put fresh legs on.

It was Benfica's subs and sharpness that got them back in the game. Very poorly managed by Gerrard.

Isn
Have to ask... why are people saying the options aren't there on the bench?

Our players on the pitch looked knackered.

Many have been saying that our subs / 18 are as strong as ever.

Surely there was at least one option there or two? Was Itten, Barker, Hagi not good enough?
Isn't Barjonas a midfielder ?
Yes hes young, so was a lot of Benfica players,couple teenagers,only way to get experience is to play

Can’t believe some posters believing that fresh legs would not have seen out that game. Kent, Arfield, and Morelos were knackered. Agree that the bench wasn’t great, but there were changes to be made to see out the game. Glad we didn’t have to chase a result from the bench.

Bassey, Helander, Hagi, Itten, Barker, Stewart, Barjonas, Dickson, King

Who out of that stops the midfielder being completely overran the last 20 minutes? We could bring Helander on for a forward but that just invites more pressure.

Tonight that was the issue. We needed a Jack or an Aribo to come on and keep the ball. None of that bench are doing it.

Have to ask... why are people saying the options aren't there on the bench?

Our players on the pitch looked knackered.

Many have been saying that our subs / 18 are as strong as ever.

Surely there was at least one option there or two? Was Itten, Barker, Hagi not good enough?

Who do you take off for those 3?

The best teams don't sub their best players with 20 minutes to go when we're trying to win the game.

Easy to say in hindsight but we were very comfortable and our front 3 were all looking dangerous

If we had Aribo, Jack or Zungu he would have freshened it up

I suspect he played those players for 90 minutes tonight knowing he'll be resting most of them this weekend.

Plus the options on the bench weren't great.

We’ve had two draws against a very good side. As frustrating as it is blowing a lead we can hold our heads high. We’re almost there.

Gerrard just said that Benfica wear you down and exploit tiredness. Makes it even more surprising that he didn’t make any subs.

If Jack and Aribo were there i think we would have seen a change.

Itten, Hagi, Barker are all players less likely to retain possession imo, which is why he didn't change it up front either.

Learning trade last time using subs didn’t help. This time it may not have either and we may have lost the game. Still unbeaten we move on - one win and we are through and we may not even need that.

I agree- could have got subs on to freshen things up. Zungu, Jack or Aribo would have been perfect.

Hagi not really what was required.

I am assuming that’s why no one was brought on.

Best stay with a winning team so to speak - Benfica are a fine side and to draw with them is a pain but no disgrace.

Benfica have some amazing players and we have a great team. Two draws probably a fair reflection just annoying how they came about.

I know I don't have the tactical football brain...

But people keep mentioning Jack, Aribo only. Surely if our players on pitch are tired (playing at 50%) then a 100% energetic Itten, Barker or Hagi is going to help?

Tonight that was the issue. We needed a Jack or an Aribo to come on and keep the ball. None of that bench are doing it.

They both would've been on if available. Even Zungu most likely.

People seem to be moaning about a lack of subs without seeing who we had available.

Criminal when we are 2 up and needing legs, their manager used every sub and went for it, Gerrard froze.
Hahahahaha who would you have put on mate? Considering the midfield was where we were staring to tire, how would you have changed it?

Are you aware of the bench tonight?

I'm not really sure he had that much option.
We could have brought on a defender and brought Roofe back into midfield. We were tiring and they were dominating the middle. The big problem was that they’re a good tea and much better than anything we play in Scotland so seeing the game out was always going to be hard.
A point is great considering the other score.

Our front three do so much work that they don’t get credit for. Towards the end of the game when they tire, we could have done with Barker for Kent/Roofe to keep us on the front foot.
That’s my only criticism tonight as before the game I’d have taken a point.
We need to take stock and realise we are disappointed tonight to draw with Benfica.
We’re still Unbeaten and I don’t see us losing either of the next 2 games.

Back