MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
I’m sitting here with a happy grin on my face,2 score draws v Benfica I would have bit their hands off for that before a ball was kicked,They were a great team and we competed with them over the 2 games,The way the scoring went was a killer but that’s football for you,The handball penalty incident was a barsteward but that was another example of football not being fair.
Because of this same daft problem that BT, Premier, Sky, RangersTV all have of showing umpteen repeats when the ball is still in play I only saw one replay of the Vertonghen tackle on Morelos. Is there no a shout for a red card there? Jumping roundhouse kick to the head a la Chuck Norris when he's made a cnut of judging the ball and Alfie is in behind him?

Given Kamara got a yellow for a cynical shirt tug (correct decision), but nothing for the guy who went through the back of Roofe (100% stick on yellow), also a couple of other cards he let them away with yet booked Kamara for pretty much a first foul that wasnt as bad, missed the blatant handball penalty and allowed the Bruce Lee move from Vertonghen, we can really count ourselves unlucky with the officials.

How times have changed. Is Gerrard really getting abused for not putting on Brandon Barker????

Some folk have just been gagging for a reason to turn on the manager since last season just as there are some desperate for Tav's form to dip just so they can get the pitchforks out. Actually, I'm just waiting on the first poster to decide we dropped those points because he isn't shouty enough

Gerrard's lack of subs has been a recurring issue, so that's not new. I don't think a single Rangers fan would have criticised Gerrard for changing a front three who'd ran themselves into the ground.

Because of this same daft problem that BT, Premier, Sky, RangersTV all have of showing umpteen repeats when the ball is still in play I only saw one replay of the Vertonghen tackle on Morelos. Is there no a shout for a red card there? Jumping roundhouse kick to the head a la Chuck Norris when he's made a cnut of judging the ball and Alfie is in behind him?

Given Kamara got a yellow for a cynical shirt tug (correct decision), but nothing for the guy who went through the back of Roofe (100% stick on yellow), also a couple of other cards he let them away with yet booked Kamara for pretty much a first foul that wasnt as bad, missed the blatant handball penalty and allowed the Bruce Lee move from Vertonghen, we can really count ourselves unlucky with the officials.
Should have put Hagi on to explain the rules in his own language.

Just same as I said after the first game. Defend on the half way line not in your own box.
Subs might have helped but we were playing against a quality team. I expect we will qualify and who knows maybe go another round after the first in the final stages.
So far I am happy with what we have done in Europe and look forward to the next two games.

Benfica are a very good side but a very lucky one tonight. As clear a penalty as you'll ever see right in front of the assistant ref. Ball off the crossbar and they scramble it away. Then a scrappy goal with all the breaks going. As SG said, he'd have taken 2 points before a ball was kicked in both games. Hard for us not to qualify from this position. Keep it going.

No I a Rangers fan who expects his manager to influence the game when it turns against us. Gerrard didn’t, he is not above criticism. His players gave him everything, when they needed him tonight, he gave them nothing in return. Fact.
That is nonsense he gave them his confidence in them and the chance to see it out! Btw they are a good team who never gave up on their game same as last time and tbf yes we should have won twice but some of our defending was found wanting! Look hurts we did not win but on the other hand we did not lose and there is definitely room for improvement!

Tav had an indifferent night not bad not good either and along with Barisic their crosses were a let down however look where we are from what they all have done this season imo the best is yet to come!

That is nonsense he gave them his confidence in them and the chance to see it out! Btw they are a good team who never gave up on their game same as last time and tbf yes we should have won twice but some of our defending was found wanting! Look hurts we did not win but on the other hand we did not lose and there is definitely room for improvement!

Tav had an indifferent night not bad not good either and along with Barisic their crosses were a let down however look where we are from what they all have done this season imo the best is yet to come!
Don't pander to Declan mate.

Because he is one, had him sussed ages ago.

We have twice given away 2 goal leads against this team in a few weeks. If you are happy with that, you must have different expectations than me as a Rangers fan. The difference is, we now need to put out our strongest team out next time too, when we should have been able to rest key players before critical League games.
Do you live in the cuckoo's nest?

Benfica were a very good passing team,never gave the ball away cheaply or just humped it up the pitch,very very comfortable on the ball and never wasted a pass, stats from tonight regards their passing.
Rangers 372 passes
Benfica 613 passes

I think a bit of calming down is required from some on this thread!
For sure it’s disappointing loosing a 2 goal lead, but we more than competed against a top team.
Fine lines are what makes a massive difference in Europe, linesman must have had a blindfold on, and top teams will always get chances, and generally take them.
We’ve been excellent in Europe under SG, a bonus for me, however we’ve got bigger fish to fry.
Let’s not get too disappointed, and focus on the main prize.

I think a night like tonight behind closed doors hurts us. With a full Ibrox the squad must feel invincible. Look at the results we’ve achieved with a full house backing the team. Even recently.

harsh tht one... but mehbee a wee wake up call..not easy to take 6 points from a champions league caliber team nevermind the 2 we managed... hopefully it’s blinkers on and steely determination from here on in

I think it is frustration with most fans. In both games we have been in a fantastic position against a very good team and we have thrown it away.
Sorry, but every single time there are folk having tantrums the 'frustration' excuse gets rolled out.

There comes a point, especially when it's the same names losing the heid each time, where you just have to stop making excuses for people and call them out for being arseholes.

Agree with you on the "tackle" on Morelos - way high, nowhere near the ball, IMO it was a reckless boot, and should have been a red. Then the clip on Tav. And the missed handball penalty, of course. All on the same side of the pitch, and the linesman does SFA for all 3!

Nothing wrong with what he said and I agree with him also, threw both games away and shat the bed again.
Don't talk utter pish, try applauding the team for getting themselves into the position of getting themselves 2 goals in front of a high quality outfit. We were never in control of that game to throw it away. Benfica were always still going to be there round about. We had lower league English players, £50,000 players etc up against a multi million pound well drilled outfit. Under those conditions, we were brilliant to a man. Thank fekk I'm a bear and not one of those paedo cretins from across the city

Shhhhh don't tell anyone but we are unbeaten this season both at home and in Europe, top of both spl and Europa league group, have had something like 17 clean sheets.

Keep it quiet though, we are sh!tting the bed again
What have we learned from the first game against Benfica ? Nothing, we made the same mistakes tonight as we did away against them and it cost us wins in both games,as in the first game it wasn't difficult to see that they made positive changes and scored two goals from it, tonight leading 2-0 and the games won, they did the exact same thing as they did three weeks ago made key substitutions and came back from a defeat,while we stood and done nothing and not even one sub to shore us up at the back and as someone else pointed out earlier, that's now cost the club the best part of £800k.

Benfica were a very good passing team,never gave the ball away cheaply or just humped it up the pitch,very very comfortable on the ball and never wasted a pass, stats from tonight regards their passing.
Rangers 372 passes
Benfica 613 passes

Rafael Silva will be playing at a top side within the next 6-18 months.

I'd say that's the best side we've played under Gerrard. Leverkusen the only side that can challenge that argument but Benfica impressed me more.

What have we learned from the first game against Benfica ? Nothing, we made the same mistakes tonight as we did away against them and it cost us wins in both games,as in the first game it wasn't difficult to see that they made positive changes and scored two goals from it, tonight leading 2-0 and the games won, they did the exact same thing as they did three weeks ago made key substitutions and came back from a defeat,while we stood and done nothing and not even one sub to shore us up at the back and as someone else pointed out earlier, that's now cost the club the best part of £800k.
Chill out man. We are in great shape overall. On to Sunday now

Reactions: SCG
Don't talk utter pish, try applauding the team for getting themselves into the position of getting themselves 2 goals in front of a high quality outfit. We were never in control of that game to throw it away. Benfica were always still going to be there round about. We had lower league English players, £50,000 players etc up against a multi million pound well drilled outfit. Under those conditions, we were brilliant to a man. Thank fekk I'm a bear and not one of those paedo cretins from across the city

Spot on m8, we are punching way above our weight. McGregor, Arfield, Davis, Balogun all free transfers and the steal of the century Kamara at 50k. I was disappointed after the game until I remembered this again, we should be taking massive plaudits for where we are as a team just now.

What an inane response. Go get checked for Covid then if you have a sniff. If you are happy at Gerrard tonight you know nothing about football. That was utterly avoidable and any real Rangers fan knows

I think a night like tonight behind closed doors hurts us. With a full Ibrox the squad must feel invincible. Look at the results we’ve achieved with a full house backing the team. Even recently.
Could you imagine the atmosphere with us being two goals up that would have given the players a big lift and we might have won but a draw is still a good result.

Annoying af to let the 2 goal lead get away, but we have to be happy overall. Benfica are a cracking outfit and by some distance the best team we'll play this season, barring an extended run.

It actually highlights how embarrassing the mentally challengeds result was earlier on. They got bullwhipped not once but twice by a rotten Sparta Prague side. They were absolutely hopeless on the ball and still scudded them.

They are by far the best of the three opponents we have in the group and they are out the way with us in a better head to head. We win the two games against the weaker sides (last game should be a dead rubber for Poznan) and we win the group.

Benfica should be in the CL and eventually struggled to two draws against us.

Just sit back and think of the progress we have made in the last three seasons.

Have I to sit here applauding because we drew when it was just like three weeks ago like groundhog day all over again. We learned nothing from the previous game against them and their substitutions were key in both games and lack of substitutions cost us in both these games of that you cannot argue.

For a team that was missing several key first team players we should be beating them and using that advantage and sitting smoking the cigar tonight already qualified.

It isn't just me that isn't happy with the lack of subs in both games,all we had to do was take Morelos off,stick another defender on and fresh legs in the middle and close them out for the last ten minutes.

I would have taken two draws against them when the group was drawn, but looking at the positions we were in in both games,both healthy leads,very comfortable especially when they were down to 10 men for most of the game in Portugal and blew both games in the last ten minutes in both games,you'll need to excuse me for being pissed off.

You can be pissed off at the away game, thats fair, they are two totally different things.

We were under zero pressure and squabbling over scoring the 4th and 5th

We were under constant pressure tonight playing shape and timewasting. We had zero options to help with that late in the match. Benfica, had world class options and could make 5 changes.

You can be pissed off at the away game, thats fair, they are two totally different things.

We were under zero pressure and squabbling over scoring the 4th and 5th

We were under constant pressure tonight playing shape and timewasting. We had zero options to help with that late in the match. Benfica, had world class options and could make 5 changes.

Ah but big staunch Stevie wants to win every game and if you don't agree you're a mentally challenged!

They are by far the best of the three opponents we have in the group and they are out the way with us in a better head to head. We win the two games against the weaker sides (last game should be a dead rubber for Poznan) and we win the group.

Benfica should be in the CL and eventually struggled to two draws against us.

Just sit back and think of the progress we have made in the last three seasons.

Sit back and think of the progress we have made since the first double header against Progres.

Back