Another bonus to the two benfica games

PT98

Official Ticketer
Playing the best team in the 3rd and 4th games isnt ideal. In previous European campaigns we have started well, only for the luck of the draw to pair us with the best team in the group for these 2 games, suffer two losses then be up against it.

This time we have came through it still top of the group. That's a massive psychological advantage.

It’s put us in a fantastic position and again a positive contribution towards the coefficient which we’ll hopefully reap the benefit of in the coming seasons. Teams will absolutely be viewing us as one to avoid.

For all the positives we still have, we threw away FOUR goals while in front, shut up shop after 1st both time and we are through already and top the group.

I really don’t think we are good enough defensively to sit back with 10 men behind the ball
We weren't good enough to go toe to toe with them either though.
They worked us ever so hard throughout the game and we got tired. Had Jack & Aribo been available we might have made the changes that would've helped us hold out.
As it is, we got a well deserved point and are still top of the group.

For all the positives we still have, we threw away FOUR goals while in front, shut up shop after 1st both time and we are through already and top the group.
The game in Lisbon,we were in control and should've been further ahead, we blew it.
Last night, Benfica controlled most of the game and we still got a point, to stay top. We didn't deserve any more from the game.

It's disappointing because if we held both 2 goal leads, we would have won the group with two games to spare, but there is not a fan who would not take the position we are in just now before a ball was kicked.

I think the psychological factor could be immense. Our players must have taken a big boost from EL so far, both this season and last and confidence works wonders in sport.

I thought we looked really nervy last night (Likewise with Leverkusen) so that confidence boost would be welcomed. I'm just not sure it will be as inspiring as it should be due to losing the 2 goal lead in both games though. We need to get the belief that we can duke it out with these teams.

That's o.g. was the turning point for Benfica got their tails up saying that if we had been awarded the penalty 3-0 no way back. On the bright side X amount of cash for 2 points and X amount of cash for 5 goals top of the league on the head to head with the TOP SEEDS one win away from qualifying and more income after Christmas from Europe TV money in full? and the scum got bigger and they are the top seeds in their group!

There isn't many teams in the world who could shut up shop for 80+ minutes against that Benfica team and come away with three points.

The game in Lisbon,we were in control and should've been further ahead, we blew it.
Last night, Benfica controlled most of the game and we still got a point, to stay top. We didn't deserve any more from the game.
Agreed . I was far angrier after Lisbon as we had the lead of 2 goals against ten men . We could’ve shut up shop and didn’t . Last night was 11 v 11 and a draw was fair

I think at the start of europa campaign we were told you'll ,sitting top of the section and drawing with Benfica twice you would of bit the hand off them,let's not forget Benfica are an excellent team.
We have came a long long way with limited funds not like others who have had a free hand for 6 years with the worst record in Europe and have only embarrassed scottish football
WATP

We have gone toe to toe with a very good team who have spent a lot of money on transfer fees compared to us, very happy with where we are at this stage of our development.

They worked us ever so hard throughout the game and we got tired. Had Jack & Aribo been available we might have made the changes that would've helped us hold out.
Agree 100%

We shouldn’t be in thinking on any less than qualification. Our aspiration now should be to at least equal Benfica’s next two results to progress as group winners.

Agree with you on this and manager mentioned it post match. They way they moved the ball about we were always going to tire. I think we can be disappointed as we were in front twice but the level of opposition was a very high calibre and sometimes you have to give credit to them. The way I look at it there has been no harm done and the players will only get better going toe to toe with them.

Good and common sense post. I never seen the game, just following the match thread, you seem to have described it pretty well.

That's o.g. was the turning point for Benfica got their tails up saying that if we had been awarded the penalty 3-0 no way back. On the bright side X amount of cash for 2 points and X amount of cash for 5 goals top of the league on the head to head with the TOP SEEDS one win away from qualifying and more income after Christmas from Europe TV money in full? and the scum got bigger and they are the top seeds in their group!
Was 1 nil at the time of the hand ball .

The thing I don’t get with all the negativity is this.
If we had been two goals down and come back to draw in both legs everyone would have been raving about our fantastic resilience and never say die attitude. People would have felt as if they were victories. Yet it would still be the same two points gained.

If we win against Liege next week, and Benfica win or draw we'll be playing a Poznan team who have already been eliminated in our final game. All we have to do is match Benfica's result and we will top the group.

I disagree that Benfica controlled the game. Benfica has 2 shots on target and scored both. I wouldn’t say they were a top side either, they were there to be beaten both games and we blew it. Their first was terrible defending from Tavanier, the second was on the cards. They used up all their subs and looked fresher and quicker at the end of the game we looked like a our legs had gone.

Just because they dominated the game doesn't mean we should throw away another two goal lead?

And they had 2 shots on target all game? hardly a battering

Beat Liege at Ibrox to go through match day 5. What Rangers fan wouldn’t have bit your hand off for that?

I'd fancy us to beat them comfortably as well, they're not great at all.

We were denied an absolute stonewall penalty. That's a game changer.

Back