JamesTavernier vs Borna Barišić. Who is the better player?

Who is better?

• Tav

• Borna

Results are only viewable after voting.

LucyBlue

Simple question.

Possibly difficult to answer.

Both are easily comparable...so who is the better player in your opinion?

Overall we get more out of Tav. More of our play comes down the right hand side, and he links up better with players inside.

Crossing wise, Barisic needs less opportunities to get it right. But when he gets it right, Tav can put in a better dead or live ball from deep, or wide right across goal.

Also, I feel like Bassey could come in and do a job for Borna. Tav is the one player in our team whose quality we can’t replace.

That being said, I was loving how advanced Barisic was getting against Aberdeen. Tav was pinging balls over the top of Aberdeen, and for some reason it was Borna who was on his lonesome centre of the pitch looking to get on the end of it.

Bottom line though, we have two quality fullbacks who are integral to the way we play

Barisic has a world class left peg, but his all round game is possibly inferior to Tavs.

Barisic level of crossing is on another level. His dead ball expertise is also a lot more consistent.

However...

Tav is naturally a more physical, faster, stronger, fitter player. Tav is more comfortable on the ball, cutting inside, having a pop at goal or playing a through pass, you'd opt for Tav every time. Tav is more of a goal threat (from open play).

Tavernier is, at least, based on this seasons form, the better more complete player. And I say that as a huge fan of Borna.

Tav for me.
Better athlete
Better numbers
Both have defensive frailties
Both can take set plays
Both are utterly fantastic

Barisic has a world class left peg, but his all round game is possibly inferior to Tavs.

Barisic level of crossing is on another level. His dead ball expertise is also a lot more consistent.

However...

Tav is naturally a more physical, faster, stronger, fitter player. Tav is more comfortable on the ball, cutting inside, having a pop at goal or playing a through pass, you'd opt for Tav every time. Tav is more of a goal threat (from open play).

Tavernier is, at least, based on this seasons form, the better more complete player. And I say that as a huge fan of Borna.

Very good summary.

Both cracking players, but Tav for me.

His engine is unbelievable, his contribution to attack is up there with any fullback in football, he's become solid defensively, he drives the team, he never misses a game... He's just a brilliant, brilliant player.

Tav offers more to our team in terms of combination play on the right hand side and goals than Borna does on the left but Borna is technically more gifted as can be seen time and again with his crossing accuracy.

Someone once made the comment about Tav that he’s probably not even bothered to register with a GP since he moved to Scotland.

His athletic ability is exceptional.

But, im going to say Borna, I think he’s the better defender but I’d also say we could all be doing with appreciating just how good we have it with the pair of them right now

Barisic, his delivery shades it, better free kicks and far less prone to brain farts too so his overall game is better. So far this season though? Tav has been the best player in the league.

The one who will sell for the most money is the answer.
Definitely Tav is the better player for me.

We need to sell one if our valued assets in the summer. If it was Borna I could live with that, assuming we get a fair price. Then bring in the Bassey.

Reactions: KL2
If you asked this question in August, I would have said Borna, and probably the majority would agree.

But now? Tav. He's been immense this season. No slight on Borna, who's still delivering, but Tav for me.

Tbh, we're lucky to have two great fullbacks on the books.

Last edited:
Borna better all round footballer however tav immeasurably more important to our team and club - to a point where I would be pretty concerned if anything was to happen to him.

I haven’t looked at the poll but have a feeling Borna will be winning by quite a bit.
I think we’d miss Tav more though and will be voting for him when I finish typing this.
Both fantastic players though

edit....just voted and looked, surprised at that.

Last edited:
Weird answer but barasic is the better player, but tav is a better player for rangers just now. Barasic could play at a higher level I reckon

The one who will sell for the most money is the answer.
Tav and Borna won’t be sold for high fees imo. Borna the more likely one to go but the two are in their primes right now and they are both above 27. Can’t see teams coming in for them due to this but that’s not a complaint at all, we’ll be a champions league level side soon if the progress keeps going the way it is.

Tav for me. I looked up how old they both were, expecting Borna to be early 20’s. Nope, both very similar in age (28).

I think Borna is more replaceable than Tav. But then you look at all those crosses he’s put in (Kent at Parkhead, Morelos at Feyeonord and Porto). I dunno now. I wish Tav could do what Borna can do crosses wise, but Tav is more important to our all round game.

Tav is some athlete, Borna is technically great, both great crossers, can both hit a free kick. B.B possible edge it if it came to a square go to settle things, no much between them tho .

Very hard to choose. I picked Borna for his set pieces and superb crossing ability. But now I'm changing my mind because of Tav's goals and not just from the spot. But could probably change my mind again several times each match. Great to have them both and two fine players in Bassey and Patterson to back them up

It’s Tav on current form, but there’s points where Barisic is better too.

Not a great deal between then overall but Tav brings more to the team.

Back