JamesTavernier vs Borna Barišić. Who is the better player?

Who is better?

• Tav

• Borna

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tavernier for me.

If Tav was any other nationality, he'd have a load of caps at International level.

Barisic has a world class left peg, but his all round game is possibly inferior to Tavs.

Barisic level of crossing is on another level. His dead ball expertise is also a lot more consistent.

However...

Tav is naturally a more physical, faster, stronger, fitter player. Tav is more comfortable on the ball, cutting inside, having a pop at goal or playing a through pass, you'd opt for Tav every time. Tav is more of a goal threat (from open play).

Tavernier is, at least, based on this seasons form, the better more complete player. And I say that as a huge fan of Borna.
Good summary. We are lucky to have both players at the same time.

I’m genuinely amazed people think Barisic is a better footballer. I love Borna but I’m really at a loss as to people thinking he’s better than Tav. People saying Barisic has a better technique than Tav is genuinely bizarre to me.

Tav is literally better at everything Barisic can do. The only thing Barisic has over him is an incredible left foot. The one thing that I suppose can go either way is a cross on the run which they are probably equally great at but if it’s simply who is the better footballer is Tav by a distance.

Happy to have them both though!

I reckon Tav could play anywhere on the pitch and look good. I love Barisic, his crossing and dead ball abilities are genuinely world-class. This sounds stupid but I think Borna is the better full-back but Tav is the better footballer, the skipper plays as more of a support striker these days in any case!

Whatever the academics of the argument are I am delighted that we have the two best full-backs in Scotland at Ibrox.

Borna is the more polished player and that for me shaded it. Tav is fantastic, but just lacks that little bit for me. Not a criticism, both fantastic players and Tav has excelled this year as a player and captain.

I’m genuinely amazed people think Barisic is a better footballer. I love Borna but I’m really at a loss as to people thinking he’s better than Tav.

Tav is literally better at everything Barisic can do. The only thing Barisic has over him is an incredible left foot.
You know what this place is like. Quite a lot of the people who have spent the last four years screaming "I wank dugs" are never going to admit they were wrong.

Tav for me. Love barasic but just think tavs a better all round player. Also believe tav is more likely to take a man on if need be. Amazing to have both!!

I went with Tav as he is currently playing better. I do think borna is a player though, just not been as good Tav this season.

You know what this place is like. Quite a lot of the people who have spent the last four years screaming "I wank dugs" are never going to admit they were wrong.

Honestly, I feel like this has been said about Tavernier at least 2 or 3 times over the last few seasons and every time he’s ended up crumbling at some point and playing as bad as the rest of them when the team have collapsed. Can we not wait until we get to the end, win something and Tav has a seasons with of consistent performances before this sort of thing? And either way, if he does it this season it doesn’t exactly erase previous seasons does it? I’m sure people will be honest and man enough to say he’s a had a brilliant year and done what a few thought he wasnt capable of.

Also I’m amazed anyone could say Tav had a better delivery or was better on set pieces than Barisic.

I think we have more than adequate replacements for most positions on the park bar right back, I get the boy Patterson has potential but he’s got big boots to fill if god forbid Tav gets injured it’ll be very detrimental to how play our game.

If you could put Borna's crossing ability and spirit into Tav then you'd have one of the best fullbacks in world.

Really don't get these threads.....

Me too.

You end up with people almost “dissing” either one or two of our finest players.

It’s like the tiresome Helander v Balogun debates. It’s not enough to acknowledge we need multiple good defenders, you have to insist “your” guy is better till you’re blue in the face.

Tav, think he’s fitter, quicker, stronger, better in the air, more of a goal threat when he gets in the box.

Only way I think Barisic is better is the quality of his crossing is more consistent but that might just be because Tav is probably putting double the amount of balls into the box.

Tav all round better player and more important to the team overall.

if you had to pick a player to put a cross on someone’s foot or head 9 times out of 10 it would be Barasic.

what a pair of full backs we have to play in this system.

both are now in the peak of their careers and we are extremely lucky to have them for a combined fee of about 2 mill.

From a neutral perspective I would have said Barisic until this season, I think Tavernier has been terrific. So I would go for Tavernier.
Yeah, Borna has been ‘quiet’ since coming back from injury (that said thought he was his old self against benfica) but Tav has been consistent this year and stepped-up a level, whichi didnt think was possible. So, yeah this season i’d say tav.

We simply don't have anywhere near the level of finances required, if we needed to replace Tav like for like.

Borna feels far more replaceable. In fact I would be quite content with Bassey stepping up next season, should we cash in on Borna.

The two best fullbacks in the league by a mile . Actually if I was a Scotland fan I would be asking if Tav can play because of residence.

Last season Barisic was better than Tav had ever been.

This season Tav is eclipsing him.

I still suspect Borna would go for more money

If I was asked this question last season I would say BB, but now I would say JT.

So all in all I would say they are as good as each other .

It really is 50/50 so I voted for tav because he has the likelihood of scoring and has been here through the hard times

This season Tav by a fair distance.
Previously Borna has never made the errors Tav has in the past though.
I know it's difficult to compare leagues, but it would be interesting to see if Man City would see a major drop off playing Tav instead of Kyle Walker at right back? I'm not for a minute saying Tav is good enough for the England team.

I'd say Borna.

Tav is an athlete, a model pro, and on his day a cracking footballer and leader.

Borna though, on techincal ability alone could cut it top 6 across most of the European leagues. The man is a Croatian International with a rare attribute - the "wand of a left foot".

Honesty can't separate them.

Both outstanding and a major reason for our great form in defence and attack this season.

Borna is by far the better player. Tav is great dont get me wrong, but he is a rubbish defender.

Stats are fine but if you want a defender who can chip in with goals, assists and importantly defend, its borna for me

Tav for me. I looked up how old they both were, expecting Borna to be early 20’s. Nope, both very similar in age (28).

I think Borna is more replaceable than Tav. But then you look at all those crosses he’s put in (Kent at Parkhead, Morelos at Feyeonord and Porto). I dunno now. I wish Tav could do what Borna can do crosses wise, but Tav is more important to our all round game.
Most, by a chunk, of Tavernier’s assists have came from crossses.
Here’s a theory.
You have players who prefer one foot to another.
That’s obvious, I know.
However, do you have players who prefer to head the ball with a particular side of the head?
I did so I’m sure there are plenty of others.
I preferred crosses from the right.
I’m naturally right footed although I was forced, courtesy of a slap across the head, to get my left up to as high a standard as possible, and wondered if this preference was natural.
I’ve never seen it discussed before.
(I’ll give this it’s own thread in a minute.)
Could it be that this, more right footers than left, is what makes Tavernier’s crosses more successful?

IMO Barisic is the better player and I think will go to a top 4 EPL side for a large fee in due course like Tierney. His crossing is the best I've seen since Tommy McLean, invariably dropping on the attackers head, whereas Tavernier tries to drop the ball in a dangerous area and can be a bit hit and miss. Also Barisic is the better defensively and more consistent. The roles that they play in the side are not ones that they are likely to get the opportunity to play in with somebody else, and for me Barisic would find it a lot easier to fit into a normal full backs role. There's a reason Barisic plays for his country and Tavernier has never been picked for his, both being similar standard international teams.

Good question op.
I’ve read all the posts and still can’t make my mind up but both excellent players.
I’m stumped!!

Back