Crucial period ahead

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
...and one that is perhaps more crucial off the pitch.

On paper both teams should win their games before we host the crash barrier dismantling crash barriers.

But....not a man jack among us has any peace of mind about winter breaks, Jan/Feb fixtures etc. We all have to hope that the manager, coaches and players don't share any such fears or superstitions. Form is fine, squad deep, confidence high, but we need to stay calm and dismiss the "we're crap after the New Year" stuff that haunts us all.

I cannot see much stopping us ON the pitch.

Last edited:
This upcoming away fixture v Ross County will tell us a lot IMO

In recent times we'd potentially drop points and lower our performance for a fixture like this.

County just off the back of an historic win v the tims, we've just had a very draining European match.

If we can fly out the traps and show hunger and desire in this game, it will set us up perfectly for the battles ahead IMO

I’m looking at the domestic games and having absolutely zero fear.

Nobody in Scotland can live with us, and it’s the first time I’ve felt like that in years.

Last night actually made me think that the slow start was down to resting so many for Falkirk - two games a week is nothing to a squad this fit.

I’m looking at the domestic games and having absolutely zero fear.

Nobody in Scotland can live with us, and it’s the first time I’ve felt like that in years.

Last night actually made me think that the slow start was down to resting so many for Falkirk - two games a week is nothing to a squad this fit.
We will drop points somewhere, it's how we respond that's important.

On current form we should wipe the floor with anyone domestically. But...over the course of a season there will be peaks and troughs in performance. We’ve already seen what off days at Almondvale and Easter Road can produce.

Let’s not forget before they beat Celtic Ross County lost to Killie who played more or less the whole match with 10 men.

Kelly looks to be one of it not their best players also not able to play.

We will stick at least three past them imo.

I do feel the optimism needs to get rained in a bit.

One game at a time just like the management team keep going on about.
Think you’re partly right, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with us getting excited because this team is very exciting and what they’re doing but when you see some of the comments last night it first half it’s clear some people need to just be a bit more realistic and take a few steps back.

This game on Sunday is really our biggest game for years . Make no mistake the yahoo are watching us praying with all their might that we drop something . What we have managed to do so far apart from at Hibs and Livingston is we haven’t given them that chink of light they need to see . The reason Sunday is so crucial is it’s absolutely the type of game they will almost expect us to trip up . We struggled to beat county at Ibrox so it’s a massive , massive game on Sunday . Our game kicks off first so it’s once again so crucial we don’t give them the chink they crave . We win and say “ over to you” and the pressure all goes back on them . Getting nervy already but we CAN do it . Come on!!!

I’m on a knife edge - trying to be cautious, and not get carried away, but also feeling that we’re finally seeing the Rangers machine get up to speed in a way we haven’t managed in a decade

One game at a time mantra has to be followed. Small blocks of 4 games at a time to focus on as a mini league. If we can stay professional and treat each game with equal importance we should be in a good place to play the rotten mob. Every game is a potential banana skin , Ross county, hibs, Dundee Utd are all tricky if we dont treat them right. The game against that lot Is a must win for them but not for us, if we avoid defeat they will be in trouble

Let’s not forget before they beat Celtic Ross County lost to Killie who played more or less the whole match with 10 men.

Kelly looks to be one of it not their best players also not able to play.

We will stick at least three past them imo.
How is he getting on? Is he playing regularly?

With regards to the next game against Ross County, no worries from me. Lets be honest, it should be a stroll in the park and at some points i expect to see cigars and slippers on.

We have a tough game Sunday, mainly driven by the kickoff time, 1 days recovery, travelling, and post high intensity European game.

next week will be harder coming back from Poland on the Friday before another early kick off in Dundee. It would be unnatural not to drop points at some stage in the run in but we’ve given ourselves space to cope with that.
Ross county will be on a high.

There officially isn’t one. Only the Tims have made a point about heading off to Dubai for a 4 day camp

Should they fall further behind I fully expect them to cling to this as a chance to turn their season around as it has been the last 2 years. It's so important we continue to rack up the wins and extend the gap as I expect them to come back strong in January when we've our toughest period of the season.

...and one that is perhaps more crucial off the pitch.

On paper both teams should win their games before we host the crash barrier dismantling crash barriers.

But....not a man jack among us has any peace of mind about winter breaks, Jan/Feb fixtures etc. We all have to hope that the manager, coaches and players don't share any such fears or superstitions. Form is fine, squad deep, confidence high, but we need to stay calm and dismiss the "we're crap after the New Year" stuff that haunts us all.

I cannot see much stopping us ON the pitch.
Every period is crucial for us.

Each week that passes where we don't falter gives teams added motivation. We've always been the team to beat but this season more than ever for most.

We'll come a cropper at some point, easy to forget we've already dropped points on the road this season, but we have responded well on both occasions.

I might not put this across right, but the team have ‘earned’ the right to drop points without an overreaction from fans if you know what I mean.
I think we can safely say there will be a massive overreaction.

20 mins into the game last night someone posted on the match thread - "This is the start of our usual slump at this part of the season"

Aye. Some folk need to calm down a wee bit. We have another 8 games before the end of the month and then a very difficult January if we’re still the same points ahead come the end of the month we have every right to be confident.

This squad has been absolutely outstanding this season. I am massively proud of the results and performances and it's the most relaxed I've been in years going into each domestic game fully believing the points are coming home with us (I include even some of the last years of Walter in that).

European form has been great for a few seasons now and I feel we are proven on that stage to hold our own against some of the best teams we can face.

Thee one outstanding thing they have to show us is what the OP suggests. It's carrying this form through the duration of the season and finishing the job. I have greater belief this year in the actual team and depth of the squad - but I absolutely have the underlying fear of January onwards seeing a slump again.

If the team can keep the momentum through that first couple of months of 2021, then I'm sure we'll see it out, but the first sign of a wobble is where the pressure will ramp up and the mentality will be put to the test properly. I also think we shouldn't rest on the idea that the mhanks can't find their feet and get a good run of form going as they did last season to keep the pressure up. Focus on winning every game and showing the attitude and confidence we have so far and keep it firmly in our hands regardless of them.

I might not put this across right, but the team have ‘earned’ the right to drop points without an overreaction from fans if you know what I mean.

I agree with that but we know it won’t happen.

When we went behind last night we had people on here saying this was the start of the usual winter slump.

I shudder to think how they’ll deal with the next dropped points, especially if we blink before Celtic next do

Me being overly optimistic will have zero effect on the team. The only danger of me being optimistic is looking silly if it all goes south and looking silly is not something a guy like me can afford to fear overly :D

So long as the team keep the head, we are free to be as wildly optimistic as we want. It is football and we are supporters, it is our job to be optimistic to the point of delusion.

Back