We must exercise caution Bears

Two of the examples cited of us combusting involved serious fixture congestion. Season 1978/79 saw us requiring THREE games to see off Hibs in the SC Final, and of course 2007/08 should need little re examination. If there is going to be any pile up possibly through covid, it's going to affect their already congested list more than us. I normally fall into the over cautious category, however it is very difficult to see us losing 4 games, draw 6, or any combination of the 2.

Great as it looks right this minute - it's still far from over
Am I pleased, happy, even a wee bit smug ? Of course I am-
I've got some bragging rights over the mhanky mob - something that's been in short supply in far too long a time - but the real gloating can only come after the trophies are back on our shelf where they belong

Would I be regally pissed off if we fouled up now ? Of course I would - it really should be ours to loose

But having suffered before now with mishaps & slips - when things looked done & dusted - I'm not getting ahead of myself

One of my worst disappontments came as a 13 year old in 1967 - when we failed to lift the ECWC
I was completely convinced that trophy was ours -

But it did teach me at an early age - better to be cautious / realistic till it's confirmed & well & truly in the bag

Just to put it into context, they basically need to go on a better run than we are currently on right now to even get to 6 points behind and hoping for us to lose against other teams.

My heart is urging caution, my head is screaming that it’s over.
It´s the other way around for me!

Plenty of time to enjoy it when its mathematically over. I don't grudge anyone celebrating early, it just won't be me. Too many false dawns for me personally.

The party of all partys is on the horizon, though.

It’s not over until it’s over.

In my lifetime we arguably threw away 1966, 1968, 1979, 1998 and 2008, although chicanery and fixture-fiddling played a role in 3 of these.

Hearts chucked away 1959 and 1986.

Celtic blew 2005 and were awarded an incomplete title last year by a rule-change.

Aye ok - you missed out Devon Loch who threw away the 1956 Grand National. The difference is we are further ahead than Devon Loch was, and tell me in how many of the examples quoted above did any team have a 21pt lead?? Even adjusted for 2 pts for a win

Plenty of time to enjoy it when its mathematically over. I don't grudge anyone celebrating early, it just won't be me. Too many false dawns for me personally.

The party of all partys is on the horizon, though.
Don't think anyone is celebrating as such just a little bit more relaxed about our future prospects.

Confident to the extent of smugness and comfortable that even if we do slip up, which we will, the title will ultimately be ours.

As such much more relaxed about the situation, enjoying our victories week by week, laughing at their ongoing problems and patiently waiting on the mother of all parties to get underway :)

I did happen to read over 2007/08 results last night as I remember the collapse but was t sure if the extent. We duffed up royally in the last 9 games.

Definitely cause for caution, however, confident in this team to keep consistency.

We played about 8 games in 20 days. That won't happen this season.

We were completely screwed over by a cheating Celtic (game cancelled when Phil O'Donnell died, but not when Tommy Burns did...convenient since they had some key injuries with Phil).

Then the SFA forcing us to play so many games in quick succession, basically giving us no chance for the UEFA Cup. I remember that cup final we played and we were dead on our feet.

This season is different because Celtic are dreadful. They are a basket case and going from one calamity to the next. Someone said the other day that Lennon's best ever run of results with Celtic is 12 wins on the bounce - they'd need to basically win every game from now until the end of the season to win the league and that's not going to happen.

The one game at a time mantra from the Manager and the players ensures there’s no loss of focus and we get the job done without too much drama but as fans I can see it both ways, the way we’re going about it and the position we’re in it’s hard to see us being caught but stranger things have happened and simple arithmetic tells us nothing is won yet.

I have felt for a wee while that January was going to be a big month for both clubs...they need us to drop points whilst capitalising fully on any slip ups but as things stand they lost more ground, see off the spoon burners and the yellow brick wall it will be time to get the champagne in for the party...if the filth lose any more points this month it will be difficult to resist opening the bottle even with a dozen games left to play.

I get what you're saying OP but people have different ways of looking at it. To me, the league has been in the bag for a while. If I end up being wrong then so be it, but I'm not going to kid myself on just because I'm emotionally invested in Rangers.

I do think it's a different story when it comes to the players. Having the right mentality is crucial and I suppose you could argue that if the majority of fans act like it's over the team might believe it and become complacent.

But I don't think Gerrard will allow that.

I think it was as recent as the Aberdeen presser where he responded to a question about the season so far with "we haven't had any successes yet". We've also responded brilliantly to every setback so far this season.

So I get not wanting to celebrate early so to speak, but not for me.

Having been at the game on the 21st May 1979 and seeing Doyle sent off I will enjoy the moments just now but until fatty starts warbling I won’t me making any claims.

I'm enjoying their meltdown hugely but I have no intention of actually claiming victory in the title race yet. We're in a fantastic position due to Rangers excellence this season primarily. It's in our hands and I'm confident we will win the title, even if we have a few bumps along the way.

Nothing should stop us enjoying their current pain but until it's actually done, it isn't actually done.

Aye ok - you missed out Devon Loch who threw away the 1956 Grand National. The difference is we are further ahead than Devon Loch was, and tell me in how many of the examples quoted above did any team have a 21pt lead?? Even adjusted for 2 pts for a win
We’re 4 wins ahead if they win their games in hand. There are still two Celtic games to go.

What I’m concerned about is that there is too much focus on Mickey-taking rather than on the opportunity to rid ourselves of the corruption which would damage us in future seasons.

It’s the wrong psychology. I want to go for the jugular and rip it out.

I’m enjoying every minute of this season. We’ve been a joy to watch at times, and rolled up our sleeves and dug out the kind of results that champions manage to find a way to get on other occasions.

Watching their implosion on and off the pitch has been hilarious.

However, it isn’t over and until it’s mathematically over I certainly won’t be proclaiming us as champions, yet but it doesn’t mean I’m not loving every single minute of this season, though.

We were completely screwed over by a cheating Celtic (game cancelled when Phil O'Donnell died, but not when Tommy Burns did...convenient since they had some key injuries with Phil).

Then the SFA forcing us to play so many games in quick succession, basically giving us no chance for the UEFA Cup. I remember that cup final we played and we were dead on our feet.

This season is different because Celtic are dreadful. They are a basket case and going from one calamity to the next. Someone said the other day that Lennon's best ever run of results with Celtic is 12 wins on the bounce - they'd need to basically win every game from now until the end of the season to win the league and that's not going to happen.

That is true. The scenario was rather different. "duffed up royally" was a poor choice of words on reflection.

It’s still not over, I’m totally starting to believe it’s going to happen but scared to admit for fear of jinxing it. Yes no one else has beaten them since livi last season but, they don’t have to get beaten, they just need to draw

We’re 4 wins ahead if they win their games in hand. There are still two Celtic games to go.

What I’m concerned about is that there is too much focus on Mickey-taking rather than on the opportunity to rid ourselves of the corruption which would damage us in future seasons.

The wrong psychology for who?

How are you going to go for the jugular?

And how does people taking the mickey in a football forum detract from your ability to go for the jugular. If you are even in a position to do such a thing?

I’m enjoying every minute of this season. We’ve been a joy to watch at times, and rolled up our sleeves and dug out the kind of results that champions manage to find a way to get on other occasions.

Watching their implosion on and off the pitch has been hilarious.

However, it isn’t over and until it’s mathematically over I certainly won’t be proclaiming us as champions, yet but it doesn’t mean I’m not loving every single minute of this season, though.
Championees, Championees!

We were dead on our feet against QotS in the SC final, but got there.

Sittin behind Fergie when he picked up the cup that day.

It isn’t over until it’s over. Unless it is mathematically impossible for them to win we celebrate nothing.

This forum has gone mental. Far more threads about them than about us. We need to keep focussed abs keep winning.

I did happen to read over 2007/08 results last night as I remember the collapse but was t sure if the extent. We duffed up royally in the last 9 games.

Definitely cause for caution, however, confident in this team to keep consistency.

EDIT: On reflection, poor choice of words from myself not taking into account other factors which came in to play that season.

That was against a half decent Celtic team.

Even if we lost 5. games we would still win it.

No Chance that mob are winning every game.

Shane Duffy

Agree the forum has gone mental. But it is the OGAAT crew infecting every thread with negativity that is the mental part
I would describe the one game at a time view as more natural caution than negativity. We as a support, both young and old, have gone through hell since 2012.

Negativity is when supporters pan some of our players instead of supporting them. I am not saying you are one of those supporters @Tailwind but that to me is a lot more damaging.

The Aberdeen game also showed that when the team switch off as we did for a time in the second half, we allowed Aberdeen to score a defensively sloppy goal. We got back in control and saw the game out and all was well in the end. However I am sure it brings it home to Gerrard and his players we cannot ever let up until the game is won.

If some of the support want to start celebrating 55 now, then go ahead. However the one game at a time brigade are just as entitled to do just that and leave the celebrations until we have something tangible to celebrate.

All imho

Agree the forum has gone mental. But it is the OGAAT crew infecting every thread with negativity that is the mental part
What does OGAAT mean?

I’m certainly far from negative, usually get labelled a happy clapper ffs B-D but I think I’m allowed to be cautious. Optimistic, but cautiously. I’m loving every minute of this season, how can that possibly be construed as negative?

Thankfully the management and players won’t think it’s over yet.

I will continue to be a wreck watching our games. Anything can happen in football over a few mins never mind 20 odd games. We know it’s unlikely but unlikely things do happen. Helicopter Sunday. That’s why you can’t put you mortgage on stick on ‘certainties’. It would take a catalogue of events to happen. They could go on an unbeaten run ( they tend not to get beaten by teams other than us ). Outrageous refereeing decisions and very bad luck on the field and even a terrible run of injuries, not to mention Covid could see them win the remaining old firm games and us slip up. Momentum and fear can kick in depending who’s on a run. Twelve points is not unsurpassable however unlikely.
Stranger things have happened. My anxiety, focus and refusing to celebrate ahead of time is clearly helping Rangers take one game at a time, be relentless, and drive towards victory. If I let that slip, I daren’t think of the consequences.

The wrong psychology for who?

How are you going to go for the jugular?

And how does people taking the mickey in a football forum detract from your ability to go for the jugular. If you are even in a position to do such a thing?
As a club and support we have to be far more ruthless.

That's far from being negative. Ultimately, it's a far more positive attitude.

Yes, take the mickey out of Shane Duffy but don't ignore the bigger picture that he shouldn't have played on Monday night and Celtic should pay the consequences.

Man I fucking hate the OGAAT mob.

It’s done, over, kaput.
That mob are history.

Relax, enjoy and dry your panties out.

Those of us in the “OGAAT mob” are in there because we’ve seen it all blow up in our faces before and seen it all blow up in the scums’ faces before.

Helicopter Sunday season. By February we looked dead and buried. Playing poorly and well behind the scum in the league. I was booking a weekend away for May/June the best price happened to be the last weekend of the season. I was scunnered because we We’re making an ar*e of it in the league so booked it anyway, assuming we were well out of the title race.

I sat at Ibrox with a perfect view of Jonas Thern hitting a screamer against the scum right into the top corner during the last OF game of the season. It looked like 10 in a row was all but signed, sealed and delivered.

There are numerous other examples that we’ve all sat and watch unfold with disbelief. Christ, even this season we’ve been 2 goals up against 10 men with 20 minutes left and not won the game.

If we win the league this year I’ve no doubt every one of us will celebrate like never before due to what we’ve been through during the last 10 years. We’re not there yet and I for one will be taking nothing nothing for granted until we’re mathematically out of site.

As much as I’ve enjoyed the recent euphoria nothing is in the bag yet.

many bears who lived through the seasons of :
1978-79 - we were heading for a treble & a European Cup at this stage of the season & the mhanky mob only had a run of league games to worry about, their pitch was so bad in the winter they never had any games to play in such conditions.

2007-2008- another treble for us on the horizon and a uefa cup run
Fixture pile up allied to a corrupt sfa hampered us.
What is there, 15 games left?

If the points total was reset today somehow and we all start from zero.points, and have 15 games left....I'd STILL be really confident of us winning this league.

We are well drilled, well motivated and confident.

Their players are not playing for the manager, and are tactically naive. They have a huge confidence problem too...you try sitting on a team coach in a foreign country with a mob throwing shit at you.

If we were level.on points right now we'd still romp it.

Enjoy it guys cmon.

Not taking anything for granted but neither thankfully is the manager and players. We will continue to take one game at a time but after the next three games the champagne will go in the fridge. But in the meantime I’m enjoying the poet pain.

As much as I’ve enjoyed the recent euphoria nothing is in the bag yet.

many bears who lived through the seasons of :
1978-79 - we were heading for a treble & a European Cup at this stage of the season & the mhanky mob only had a run of league games to worry about, their pitch was so bad in the winter they never had any games to play in such conditions.

2007-2008- another treble for us on the horizon and a uefa cup run
Fixture pile up allied to a corrupt sfa hampered us.
We shall not. We shall not be moved !

Wtf are you rabbling about? You said the league wasn't over - I say it is. What's jugulars got to do with it? How does any of this affect corruption??

It isn’t over until it’s over. Unless it is mathematically impossible for them to win we celebrate nothing.

This forum has gone mental. Far more threads about them than about us. We need to keep focussed abs keep winning.
I take on board all you say North. I have considered it and my considered opinion is... ITS ALL OVER!

Taught to be cautious... hoping the players / staff stay healthy in our ‘bubble’ ... that is my only real concern.

Those of us in the “OGAAT mob” are in there because we’ve seen it all blow up in our faces before and seen it all blow up in the scums’ faces before.

Helicopter Sunday season. By February we looked dead and buried. Playing poorly and well behind the scum in the league. I was booking a weekend away for May/June the best price happened to be the last weekend of the season. I was scunnered because we We’re making an ar*e of it in the league so booked it anyway, assuming we were well out of the title race.

I sat at Ibrox with a perfect view of Jonas Thern hitting a screamer against the scum right into the top corner during the last OF game of the season. It looked like 10 in a row was all but signed, sealed and delivered.

There are numerous other examples that we’ve all sat and watch unfold with disbelief. Christ, even this season we’ve been 2 goals up against 10 men with 20 minutes left and not won the game.

If we win the league this year I’ve no doubt every one of us will celebrate like never before due to what we’ve been through during the last 10 years. We’re not there yet and I for one will be taking nothing nothing for granted until we’re mathematically out of site.

Somebody please help me here - what was the maximum number of points we were behind in the Helicopter Sunday season? I honestly can't remember but I doubt it was double figures never mind 21!! Jeezus. We could be 30 points ahead with 10 games to go and the same people will be saying we need to watch the goal difference!

Miles to go and it only takes a covid outbreak for us for things to change quite quickly. Just keep winning.

We saw how quickly it fell apart last season and now there's a virus that could help that as well, yes it's a 12 point gap if they're even able to win all their games in hand but there's still 40% of the season to go. Get to March with a similar gap and only 8 matches left then i'll be as confident as others are

Celtic will drop points before we do

imo the back to back games versus livi will finish them off
Yes I agree. It’s done Bears & I very rarely get carried away.

Relax & enjoy...I’m dreaming of going unbeaten, winning the Scottish Cup & have a great run in Europa as league will be mathematically done in late March.

Supporters have to relax if we do drops points we have a great cushion & they will definitely drop more points than us before the end of the season.

Ge55ard, Coaches & Players have done so well this season & deserve massive credit but I believe with no supporters in the grounds this was key to our success.

Im one of the shitebag brigade im aftaid if we are winning 2 nil v them with 5 mins to go i still worry that they are going to score two goals. We are all different but i wont relax until its done

We saw how quickly it fell apart last season and now there's a virus that could help that as well, yes it's a 12 point gap if they're even able to win all their games in hand but there's still 40% of the season to go. Get to March with a similar gap and only 8 matches left then i'll be as confident as others are
They have dropped as many points in their last two games than we have all season long.

They have no chance whatsoever of getting back into any kind of challenge imo

Technically you're right. But people are allowed to enjoy the moment.

The bizarre notion that folk enjoying themselves on FF might somehow affect the league cracks me up.

I agree with the OP. We are an injury in midfield away from having a crisis so I’m counting nothing as being won yet.
Let’s beat Motherwell first and foremost.

Often wonder in discussions such as this at what point in the 8-0 victory over Hamilton did people accept that the points were secure.

Or when we went 5-1 up against celtic in 1988 with roughly half an hour of the game still to play did anyone really think that the game wasn't won at that point.

I do understand that the history of football is littered with numerous examples of almost miraculous come backs but they are, in fact, fairly rare particularly in situations such as we currently find ourselves in.

Technically you're right. But people are allowed to enjoy the moment.

The bizarre notion that folk enjoying themselves on FF might somehow affect the league cracks me up.

People come onto a discussion forum to shut down discussion, it's mental. Even if someone posts a thread which says 'the one game at a time mob can ignore' on they come to post 'one game at a time'.

Probably the same people who will post 'jinx' etc

Our biggest problem now is complacency.

We saw how it creeped into the St. Mirren and Aberdeen games, where we just gave up ludicrous goals and struggled to switch back on when we got dragged back into a game that we thought was over.

The other part of the complacency is that everyone on here seems to be banking on other teams doing something against them. Which in my opinion, is absolutely bizarre given the subservience the rest of the league has shown to the poets on and off the pitch for a decade.

Yeah, they're a fucking disaster zone at the moment but they are also the spawniest fuckers alive.

With 15 games to go, I'm staying in the "laugh last" camp.

My god lighten up

Seems like we are not allowed to enjoy anything just now, we are either told there is a long way to go or the bloody season will be null and void.

Depressing stuff

The league is over and the points gap will only get bigger.

Back