James Tavernier and Connor Goldson’s contract situatuon

iain18(7)2

with both of the above players having 18 months left on their contracts, what do we expect to happen to them? Will they sign new deals or be sold in the summer? I’d be very surprised if they were allowed to run their contracts down and leave on a free. Ideally i’d like them both to get new contracts sorted out asap, but it’s been quiet on that front so far. Maybe it’s being left for the summer and this season is done. I reckon they would both fancy a shot at the champions league next season.

Would be very surprised if both don’t sign new contracts. Can actually see them both staying a long time.

say one of them fancies a crack at the champions league, but doesn’t want to stay beyond next season, do we sell them or let them go for free?
Our model dictates that we sell.

I’m sure both fancy another crack down south but they neither will be going near the top 4. I suspect they’ll both renew in the summer.

Hopefully, and as usual, the club will be well ahead with negotiations. Recently we have done all this behind the scenes with the utmost professionalism. No leaks or speculation till they are ready one way or another.
Unless either want to leave they will be here for CL and to lap up their new found legend status at the end of the season. In Tav's case especially, I think he'll be here till it's time to wind down his carreer and go to the US, or sign for Hearts (joke jamboreid).

I think both will be here for the long haul. The feeling of lifting the league will never be topped for them and they’ll know that

say one of them fancies a crack at the champions league, but doesn’t want to stay beyond next season, do we sell them or let them go for free?
Id like to think if that was the case we could negotiate a years extension or a new contract with a release clause. I dont think we’d get to a position where we would lose any of our main assets on a free

Honestly, if Tav lifts 55 in May, he would go free at the end of next season with my best wishes and thanks if that was his wish. For 100k or whatever he cost, he will have repaid it 100 times over having been with us since the Championship imo. Goldson, I'd want money for. However, I believe neither will go and I see Tav, especially, either retiring here or leaving in his early thirties as many stalwarts have done before him once his playing time is reduced.

Pretty sure both will fancy a crack at the champions league next season....

If that happens, Tav’s journey with us is remarkable. Steven Gerrard and his coaching team are the best thing to happen to Tav.
This

While they will surely attract interest from the supposed "best league in the world", I still think that these guys will fancy a pop at the Champions League.

They aint getting that in England.

They haven’t finished the job yet, once that’s done, they will get their rewards. Both will be blown away with the achievement and hungry to do it again, with the added lure of Champions League football.

If Tav was to sit it out and leave in 18 months I would have no complaints. 250k he owes us nothing more than been value for money. In saying that hope he signs in for another couple of year.
he's been on the pitch when we have suffered some absolute abysmal humiliations at the hands of the poet. I think out of all our players, if/when we lift the title it will mean the most to him.

totally agree he owes us absolutely nothing. has been loyal in the face of criticism, has stuck with us through years of abject misery and times where managerial changes were a regular thing. throughout that time he has been a consistent starter and whilst his game might have been exposed at times, absolutely nobody can question that this season in particular he has stepped up a level and been the driving force behind our recent form.

this squad should have earned our respect collectively.

Why would either of them want to leave? They’re playing for the biggest club they’re ever likely to. I honestly don’t see it, the pair of them will be here for years to come
Realistically, after playing in the CL they’d probably take a big money move down south.

If that happens, Tav’s journey with us is remarkable. Steven Gerrard and his coaching team are the best thing to happen to Tav.
Tav could stay here and lead Rangers to more trophies if the league gets won this season.
If he does that, he will write his own chapter as a Rangers player and as a captain of The Rangers.
He will maybe go down as an all-time great.
He might even be sitting in John Greig's seat in forty years time.

Connor Goldson is also becoming a fixture in the Rangers story.

Think Gerrard was quoted recently saying they will sit down when the times right. That will be at the end of a very successful season. No distractions total focus on the league.

I think this will be the same for a few, if we qualify for the group stages, we should sensibly over contacts to keep them here, but not go on a path like them where we have to down size in a few years.. sensible growth

Tav will see his career out with us and go down as legend.

He has 1 big move left but it would need to happen fairly soon and I don't see that with the progress we're making as a club.. he'll sign an extension and fancy a crack at the CL by which point he'll be into his 30s.

Goldson will also sign an extension and hopefully be hear for the next 2/3 years aswell.

I think both will sign new contracts prior to the Summer transfer window opening. However, if they don’t they will be sold in the Summer. It’s business, we can’t afford to let millions of pounds walk out the door for free - no matter how grateful we are for their contributions.

They haven’t finished the job yet, once that’s done, they will get their rewards. Both will be blown away with the achievement and hungry to do it again, with the added lure of Champions League football.
When they see the fan reaction they'll know it won't be the same anywhere else.

Confident enough both will extend but dont ever like leaving things up to chance as you never know who might come in for them in the summer. Hopefully sorted sooner rather than later

Wasn’t there a lot talk this time last year that CG would leave in summer. Glad he didn’t.

If they don't want to sign a new contract, then they will have to be sold in the summer. As much as I like both players, we can't throw away millions of pounds in transfer fees for them. With only 12 months left and their age, we can't demand the fees, we would want but at a minimum you could still easily get £15-20 million pound for the pair in the summer. Would you throw away that kind of money to let them get a crack at the champions league? Throwing that kind of value away, to let them run their contract down would be mental. Especially after these covid related losses.

I hope both sign new contracts, even 1 year extensions and kick it down the road a season. Tbh I'd be happy for Tavernier to stay another 4/5 years and see out his career here. While Goldson's passing has been a big factor in our success this season and defensively he has improved massively.

We also have a lot of our first team going into the last 2 years of their contract come the summer. Their contracts need to be renewed or players moved on at their highest value before it start to fall as they get to 18 and 12 months left. These include Kent, Kamara, Aribo, Helander, Katic, Jack and Morelos. Hopefully we get a few of these players sorted with new contracts before the end of the season.

I will go against the grain here, I think if both don't sign a new deal in the summer then both will be sold, it's the way it has to be for us now, we can't afford to lose players for nothing when contracts expire
I think the club must be confident that the players will sign an extension, otherwise it doesn’t make sense to allow them to get to 18 mths left.

A bad injury would mean we’d run the risk of losing them for nothing. Both have earned new contracts.

We will never get what Tav is truly worth from any club, there's a preconception that most attacking full backs are done by 30ish which could steer PL clubs away from paying what we should get, so I hope he just stays here for the rest of his career

Goldson is worth much more, we have to either get him to sign or sell as we can't afford to let that money slip away, even if its slightly less than we could get at max

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tav see out the rest of his career here. Look at where his career was pre-Rangers, and look at him now, Captain of one of the biggest teams in Europe, on their way to their 55th title. European success over the last few seasons and heading into the Champions League.

I imagine CG will have a desire to stay too, although he might get some mid-level EPL clubs tempting him away. It’s hard to turn down an extra 50 grand a week.

Tav will see his career out with us and go down as legend.

He has 1 big move left but it would need to happen fairly soon and I don't see that with the progress we're making as a club.. he'll sign an extension and fancy a crack at the CL by which point he'll be into his 30s.

Goldson will also sign an extension and hopefully be hear for the next 2/3 years aswell.
After SG first win over Covid FC I recall watching on TV the scenes at the end.If you can find the clip look at CG.He was looking at the crowd in awe.I doubt he'd want sway
A biggie will be CL football The higher the level eventually Southgate is going to have to take notice of the English lads.

We’ve made noises about renewing Tav’s contract, but I’ve never seen anything about Goldson.

I’d say Tav will be waiting till the league is definitely in the bag before negotiating his contract. Goldson, I suspect will leave.

Tav, IMO will stay if we win the league and he gets the monkey off his back. We now should have the lure of champions league which he won’t get down south and regular winning trophies

I can really understand why some players want to move on from us. We are such a huge club with such a mental rivalry and it’s a lot of pressure. But I cannot think of one time I’ve seen Tav in the paper for being pished in public or posting something daft on social media. Tav is a family man who keeps himself to himself and is an exceptional Rangers captain. He will rightfully lift that league trophy this year and will stay with us imo. He deserves it so much.

Quite simple - both sign what they're offered (some negotiation obviously) or they'll be sold.

Champions league will be a major lure, aside from all the other benefits we bring.

I'd like both to stay given they have been main stays in the team

I can really understand why some players want to move on from us. We are such a huge club with such a mental rivalry and it’s a lot of pressure. But I cannot think of one time I’ve seen Tav in the paper for being pished in public or posting something daft on social media. Tav is a family man who keeps himself to himself and is an exceptional Rangers captain. He will rightfully lift that league trophy this year and will stay with us imo. He deserves it so much.
Simple prem money. Maximum you really get here would be 25-30k, they'd get double that at most clubs down there. Also If you're English then you have no chance of an England cap up here.

As long as the Gaffer is here they will both be committed long term, first names on the team sheet every week, neither will play at a higher level than with us

Simple prem money. Maximum you really get here would be 25-30k, they'd get double that at most clubs down there. Also If you're English then you have no chance of an England cap up here.
They wouldnt get a cap in England at their age.
They would need to move in the summer then play very well for say a year.

Same here, thinking they want to win the league before committing, good mentality if thats theyre thinking, club before player
Best thing for the club aswell if players get offered new deals with payrises it may encourage them to slack off a bit get the league wrapped up then get the contracts signed

Reactions: YOB
They wouldnt get a cap in England at their age.
They would need to move in the summer then play very well for say a year.
Tavernier I doubt ever gets a cap due to the sheer volume of RBS England have, but Goldson would have a decent chance of a cap if he played well for a few months.

Back