The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

For me Morelos should be the only big player to leave and use the 15/20 million that comes in to improve the squad season tickets and merch revenue should leave the books in a decent place after that
Factoring in 'season tickets and merch revenue' the Board have already told us requires them to put in £22m - at least - to cover this season and next mate. That's not sustainable. I suspect we will see two big sales to cover a handful of incomings as we roll the dice again.

Hamer is the type of signing we need to be making for the midfield over the next couple of years. I don’t think we will take up zungu’s option next year and I think we will bring in lundstram as well. Could well see our midfield options look like: Davis, Kamara, jack, arfield, lundstram, Kelly and new signing. That would be a great amount of options. On top of them you also have aribo who can do a job in cm.

Hamer is the type of signing we need to be making for the midfield over the next couple of years. I don’t think we will take up zungu’s option next year and I think we will bring in lundstram as well. Could well see our midfield options look like: Davis, Kamara, jack, arfield, lundstram, Kelly and new signing. That would be a great amount of options. On top of them you also have aribo who can do a job in cm.

Id be delighted with that Chris.

Realistically we are looking at Davis taking a step back from consistent first team action and reducing the roles of Arfield and Jack due to injury mostly.

Kamara if he has a good euros then we can let go with our best wishes.

The midfield longer term is something that will be getting addressed as a priority over the next few windows.

Ideally we sign Davis to an extension and help him integrate his replacement (whomever he is) and then sign higher quality midfielders than those already here to take us on a level.

do we think Kelly is good enough to play for us next season?

I haven't actually watched him yet but the fact he is playing every week in the SPFL and going by reports one of the best players at Ross County I would say that is extremely positive. Our other bright hopes in recent seasons have went on loan and struggled to make an impact.

I believe you really need to be special to come through our Academy and be a regular player for us. If you go out on loan as a young boy and you have enough talent to eventually be in our first team then you should be shining for smaller clubs when you are at them.

do we think Kelly is good enough to play for us next season?
I have really high hopes for him after watching him a couple of times this season, he controls the tempo for County.

It was good of the staff to send him to a team that try to play football, whilst also helping him learn that he won’t have the ball all the time.

Part of me thinks he’s being primed to take over from Davis, I think he may go on loan till January & then come back to learn from the man.

I haven’t seen him this season at all, but he’s a very smart player. Intelligent. Hope he can physically develop, because he’s always been a lean boy.
I think nowadays you can change anyone’s body shape with specific gym work out regimes and these protein shakes etc. Huge changes can be made in 3 months. Probably best done over the close season so they are not tired out for matches. I think we’ve improved Joe Aribo in that respect. It’s something too we might consider for Ianis Hagi who already has the battling qualities and of course the class. We might not be able to do much about his lack pace but if we can give him a bit of bulk it may help him fight off and protect himself against the hammer throwers that fill Scottish football.

I think nowadays you can change anyone’s body shape with specific gym work out regimes and these protein shakes etc. Huge changes can be made in 3 months. Probably best done over the close season so they are not tired out for matches. I think we’ve improved Joe Aribo in that respect. It’s something too we might consider for Ianis Hagi who already has the battling qualities and of course the class. We might not be able to do much about his lack pace but if we can give him a bit of bulk it may help him fight off and protect himself against the hammer throwers that fill Scottish football.

Thanks S.

Good point on Hagi. It does look like Kamara seems to have been working out with his big pal Joe too.

The great thing about Stephen is he’s got it all in his head, a lovely player. A lot of players struggle as they rise in level because they can’t adapt to the quicker game & quicker thinking. I’m confident that Stephen can cope.

Realistically we are looking at Davis taking a step back from consistent first team action and reducing the roles of Arfield and Jack due to injury mostly.

The midfield longer term is something that will be getting addressed as a priority over the next few windows.

Ideally we sign Davis to an extension and help him integrate his replacement (whomever he is) and then sign higher quality midfielders than those already here to take us on a level.
Agree on the fazing Davis out, he’s still a fantastic midfielder but due to his age he should play less next year, or be relied on less, that’s probably a better way to put it. Can maybe see Kelly being looked at for his identical replacement, both seem to play the same role in midfield ie deep lying midfielder.

Agree on the fazing Davis out, he’s still a fantastic midfielder but due to his age he should play less next year, or be relied on less, that’s probably a better way to put it. Can maybe see Kelly being looked at for his identical replacement, both seem to play the same role in midfield ie deep lying midfielder.

It just depends how good he is. It's a key position.

He will need to be some player to be anywhere near good enough to replace The Ballymena Pirlo.

Talking about Kelly potentially being an option in midfield next season. Anyone more in tune with the Academy have an opinion on Ciaran Dickson? Liked the look of him when he came on against Falkirk. Put me in mind of a young Barry.

Then the chat they were giving about selling him for £15m seems way off base.

Yip - it's like Aberdeen saying they want £30m for Lewis Ferguson when their revenue is probably half of that :D. When you have shareholders to answer to, you can't have fantasy demands.

You could probably get this guy for a few million tops.

I thought Davis would be used sparingly this season but he's played amazing this year and looks like he could do it again

Talking about Kelly potentially being an option in midfield next season. Anyone more in tune with the Academy have an opinion on Ciaran Dickson? Liked the look of him when he came on against Falkirk. Put me in mind of a young Barry.
Just turned 18 mate, Kelly is light years ahead of him in development terms.

I thought Davis would be used sparingly this season but he's played amazing this year and looks like he could do it again

He could. But age can hit you overnight and the decline can be rapid. We need to be aware of that and I am sure our staff are.

Davis has been sensational this season though he's in the conversation for our POTY alongside Tav and Goldson.

Agree with what you are saying mate but you absolutely can train/improve a players pace, and it’s something I’d hope we can help Hagi with, he only needs that extra yard I feel to really get the best out of his vision and passing

If we could even plan to get 30 games out of him next season, with maybe an extra player in the midfield squad to support that, and then choose those vital matches that we want to use him, I think he could give us that, and maybe even one more on that basis ?

I’m sure his off field influence on others is every bit as much as Jermain Defoe’s is, maybe more ?

I get kamara is the obvious choice to sell as we got him for 50k and could potentially sell him for 20m depending on what kind of euros he has but I would hate to see him leave. I would love to see what kind of standard he could get to working long term with Gerrard and Beale, he could be frightening. I tend to agree though that the board are probably thinking he will be one to sell as we would make a huge profit on him. We will struggle to find another player like kamara within our budget.

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2021/01/14/shooting-stars-midfielder-fatai-gbadamosi-linked-with-shock-move-to-scottish-side-rangers/…

I have really high hopes for him after watching him a couple of times this season, he controls the tempo for County.

It was good of the staff to send him to a team that try to play football, whilst also helping him learn that he won’t have the ball all the time.

Part of me thinks he’s being primed to take over from Davis, I think he may go on loan till January & then come back to learn from the man.
I've watched him a couple of times and seen some clips of his movement and runs. He really is very reminiscent of the player Davis has become, but with more in the tank. Quick neat turns and passes. I feel a year as our 4th choice CM and shadowing Davis in training would be great for him.

We do need homegrown players but there aren't many Scottish cm's that would suit our midfield. We constantly get linked with Ferguson and have been linked with Campbell here and there. Both are good young players, who could improve and be developed into the player we need in midfield, in the same way Jack was. But right now you wouldn't say they have the skillset that is required for our midfield. Kelly on the other hand has the exact skillset Gerrard looks for in those 2 CDM position's. He's quickish, good short and long passing, small neat turns and fantastic technique. He's still a little raw but can be developed. As I was saying shadowing Davis for a year while starting some games and closing games out, would be better for him than another loan elsewhere.

Last edited:
Rangers have NO interest in transfer swoop for Coventry star Gustavo Hamer

RANGERS have no interest in Coventry midfielder Gustavo Hamer, according to an Ibrox source.

The 23-year-old Brazilian-born midfielder has impressed for Coventry since a £1.2million move from Dutch side PEC Zwolle last year, and sources in the West Midlands claimed he was on the Scottish Premiership leaders' radar.

However, an Ibrox source said: "There's nothing in this at all."

The player is not on any list of potential targets that manager Steven Gerrard and sporting director Ross Wilson are monitoring. Rangers this week made contact with Aberdeen about 23-year-old attacking midfielder Scott Wright, who is out of contract in the summer.

However, there is more chance of players leaving Ibrox than arriving in January with the likes of Greg Stewart and Jordan Jones struggling for game time this season.

Meanwhile, former Ibrox midfielder Alex Rae has hailed Steven Davis as the "orchestrator" of Rangers as the 36-year-old prepares to make his 300th appearance in a Light Blue jersey against Motherwell on Sunday.

Rae told ten10podcasts.com: "What a terrific servant he has been to the game in general and he has had a remarkable career at Rangers as well.

"He is about to hit another milestone and it is great to have him back at Rangers because he has most certainly brought a level of performance and standards that we have been used to over decades.

"He is pivotal, he is like the orchestrator in the middle of the park. He pulls the strings and he is one guy, if I was a younger midfielder like (Glen) Kamara or (Joe) Aribo in and around Rangers, I would look at this guy, look at what he brings to the table.

"He is a model professional, to still be performing at his age and what he has done in the game, a record-breaking 124 caps for Northern Ireland. He has been brilliant.

"I'll be honest with you, when he first came back I had my reservations and it took him four, five months to get up to speed and there were question marks, but my God he has he not hit the ground running this season?

"They have got six midfielders in at Rangers at the moment, but you have to say he in the number one starter.

"He slows the game down, speeds the game up and always has a brilliant knack of being in the right place when teams are counter-attacking.

"I think he is vital to Steven Gerrard and the way he plays with the full-backs bombing forward."

Rangers have NO interest in transfer swoop for Coventry star Gustavo Hamer

Rangers have no interest in Coventry midfielder Gustavo Hamer, according to an Ibrox source.

The 23-year-old Brazilian-born midfielder has impressed for Coventry since a £1.2million move from Dutch side PEC Zwolle last year, and sources in the West Midlands claimed he was on the Scottish Premiership leaders' radar.

However, an Ibrox source said: "There's nothing in this at all."

The player is not on any list of potential targets that manager Steven Gerrard and sporting director Ross Wilson are monitoring. Rangers this week made contact with Aberdeen about 23-year-old attacking midfielder Scott Wright, who is out of contract in the summer.

However, there is more chance of players leaving Ibrox than arriving in January with the likes of Greg Stewart and Jordan Jones struggling for game time this season.

Meanwhile, former Ibrox midfielder Alex Rae has hailed Steven Davis as the "orchestrator" of Rangers as the 36-year-old prepares to make his 300th appearance in a Light Blue jersey against Motherwell on Sunday.

Rae told ten10podcasts.com: "What a terrific servant he has been to the game in general and he has had a remarkable career at Rangers as well.

"He is about to hit another milestone and it is great to have him back at Rangers because he has most certainly brought a level of performance and standards that we have been used to over decades.

"He is pivotal, he is like the orchestrator in the middle of the park. He pulls the strings and he is one guy, if I was a younger midfielder like (Glen) Kamara or (Joe) Aribo in and around Rangers, I would look at this guy, look at what he brings to the table.

"He is a model professional, to still be performing at his age and what he has done in the game, a record-breaking 124 caps for Northern Ireland. He has been brilliant.

"I'll be honest with you, when he first came back I had my reservations and it took him four, five months to get up to speed and there were question marks, but my God he has he not hit the ground running this season?

"They have got six midfielders in at Rangers at the moment, but you have to say he in the number one starter.

"He slows the game down, speeds the game up and always has a brilliant knack of being in the right place when teams are counter-attacking.

"I think he is vital to Steven Gerrard and the way he plays with the full-backs bombing forward."
The Sun have just written what @David Edgar said on the Daily Update today and are claiming they have an Ibrox source.

There is speed and there is quickness. You can fly down the wing and beat defenders for pace and you can make a sudden burst and pass the ball. This in MHO is Hagi. He also has a football brain to know instinctively where the paas should go and uses it. Not too many players nowadays have this ability and I look back to Baxter and McMillan .;Miko had it but couldn't be bothered to use it very often which was tragic.

It's easy enough to spot a good player but it takes a discerning eye to tell a bad one. Lucky Lennon is one of the former.

I get kamara is the obvious choice to sell as we got him for 50k and could potentially sell him for 20m depending on what kind of euros he has but I would hate to see him leave. I would love to see what kind of standard he could get to working long term with Gerrard and Beale, he could be frightening. I tend to agree though that the board are probably thinking he will be one to sell as we would make a huge profit on him. We will struggle to find another player like kamara within our budget.
The problem is this summer is probably the optimum time to sell him (if the EURO's go ahead). Another successful European campaign, his first league title, 2 years left on his deal and then being the main man for your country at an international tournament. Pretty much the perfect storm to sell him.

Plus we really need to finally make that first big sale to show, we are sustainable and our strategy of signing raw players, to improve and sell on for big fees will work. Kamara is the most likely due to his fantastic performances in European games and the sheer volume of team interested in him.

Agree with what you are saying mate but you absolutely can train/improve a players pace, and it’s something I’d hope we can help Hagi with, he only needs that extra yard I feel to really get the best out of his vision and passing
I’m sure with modern training methods you can indeed improve it ( I’m a bit out of touch these days ) but would think think speed would be the hardest thing ( other than natural ability ) to improve. If we can help Ianis in power and strength but also pace, so much the better.
I wouldn’t write off any of our young players and many of them develop quite late physically. Perhaps young Kelly is like this so we should be doing all we can to help him fill out. Very often this is all they need to be able to compete at senior level. That and a bit of match experience. Anyone know how Barjonas is progressing? I remember he seemed more physically developed than others his age.

I’m sure with modern training methods you can indeed improve it ( I’m a bit out of touch these days ) but would think think speed would be the hardest thing ( other than natural ability ) to improve. If we can help Ianis in power and strength but also pace, so much the better.
I wouldn’t write off any of our young players and many of them develop quite late physically. Perhaps young Kelly is like this so we should be doing all we can to help him fill out. Very often this is all they need to be able to compete at senior level. That and a bit of match experience. Anyone know how Barjonas is progressing? I remember he seemed more physically developed than others his age.
I'm sure he's been at Rangers since Warburton was there,strange how he hasn't pushed on.

I'm sure he's been at Rangers since Warburton was there,strange how he hasn't pushed on.
Jamie has been at Rangers since he was 9, played a few games under Murty & Pedro when he was a 17 year old kid.

I expected him to be more involved this season but seems he’s heading for the exist door.

Back