Worst Referee performance involving us.

hallyG

Reading about Craig Thomson in the St Mirren 9 man cup final got me wondering, what is the worst referee performance in one of our games in a domestic game?

Beaton's refereeing in the 2-3 game v Hibs when he sent off Ryan Jack is the angriest I have been leaving the ground from memory.
His refereeing of last February's Kilmarnock 2-1 game comes a close second.

The only time I’ve genuinely felt that a ref had been corrupt was the UFA performance in Russia. Special mention to Beaton at Ibrox in the 3-2 Hibs game, my first game as a ST holder.
I'd add in the ref against Brugge at Ibrox in the inaugural Champions League. Hateley got sent off for challenging for a header.

We all know how that campaign ended.

Last edited:
Thomson in 0-0 draw versus them in 2010/11 season. Blatant cheating to award them penalty.

Thomson in 2010/11 League Cup Final - awarded us a penalty then rescinded, refused to send off Mulgrew.
To be fair, it was never a penalty as Rogne pulled his leg away & Jelavic went down anticipating contact. We’ve had enough rotten decisions against us, we don’t need to add in ones that were correct!.

Bob Valentine must be up there. I can't remember what game it was but I remember being that angry I was close to replicating scenes from Falling down.

For other reasons and not incompetence, then Clancy at the Piggery last season.

Waddell also on numerous occasions comes close. Then there is Thomson.

Don Robertson will eventually overtake these three.

Think Beaton is just a shite & incompetent ref.

Beaton, Clancy and Robertson are all so bad. Thinking back are Rangers the only team that has had players sent off for celebrating a goal? Halliday, Candieas, Morelos and retro action against Kent for his celebration at the piggery. I am sure we have had other players spoken to by refs. I don't recall many other players from other clubs having their celebrations scrutinised to the same degree.

Oh there's been loads. Clancy every time, Beaton v hibs and a guy freidland v killie at Ibrox years ago denied 4 clear penalties.

Brines and Richmond often too.

Bob Valentine must be up there. I can't remember what game it was but I remember being that angry I was close to replicating scenes from Falling down.
1989 OF maybe, ruled out a good Butcher goal & I’m sure let Roy Aitken take a throw in that was very dubious, they scored from said throw.

Beaton against Hibs.

There's been a lot, but I genuinely can't think of anything as blatant as that one.

There were honest to God MMA moves being used on our players without repercussion, jerseys torn, and Jack gets sent off for a nothing. The Hibs players got a foul for being breathed on while they were throwing about elbows, legs, and fcking forearms without so much as a cross word.

Could be the 89 final I mentioned or even the 77 final

Who was the guy who loved the attention, Kenny Clark?. I’m sure he had a few howlers in older games I’ve watched.

Reading about Craig Thomson in the St Mirren 9 man cup final got me wondering, what is the worst referee performance in one of our games in a domestic game?

Beaton's refereeing in the 2-3 game v Hibs when he sent off Ryan Jack is the angriest I have been leaving the ground from memory.
His refereeing of last February's Kilmarnock 2-1 game comes a close second.

Clancy at the Piggery 100%.

Easily the worst I’ve seen in 50 years.

At least 5 game changing decisions all wrong & all wrong in their favour.

Beaton v Hibs and it's not even close.

It's not that he got one or two high profile decisions wrong, he got every single decision wrong. He lost control after about 15 minutes.

49-A9-FDE5-A3-D1-402-C-83-B7-C4189783-FC85.jpg

One of many howling decisions, as I said it was my first game as a ST holder & I had turned 18 the day before.

That prick soured the celebrations.

There's been a lot, but I genuinely can't think of anything as blatant as that one.

There were honest to God MMA moves being used on our players without repercussion, jerseys torn, and Jack gets sent off for a nothing. The Hibs players got a foul for being breathed on while they were throwing about elbows, legs, and fcking forearms without so much as a cross word.
IIRC there was a picture of Darren McGregor "challenging" Morelos. When I say "challenging" I mean swinging from Alfie's neck - McGregor got the free kick. :oops:

Yes utterly cheated that day. I think stokes actually choke slammed Tav and never even got booked.
He did and he ripped Tavs jersey. Tav got booked for reacting.

The most incredible thing in that game was when Morelos was running through on goal, that w*nker McGregor clotheslined him to the deck and the foul got given to Hibs. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Got to be Beaton vs Hibs with Clancy vs them a close second. I remember an article coming out in one of the papers going over Clancy's contentious decisions after the game and the verdict was that he'd got something like 2/10 of them right.

First 2 that came to mind was Clancy when we won 2-1 at the piggery and Beaton in that Hibs game.

I have no doubt that Beaton and Clancy went out to ref those games in favour of Hibs and Celtic.

Beaton against Hibs was the first that sprung to mind. Willie Young had a few stinkers as well.

Back