The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Stephen Kelly is decent for Ross county he could probably benefit from one more year on loan in the top flight though before becoming phased into our squad

Agree with the posters re Davis he is an exceptional player and person and has so much know how in his mind that it’s obvious he gets an extension . Stephen Kelly I like too and it’s nice that the evidence is getting stronger than he could make the next step up - although I kinda agree with the poster who said maybe another half or full season on loan could be appealing .
At that point he would have a decent experience in senior football circa 100 league games .

Have to say I like a smattering of senior players who are great pros . So another one I was thinking about is Gary Cahill I noted he is OoC in summer and that he has just 5 appearances for Crystal Palace this season . Not seen him since he left Chelsea but he was a terrific player and has only just turned 35 years old .
Could that be a deal that appeals ?

Thanks S.

Good point on Hagi. It does look like Kamara seems to have been working out with his big pal Joe too.

The great thing about Stephen is he’s got it all in his head, a lovely player. A lot of players struggle as they rise in level because they can’t adapt to the quicker game & quicker thinking. I’m confident that Stephen can cope.
Stephen regularly scored in the top parts of the endurance / fitness measures in pre-season . He has a natural fitness and build similar to Ian Durrant I would say .

celtic linked with Aaron Ramsey .........17 year old from Villa on a free B-)

These are the only signings they will make. Their brand is currently toxic.

They will spend not one penny this month. They are skint. Honestly I can also see Lennon there next season if this pandemic is still a massice issue into next season..

These are the only signings they will make. Their brand is currently toxic.

They will spend not one penny this month. They are skint. Honestly I can also see Lennon there next season if this pandemic is still a massice issue into next season..
Other than the 250k hen do for laxalt in Dubai

He could. But age can hit you overnight and the decline can be rapid. We need to be aware of that and I am sure our staff are.

Davis has been sensational this season though he's in the conversation for our POTY alongside Tav and Goldson.
Provided any drop off with age is only keeping up with the demands of 3 games in a week rather than the demand of performing in top level games, then a reverse of the Defoe situation would work well for me. Have him ready for Euro games only, prioritise this and have the bonus of using him fleetingly in the league too

Provided any drop off with age is only keeping up with the demands of 3 games in a week rather than the demand of performing in top level games, then a reverse of the Defoe situation would work well for me. Have him ready for Euro games only, prioritise this and have the bonus of using him fleetingly in the league too
We should absolutely not be planning ahead beyond this season with Davis and Arfield in mind as regular starters, it worked out this year but probably shouldn't have been the case this time last year either.

Just to use them as examples, we should be signing Hamer and Lundstram and telling Davis & Arfield that they need to earn their shirts then use them as rotation options if they don't.

I still think we're signing Zungu so Davis may end up deciding to hang the boots up on a high.

We should absolutely not be planning ahead beyond this season with Davis and Arfield in mind as regular starters, it worked out this year but probably shouldn't have been the case this time last year either.

Just to use them as examples, we should be signing Hamer and Lundstram and telling Davis & Arfield that they need to earn their shirts then use them as rotation options if they don't.

I still think we're signing Zungu so Davis may end up deciding to hang the boots up on a high.

Don't see Davis retiring yet mate. He looks as though he is going to continue his International career, which is normally dropped at least a couple of years before stopping club football.

I just get the feeling he is the sort of guy who will eek every inch of life out of his footballing career. Looks like he genuinely just loves playing.

On the limited game time I have seen of Zungu I am not sure if he is up to being a replacement to SD as the low laying midfielder.

I am maybe being harsh on the lad but I dont see it and would be nervous if going in to a big game with him starting

Admittedly Zungu's playing time has been very limited, mainly limited to cameo roles as a sub in final 15 mis of games, but I was impressed with his (full game) performance away at Poznan.

However is one game enough to pay
£3m for a player who, it has to be said, I now have the feeling he no longer has the complete trust of SG. That would be fine if Zungu was still a youngster learning his trade but as a 29yo it is not a good sign.

After our shock defeat to St Mirren, where Zungu played from the start, it is very teling that Davis, despite concerns of over his age and tirednesz, has started every game. Think that says everything about Zungu's position in the squad.

Would not be surprised in the slightest if our management teams position on making the Zungu signing permanent has turned on it's head. Still time for the lad to come good but he'll need to really impress in the limited chances that come his way.

Kelly is Ross county’s best player.

Asking genuinely, is that you seeing things through blue tinted specs?

Kelly is a player we have been hearing of for a good few years, who does well out on loan (Ayr last season, winning their YPOTY) but never seems to get a sniff of 1st team.

Kelly will be 21 in April, there does come a time when you gotta say with every player that if you're not, at the very least, holding down a 1st team squad jersey then it's time to move on (I give you Jamie Barjonas, why do we keep extending his contract but never seem willing to even give him a few minutes here or there - if he isn't good enough put the lad out of his misery and move him on).

Last edited:

Kelly is a player we have been hearing off for a good few years, who does well out on loan (Ayr last season, winning their YPOTY) but never seems to get a sniff of 1st team.

Kelly will be 21 in April, there does come a time when you gotta say with every player that if you're not, at the very least, holding down a 1st team squad jersey then it's time to move on (I give you Jamie Barjonas, why do we keep extending his contract but never seem willing to even give him a few minutes here or there - if he isn't good enough put the lad out of his misery and move him on).
Kelly has been the best player for Ross County since about November time

Kelly is a player we have been hearing off for a good few years, who does well out on loan (Ayr last season, winning their YPOTY) but never seems to get a sniff of 1st team.

As above, since Kelly broke into the team a couple of months back him, along with Harry Paton has been their best player.

Admittedly Zungu's playing time has been very limited, mainly limited to cameo roles as a sub in final 15 mis of games, but I was impressed with his (full game) performance away at Poznan.

However is one game enough to pay
£3m for a player who, it has to be said, I now have the feeling he no longer has the complete trust of SG. That would be fine if Zungu was still a youngster learning his trade but as a 29yo it is not a good sign.

After our shock defeat to St Mirren, where Zungu played from the start, it is very teling that Davis, despite concerns of over his age and tirednesz, has started every game. Think that says everything about Zungu's position in the squad.

Would not be surprised in the slightest if our management teams position on making the Zungu signing permanent has turned on it's head. Still time for the lad to come good but he'll need to really impress in the limited chances that come his way.
I completely agree with what you are saying, maybe the limited game time, others performing so well, etc etc etc has held him back, I am sure there is no argument against that but even when I have seen him I haven't seen the potential

At £3m for a player you will have no sell on value for I cant see us going for it.

A free, fair enough, him signing the contract extension was to be admired but I believe it has cost him a contract at Rangers.

I would be astonished if we make that perm and pay anything towards a £3m fee.

Last edited:

Kelly is a player we have been hearing of for a good few years, who does well out on loan (Ayr last season, winning their YPOTY) but never seems to get a sniff of 1st team.

Gerrard rates Kelly quite highly I think and a good season with Ayr doesn't mean he was going to come back into the fold here. Gerrard wants these younger players out playing games which Kelly has done and is a nailed on starter now pretty much for Ross County and seems to be getting better and better the more he plays.

Barjonas has 6 or 7 players ahead of him in the pecking order he's a decent player but not sure he's first team material. His contract was extended for a year because he had been impressing the coaching staff in training McAllister spoke about it last season and praised him. It will probably also be down to so we get a development fee for him when he does move on.

We paid the guts of 3m for Cedric Itten who is 24 and spends most of his time on our bench. He'll become our main striker in time. But point being, Gerrard isn't just going to start picking people because it's their time.

He can like Kelly and still have him out on loan for another season or two and it's up to the lad if he wants bide his time or move to a club where he's a nailed on starter.

I think Kelly will next season be part of the first team squad and will play a fair number of games. I think he is a better player than Barjonas,who I think will leave at the end of the season . Barjonas is a decent player but not quite at the level we require. Kelly I think is, however time will tell.

Yeah Gerrard usually very cautious when discussing targets. That deal will get done then this window. Win/win for the sheep

We'll probably get Scott Wright this window then.

Positives;

Arrives 5+ months early
Settles, adapts to his new environment
Chance to win trophies and taste success
European football
Another attacking option
Raring to go next season
Fully agree. An upgrade on Stewart and adds to the homegrown quota for Europe next season.

Raman Bhardwaj @ramanbhardwajTV

Steven Gerrard on Scott Wright - discussions between Aberdeen and Rangers taking place. Signing him in this transfer window would be a bonus

Gossip:

Celtic and Rangers both want Liverpool's 23-year-old Nigerian forward, Taiwo Awoniyi, who is on loan at Bundesliga side Union Berlin. (90min)

Rangers are prepared to allow fringe forward Greg Stewart, who has had two previous spells with Aberdeen, to move to Pittodrie as part of a swap deal for winger Scott Wright, with both players out of contract this summer. (The Scotsman)

Rangers could agree a reduction in the fee due for Ross McCrorie, the midfielder on loan to Aberdeen pending a permanent move in the summer, in a deal to allow winger Scott Wright to join them from their Scottish Premiership rivals during January. (Scottish Sun)

Gerrard confirms interest in Scott Wright and talks started on getting him this month at the press conference must be far along if he's willing to discuss it
They are committed to paying us for McCrorie so would expect it to be quite easy to negotiate a reduction on that liability based on Wright moving in this window.

At the press conference Gerrard confirmed the pre contract for Wright is almost done, so we can take that as he is definitely signing

Last edited:
I haven't seen enough of Wright to really comment but I trust the management team but I do believe we need a core of good Scottish players, who they are mind you I dont have a clue!

What’s the general consensus on Wright as a player?
I like him & have for a couple of years.

Strengths
- takes up pockets of space
- quick
- can beat a man
- more creative than Jones or Barker
- quicker brain & feet than Stewart
- fits into our system
- good dribbler

Weaknesses
- finishing (generally hits the target though)
- injury history
- behind in his development
- final ball could improve.

He creates a good number of chances for Aberdeen.

I honestly see this as a risk free good signing for the squad. He’s nowhere near Kent, but if he was he wouldn’t be coming to us

He fits our system better than Jones or Barker for example, I think Barker has changed his game to fit our system to his credit.

I think Beale & co could seriously improve this lad. The fact he helps with the HGQ is brilliant also.

Last edited:
He has pace, it’s the one weak point bar Kent in an attacking sense. We want moves to be fast flowing on the counter. Sometimes we get up the park then just turn back as there’s no alternative alongside. Would reckon he will provide competition for Kent

Be very surprised if we don’t see Wright in this window now, the lad will be desperate to get involved in what could be a very exciting few months here

As above, since Kelly broke into the team a couple of months back him, along with Harry Paton has been their best player.

Would be gutted if Kelly isn't at least given a chance next year. He's a proper player. Not to go all da, but even reading his interviews, you can tell he's just a kid who is obsessed with and loves football. If he can get a bit fitter, he'd slot in perfectly with our current style as well.

Good info above. I haven’t seen enough of him to judge but did wonder if he was an out and out winger akin to Barker/Jones and as such would he struggle in our system (ie 2x “10’s” as opposed to conventional wingers) but sounds like he could adapt.

Would be gutted if Kelly isn't at least given a chance next year. He's a proper player. Not to go all da, but even reading his interviews, you can tell he's just a kid who is obsessed with and loves football. If he can get a bit fitter, he'd slot in perfectly with our current style as well.
Absolutely agree mate, his twitter header is a Harry Redknapp quote about football.

He absolutely loves the game, I read on here he played with Port Glasgow when he was younger & seeing as we are the same age I probably played against him.

Claim to fame etc :))

Wright fits out style of play perfectly. A very clever player who is comfortable playing between the lines and is quick and technical. He fits our style of play far better than Jones (who is a player I actually like and have stuck up for on here a lot).

I think Jones will go down to The Championship and do really well down there in a counter attacking team that suits his style.

Whether Wright is good enough to force his way into our starting 11 remains to be seen but you would far rather be bringing him on than Barker for Kent and he will push Ryan Kent a lot more.

We'll probably get Scott Wright this window then.

Positives;

Arrives 5+ months early
Settles, adapts to his new environment
Chance to win trophies and taste success
European football
Another attacking option
Raring to go next season
And without wanting to be negative a better option than some others at the club just now that the staff clearly don't have enough faith in.

Wright fits out style of play perfectly. A very clever player who is comfortable playing between the lines and is quick and technical. He fits our style of play far better than Jones (who is a player I actually like and have stuck up for on here a lot).

I think Jones will go down to The Championship and do really well down there in a counter attacking team that suits his style.

Whether Wright is good enough to force his way into our starting 11 remains to be seen but you would far rather be bringing him on than Barker for Kent and he will push Ryan Kent a lot more.
He has a lot of potential and our staff have proved they are more than capable of coaching players to become better.
My only concern is the amount of time he's spent injured.

He has a lot of potential and our staff have proved they are more than capable of coaching players to become better.
My only concern is the amount of time he's spent injured.

His injury record is a worry. At least we aren't shelling out big money on him though. He has all the tools to be a success with us and potential to get better under our coaching staff as well.

He's a low level punt with not much downside at all.

Back