Will Cedric Itten be the main striker next season?

KGR98

Given Morelos will likely leave and Roofe can play across the front line and offer a goal threat from wide do we see Itten taking the lead strikers role or will someone come in to put Itten on the bench again I think Itten has shown that with a run of games he could score a barrel load of goals

Impossible to say. Depends on whether Alfie even does leave, but more than that, how much he leaves for. So hypothetically we sell for £15M+ and Gerrard spends £5M of that on a replacement, its more likely Gerrard would start the guy he just paid a big chunk of his budget for.

I like Itten though, I think he has a lot of potential and I could see him leading the line next year if he is asked.

It’s one of those times where being able to play a 3-5-2 would be potentially very helpful.

Our wide player (Kent) is out of form, while Morelos looked better last week and Itten’s always dangerous. Hagi behind a front two of Morelos and Itten with Tavernier and Barisic just attacking with the confidence of a three behind them would be decent enough.

He scored and assisted plenty in the Swiss Super League (now I’ve been corrected) which is probably a fair bit better than the SPFL outside of us and (normally) the mentally challengeds.

There’s absolutely zero reason to suggest he can’t be a top player for us, unless you’re one of those fans desperate to write him off early and then hoping to come back later to tell us how right you were.

He scored and assisted plenty in the Austrian Bundesliga, which is probably a fair bit better than the SPFL outside of us and (normally) the mentally challengeds.

There’s absolutely zero reason to suggest he can’t be a top player for us, unless you’re one of those fans desperate to write him off early and then hoping to come back later to tell us how right you were.
Swiss super league ** :))

Who's to say morelos will go if we have champions league football? He has stated he wants to try a better level but I dont think that he would move to a team that could give him that standard

It’s one of those times where being able to play a 3-5-2 would be potentially very helpful.

Our wide player (Kent) is out of form, while Morelos looked better last week and Itten’s always dangerous. Hagi behind a front two of Morelos and Itten with Tavernier and Barisic just attacking with the confidence of a three behind them would be decent enough.

We essentially play a 2-5-3 with the way the full backs push up. A 3-5-2 would just be swapping an attacker for a centre back.

We essentially play a 2-5-3 with the way the full backs push up. A 3-5-2 would just be swapping an attacker for a centre back.
It’s insane to suggest it hasn’t been working and I’m certainly not doing that, but the three at the top sometimes seems a bit static and often drops back a bit deeper.

Itten seems more in form than Kent at the moment from his glimpses and is definitely a much bigger goal threat, but playing him wide wouldn’t really get the best out of him.

I think this is one of the things we need to figure out between now and the end of the season, all going well. What he needs to do better at for me is games in which he’ll have a centre half really tight to him - didn’t go well against St Mirren in the cup. He looks good to me when he has a bit more space.

Starting to doubt Morelos will be gone to be honest so I think it will still be him. His biggest suitors were in the French league and they’re suffering badly.

I like the big man. his last strike at Motherwell and the goal in Europe were top drawer, add that to his close range and headed goals and he is more than capable.

A player with clear potential and looks up for a scrap when the occasion arises.

He's got pace, height, he's strong, he's two footed, hard-working, he can hold the ball up and bring others into play and with very good technique as well.

He's got all the raw attributes we need in a centre forward so we shall see!

Assuming Alfie moves on then I think we'll spend the summer and preseason assessing whether Cedric can be the guy. We'll have a few European games and the league will start before the window closes. I think if there are doubts then we have a period where we can look to bring someone else in.

I actually think we will have to anyway, as we're into the twilight of JD's time too. I guess how Cedric is shaping up will determine whether we need to go and spend £5M on someone established to come in, or whether it will be more of Nisbet type speculative addition.

I think Morelos will leave and Defoe will retire.

We will sign a new striker and and back up.

The new striker will compete with Roofe and Itten.

I like the look of big Cedric and could see him being the main man up top at some point, if Morelos was out for any reason id expect him to be starting.

I think hes earned himself a start for this weekend but i still wouldnt be dropping Morelos. Itten on the right, Kent on the left and Morelos through the centre for me. See how he gets on.

Certainly looks like theres a player in there.

To be honest I don’t see the point in slinging in all these high crosses unless we have height in the box.

The way we played yesterday was screaming for Itten to have started.

I’d have played Morelos further to the right with Itten up top and then swapped Aribo for Hagi.

I would like to see him start a few games or at least come on earlier than he does when sub.

Maybe when the league is wrapped up he will get more of a chance?

Can't see morelos going because I can't see anyone bidding let alone bidding close to previous supposed bids. Not bashing him as I'm a fan but he's been mostly pish this year. He's usually good at scoring from kinda nothing but when that isn't there his link play and hold up play is erratic at best. And he misses too many easy chances.

People wanting to sign him will look at that. He needs 3 to 5 months top form again before he gets good bids imo.

I really like Itten and I think he will be a great striker for us. Our recruitment team have done a great job with him (as is now standard).

As to whether he will be our main striker next year depends on whether Morelos is still here. That depends on his form for the rest of the season and the clubs valuation. Personally, I'd accept a £18m offer in the summer.

I really like Itten and I think he will be a great striker for us. Our recruitment team have done a great job with him (as is now standard).

As to whether he will be our main striker next year depends on whether Morelos is still here. That depends on his form for the rest of the season and the clubs valuation. Personally, I'd accept a £18m offer in the summer.
Yeah my question was if Morelos leaves do we spent a few bob on a first choice replacement or do we maybe go down the back up route and let Itten be the main man up top

Him and Morelos make the same runs I have noticed so they won’t work in the same team but going back 3/4 years him and Defoe would have been lethal together

Him and Morelos make the same runs I have noticed so they won’t work in the same team but going back 3/4 years him and Defoe would have been lethal together
Itten and Roofe long term could make an interesting partnership with Hagi/Kent/Aribo as the third member of the front 3 being the creator

To be honest I don’t see the point in slinging in all these high crosses unless we have height in the box.

Agree PMB, but the run makes the pass, and we weren’t making enough runs into the channels to give us that option mate.

Hagi, Kent, Aribo were all disappointing in that respect imo.

I think Itten still looks raw but there is no doubting he has ability. Fortunately our performances in the main have allowed him to time to settle in to the club and team without him being under pressure to dig us out of a hole too often.

He has a very good touch, powerful runner and decent in the air. Qualities that make him a handful for opposing defences. I think he will be a very very good player over the coming seasons. As his four goals against Motherwell alone show, he can score very different types of goals.

Given Morelos will likely leave and Roofe can play across the front line and offer a goal threat from wide do we see Itten taking the lead strikers role or will someone come in to put Itten on the bench again I think Itten has shown that with a run of games he could score a barrel load of goals
Morelos has been likely to leave for the last 3 or 4 transfer windows.

Back