Allan McGregor - Rangers GOAT

I'm old enough to have seen many great Rangers keepers and also some shite one, for me nobody comes close to Goram
McGregor is good possibly as good as Woods, better than Klos but the Goalie was sensational

I genuinely only ever remember McGregor making one mistake and it was at Ibrox when we beat them 4-2. McCoist was manager

I love McGregor but Goram is still number 1 for me. There was a time where he was top 3 in Europe if not the world in the early 90’s. We’ve been so lucky when it comes to Goalkeepers

I understand people saying Goram. I attended probably at least 90% of the games he played & he was supernatural but.. I think there's an argument to be made for macgregor, especially after the last few years. Goram played behind a dominant Rangers defence whereas Greegs has had a bit more work to do over the last couple of years & the only slip up I can think of is the spartak Moscow game last season.

I understand people saying Goram. I attended probably at least 90% of the games he played & he was supernatural but.. I think there's an argument to be made for macgregor, especially after the last few years. Goram played behind a dominant Rangers defence whereas Greegs has had a bit more work to do over the last couple of years & the only slip up I can think of is the spartak Moscow game last season.
The 9IAR defence was shambles for a few years mate, if we are being perfectly honest I’d imagine Goram was a whole lot busier than McGregor during those years.

Sorry lads, I adore shagger I really do, but you just didn’t see Goram make these sorts of mistakes (against the scum no less). Okay the first two are out and out blunders, the second two aren’t but I’ve included them because they’re more recent examples of what I would call weak goalkeeping and it’s the sort of thing that hasn’t been common in McGregor’s career, but also hasn’t exactly been a rarity either. However, it was absolutely a rarity in Goram’s, you’ll struggle badly to find many examples of Goram being beaten that easily.

And as @erskine bear rightly notes, it’s the indecision coming for crosses at times too, I mean that cost us dear in the league cup semi for example, Sadiq took all the heat but shagger was poor at the winning goal. McGregor is a brilliant goalkeeper, my favourite player in the current side, but he’s not the greatest keeper we’ve ever had and to suggest “no one comes close” given all of what I’ve just discussed, suggests there’s mind bending class A substances coming into play here.

e5b7d19a-7dd7-489c-88d1-b8ee55f4ce20.gif

ca87aa9a-5284-4f4c-8136-e469d137898b.gif

756fe3c4-4ad4-4add-8519-e5c757a8fbd1.gif

7f97a026-442e-40fd-8cab-45805c9976fe.gif

Sorry lads, I adore shagger I really do, but you just didn’t see Goram make these sorts of mistakes (against the scum no less). Okay the first two are out and out blunders, the second two aren’t but I’ve included them because they’re more recent examples of what I would call weak goalkeeping and it’s the sort of thing that hasn’t been common in McGregor’s career, but also hasn’t exactly been a rarity either. However, it was absolutely a rarity in Goram’s, you’ll struggle badly to find many examples of Goram being beaten that easily.

And as @erskine bear rightly notes, it’s the indecision coming for crosses at times too, I mean that cost us dear in the league cup semi for example, Sadiq took all the heat but shagger was poor at the winning goal. McGregor is a brilliant goalkeeper, my favourite player in the current side, but he’s not the greatest keeper we’ve ever had and to suggest “no one comes close” given all of what I’ve just discussed, suggests there’s mind bending class A substances coming into play here.

c644e39b-2453-4fc9-ba2d-8ad644c644cb.gif

Good post, I’m sure you could find a few other instances of those from 18/19 & 19/20.

A poster above has referred to the 4-2 2011 game as being the only howler, it’s the worst gaffe he’s made. The most obvious error.

The above you’ve posted features instances of poor goalkeeping that lead to goals, so somewhat less memorable than outright howlers.

Over the course, he is a great keeper & the best I’ve seen in my lifetime. I’m glad we have him.

e5b7d19a-7dd7-489c-88d1-b8ee55f4ce20.gif

There are plenty more too. Think we should just be thankful he is playing well

Good post, I’m sure you could find a few other instances of those from 18/19 & 19/20.

A poster above has referred to the 4-2 2011 game as being the only howler, it’s the worst gaffe he’s made. The most obvious error.

The above you’ve posted features instances of poor goalkeeping that lead to goals, so somewhat less memorable than outright howlers.

Oh there are a number of other examples I could have included (can’t be arsed finding them all and GIFing them all though), I used to feel McGregor had a habit of coming too far off his line too, there’s a few goals he’s been beaten by the ball going over him where he really shouldn’t have in my opinion.

Anyway, I think he’s a star let’s get that right, I’m not saying he’s just good for us, I think he’s a superstar. But if someone wants to elevate him about the goalie then I’d have to be critical of these sorts of instances because they just didn’t happen often at all where Goram was concerned.

Last edited:
Oh there are a number of other examples I could have included (can’t be arsed finding them all and GIFing them all though), I used to feel McGregor had a habit of coming too far off his line too, there’s a few goals he’s been beaten by the ball going over him where he really shouldn’t have in my opinion.

Anyway, I think he’s a star let’s get that right, I’m not saying he’s just good for us, I think he’s a superstar. But if someone wants to elevate him about the goalie then I’d have to be critical of these sorts of instances because they just didn’t happen at all where Goram was concerned.
I really hope, just for entertainment, that someone takes you up on this & provides some.

What about 97/98, incredibly poor from what I’ve heard & can you attribute that all to his lifestyle or mentality at the time?.

There was countless games in the 90's when Goram was the difference between victory and defeat. He had superhuman reactions and I'd go as far as to say he was the single most important player during 9 in a row.

McGregor is an excellent keeper but he's made far too many avoidable mistakes to surpass Goram for me.

The 9IAR defence was shambles for a few years mate, if we are being perfectly honest I’d imagine Goram was a whole lot busier than McGregor during those years.
[/QUO
I think "shambles" might be an overstatement but yes, Goram definitely played a major part in our success. Obviously when gough was paired with Petric & maclaren wasn't our strongest defense & Goram played his part against a relatively strong Celtic team but I think macgregor overall has done well. His saves at Ibrox the other week would have been crucial if Celtic weren't so pish lol

Goram was voted the Scottish football writers player of the year and the SPFA player’s player of the year in the 92/93 season mate. He wasn’t just sitting behind a tight defence with little to do. He’s regarded as the greatest because of a plethora of sensational saves that ultimately helped us when a shit load of trophies. So being in front of a better defence doesn’t really come into play here for me personally.

I really hope, just for entertainment, that someone takes you up on this & provides some.

What about 97/98, incredibly poor from what I’ve heard & can you attribute that all to his lifestyle or mentality at the time?.

Aye, Goram made a few mistakes in 97/98 when he was a mess and also at the start in 91/92 when he was adjusting to the demands of being a Rangers player but inbetween I'm struggling to think of any.

I'm 38 and he's the 4th best in my time. In terms of consistency and technique Goram and Klos are miles ahead of anyone. Two more consistent goalkeepers you'd struggle to find in Britain in the last 30 years. Woods was excellent before his illness and injury too.

McGregor has made at least 20 howlers in his two spells with us, the other 3 put together wouldnt equal that. That's not to say I don't rate him, I do.

His 'Shagger' persona and the cult of personality that come with it create amnesia when it comes to his mistakes. I'll be absolutely delighted for him when he lifts the title in May, delighted.

I’ve edited it, it was meant to say “doesn’t happen often at all”. Goram did make mistakes, they were just rare. 98 he had injuries and clearly wasn’t at his professional best either because he was a bit overweight. He made mistakes that led to Robbie Winters getting a tap in at tannadice and allowed Neil McCann to score at Ibrox (he tried to dribble Winters and lost it, he mishit a clearance and McCann scored). So there’s gaffs, but not coming for crosses and getting beat by tame efforts like the Jones goal are things you’d struggle to find examples of. And you’ll definitely struggle to find examples of him dropping clangers against the scum.

But the reality of 98 is it was a season too far for a number of players in that squad, it was an ageing squad that had run out of steam.

@Sjbaxter77 i get your points, but we conceded more goals in every season from 94-98 than we have in any season since McGregor came back.

That suggests either, that Goram kept very little out or that the defence let that teams have more shots on goal than you’d expect.

Look at any OF games back then, Goram is making 3/4/5 big saves & that’s only on 20 minute highlight clips.

McGregor only needs to make 1 or 2 these days because our defence lets the opposition get so few shots away.

My opinion isn’t as valid here, but from what I’ve seen between say 93-96 the defence in particular looked very very poor.

I'm 38 and he's the 4th best in my time. In terms of consistency and technique Goram and Klos are miles ahead of anyone. Two more consistent goalkeepers you'd struggle to find in Britain in the last 30 years. Woods was excellent before his illness and injury too.

McGregor has made at least 20 howlers in his two spells with us, the other 3 put together wouldnt equal that. That's not to say I don't rate him, I do.

His 'Shagger' persona and the cult of personality that come with it create amnesia when it comes to his mistakes. I'll be absolutely delighted for him when he lifts the title in May, delighted.

I think Klos gets forgotten about in these debates which is a shame as he was incredibly consistent and rarely caught out of position. He was the best I've seen at using his feet in making saves.

Goram was voted the Scottish football writers player of the year and the SPFA player’s player of the year in the 92/93 season mate. He wasn’t just sitting behind a tight defence with little to do. He’s regarded as the greatest because of a plethora of sensational saves that ultimately helped us when a shit load of trophies. So being in front of a better defence doesn’t really come into play here for me personally.
Fair enough, I wasn't saying macgregor was better. I just think he's up there when you consider his body of work for the club

Just look at some of these saves. Year after year in the modern era of the game. Quicker, more powerful and more skilful players than ever before. He’s stopped them all. I’m sorry, no one comes close.

Best in recent times but no where near Goram. As much as I love Shagger he isnt better than Woods either.

We have had world class players but Goram is probably the only one when playing for us could be argued to be the best in his position world wide

Last edited:
My first Rangers game was when i was 5 in 1971. Seen a few goalies since then.
If someone want to claim McGregor or Goram as this "GOAT" who am i to argue: batter in.
There are so many things to take into account when these opinions are formed which makes it hard to reach agreement
Me? I am just glad that over the decades we as a club have always had an eye for great goalkeepers that we can continue to argue/debate over.

p.s. i find it strange that posters have actually taken time to search for mistakes by our current goalie and posted them.
Quite bizarre in fact :( :(

p.p.s. you do know there is a lot more footage of our current goalie compared to Goram/Klos/Woods etc. Modern society/coverage and all that.

@Sjbaxter77 i get your points, but we conceded more goals in every season from 91-98 than we have in any season since McGregor came back.

That suggests either, that Goram kept very little out or that the defence let that teams have more shots on goal than you’d expect.

Look at any OF games back then, Goram is making 3/4/5 big saves & that’s only on 20 minute highlight clips.

McGregor only needs to make 1 or 2 these days because our defence lets the opposition get so few shots away.

My opinion isn’t as valid here, but from what I’ve seen between say 93-96 the defence in particular looked very very poor.

A few of those were 44 game seasons.

I think Klos gets forgotten about in these debates which is a shame as he was incredibly consistent and rarely caught out of position. He was the best I've seen at using his feet in making saves.
Klos against the mentally challengeds in the 1-0 game & the 9 men hearts game, wow.

I actually think it’s became trendy to save McGregor is better than Klos, seeing a lot of people saying that these days.

A few of those were 44 game seasons.
Fair enough, 36 game started in 94 I believe & Rangers conceded 35 goals.

I could be totally wrong, but looking back the defence around that period seems a bit ‘all over the place’.

Goram and Woods for me.
But like most it's probably who you have the fondest memories growing up with.

That was my biggest take away from these recent debates about our goalkeepers, staggered at just how many people seem to have forgotten just how good Klos was.

My first Rangers game was when i was 5 in 1971. Seen a few goalies since then.
If someone want to claim McGregor or Goram as this "GOAT" who am i to argue: batter in.
There are so many things to take into account when these opinions are formed which makes it hard to reach agreement
Me? I am just glad that over the decades we as a club have always had an eye for great goalkeepers that we can continue to argue/debate over.

p.s. i find it strange that posters have actually taken time to search for mistakes by our current goalie and posted them.
Quite bizarre in fact :( :(

p.p.s. you do know there is a lot more footage of our current goalie compared to Goram/Klos/Woods etc. Modern society/coverage and all that.

Yeah mate the concept of backing up your claims with evidence is truly bizarre.

Goram is our best ever but he was also capable of mistakes.Anyone who was at Tynecastle for one of his first games will remember asking their mates why we replaced Chris Woods with Goram

@Sjbaxter77 i get your points, but we conceded more goals in every season from 94-98 than we have in any season since McGregor came back.

Ive mentioned our defence during that time to others the last few weeks. Yes we had Gough but he was usually partnered by guys like Dave McPherson, Petric, Moore and Pressley.

We signed McLaren to be his long term partner and replacement and he picked up a career ending injury.

Ive mentioned our defence during that time to others the last few weeks. Yes we had Gough but he was usually partnered by guys like Dave McPherson, Petric, Moore and Pressley.

We signed McLaren to be his long term partner and replacement and he picked up a career ending injury.
Even Gough could make a mistake, the 8IAR Aberdeen game he should be dealing with the corner.

I think it’s romanticism in a sense, & I’m not criticising anyone for it because in about 8 years I will probably think my team is the best ever.

Just trying to add some context to the debate :))

Even Gough could make a mistake, the 8IAR Aberdeen game he should be dealing with the corner.

I think it’s romanticism in a sense, & I’m not criticising anyone for it because in about 8 years I will probably think my team is the best ever.

Just trying to add some context to the debate :))
To add bit more context, the standard of football was better back then. Not rose tinted view, but most teams actually tried to play attacking football.
Agree tho that everyone has their favourite team and apart from the current side then for me the 9iar team were my heroes

@Sjbaxter77 i get your points, but we conceded more goals in every season from 91-98 than we have in any season since McGregor came back.

Goram definitely won a few games for us during that period but I wouldn't say the defence was that bad. Maybe not as "dominant " as I previously claimed but we were walking away with league titles around that time up until about 95 when it was close

Back