John Hughes on Rangers

Empire

@Empire1872 - Twitter
Staff member

‘Proper football’: Hughes a big fan of Rangers’ style​

Ross County boss says Rangers 'play football the way it should be played'.​

19th Jan 2021 at 12:07
John Hughes takes his Ross County side to Ibrox at the weekend.

John Hughes takes his Ross County side to Ibrox at the weekend.
Ross County boss John Hughes revealed his admiration of Rangers’ style of play ahead of the trip to Ibrox on Saturday.

The Staggies boss is buoyed by the 4-1 home win over Aberdeen at the weekend which took them off the bottom of the Scottish Premiership.

He is now preparing for a game against Steven Gerrard’s side, who have won 21 and drawn three of their 24 league games and who sit 21 points clear of champions Celtic at the top of the table, albeit having played three games more.

Hughes said: “Rangers play football the way it should be played. They keep the ball, you don’t get a touch of it.

“I could sit here and wax lyrical about Rangers because their style of play is right up my street.

“Proper football; Everybody can look after the ball, full-backs scoring goals, guys coming off the bench and doing the business, plenty of rotation, pace, goals and that’s why where they are where they are.

“I have been to Ibrox many a time when you are right up against it. There is no getting away from it, they have better players than us.

“I use a great phrase; bulls and matadors. There is many a time I have been the bull and it is not nice getting a chasing. It might be like that on Saturday.

“Many a time I have coached a team when they have been matadors and it is a great feeling when you are looking after the ball and taking your time, taking the sting out of the opposition, moving to from side to side, looking for that opening.

“That’s what Rangers do, you can see they have been well-coached and they implement it.

“So we will be right up against it but it is one we are looking forward to. As a player it cannot faze you, it has to inspire you.

“You get to test yourself against the best and I hope the boys can do that, that their mind-set is that we can give them a game.”

Everyone’s favourite Tim being everyone’s favourite Tim again.

Hopefully he brings his team on Saturday to play football and we can tear them apart. Nice little bounce for us going into the run in.

Calls it as it is even if it is not what authorities like. Tries to get his teams playing football. I dont think we will see 10/11 men behind the ball on Saturday from him.

Interesting that the two current managers who are able to recognise how well we play are deemed 'Tims'.
McInnes knows it finish him off to recognise we are a decent team.

Hughes is proof that just because you're a Celtic man you don't need to be a paranoid, vindictive arsehole with a victim complex. There's a few could learn from him.

Eta: Brian Rice is another. Decent guys who love the game and put it first. Respect to them both.
He’s not a Celtic man, he just played for them.

Like Yogi, tries to get his teams to play a good style of football too. Which is refreshing in our league

There’s actually people who’ll have a go at you for not disliking him. But I mean I don’t know why you need to. Much like Brian Rice, he’s not bitter, just an honest guy who gives credit where it’s due.

One of Scottish footballs few good guys to be honest and he’s a decent manager too, I mean he won Caley Thistle a Scottish Cup.

Always had a mad thought to myself that if I only won enough on the lottery to buy a diddy club, I would have Yogi as my manager.

Infectious enthusiasm, plays the game the right way but still has the old school steel running through him.

He’ll be all the c.un.ts under the sun if we don’t win comfortably on Saturday though:))

Always liked big yogi despite playing for them. One of the good guys and like Brian Rice a proper football man.

He won’t be flavour of the month with ra faithful after those comments B-D

He's hard to dislike as a man. Horrible player though. Hard and dirty but seems a genuine good lad.

Hard as f*ck but not dirty, just an old fashioned centre back who cleared his lines.

However as a coach he wants the game played the right way and has a wonderful and fresh enthusiasm for the game which I am sure makes his coaching enjoyable.

Last edited:
Is he not a Hibs fan that just played for them?

On OpenGoal he admitted to being a Celtic fan but his mates were all Hibees so he went to Easter Road if he couldn’t get to Celtic games. There were a few like that back in the day

Met him at Easter road (non match day) when he was playing at hibs. Decent guy and the opposite of most head up arse footballers.

Hughes is proof that just because you're a Celtic man you don't need to be a paranoid, vindictive arsehole with a victim complex. There's a few could learn from him.

Eta: Brian Rice is another. Decent guys who love the game and put it first. Respect to them both.

Good shout Scarlett.

Anton Rogan could be added to that list LOL

To be honest as much as anything I don’t mind Yogi because when I hear his name I always think of the commentary “John Hughes is there! It’s off the crossbar! The Celtic players can’t believe it and Gascoigne might punish them now....”

ChO-JdkWUAAYg5o.jpg

Back