John Hughes on Rangers

One of Scottish footballs good guys
It's also a credit to all of us on FF that can we judge someone for who they are and what they achieve without any hint of bitterness.

Seen a few folks saying how decent a guy Brian Rice is as well just shows once again that we are not and never have been the real bigots in this country.

We all know who takes that mantra.

Hope county stay up this year. Would rather they stay up and a plastic pitch club get relegated. (after they get scudded on Saturday of course)

Reactions: TNT
Someone who just loves football.

Always tries to be positive about the game - in a country where there is a lot of negativity.

I would have had him as Scotland coach before Clarke. Because I felt the team needed to be able to go with a smile on their faces and be positive.

Hughes is proof that just because you're a Celtic man you don't need to be a paranoid, vindictive arsehole with a victim complex. There's a few could learn from him.

Eta: Brian Rice is another. Decent guys who love the game and put it first. Respect to them both.
Brian Rice and Yogi are best mates and both are what you would imagine they would be when meeting them, good football men and good down to earth guys.

Everyone’s favourite Tim being everyone’s favourite Tim again.
No issue whatsoever with what he's said. A bit of mind games given we've dropped form of late even when playing teams that are happy to have a go but he's not otherwise wrong.

I remember the days when we played really stodgy football, couldn't get a cross pass the first man, never got excited by a free kick because it always amounted to nothing and we couldn't ever seem to get a head on a corner.

We're well past that now, thank goodness and good to see others recognise it.

Brian Rice and Yogi are best mates and both are what you would imagine they would be when meeting them, good football men and good down to earth guys.
They were best mates. I think they had a fall out though.

I think that is when he took Latapy to Inverness.

I don’t know why he was out of the game so long. Scotland should have gave him the job before Steve Clarke.

Reactions: TNT
Not true. He's from Leith and supported Celtic as a kid, but he did used to go and watch Hibs too.
The guy that used to be a mod on the Hibs Mad board on the footy mad boards years ago went to school with him and said the same.

Only him and the Hamilton boss who have come out overly complimentary about us, the only 2 other managers who try to get their boys to play the ball on the deck

Got a lot of time for Big Yogi, he used to come down to Bught Park in Inverness and watch the kids playing football, he would talk with anyone there. Very passionate about Scottish Football.

They were best mates. I think they had a fall out though.

I think that is when he took Latapy to Inverness.
They used to go about in a four with their wives but Rice has split so that could have had an impact, all mates have fall outs when basically seeing each other all day every day, I’m sure they’re still buddies mate

Last edited:
It's also a credit to all of us on FF that can we judge someone for who they are and what they achieve without any hint of bitterness.

Seen a few folks saying how decent a guy Brian Rice is as well just shows once again that we are not and never have been the real bigots in this country.

We all know who takes that mantra.

Agree Davie, and it’s something that makes me proud as a bear.

Look at so many of our heroes over the years.

Can we chop John Hughes threads? He's tainted by association with convicted criminals.

Was one who stood up for us saying it was ridiculous we didn't get help from SFA when we had the UEFA Cup Final to play with no chance to prepare.

A top man. One of footballs good guys. How it should be, not consumed by bitterness or hate.

that said I’ll be calling him all the bastards if we drop points at the weekend.

A lot of time for Hughes, his philosophy and honest assessment are a breath of fresh air.
He tries to get his teams playing an entertaining style of play, if only other managers had that idea.

He has always spoken very respectfully of us, particularly ahead of matches with us.
Don't know if it's all smoke and mirrors or if he is genuinely a good guy, but seems genuine.

I can vividly remember a game from many years ago against a John Hughes Falkirk (?) team which we won 6-2 or it might even have been more and I've always said that if I could have found Hughes after the game I would have shook his hand and thanked him for their part in a wonderful game of football. Falkirk (?) Played very very well that night and the score actually flattered us as, if my memory is correct, we.scored.3 goals in the last 5 minutes or so. Seems to be a pretty decent.guy.

Really hard to dislike the big man. Nice to see him back in the top league again.

There's my thing I've learned today!

Both guys you could imagine sitting down for a pint with.

Stephen Kelly will do well under Hughes at Ross County. Will be a good experience for him.

He has a far superior managerial record than Clarke.

Clarke is a better manager than Hughes and has just taken us to our first major finals in 22 years. Quite a bizarre shout.

But yes, Yogi should always be involved in the Scottish game in some capacity. A panacea to the likes of 5-5-0 Robinson.

Everyone’s favourite Tim being everyone’s favourite Tim again.
I dont think Yogi Hughes is actually a celtic fan. He's from the east coast I'm sure and celtic just happened to sign him for a brief period. Always struck me as an alright bloke.

I can vividly remember a game from many years ago against a John Hughes Falkirk (?) team which we won 6-2 or it might even have been more and I've always said that if I could have found Hughes after the game I would have shook his hand and thanked him for their part in a wonderful game of football. Falkirk (?) Played very very well that night and the score actually flattered us as, if my memory is correct, we.scored.3 goals in the last 5 minutes or so. Seems to be a pretty decent.guy.
7-2 scored Darcheville got 2 and Broadfoot late on

After we take four off them and bag another three points, big Yogi can wax lyrical all night about how good we are if he wants to.

He’s a Hibby and sound can remember him getting interviewed years ago when he was Hibs manager and his philosophy on football he said it’s a working class man,s game pie and pint hated all the money that was taking the game away from its roots it was quite inspired really would love to see it again.

Back