Would we be better out of the Europa League?

Did you read the OP?

I think there's more than a few who haven't and think Im talking about being able to concentrate on league games.
We're 21 points clear and we've won every game bar 3 to quote Neil Lennon. We've come through what 14 Europa League games without any real Covid issues and it'd be a change in that pattern if it was to start now. I don't think there's any benefit to not being involved in it now.

Why are people on here so quick to dismiss Europe? Or at least constantly asking if we might be better off not bothering with Europe?

First, there is the financial side of things. We can afford to just leave that money on the table?

Second, on the football side, it provides a challenge to our players that they simply do not get in the SPL and overcoming these challenges builds experience and confidence and shows ways we might improve our game. Matches like Willem, Liege, Benfica and Poznan away would all be good preparation for us for games at Parkhead. We've faced quality opposition and it stands us in good stead going forward.

Third is the standing of our club on the world stage. Rangers needs to be a name seen often on these midweeks when everyone is talking about European football. Nobody outside of Scotland gives a damn about the SPL. Our performances against Braga last season and moments like Roofe's goal against Liege are fantastic for our club.

We can't realistically be OK with losing all of that.

I think there's a difference between the Celtic squad getting on a plane and going to a resort, sitting by a pool have a beer or in the bar and being there for a week and a tighter turnaround on a football match journey where there will be much less moving around outwith the tightly controlled sleeping, training and playing environments then getting back home immediately.

There's always a degree of risk, but it's much less for this kind of purpose I reckon.

Thanks mate. At least you've read the OP and dealing with the questions I asked rather than assuming I want us out of Europe.

But it was fine last week yeah?

sheep game was the best we've played in weeks, cue all the "a full week of rest makes all the difference" thoughts from everyone, me included.

motherwell was the worst we've played all season bar livi maybe.

Why are people on here so quick to dismiss Europe? Or at least constantly asking if we might be better off not bothering with Europe?

First, there is the financial side of things. We can afford to just leave that money on the table?

Second, on the football side, it provides a challenge to our players that they simply do not get in the SPL and overcoming these challenges builds experience and confidence and shows ways we might improve our game. Matches like Willem, Liege, Benfica and Poznan away would all be good preparation for us for games at Parkhead. We've faced quality opposition and it stands us in good stead going forward.

Third is the standing of our club on the world stage. Rangers needs to be a name seen often on these midweeks when everyone is talking about European football. Nobody outside of Scotland gives a damn about the SPL. Our performances against Braga last season and moments like Roofe's goal against Liege are fantastic for our club.

I don't want us out of Europe. It was a question based on the unusual situation in the world at the moment.

We're 21 points clear and we've won every game bar 3 to quote Neil Lennon. We've come through what 14 Europa League games without any real Covid issues and it'd be a change in that pattern if it was to start now. I don't think there's any benefit to not being involved in it now.

Absolutely it would but all I'm saying is that you don't need to catch it on the trip.

These players families are still mixing with other people and there is an incubation period so if one tests positive on the Friday then we would have issues due to the enclosed aircraft space. That's all.

My OP was also a question and contained questions as to whether this would be different for us.

So hardly merited the "absolute mentalist" part of your post to be quite honest.

Hear me out here.

I love our form in Europe and think we could go far in the tournament so I'm not coming at this from a sporting viewpoint.

But, given the scale of their isolation last week, should we really be putting our full squad together on a plane and running the risk of widespread isolations?

Or would the risk of this be lesser for us due to better spacing on planes and/or more rigourous testing around the flight?
As long as we follow the guidelines then we should be ok. As a club we should compete in every competition open to us

Because Helander wasnt with us when he tested positive he was on international duty

So? The point is if we had a positive test on a Friday after Europa, no mattr where the player picked it up, we could lose a number of players.

It's an unusual situation and my OP was a question in any case.

I'm going to say no, our Club have been leading the way with regards to Covid exposure and between brand exposure, £££ income, player value potential on the higher stage, and plus we love it as fans lets be honest... The pros have to outweigh any potential incident that, truth be told, could happen here or when the players go into International games.

It's the polar opposite of the jolly to Dubai, we are playing in a UEFA tournament, we have a good chance at progression,

Outwith Helander & Patterson (maybe other youngsters too) who became exposed whilst on international duty, and the 2 idiots who broke protocol, we have been first class to the point the Scottish Government commended how we handled it.

All necessary precautions have been taken, we can only hope that Antwerp are on par with us, if any outbreak did take place we will deal with it accordingly.

Absolutely it would but all I'm saying is that you don't need to catch it on the trip.

These players families are still mixing with other people and there is an incubation period so if one tests positive on the Friday then we would have issues due to the enclosed aircraft space. That's all.

My OP was also a question and contained questions as to whether this would be different for us.

So hardly merited the "absolute mentalist" part of your post to be quite honest.
Based on the 14 trips so far when it has gone okay, this one might be the exception?

Unless we're having pints by the pool and hitting the pubs we'll probably be fine.

I don't want us out of Europe. It was a question based on the unusual situation in the world at the moment.

Never said you want us out of Europe.
The answer to your question is "No".
It always has been no and it always will be no.
This season, next season, every season.
European football is important for this club.

Just pointing out that every few months for the past 3 seasons we seem to have posters always banging on about "would we be better off out of Europe" or "would going out of Europe help us in the league". It's pretty regular on here.

We need to be playing in Europe for the reasons I gave.

Nothing to do with cash or not wanting to be in it. I love the competition.
Sorry mate, came across as a bit sarcastic. Didn’t mean it to be. It just that we get these posts over and over as though Europe is somehow an inconvenience to us when the truth of the matter is that it is essential for our progress. Without it we would be selling assets, make no mistake.

Our conduct abroad will be nowhere near the calamity that we have witnessed by Lennon and Co. We simply are a more professional outfit in every way.

The OP isn't dismissing Europe in a football context, he asking the question in relation to the pandemic

Thanks mate. At least you've read the OP and dealing with the questions I asked rather than assuming I want us out of Europe.
I think the key thing is the controls/protocols on the journey. Of course there's a degree of risk of catching it regardless, but if the correct social distancing on flights, buses, etc is adhered to then it should limit the numbers who would subsequently have to isolate. Of course also, in theory it should limit risk of it actually infecting anyone if we're unfortunate enough to get a case - which is more important.

So? The point is if we had a positive test on a Friday after Europa, no mattr where the player picked it up, we could lose a number of players.

It's an unusual situation and my OP was a question in any case.
So?

He wasnt with us when he contracted the virus, therefore none of the players were deemed close contacts.

Patterson had to isolate as he was deemed a close contact from a positive result after a home scotland under 21 game.

Based on the 14 trips so far when it has gone okay, this one might be the exception?

Unless we're having pints by the pool and hitting the pubs we'll probably be fine.

You don't know where you pick the virus up.

Not everyone who gets it breaks the rules. I didn't and still got it.

So again the "you complete mentalist" part of your post was ridiculous given it was a question I asked regarding what would be the possible ramifications of a positive in the round of testing following a Europa trip.

So?

He wasnt with us when he contracted the virus, therefore none of the players were deemed close contacts.

Patterson had to isolate as he was deemed a close contact from a positive result after a home scotland under 21 game.

I understand he wasn't with us when he got it.

You can get the virus anywhere mate. What's so hard to understand about that?

Hear me out here.

I love our form in Europe and think we could go far in the tournament so I'm not coming at this from a sporting viewpoint.

But, given the scale of their isolation last week, should we really be putting our full squad together on a plane and running the risk of widespread isolations?

Or would the risk of this be lesser for us due to better spacing on planes and/or more rigourous testing around the flight?
No.

Possibly the only reason we’re having this discussion is because a certain club’s arrogance caused mayhem for them.
We will follow protocols and will be fine.

So again the "you complete mentalist" part of your post was ridiculous given it was a question I asked regarding what would be the possible ramifications of a positive in the round of testing following a Europa trip.

Theres as much a chance of players catching it in Scotland than travelling to Belgium.

Infact, Scotland’s infection rate is higher than quite a lot of countries in mainland Europe.

Theres as much a chance of players catching it in Scotland than travelling to Europe.

Infact, Scotland’s infection rate is higher than quite a lot of countries in mainland Europe.

Indeed there is.

It's more the prospect of widespread isolations due to the contained space of the flight mate. That's all.

Hear me out here.

covid's here to stay, I doubt you have thought of anything that the club has not, did you feel this way in the group stages?
Personally, I feel doing well in europe is essential to our club, no matter the situation of this ever changing world, we deal with it, and carry on building our team and club towards success

We just need to be extra careful and ensure actual distancing protocols are kept in place. If (worst case) the full squad is wiped out by it (or has to isolate due to close contact) because of a trip for an actual competition we are required to compete in we should be allowed to postpone games when we return without penalty if we can prove no rules breached, completely different from Dubai.

I would be more concerned if we were neck and neck in the race for the tile.

True. What about if Tavernier picks it up when he goes for a Click and Collect order?

Keeps me awake at night that one.

It's vital for the prize money, for the value of our players, for the status of the club and the ability to attract players, for the co-efficient points, and the fact we should be trying to win everything we enter anyway, that we do everything possible to go as far in Europe as possible... Especially with the record in Europe we have with Gerrard. It will take games against top sides to see the best of our players. At times against Benfica away was unbelievable. Fingers crossed we get past Antwerp and get a more favourable draw or two... And you never know.

Could understand the OP a bit more if we were neck and neck but we should have a big enough lead to play our strongest team in Europe. Would be some way to announce we're back, a 20 point lead and a European trophy.

We just need to be extra careful and ensure actual distancing protocols are kept in place. If (worst case) the full squad is wiped out by it (or has to isolate due to close contact) because of a trip for an actual competition we are required to compete in we should be allowed to postpone games when we return without penalty if we can prove no rules breached, completely different from Dubai.

I would be more concerned if we were neck and neck in the race for the tile.

Thanks for actually reading the questions and responding mate.

Me too mate believe me but I just think losing a huge portion of the squad is all that can stop us now. That's all.

Nobody really saw 16 people from one team having to isolate coming. And its down to proximity on the aircraft. That's all.
Yeah I get your concerns & my brother has mentioned the same.

I don’t understand how they balls up so much that 13 players & 3 coaches had to isolate...players have tested positive in other teams all over Europe but I’ve not hear tell of 13 being close contacts.

I’m sure Ge55ard & the Club have all the best protection in place encase we do have a positive test that we don’t have to isolate high numbers. For example if it’s a private flight players could be social distancing.

We also did very well during the group stages regard C-19 so sit back & relax on our journey to 55 League Titles B-D

Again, the good far outweighs the bad on this topic. By a long way.

Absolutely mate. And as I've said, the OP was a question and how we would guard against such happening.

A number flying in as if I've said I'd rather be out to concentrate on league games.

Yeah I get your concerns & my brother has mentioned the same.

I don’t understand how they balls up so much that 13 players & 3 coaches had to isolate...players have tested positive in other teams all over Europe but I’ve not hear tell of 13 being close contacts.

I’m sure Ge55ard & the Club have all the best protection in place encase we do have a positive test that we don’t have to isolate high numbers. For example if it’s a private flight players could be social distancing.

We also did very well during the group stages regard C-19 so sit back & relax on our journey to 55 League Titles B-D

That's exactly it mate.

I'd rather we continued in it. Was just asking if it could hinder us with widespread isolation or of we'd be more protected.

No. Every coefficient point we earn improves our chances of getting an easier draw next season. Every European win boosts our reputation and could be the difference in whether a transfer target chooses to sign for us or not.
This all day long ^^

True. What about if Tavernier picks it up when he goes for a Click and Collect order?

Keeps me awake at night that one.

That's irrelevant to what's being said isn't it? And you know that.

The point isnt someone catching it. It's the potential for widespread isolation due to being on an aircraft and asking if we would be less open to this through further spacing or, as I said in the OP, more rigourous testing.

Basically you've jumped in and called someone a mentalist without reading the OP and now trying to continue to be smart now that you've realised that the point being made wasn't what you thought.

The league will be over soon so we can focus our efforts on winning the Europa League and with it all that delicious guaranteed Champions League money B-)

If the league was tight then maybe but as long as we do the business in the league to near enough confirm the title before Europa starts again then we shouldn’t have any problems. After that the more money and co-efficient points we can get the better for the club

sheep game was the best we've played in weeks, cue all the "a full week of rest makes all the difference" thoughts from everyone, me included.

motherwell was the worst we've played all season bar livi maybe.
Exactly mate.

No need to base anything on one game.

You just need to look at St Mirren in December for proof of why you shouldn't.

That's irrelevant to what's being said isn't it? And you know that.

The point isnt someone catching it. It's the potential for widespread isolation due to being on an aircraft and asking if we would be less open to this through further spacing or, as I said in the OP, more rigourous testing.

Basically you've jumped in and called someone a mentalist without reading the OP and now trying to continue to be smart now that you've realised that the point being made wasn't what you thought.
Well my answer is actually the same as it was initially: No we wouldn't be better out of the Europa League and stupid hypothetical questions around it don't change my view.

Back