Strachan Saying that Celtic are a "Far better team" - Now With Full Article

Wokster

Official Ticketer
ALL Gordon Strachan sees right now is a Rangers canter towards the Premiership crown.
It’s still only January but it’s a measure of how poor the Hoops have been throughout a calamitous campaign – a proverbial mile behind the Gers in the league, out of the Betfred Cup, out of Europe – that Strachan refuses to recognise the term ‘title race’.
Back in 2008 he sparked a sensational late Hoops comeback to secure a third successive championship – winning their last seven games, including two derbies, to pip UEFA Cup finalists Rangers who at one point had been seven points clear.

Now, though, it’s a CHASM of a gap from the Ibrox side who have a 21-point lead with 14 games left. And asked if there’s still currently a title race, Strachan told Football Pass: “No, not at the moment.“There’s not a title race. There’s a battle to start playing football again and winning points.

“Only when you get, I would say, if Celtic could get seven or eight points from them – and that’s going to be a hard get – then you could say there’s going to be a title race.“But at the moment it’s not a title race.“It’s up to the Celtic people to drag themselves back.
“There was an opportunity in the last couple of games. But they’ve had draws.“They could’ve got a couple of points closer, that’s for sure.“But, because of the circumstances, they’ve played games of football without major players.“And you need your major players – especially up front where you’ve got four of your strikers missing, including your two top ones Edouard and Griffiths
“I believe when they play – the stats, using my eyes, everybody knows it - Celtic are a far better team.”
Strachan smiled wryly over Neil Lennon’s sensational outburst on Monday – blasting ex-Celtic striker and Sky Sports pundit Andy Walker and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon while also vehemently denying the trip to Dubai amid the pandemic was a mistake.
He wonders if it was all simply a tactic by Lennon to use the platform of his first public address since returning from the UAE to fire up his team.
The 63-year-old fellow red-head has had his fair share of explosive outbursts through a memorable football career.
And of Lennon’s tirade, Strachan said of his former Celts captain: “Just when the Celtic people thought they were having a nice easy afternoon, the boys are back training, getting ready to play Livingston on Wednesday…
“Neil, who has been locked up for 10 days isolating, has got himself in a chair and I’m sure he was ready and calculated.
“Then he gave us, he gave everybody in the football world, something to talk about again.
“Talk shows, everything, will be talking about that.“And whether you admire it or whether you think it’s a bit clumsy or maybe not needed, it’s happened.“What we’ve seen is there’s an anger there – which you need as a manager.“There’s passion there – which you DEFINITELY need as a manager.“It’s also maybe given an indication to the players ‘Are you up for the fight?’.“Like, ‘If I’m going to take people on, you better be with me.’“Whether he’s right or wrong, that’s not the point.
We’ve all been there as a football manager when you think ‘This could be wrong.’“But is it right for me to say to the players ‘Are you with me?’“So that might’ve been a part of Neil’s defence.”
Strachan, meanwhile, has been knocked out by Rangers this term.
Of Steven Gerrard’s champions-elect – 21 wins, three draws, 60 goals scored, seven conceded – he said: “I think Rangers have had a lot of work on their defensive side.
“Now people think defensive side is a back four, heading the ball away and blocking things. It’s not that.
“That comes when individuals have been asked to do their jobs and they’ve been good at that.
“But as a group I think their platform for good attacking football is where they defend from.
“So, I don’t think they’ve been lucky in any way – I think their run of form has been excellent.
“You’ll probably say that maybe their flair players over the course of the last couple of months have not been as prolific, shining as they have been,“But their shape has been fantastic.
“So all credit goes to them. For all this thing about Celtic, you must give credit to Rangers who have done extremely well.
“And to take the body blows that they had last year…
“I spoke to Gary McAllister last year after this happened and I did say to him – and he knows it well – that the footballing gods make you suffer before you win something.
“And they suffered last year. They suffered as bad as what the Celtic group are going through now.“People saying this and that about them.“The fact they’ve done without any fans is fantastic.
“So they’ve done it all themselves. That’s a fantastic achievement.”

Last edited:
Would it be too much to ask to get the full story op?

Far better than what they are showing ?

The stats show Gerrard has won more games head to head .

WTF is going on? Does covid actually have an unknown side effect which causes folk to talk utter utter bollocks? It's like the twilight zone and as much as I'm loving it....it is very, very odd.

And so the PR machine starts to regurgitate its AI. B-DB-DB-DB-D

Absolutley Gordon, that’s why you’re tactical genius is held in such high regard!

Of course they are they have the best team in the world
The best fans in the world
The best management team in the world
The best moonhowlers in the world
The richest team in the world
The best CEO in world football
Why they are not winning this league ?

IM BAFFULT

I'm probably alone in this, but I didn't think they were the better team when we played them last; their chances were either driving into the Rangers box, and relying on individual effort, or resorting to taking a chance from outside the box- Rangers had a job to do, which was, at the very least, not to lose the game. It was very much the same as the first game, at their ground, they struggled to break Rangers down when we had kept our shape. Two games lost out of two says they are not the better side.

“I believe when they play – the stats, using my eyes, everybody knows it - Celtic are a far better team.”

Of course they are. They might have been better for 20 mins against us, but the rest of the time, the stats will tell you who are the better team.

We can't blame the media when you intentionally miss half of the quote to miss the context he's saying they are a better team when Edouard and Griffiths play up front

C'mere ya stupid wee runt!

giphy.gif

It’s the narrative that’s got them so entitled, if they are so better than us and he was referring to Edouard and Griffiths up top then why could they not score against us?

He said Celtic were a far better team when Édouard and Griffiths played.

He never said they were better than anyone just a better team when they played.

Do you know what I think he is right.

Why are people getting wound up ? Neic Lennon obviously has multiple log on for here,

And I’m meant to be the angry one.

Which Strachan,better than who ....we really should be told:rolleyes:

Ah just scanned the rest of the thread .
Better than no one ,just better with their first team players in the team.....no sh.t sherlock
University challange it is not :))

I don't think the op has read the full piece.

He means when the two fuds play up front then the Begggars are a better team than when the don't play.

He doesn't even mention us.

He doesn’t say that, in context it’s with Griffiths and Edouard, they are a better team than without.

when are people going to learn not to be fooled by newspaper clickbait headlines?
Exactly, paper going for a dramatic headline that doesn’t match the actual content

A far better team than what or who?
Prague, Ferencvaros, Cluj, Copenhagen.
Livingston, St.Johnstone, Hibernian, Ross County.
The lot of them.
As is the Celtic way, lets not bother with facts.
I’ve left out Rangers as not even a Strachan could consider this to be a truth.

Back