Do we have 5 games breathing space??

That also assumes they’ll beat us twice. I can’t see that happening to be honest, especially once Jack is back.
Reminds me of the song:

"Jack is Back,
I want my 3 points back,
Au Fait, Au Fait,
Since he went away,

Oh, oh, we'll never lose,
For I-I-I-I'll be....Singing the Blues"
(cha-cha, cha-cha)....

:p

Win 10 games and the league is over, depending on the Celtic result tomorrow it could be 9 wins from 14.

8 home games and 6 away games left, 14 in total

Games at home:
Ross County x1
St Johnstone x1
Kilmarnock x1
St Mirren x1
Dundee United x1
Celtic x1 after split
Likely Hibs x1 after split
Likely Aberdeen x1 after split

Games Away:
Hibs Away x1
Hamilton Away x1
Livi Away x1
Celtic x1
Likely Dundee United x1 after split

Game after the split im unsure about is Livi, if we were to play them at home again it would make us have 20 home games and 18 away for the season, or the reverse could be true but that would mean we've played them 3 times away.

There is absolutely no excuse not to get 10+ wins from that, the only games that should be in any sort of contention are the old firm games and maybe hibs and livi away.

In comparison Celtic still have away trips to Us, Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi (twice), Dundee United, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and St Johnstone
Thanks for that mate

Biggest lead ever lost in a title race in British football was 12 points by Newcastle United in the 1996 season to Manchester United.

We're currently 21 points ahead (12 if they win their games in hand). That's our breathing space. Don't think a 21 point lead has ever been squandered anywhere in the world before.
The way I look at it is, after beating them at the end of December last season we were just 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Two months later we were 13 behind, albeit still with one game extra to play.

So we shipped 11 points more than they did in that time, a completely unexpected collapse that no one saw coming.

If they win all three of their games in hand they’ll be 12 behind so remembering the previous season we should be very wary of believing we’re more or less home and dry.

We’re in a great position and really should go on to win it from here, but there’s still a lot of work to do before we get to dig out the red, white and blue bunting.

Last edited:
Biggest lead ever lost in a title race in British football was 12 points by Newcastle United in the 1996 season to Manchester United.

We're currently 21 points ahead (12 if they win their games in hand). That's our breathing space. Don't think a 21 point lead has ever been squandered anywhere in the world before.
Funnily enough last night watching Lennon's outburst I was thinking where have I seen anything like that before and it came to me , it was Kevin Keegan the then Newcastle manager having a rant against Alex Ferguson after a Newcastle game , though in fairness to Keegan it was nowhere near as bad as Lennon

Hopefully Helander comes back in at the weekend and we can go on a clean sheet run that will see us over the edge.

last few games we’ve started to slow, would love us to come out against county and blow them away in the first 20 minutes, make it a really comfortable afternoon

There is still a tiny nagging doubt in my mind, mainly due to the fact that despite their failings, no other feckin team in the league can beat the mhanks, thankfully we can and their draws have also been crucial, after Wednesday they still have on paper an easy run which is ridiculous, it’s all the bottom sides they are playing.

I’ll feel a lot better if we emerge from our next 2 games with 6 points.
Livi will not lose. This will be huge for us. Also, I expect them to throw in another draw soon when least expected.

Any assumption about what we can and cannot afford to drop is based entirely on what they do.

If the tims win all 17 remaining games then we have 6 points we can afford to drop.
(If they win all 17 then they will likely overcome the goal difference deficit also).

Things aren't really that simple though and there's no way to really guess exactly what's going to happen here.

Let's say we lose to Hibs and draw with Livingston and the tims win every match between now and the old firm on 20th March. Then we'd be going into that game seven points clear and we have 2 old firm games remaining. So it could still end up not going our way.

The truth is we can just say that we can't afford to drop anything and just have that attitude until the league is done.

Tomorrow night should be an interesting one.
Since Livingston were promoted the tims have travelled there 3 times.
2 draws and 1 defeat.

This is arguably their most difficult away game of the season outside Ibrox.
Thats not the truth though is it. Its an untruth. A lie, if you will.

We are a very difficult team to beat. Teams may get a draw where we struggle to break them down. We may lose one if we lose a silly goal and then can’t break a team down. Can’t see us losing 4 and can’t see Celtic getting the better of us in the last two games we have against them.
This is what being sensible actually looks like. Despite the pessimists on here saying being sensible is expecting a team who have won 6 out of about 20 games to suddenly reel off 17 wins on the spin. But remember, they are the ones being realistic! :eek: o_O

I know theres no evidence this season to back this up but ive got a horrible feeling they could go on a run. We need to be ready for this and stay focused
We need to be ready for something when you begin by saying that there is no evidence to support that thing happening?

Ok so we've got a healthy gap but let's not think about it as breathing space for slip ups.

Go out every game and from the get go let's crush our opponents. Doing this will squeeze any lingering hope the tims have and let us enjoy the season's end.

I’m still nervous about it all. It’s so important we don’t drop points in 2 games prior to next old firm as we don’t want a situation where a Celtic win COULD have them within 6 points with 6/7 games to go. Would put us under real pressure.

in any other league in the world it would be all over but the Celtic are more than capable of winning a large amount of games in a row. Outwith us nobody ever beats them

Think it was said on Clyde last week that without us kicking a ball, Celtic could win their next 7 matches 3-0 and we would still be top.
Eases my mind a bit thinking of it that way.
Yeh, but if and then if and but and maybe and if Celtic hadn't dropped any points this season and the new pope was a ginger Islamic dwarf lesbian. So we can't hang the red and blue bunting out yet. o_O

I’m still nervous about it all. It’s so important we don’t drop points in 2 games prior to next old firm as we don’t want a situation where a Celtic win COULD have them within 6 points with 6/7 games to go. Would put us under real pressure.

in any other league in the world it would be all over but the Celtic are more than capable of winning a large amount of games in a row. Outwith us nobody ever beats them
I'd hate to be so mentally weak willed

I think it’s a must that we win the remaining 2 games in January to ensure our self belief isn’t dented....we are better than all these teams we will face if we believe in ourselves and go onto the park fully committed!!

We should take the approach that we have no breathing space.

Play as if we are a point behind.

This title is in our own hands. They need help (in more ways than one).

The remaining two old firm games are the key. We just need to win one and that’ll be that.

I think that between now and end of the season, the 12 point gap will grow..

I think it is 17th February when they will finally have played the same number of games as us. We still have 5 games to play to get to that stage. If we are any more than 12 points clear by then it is a big bonus in my opinion.

We should be aiming to win it at the piggery on March 20th, 7 games until then, out with hibs and livi away, the other games our quality should see us through, they play 10 times before March 20th, if they were to drop 4 more points than us in that sequence we could clinch it there

We would need to have a collapse of biblical proportion and they would need to suddenly become a very good team for this campaign to end In anything other than 55. They will drop more points than us, even before we get to the split, some need to relax a bit and have faith in our team.
Me personally, I'm looking forward to the party :D

The only thing that will stop us winning the league is COVID either us catching it or the league being called because of it .

Still think we need to treat it more seriously. From their point of view they’ll be thinking win the OF games and it’s only 6 points.

While form and everything else suggests they won’t go on a winning streak - we have to assume they will and we mustn’t let the complacency slip in that’s been evident in some games recently.

The one’s who appear mentally tortured are the OGAAT fairies. Throwing salt over their shoulder, blessing themselves and Rangers, praying to every deity and generally shitting their pants anytime any fan online mentions a game 2 or 3 down the line.

Those who dont ascribe to the OGAAT doctrine and don’t self flagellate any time they even think of a game beyond the next one are the people who seem more chilled out, relaxed and enjoying life.

OGAAT

Seen this a few times what does it mean?

Let’s just win the next OF game and that’ll give us all the breathing space we need...
Win our next two games and were on the home straight i think 6 of our next against the bottom 6 with 5 of those games at home. Like you say win the next of or even draw and we're there

Would we need to lose 5 games for the title to be in jeopardy? After Sunday I've been trying to work it out.
Stop looking at the negative side and ask do you think Celtic will go unbeaten until the end of the season and you’re answer will be no chance do you’re 5 games fear would disappear

With the current weather forecast for Wednesday night there is a good chance their game tomorrow will be off. That will mean the gap remains 21 until the weekend :))

Back