The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Ben Davies is an interesting one seems very highly thought of down at Preston with many clubs after him can comfortably play at CB/LB the reports seem to suggest he would be a good fit for us solid, good in the air and comfortably in possession ticks all the boxes.

Also Daniel Johnson on a free transfer is a no brainer loves a shot in and around box we don't have that type of player really within the squad.

Could be two very decent options here especially on pre contacts.

Ben Davies is an interesting one seems very highly thought of down at Preston with many clubs after him can comfortably play at CB/LB the reports seem to suggest he would be a good fit for us solid, good in the air and comfortably in possession ticks all the boxes.

Also Daniel Johnson on a free transfer is a no brainer loves a shot in and around box we don't have that type of player really within the squad.

Could be two very decent options here especially on pre contacts.
Alex Neil is confident Johnson is staying.

If we’re talking Left Backs to replace borna I’d be looking at Tyrell Malacia at feyernoord or Puchacz from Lech Poznań both were very good against us and only 21
No chance of getting Malacia, he will go for a bit more than we can afford. Him or Wijndal will be battling it out for the Dutch LB spot for years to come IMO.

Yes Bassey is good enough to be our number 1, we arent in the market for finished articles.

Its not our development or transfer strategy.

There were plenty of folk unwilling to give Barisic the time to develop to the player he is and clueless folk wanting the dross of Warburton and Pedro over Tav.
Bassey is just a keen young player given a chance in the first team- full of energy and trying hard, but he is a million miles away from being good enough to replace Barasic.

Granted we aren't going out and buying finished articles, but we are not going out and signing 20 year olds with no first team experience at any level (never mind in teams competing for titles) and expecting them to just slip into the first team.

If Barasic goes, it won't be Bassey that takes the LB slot.

Imo, if we could sign both Scott Wright and Daniel Johnson on pre contracts and get them both in this window that would be a good january window for us. I think it was evident the Motherwell game that we haven't got a midfielder who is willing to shoot from outside the box. Johnson is the exact type of player we need.

No chance of getting Malacia, he will go for a bit more than we can afford. Him or Wijndal will be battling it out for the Dutch LB spot for years to come IMO.
The lad was only 19 when he played us and I instantly thought he was going places, looked to have a bit of everything, I’m sure it was his debut! Wouldn’t be surprised if he became their main man at LB

Id like extra ‘legs’ in midfield.

Still a tough few months ahead & even if we get Lundstram OOC, I can’t see Sheffield Utd letting him go as they’re in a dogfight.
I agree,Grigo, we're far too lightweight in midfield at the minute with Aribo and Kamara in there,good though they are, we're missing the strength in midfield Arfield brings and we don't have anyone else like him,Zungu isn't the answer and he's still coming to terms with the pace of the game.

I agree,Grigo, we're far too lightweight in midfield at the minute with Aribo and Kamara in there,good though they are, we're missing the strength in midfield Arfield brings and we don't have anyone else like him,Zungu isn't the answer and he's still coming to terms with the pace of the game.

Im with you Jack.

I don’t want to start WW3 ( Lurgan Flopp will do that I’m sure ) but I’d be nervous at Zungu starting at grounds such as Livingston/Hibs just from the frantic & barbarian nature of these games. He’s a good player from what I’ve seen, but there’s a certain ‘acclimatisation’ needed to football in UK.

So with Arfield injured, even if Jack finally gets back to full fitness, we’re a bit light in physicality for away games, especially with what’s at stake mate.

It would be sensational business if we managed to get Wright, Lundstram, Johnston and Davies on pre-contracts.

I read an article earlier that apparently Johnston and Davies have rejected new deals worth £17k a week at Preston, so they would be decent earners if they signed.

Are we like to strengthen in midfield or is it a case of wait until the summer? Personally I would like us to but I can also see why the board want to wait

I think Scott Wright might be the only player we sign this window, I think our midfield will be strong enough to last until the summer if we can keep everyone fit and there are no more injury setbacks. Will be great having Jack and Arfield back fit again, they are sorely missed.

I think Scott Wright might be the only player we sign this window, I think our midfield will be strong enough to last until the summer if we can keep everyone fit and there are no more injury setbacks. Will be great having Jack and Arfield back fit again, they are sorely missed.
And what if they get injured again in the run in??
Jacks got the shitfest playing for Scotland coming up aswell.

The other question would be how serious are we about pushing further in Europe?

I genuinely believe with the current situation we could go far but we would need an extra body or 2 for that happen

It would be sensational business if we managed to get Wright, Lundstram, Johnston and Davies on pre-contracts.

I read an article earlier that apparently Johnston and Davies have rejected new deals worth £17k a week at Preston, so they would be decent earners if they signed.
Taking a guess but your probably saving about £10 million by doing the pre contract route but significantly adding to the wage bill in the process.

Preston want £5 million for Davies apparantly and just over £2 million for Johnson and you would imagine it would be something inbetween for Lundstrum maybe more.

Wright is a nominal fee I think but we would be making a hell of a saving and massively improving our squad although I'm not particularly sure Wright is the sort of the player we currently need especially with Barker, Jones, Stewart still on the books likewise McCrorie/Murphy won't be off our wage bill till the summer.

Still think we need more quality in the number 10 areas.

Last edited:
Jack should be unavailable for those round of games no matter what! His injury needs nursed and even if he wants to play at the euros then rest during the break would be the best option for him.

We might need to accept that, at least in the short run.

That’s why I’d like to see a loan option added, if none of the hoped for OOC guys can’t be accelerated.

Taking a guess but your probably saving about £10 million by doing the pre contract route.

Preston want £5 million for Davies apparantly and just over £2 million for Johnson and you would imagine it would be something inbetween for Lundstrum.

Wright is a nominal fee anyway but we would be making a hell of a saving and massively improving our squad.

Still think we need more quality in the number 10 areas.
Another thing is Davies is only a year older than Katic and two years older than Edmundson.

He would be a major upgrade as the fourth choice CB and could probably push Balogun and Helander to be a starter.

We're going in at the 3rd qualifying round stage if we win the league, which is currently due to be played during the first week of August. It's maybe not as dangerous as it has been in past years.
Am talking about winning the league to get into the champions league qualifiers.
We’ve no won anything yet.

Another thing is Davies is only a year older than Katic and two years older than Edmundson.

He would be a major upgrade as the fourth choice CB and could probably push Balogun and Helander to be a starter.
Goldson, Helander, Davies, Balogun as our main defenders.

I reckon Edmundson will be moved on and I can possibly see Katic going out on loan unless we cash in so that's still 5 options depending on who we let go.

I reckon Edmundson will be moved on and I can possibly see Katic going out on loan unless we cash in so that's still 5 options depending on who we let go.
I can see Goldson going if we receive a good bid for him, he's been outstanding this season and must be attracting attention from down south.

I can see Goldson going if we receive a good bid for him, he's been outstanding this season and must be attracting attention from down south.
I think it's crucial we tie him down on a new contract out of all our positions we don't need to spend heavily on our backline this summer.

Middle to front and getting our bench stronger has to be the priority.

I would loan Katic next season.

Hopefully he returns to full fitness and form after his injury, then he could replace Balogun after he leaves.

I know this is all currently conjecture, but our succession planning looks very good.

Agree, let’s not make the mistake they made & be complacent.

The foot is on their throats, let’s ensure our boot is on it.
Ah hope this lead we’ve got doesn’t make the board think we can hold off till the summer.
That’s been the poets biggest mistake.

This is just my opinion we need Wright and Johnson in for options to play against these packed defences,bringing Barker on when we needed a goal last week was unbelievable.

Lundrstum can wait till the summer.

From what I have seen of them none start in our first choice team.

Still, if they are free, transfer fee wise.

Back