The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Significant pre contract offer for Preston's Ben Davies apparently
Daily Rhebel have nicked it off Football Insider can't find any real highlights of him but Gerrard does love a left footed CB a big bonus for me is he can cover LB which gives us a more solid option there if needed.

As I mentioned earlier today he is highly rated down in Preston and has many clubs after him so it would be interesting to see if anyone on here has an opinion on him.

Daily Rhebel have nicked it off Football Insider can't find any real highlights of him but Gerrard does love a left footed CB a big bonus for me is he can cover LB which gives us a more solid option there if needed.

As I mentioned earlier today he is highly rated down in Preston and has many clubs after him so it would be interesting to see if anyone on here has an opinion on him.
Deepdale Digest are also reporting on it.

Not sure he loves a left footed CB, he has one and currently plays two that are right footed.

Not sure he loves a left footed CB, he has one and currently plays two that are right footed.
Gerrard talked a lot about wanting a quality left footed defender and we eventually got Helander last summer at a bargain £2.5 million.

It's all about options and enhancing the squad remember Balogun is approaching his mid 30's, Katic is returning from a serious knee injury and it appears Edmondson will leave by the looks of things.

We will definitely bring in a defender this summer.

And what if they get injured again in the run in??
Jacks got the shitfest playing for Scotland coming up aswell.
Jack should be unavailable for those round of games no matter what! His injury needs nursed and even if he wants to play at the euros then rest during the break would be the best option for him.

Johnson is one that I'd leave, he will almost be 29 by the time he joins and isn't good enough to warrant a spot in our squad imo.

Davies being a left footed CB is a massive plus, I do think we would need to offload Katic and Edmundson to make it work though. Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Davies would be a brilliant list of options.

Even if Jack and Arfield were fit all the time, we would still need more options in midfield. This is something I consider a priority even in this window, it would get players bedded in for UCL qualification.
From my way of thinking we are short in midfield right now and have been on a few occasions this season. Winning the league can’t be compromised by that and I would say looking at it financially IF there’s a deal for a player who can come in and be better than what we have then we must go for it. I think the issue is if there is a player or not to have this January because I don’t believe the board won’t back the gaffer

This Ben Davies of PNE story is interesting because there is a glaring reason for doubting his CD suitability . He is 185cm which is 6’ and way smaller than what we believe to be the required height . https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ben-davies/profil/spieler/257097
That would say he’s seen as a LB option I would think

Wrt midfield I’m another who has a little unease about our current squad seems we in general want to play with three conventional MF players and right now we have Davis Kamara Jack Arfield and Zungu . I’m discounting Aribo as we have seen that while he can play there there is a gap in the robustness and defensive awareness that could be an issue , and in discounting the young players too because there’s nothing to suggest SG is reliant on them .
Further to that I would say there is evidence that SG doesn’t yet believe on BZ , Jack has had injury issues which while thankfully he is back for the next game someone has to look at the probabilities of him resilient enough to be relied upon . Arfield seems to be end of the month or so before he is back and overall he has had periods out but at least isn’t running with a known exposure like RJ.

When we then return to SGs demand of wanting two players per role we have I would say an obvious shortage plus some sort of risk factor .

Based upon this I would be happier for the club to close out this with a signing and like Strider says. One who has a rangers future and who will be primed for playing right now . Of course I do not know the financials nor who may be available but it would be in my aims for this window - and the sooner the better too as they would prob have to isolate for two weeks.

When will Arfield be back EB ? Maybe 4 weeks from now ?

And will Jack stay fit, or need protected ?

Do we want to say save 400k and put the big prize at risk ?

Not for me. I’d like another energetic / quality midfielder.
Wouldn’t be against getting a precontract target in in January instead. I can see Jack and Davis rotating in and out of games. Keeps them both fresh

This Ben Davies of PNE story is interesting because there is a glaring reason for doubting his CD suitability . He is 185cm which is 6’ and way smaller than what we believe to be the required height . https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ben-davies/profil/spieler/257097
That would say he’s seen as a LB option I would think

Wrt midfield I’m another who has a little unease about our current squad seems we in general want to play with three conventional MF players and right now we have Davis Kamara Jack Arfield and Zungu . I’m discounting Aribo as we have seen that while he can play there there is a gap in the robustness and defensive awareness that could be an issue , and in discounting the young players too because there’s nothing to suggest SG is reliant on them .
Further to that I would say there is evidence that SG doesn’t yet believe on BZ , Jack has had injury issues which while thankfully he is back for the next game someone has to look at the probabilities of him resilient enough to be relied upon . Arfield seems to be end of the month or so before he is back and overall he has had periods out but at least isn’t running with a known exposure like RJ.

When we then return to SGs demand of wanting two players per role we have I would say an obvious shortage plus some sort of risk factor .

Based upon this I would be happier for the club to close out this with a signing and like Strider says. One who has a Rangers future and who will be primed for playing right now . Of course I do not know the financials nor who may be available but it would be in my aims for this window - and the sooner the better too as they would prob have to isolate for two weeks.

Yeah, I guess that's why we never signed Cannavaro :))

I think the priority has to be getting a good Ryan Kent alternative through the door we don't have one at the moment hopefully we get interest in Jones, Stewart and possibly Barker to free wages for the new signing I understand the current complications may limit us though

I think the priority has to be getting a good Ryan Kent alternative through the door we don't have one at the moment hopefully we get interest in Jones, Stewart and possibly Barker to free wages for the new signing I understand the current complications may limit us though
Isn't that what Wright is for? Whether you think he's good enough or not, he plays that position and the recruitment team must rate him.

Isn't that what Wright is for? Whether you think he's good enough or not, he plays that position and the recruitment team must rate him.
That probably is the case I would like somebody with a bit more pedigree personally but I understand that Wright is a value option in tough financial times

The Board have been brave in their investment and transfer dealings.

Given how close we are to a title, I can't see them baulking now if the manager wants to bring in a player - within reason, of course.

I would like to bolster the midfield also. A burst of freshness for the remainder of this campaign with an eye on next season.

A win against Antwerp could cover the cost.
A win against Antwerp will help cover the losses expected for this season we won't be signing anyone for a transfer fee in this window.

If anything it will be a loan to buy type of deal like we saw with Hagi but that will be it unless we sell 1 of our key players which we aren't going to do.

A win against Antwerp will help cover the losses expected for this season we won't be signing anyone for a transfer fee in this window.

If anything it will be a loan to buy type of deal like we saw with Hagi but that will be it unless we sell 1 of our key players which we aren't going to do.
Good point actually Wilson likes these loan to buy type deals wonder if clubs are willing to do such deals in the current climate

I’m referring to the pre-contract additions. Instead of waiting until the Summer, it wouldn’t be a surprise if we make the deal now.

The investors would cover this if they believe it helps in getting the title.

Good point actually Wilson likes these loan to buy type deals wonder if clubs are willing to do such deals in the current climate
Yeah he does and we know the club is being impacted by COVID so I think that's the route we may take. I can then maybe see us waiving the fee for McCrorie so we can get Wright in this window but as I say I don't think we are in any position to be offering a transfer fee for anyone.

Yeah he does and we know the club is being impacted by COVID so I think that's the route we may take. I can then maybe see us waiving the fee for McCrorie so we can get Wright in this window but as I say I don't think we are in any position to be offering a transfer fee for anyone.
100% COVID isnt ideal in any scenario think taking up the club 1872 6 month money straight into the club legacy share offer is a positive step that could help us though

We will pay a fee this window if Wright arrives.
We’ve agreed a fee of £350k for McCrorie for the summer, there’s no chance at all of us waiving that fee.

I suppose If anything we will knock £50k off it to take Wright now and give them a loan of a player.

With a little over 5 month on his deal, I wouldn’t be giving more than £50k for Wright.
I think the difference in prize money between 3rd and 4th is about £250k, we’d maybe need to get closer to that figure before Aberdeen would do a deal.

I imagine Dundee bitterly regret selling us Kamara for such a low fee.

We’ve agreed a fee of £350k for McCrorie for the summer, there’s no chance at all of us waiving that fee.

I suppose If anything we will knock £50k off it to take Wright now and give them a loan of a player.
Depends, they’d be due more money if we got him on a pre-contract as they will be due training comp.

Now I’m not sure how much that would be, but I’d imagine it’s 6 figures.

I think the difference in prize money between 3rd and 4th is about £250k, we’d maybe need to get closer to that figure before Aberdeen would do a deal.

I imagine Dundee bitterly regret selling us Kamara for such a low fee.

Don't think they had much of a choice, He would have came to us for nothing a few months later and they were in dire need of money.

Don't think they had much of a choice, He would have came to us for nothing a few months later and they were in dire need of money.
They got relegated which would have cost them a lot more money. Obviously a gamble to knock back cash in January and no guarantee Kamara would have saved them.

I'm just having a look at central midfielders whose contract is expiring in the summer, Mark Noble is 33 but could probably do a decent shift in the SPL for a season or two, I wonder if Gerrard is friendly with him. He hasn't had an injury since 2017 so good from that perspective.

I'm just having a look at central midfielders whose contract is expiring in the summer, Mark Noble is 33 but could probably do a decent shift in the SPL for a season or two, I wonder if Gerrard is friendly with him. He hasn't had an injury since 2017 so good from that perspective.

Noble is a really lazy shout mate, he probably wouldn't make our bench most weeks.

If Bentaleb is actually available on a free, we should at least enquire. Wages will probably be too expensive but don't ask don't get

On Lundstrom. The athletic reported he was looking for 40k a week. I'm not really sure how accurate that will be, but the athletic is a bit different from the normals rags that report fees.
If he signed on a free I could see us paying close to that including bonuses

If he signed on a free I could see us paying close to that including bonuses
It would be a lot of money on probably a 4 year deal. 8-8.5 million over the 4 years, but if he could be the added quality in midfield, that difference in us making the champions league group stages. I doubt many would feel it is too much.

2/3 good years, he'd be 28/29 and you could realistically see him still going for atleast 5/6 million, which would see us break even with his wages.

One free agent who would be a beast is Mijo Caktas of Dynamo Zagreb.

Guy is a monster in the Attacking midfield role who scores and assists from everywhere.

What a player he is.
He does look class yes but I have to concede I haven’t seen him in real matches only clips .

He will be 29 years old by summer but also no transfer fee .

I’m referring to the pre-contract additions. Instead of waiting until the Summer, it wouldn’t be a surprise if we make the deal now.

The investors would cover this if they believe it helps in getting the title.
I might be wrong here but only time we have done that with pre-contracts was with Kamara since Gerrard has been here. Jones stayed at Killie for example because we weren't prepared to pay what they wanted for him at the time. Any other move has been a loan like Davis, Defoe and Hagi.

If it was that easy then he would be in the door by now. Sheep will be due a development fee for him as well no idea how long he's been there but guessing it will come close to what fee is agreed with McCrorie. Either the fee will be waived for McCrorie or a loan player but for example I don't see Stewart going back there.

Florian Balogun, highly rated youngster at Arsenal is now available on a pre contract. Looks very quick, strong and good finisher for only 20. Also scored 2 goals in the Europa league this season. Can see him going for a fortune in a few years.

Florian Balogun, highly rated youngster at Arsenal is now available on a pre contract. Looks very quick, strong and good finisher for only 20. Also scored 2 goals in the Europa league this season. Can see him going for a fortune in a few years.
Is he not off to Liverpool?

Is he not off to Liverpool?
Not yet anyway. The Guardian saying as many as 15 clubs are after him, here and abroad. There’s another youth called Kido Taylor-Hart who’s attracting even more attention and is also out of contract in summer.

Back