Livingston boss David Martindale could face 'fit and proper person' test over criminal past

He's been at Livi for ages so why is this just rearing its head now? The guy has done his time and deserves to get on with his life.

The timing stinks, but it's right he should face a fit and proper person test. If, as seems the case, he's fully rehabilitated and turned his life around, then good luck to him and I hope the authorities accept that. Given his past though, it would make a mockery of even having F&P criteria if he was simply waved through.
Absolutely 100% correct

I can’t for the life of me think why this wasn’t an issue when he was assistant manager and is only now a problem.

Surely if the SFA don’t seem a person fit and proper then they can’t have any sort of job at a club? Or is it only certain jobs they get their knickers in a twist over?

I think its shocking that it is even being reviewed considering the current and ex players who are allowed to play despite having a criminal conviction.

Questions need asked as to why no charges are being dished our to the tims whilst they waste time on this garbage

The timing is no coincidence and I hope it back fires and galvanised Livingston

Guy has paid for it. Turned his life around shouldn’t even be questioned imo.
No? Guy sentenced to 6 and a half years for dealing Class A drugs. Now working with youths.

No questions, no?

Good luck to the guy and I hope he gets cleared but he's lucky to be in the job, never mind people complaining because he has to answer a few questions.

No? Guy sentenced to 6 and a half years for dealing Class A drugs. Now working with youths.

No questions, no?

Good luck to the guy and I hope he gets cleared but he's lucky to be in the job, never mind people complaining because he has to answer a few questions.
Is he still in that life? No. Questions answered.

Surely he’d have had to get tested when he became involved in football?

His past isnt exactly a secret, why’s it taken this long? Bit of a joke tbh, the SFA are a disgrace

100% correct.

The timing of this absolutely stinks.

Heard him on the radio on Sat. Pretty sure he said it would probably be rescheduled again as he would be preparing for the Celtc game.

A guy from a presumably difficult background makes some bad mistakes and turns to drug dealing.

He was convicted. He served his sentence. He has rehabilitated which is the purpose of the justice system as much as punishment.

His debt to society has been paid. Let him be.

Last edited:
Current players at Motherwell, Dundee and the scum with criminal convictions and no mention of checking their fit & proper status. Maybe Martindale needs to register as a player and use that little loophole.
Guy’s been at Livi for years and seems to have turned his life round, can they say the same about those players?

That’s the ultimate irony of it all, Declan Gallagher is lauded by the press/SFA etc despite thinking he was one of the baseball furies and skelping a guy on the head with a baseball bat

I don’t know much about martindale, nor do I really care, but the inconsistencies in how the SFA deal with stuff is appalling

4 years in jail! Bet not many people with a criminal record like that get a decent job like this. Pretty mental, actually
No it's not. I know who a guy who done 14 and now makes a very honest living making decent money and he's never turned to crime again.

If you do the time and show that you've changed your ways, then you deserve a second chance imo. Unless you're a rapist or a beast.

Already common knowledge this was happening, was it not?

Pretty unsavoury past, but he's done his time. Don't know what message they'd be sending out by banning him. He's been their assistant for ages anyway.
What's his past?

Just hope that he doubles the dose of whatever drugs he's supplying the Livi squad with tonight, they're on a great run, hopefully it continues!

All the best to him, made a few poor choices in the past and has worked hard to get where he is now

The hearing was announced a few weeks ago. It was originally scheduled for a few weeks back but was postponed and changed to today

Was this fixture scheduled at the point of postponement - genuinely asking by the way not making up mad theories without any information.

This from an organisation who deem neil lennon to be a fit and proper person.

Priceless just priceless.
Threatening woman with knives is allowed if your the puddle drinkers manager tho! Whats martindales charges do u know? I'm going to guess its nowhere near as bad as some of the stuff that rhat lennons done and I dont remember his f+p test! he defo passes the *** test tho :))

Martingale should have joined in the game and asked for a postponement to a non-matchday.

Fcuk ‘em.

How about that, impeccable timing when they're playing separate entity Covid unUnited

What happened to Lenny's rant about the ref after the OF , Lenny's meltdown, the Dubai pictures , the eddie elbow, but to name a few items that should be discussed!

Corruption personified!

Threatening woman with knives is allowed if your the puddle drinkers manager tho! Whats martindales charges do u know? I'm going to guess its nowhere near as bad as some of the stuff that rhat lennons done and I dont remember his f+p test! he defo passes the *** test tho :))
Did four years for drugs and money laundering offences!

For me the strangest thing about this is that he has been involved with Livingston in some sort of capacity since 2014 and has had various assistant and interim management roles since 2016. That's 7 years he has been involved in Scottish football at an elite level. Something doesn't sit right.

Did four years for drugs and money laundering offences!
Should get a job a Uefa or Fifa, they’ll find him a job that is fit and proper, as long as he doesn’t have an allergy to brown envelopes, or the Russian Olympic team. None of which have as dubious a past as their opponents tonight!!

For me the strangest thing about this is that he has been involved with Livingston in some sort of capacity since 2014 and has had various assistant and interim management roles since 2016. That's 7 years he has been involved in Scottish football at an elite level. Something doesn't sit right.
No questions asked if you work your way up to assistant manager but manager is theoretically out of the question. Crazy.

Over and above his misogynistic tendancies , street brawling , trackside altercations and general repulsive nature he's also found time to verbally slaughter , referees , other member clubs, ex players , pundits and government officials.

This aside I'm sure he meets the very stringent requirements the sfa demand of the "fit and proper person" criteria.

Why should anyone that's been punished by the law and served their time be banned from participating in football as a player, coach or manager?

I understand why it should affect corporate roles, but in a purely footballing capacity I think this is grossly inappropriate.

This puts me in mind of all the SCUM! that leaked information from HMRC back in the dark days, this is similar, it’ll be another SCUM in a Court releasing details, direct to the Scumdome.

How can someone who needs a fit and proper discussion have been allowed to fill in prior to the fit and proper discussion taking place?

Seems a bit pointless.

Back