Sergio Ramos - where does he rank?

Ross_

Official Ticketer
Was reading an article there about Ramos and Madrid being in a stalemate over his new contract and it got me thinking.

he has won everything there is to win - World Cup / European Championship / Champions League / la Liga etc and nearly 200 caps for Spain

where does he rank for you in the "greatest ever defenders"

I know there will be some who think he's a bit of a @rse but for me he is one of greatest I have seen in my life time (37) him Puyol / Baresi and Maldini

what say those of FF? how good is he?

How many times has he been sent off must be into the 20s.
Messi made him look very avaragebut a great defender and scored the odd goal.

Definitely one of the best defenders ever. Can defend and can score goals.
He is disliked because he will do literally anything to win a game of football.
Doesn't matter to him if it's cheating or dirty as long as it gains an advantage.
He would take a bullet for Madrid.
I'd hate to play against him but I'd also love to play alongside him.

Horrible dirty bastard.

Exactly the type of win at all costs leader every team wants on the pitch.
Best Spanish defender ever, up there with the Europe’s ever produced. His discipline can be questioned but no argument about his contribution to the biggest moments in Real or Spain’s football history.

How many times has he been sent off must be into the 20s.
Messi made him look very avaragebut a great defender and scored the odd goal.
26 i believe

its also ridiculous as a CB he is in Spain's all time top 10 Goal scorers (I know laterally he has hit penalties) 23 goals.

he's also scored 105 goals across his carer - 1 in 7 another ludicrous stat.

Was reading an article there about Ramos and Madrid being in a stalemate over his new contract and it got me thinking.

he has won everything there is to win - World Cup / European Championship / Champions League / la Liga etc and nearly 200 caps for Spain

where does he rank for you in the "greatest ever defenders"

I know there will be some who think he's a bit of a @rse but for me he is one of greatest I have seen in my life time (37) him Puyol / Baresi and Maldini

what say those of FF? how good is he?
Never won a Carling cup winners medal like Roger Johnson so he don't cut it for me :))

Think he's cost his team too much with his poor discipline to be considered one of the best.

Tbh watching in 08/09 Puyol made him look a bit average.

Still, he's better than Pique.

Definitely one of the best defenders ever. Can defend and can score goals.
He is disliked because he will do literally anything to win a game of football.
Doesn't matter to him if it's cheating or dirty as long as it gains an advantage.
He would take a bullet for Madrid.
I'd hate to play against him but I'd also love to play alongside him.
He will never be regarded as one of the best because there is such a perception that he is a bastard... but I think he is outstanding.

He has won everything there is to win with his club and country, and been a significant player in doing it all.

He is a big game player - so often scoring the first goal, or an equaliser to get his team back on track.
And he is an utter bastard who would kick his own granny if it meant winning the ball.
Hopefully time is kind to him.

He will never be regarded as one of the best because there is such a perception that he is a bastard... but I think he is outstanding.

He has won everything there is to win with his club and country, and been a significant player in doing it all.

He is a big game player - so often scoring the first goal, or an equaliser to get his team back on track.
And he is an utter bastard who would kick his own granny if it meant winning the ball.
Hopefully time is kind to him.

Yep I pretty much share that opinion - he is the sort of guy you would worship if in your team but if he was in another team you would despise due to his sheer will to do literally anything to win.

26 i believe

its also ridiculous as a CB he is in Spain's all time top 10 Goal scorers (I know laterally he has hit penalties) 23 goals.

he's also scored 105 goals across his carer - 1 in 7 another ludicrous stat.
Yet, he has played 178 times for Spain and never been sent off once. Which I find quite bizarre in itself!!

Personally, I love the guy. He's got every attribute you need to be a World class centre half and has proved it for well over a decade now.

He's definitely got his name in the hat for being the best CH of all time. Just depends what you like.

Definitely one of the best ever for me, where he ranks within that best ever list is down to opinion.

For me the term 'Winner' gets thrown about a lot these days, but Ramos is a winner in every sense of the word.

I was thinking about this the other day. In my opinion, he's the best CB of all-time. Has won everything at club and international level. An absolute born winner. People will maybe mention his discipline issues but he plays on the edge and so that can be expected. It's why we all love Morelos like we do. In Ramos' case, the cons are easily outweighed by what he brings to the team.

These type of questions usually have the 25-35 year-old hipsters singing the praises of your Beckenbauers, Yashins, Di Stefanos etc. Cracking patter.

Horrible dirty bastard.

Exactly the type of win at all costs leader every team wants on the pitch.
Best Spanish defender ever, up there with the Europe’s ever produced. His discipline can be questioned but no argument about his contribution to the biggest moments in Real or Spain’s football history.
Yep, what he said.

Not a big fan of Real Madrid but the combination of Ramos and Pepe was the ultimate in dirty bastard shithousery!

Reactions: VGM
Back