Celtic finances

There are countless reasons we could turn the tables financially and while qualifying for the CL is a big part of it, it’s not the only variable.

- Rangers have business interruption insurance. Celtic don’t.
- Their fans are openly talking about not renewing their season tickets already. That won’t happen for Rangers. Rangers could bump the price after this year many would sign up blindly.
- They have a number of key components leaving or running their contracts down. They will all need replaced and they might not recoup the funds they hoped for when they sell.
- They have a number of court cases looming.
- I would suspect they had a bumper year on merchandise last year with Adidas. Not sure losing ‘the ten’ will see another repeat of that.
- They are going to have to sack Lennon eventually and pay him to go. He’s clearly hanging about for severance pay.
- Any new manager may require a compensation payment to their current club depending on who they target.
- We have a winnable tie in Europe so could conceivably take yet more money this year having already raked in more than them.
- And finally if we qualify for the CL via the champions path we can pour rocket fuel on our financial position.

On the plus side for their finance bods, they won’t have to pay out any league bonuses or additional ten in a row bonuses so every cloud...
Agree with every word except "Blindly"
Severance pay =

There are countless reasons we could turn the tables financially and while qualifying for the CL is a big part of it, it’s not the only variable.

- Rangers have business interruption insurance. Celtic don’t.
- Their fans are openly talking about not renewing their season tickets already. That won’t happen for Rangers. Rangers could bump the price after this year many would sign up blindly.
- They have a number of key components leaving or running their contracts down. They will all need replaced and they might not recoup the funds they hoped for when they sell.
- They have a number of court cases looming.
- I would suspect they had a bumper year on merchandise last year with Adidas. Not sure losing ‘the ten’ will see another repeat of that.
- They are going to have to sack Lennon eventually and pay him to go. He’s clearly hanging about for severance pay.
- Any new manager may require a compensation payment to their current club depending on who they target.
- We have a winnable tie in Europe so could conceivably take yet more money this year having already raked in more than them.
- And finally if we qualify for the CL via the champions path we can pour rocket fuel on our financial position.

On the plus side for their finance bods, they won’t have to pay out any league bonuses or additional ten in a row bonuses so every cloud...
Their stadium badly needs work on it. IMO the biscuit tin mentality has never left them.

Finance Guru: Rangers in line to become richest Scot club amid Desmond reveal – Exclusive​

By
Adam Williams speaking to Kieran Maguire
-
21st January 2021 at 4:00pm

Dermot Desmond and Celtic shareholders have given Rangers a helping hand to soon become Scotland’s richest club.

So says finance wiz and new Football Insider columnist Kieran Maguire, speaking after a week of PR gaffes from the Hoops hierarchy.
A widely criticised trip to Dubai and subsequent press conference meltdown from manager Neil Lennon came amid Rangers extending their yawning lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Celtic’s nine-year spell of dominance is collapsing, and so too is their financial advantage over Rangers.

Maguire believes that the Parkhead moneymen’s decision not to invest in the club during their footballing supremacy may have opened the window of opportunity just wide enough for Rangers to slip through.

He told Football Insider: “If the owner had put a little bit of money into the club, and he hasn’t put any money into the club for a long time now, Celtic could potentially have stretched the financial gap over their rivals to make it very, very difficult for Rangers to come back.

“They didn’t do that and now Gerrard’s side are clearly competitive and going to win the Scottish Premiership this year.
“I was on a radio show in 2018 and I said that Rangers just need one big season to eliminate the financial gap between themselves and Celtic.
“If Rangers win the Premiership and qualify for the group stages of the Champions League, that would not only be eliminated but I think Rangers could potentially overtake Celtic in terms of their ability to generate revenue.

“Although Europe is absolutely essential to that.”

Celtic’s revenue fell by 15.8% to £70.2million over the last financial year — a pre-tax profit of £100,000.
Rangers, by contrast, enjoyed an 11% upturn in revenue to £59m, although they posted a £15.9m loss.
The Light Blues are accelerating away from Celtic atop the Scottish Premiership, with the gap between the clubs now at 20 points.
In Europe, they have far outstripped their Glasgow rivals too, advancing to the first knockout round after Celtic finished bottom of their group.

Aye, very good, but just how astute and in-the-know is this guy, not to even mention the court cases that will most probably result in significant pay-outs by the mentally challengeds.

Didn't need a Finance Guru to state what everyone has been saying for years.

Celtic had the opportunity to put themselves light years ahead of us for some time and have failed to take it.

If the compo outweighs the value of the champs league revenue potential...who knows. There’s no way an admin event would see them with anything other than a points deduction imho. The powers would say the game has to learn from the mistakes of sending Rangers down to the 3rd. Rhats
Say the compo is enough to bankrupt them,would they take the route of liquidation and demotion to bottom league (personally,i'd like them thrown out altogether) and tell creditors and victims,their claims were against old co and not the new co?.

They are skint, barring any major player sales in the next 9 days they are facing a £30M loss this season.

They don't have a pot to piss in, that's why Lennon is still the manager.
I think it'll be more than £30m. They only just broke even with the sale of Tierney for £25m and they've had next to no revenue from Europe due to their bad performances. Take in no fans and other revenue they generated at the piggery and that's a lot of money they'll be down from last season.

Edit - forgot to add the victims compensation cases due to the paedophile ring they aided and abetted.....allegedly. That's going to run into the millions as well.

They are skint, barring any major player sales in the next 9 days they are facing a £30M loss this season.

They don't have a pot to piss in, that's why Lennon is still the manager.
Spot-on. Celtc nickel & dimed last summer (again). They can't reverse that till next summer under a new manager; keeping TLB on a 1yr rolling is simply bleeding them dry.

Once the court cases start and the truth starts to emerge of the scale of Celtics involvement in a massive paedophile ring being sent to league 2 would be like winning the lottery to them. I honestly believe when the whole truth is known Celtic will cease to exist and the scene of so much pain and suffering will be sold off and raised to the ground.

No doubt Dermot will come over and spend their money while they think it is him who has stumped up the cash for them.

I remember walking back from the Killie game at Ibrox as our imminent banishing was on the cards. I was alone that day and some of their lot were driving past and hanging out their car window screaming at me yer gonna die death to the huns etc in rabid glee.
They thought we were gone for ever. How they underestimated the loyalty of all the Gers fans.
Their supremos thought the same...

So where have all the millions gone,wasn't so long ago they were on about 100 mil in the bank,sponsorship deals,high valued players, talk is cheap as so are the people running this despicable organisation from top to bottom.
They had 10 years to put Rangers to bed but never had the intelligence to.put it together.
Greedy,arrogant, bigoted, single minded filthy club who deserves everything that comes to them ,they forgot it is a game of football we played but they were to interested on running Rangers into the ground and10ir and it has bitten them on the arse big time.
They all forget what they done to Rangers and that we would not go away,they had a free hand, but ask yourself how many league titles would they have won if we had still been around ,guaranteed it wouldn't be near 8.3/4 they stole so to hell with them and i hope they never recover.
WATP

Once the court cases start and the truth starts to emerge of the scale of Celtics involvement in a massive paedophile ring being sent to league 2 would be like winning the lottery to them. I honestly believe when the whole truth is known Celtic will cease to exist and the scene of so much pain and suffering will be sold off and raised to the ground.
I would love that to happen to them

So where have all the millions gone,wasn't so long ago they were on about 100 mil in the bank,sponsorship deals,high valued players, talk is cheap as so are the people running this despicable organisation from top to bottom.
They had 10 years to put Rangers to bed but never had the intelligence to.put it together.
Greedy,arrogant, bigoted, single minded filthy club who deserves everything that comes to them ,they forgot it is a game of football we played but they were to interested on running Rangers into the ground and10ir and it has bitten them on the arse big time.
They all forget what they done to Rangers and that we would not go away,they had a free hand, but ask yourself how many league titles would they have won if we had still been around ,guaranteed it wouldn't be near 8.3/4 they stole so to hell with them and i hope they never recover.
WATP

Celtc have never been a club founded for the love of football. Its all been about needless bigotry, division and bitterness from day one. They've never changed. Even when they win, they still fight amongst themselves.

18M in the bank at June 2020. That’s gone. A 13M line of credit was opened in the same month.

No CL money, no EL earnings. No player sales, no match day hospitality. No signings in January, not hard to see why.

Celtic have the biggest cost base in the league by an absolute fucking mile, they’ll be making monumental eye watering losses each month. When Lawwell said they had been the most affected by the pandemic, this is what he meant. If their fans don’t renew in May, they have significant problems.

A perfect storm has wiped out a 10 year financial advantage.

If Gerrard can win a two legged tie to get us into the CL, it will be the greatest turnaround on and off the field any of us will have seen.

so income down due to;

covid impact on crowds
Season ticket drop as we will win this season
Less bonus from sponsors?
no interruption insurance?
Euro failure
Lack of big sale summer 20, winter 21
Main assets all down to 12 month in summer 21 and reduce in value
At least 6/7 first team players needed
New management team to either pay compo or big bucks to entice
Old management team to pay off

lot of cash

re the court case, how likely is it they’ll need to pay out?

Do not forget their stadium is in a bit of a rundown state.
Not sure if the co-op loan was paid either.

I suspect their owner might have been swimming during the pandemic and the tide has went out and everyone can see he was always swimming without any trunks on.

I keep seeing rumour and comment online about admin looming for them, after years of made up admin 2 noise it’s ironic to now see them now come under that spotlight themselves. Though I do wonder if there is something to this!. Is it a ploy to deal with what they believe will be significant payouts come the 21 court cases coming their way in June? I think they could be trying to think of a legal way out of compensation payouts ahead of that date now that their season is over and 10 is gone, the 10 would have been a good way to drown out adverse noise but could also be a way to stop the detailed stories seeing the light of day too. It maybe far fetched but I wouldn’t put anything past those around the Lieswell board table.

Nothing more than wishful thinking.Dermot Desmond is a billionaire and Celtic's biggest shareholder, he is not going to stand idly by and see them fall into Admin, not in a million years.

And whilst DD has not put any money Celtic's way in each of yhe last 3 seasons it is not as thought Celtic haven't spent much, their tranfers purchases amount to nearly £40m in from Summer 2019, not an inconsiderable dollop of cash.

Last edited:
How much is Desmond worth? I assume his business endeavours, regardless of how shady they are will be struggling.

Can’t imagine he’ll have much spare capital to pump into this failing business.

We get anything like the draws they've had in recent CL qualifiers and Gerrard will take us through no probs imo.
And then we're away and they are fcuked.

Nothing more than wishful thinking. Desmond Dermot is a billionaire and Celtic's biggest shareholder, he is not going to stand idly by and see them fall into Admin, not in a million years.

And whilst DD has not put any money Celtic's way in each of yhe last 3 seasons it is not as thought Celtic haven't spent much, their tranfers purchases amount to nearly £40m in from Summer 2019, not an inconsiderable dollop of cash.
What type of billionaire is he? is he these types?

Say the compo is enough to bankrupt them,would they take the route of liquidation and demotion to bottom league (personally,i'd like them thrown out altogether) and tell creditors and victims,their claims were against old co and not the new co?.
Assuming they have to pay compensation in the first place. That's far from certain.

Guy I know has been complaining because Leon Osman said on Sky News that Stevie Gee had Rangers well on top and set up to dominate for years.

I'll have to pass him this link to send him over the top.

Septics revenue for this season will be under ours already they are 10/12 million less wait to the unwashed get wind that there's not puuureee millions in the kitty !

So much nonsense about how much the abuse will cost them. Even at £100k per victim, there will be less than 150 victims, so £15m max.
It'll be more of a reputational damage, though it'll be glossed over up here.
True, maybe, financially but as reputational damage goes, well, is there anything worse to have been found guilty of?
The paedophile club? The Jimmy Savile of football? Open and known to all the world?
Anyone with an ounce of decency would be distancing themselves from such filth at a speed approaching light speed.

Good luck attracting up and coming players with that baggage.

What
They were way ahead of us financially and in footballing terms and they had one of the top British managers. They replaced him with a guy who had failed at Hibs and Bolton. In the meantime Gerrard has continued to improve and may become a top manager In the EPL, hopefully after a few more years success at Ibrox.
what about bates hotel is that still on the go ?

Peter Lawwell said years ago that Covid FC needed to be in the Champions League group stages 3 seasons out of 5. This was long before they had operating expenses of £80m.

They made a profit last financial year of £100k, despite selling Tierney for £25m. Cash in the bank fell by approx £10m despite Lawwell claiming they were paid in full in one go.

Several big money transfers in with no sales and very little in the way of prize money in the Europa League will leave them in a very perilous position without any sales happening in the next 10 days
or so. I'd fully expect any outgoing players to be for greatly reduced fees as there won't be many transfers at the levels we have been accustomed to recently.

We are all aware of court cases that, should the victim of historic CSA finally get some the sort of justice they deserve, are likely to cost them millions.

Remedial work needs to be done on their cesspit which will run to a tidy sum.

The last few seasons have been difficult and a struggle for Rangers. We couldn't have picked a better time to restart winning the title given the perfect storm hitting them.

Peter Lawwell said years ago that Covid FC needed to be in the Champions League group stages 3 seasons out of 5. This was long before they had operating expenses of £80m.

They made a profit last financial year of £100k, despite selling Tierney for £25m. Cash in the bank fell by approx £10m despite Lawwell claiming they were paid in full in one go.

Several big money transfers in with no sales and very little in the way of prize money in the Europa League will leave them in a very perilous position without any sales happening in the next 10 days
or so. I'd fully expect any outgoing players to be for greatly reduced fees as there won't be many transfers at the levels we have been accustomed to recently.

We are all aware of court cases that, should the victim of historic CSA finally get some the sort of justice they deserve, are likely to cost them millions.

Remedial work needs to be done on their cesspit which will run to a tidy sum.

The last few seasons have been difficult and a struggle for Rangers. We couldn't have picked a better time to restart winning the title given the perfect storm hitting them.

Hampden bound!

Back