Chick Young suggests the "perfect fit" to replace Lennon

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Who says Chick is clueless? :rolleyes:

Pundit Chick Young has claimed Celtic should have appointed John Hughes as manager before he was snapped up by Ross County.

Current boss Neil Lennon is under pressure after a run of poor results, with suggestions that the likes of Eddie Howe could replace him.

But Young feels Peter Lawwell and the board should have looked a lot closer to home for the ideal man to take the club forward.

He insisted on BBC Radio Scotland : "If we take Neil out of the equation for a moment the one man who would have been salvation for Celtic I think was staring them in the face.

"And the work he's doing at Ross County has proven that. " John Hughes, where Celtic are at the moment, would have been an absolutely perfect fit."

Hearts striker Steven Naismith was a guest on the programme and seemed rather baffled by the suggestion. He responded: "If I'm honest I don't think the fans would have been happy with that.
"I just think on the back of Brendan Rodgers, the success they've had, the signings they've made... that's what Celtic have seen.

"They've enjoyed the football, winning the trophies, arguably not in Europe but that's where they've been.
"For me if they're moving on the manager they need to move back to that level.

"That's what's going to appease the fans.

"If you then go to a manager who has mainly managed in Scotland and been out of work for a while, I think they wouldn't have been happy."

As much as I think Hughes is a very underrated manager, that would have been financial suicide.

They wouldn’t have been able to give season tickets away:))

Young is now a parody of a parody.
So, you're saying they should have? B-D

Opinion pieces like that are why Chick Young is an irrelevance when it comes to offering thoughts on Scottish football.

If Celtic has appointed John Hughes, the Let’s Laugh at the poets Laughometer would have blown up.

Who says Chick is clueless? :rolleyes:

Pundit Chick Young has claimed Celtic should have appointed John Hughes as manager before he was snapped up by Ross County.

Current boss Neil Lennon is under pressure after a run of poor results, with suggestions that the likes of Eddie Howe could replace him.

But Young feels Peter Lawwell and the board should have looked a lot closer to home for the ideal man to take the club forward.

He insisted on BBC Radio Scotland : "If we take Neil out of the equation for a moment the one man who would have been salvation for Celtic I think was staring them in the face.

"And the work he's doing at Ross County has proven that. " John Hughes, where Celtic are at the moment, would have been an absolutely perfect fit."

Hearts striker Steven Naismith was a guest on the programme and seemed rather baffled by the suggestion. He responded: "If I'm honest I don't think the fans would have been happy with that.
"I just think on the back of Brendan Rodgers, the success they've had, the signings they've made... that's what Celtic have seen.

"They've enjoyed the football, winning the trophies, arguably not in Europe but that's where they've been.
"For me if they're moving on the manager they need to move back to that level.

"That's what's going to appease the fans.

"If you then go to a manager who has mainly managed in Scotland and been out of work for a while, I think they wouldn't have been happy."
That Walter Smith interview, big AK47 should've nutted him.

Chick Young; showing that he is still relevant, on the ball and able to cast his mind wide across the world of sport with that suggestion.

To be fair, I'm surprised he didn't suggest Jim Jefferies. Or Tommy Burns.

We probably shouldn’t be criticising Young here.

Would be a great appointment.

For us.

Has anyone ever heard the likes of Chick Young, Richard Gordon, Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove etc say anything interesting about the actual game of football?

You know, not the soap opera bullshit or trying to be funny but actual insightful analysis of the sport they’re paid handsomely by a national broadcaster to pass comment on.

It’s an absolute nonsense that they continue to get away with it.

I enjoyed the article on the Ross County site from Hughes, spoke brilliantly about Rangers and Gerrard.

Bit of a cliche on here, but he is one of the 'better ones' out there.

Chick never said that out loud, did he ?
Some people just can't be embarrassed, Chick is in a totally different kind of bubble.
Although, wouldn't it be great if c****c did ask him for input in to "the search ". :D

I'm surprised that he went for a manager like Hughes, I thought it would be Brendan O'Bigot or the like that would be the perfect fit!

Hughes is a reasonable manager and a decent guy, but he hasn’t achieved anything in his career that makes him deserving of a big job.

I rate Hughes but anyone seriously suggesting as a supposedly knowledgeable football pundit that Celtic should have hired a guy sacked by Raith Rovers in his last job has lost the plot :D

Would put us right back in banners and barriers at Parkhead territory if that had happened, they’d have been seething.

Has anyone ever heard the likes of Chick Young, Richard Gordon, Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove etc say anything interesting about the actual game of football?

You know, not the soap opera bullshit or trying to be funny but actual insightful analysis of the sport they’re paid handsomely by a national broadcaster to pass comment on.

It’s an absolute nonsense that they continue to get away with it.
never heard anything interesting from any of them but I have to say not listening to any of them might have something to do with it.

Yogi is a good man manager and good tactics, but I dont think work at a big club. County etc are good jobs for him overachieving every season

Yes I’m sure that lot would have been delighted with the appointment of a manager who prior to a couple of weeks ago last managed Raith Rovers 4 years ago.

No harm to the guy as seems a genuine bloke but absolutely no chance he would even be considered.

They could get Hughes no matter if he’s went to Ross county or not. If they really wanted him, which I doubt, he would come running down and drop everything at county.

Hughes would not have been the worst candidate.
Going against the grain, but I agree. It wouldn't be the worst appointment. Hughes seems to be a good communicator. I have no idea how good it would be. You can never tell for sure.

It would obviously go down like a lead balloon with the Rhabids.

What Naismith says about the fans not accepting it is absolutely true and it would be the biggest wtf appointment in history.

But.....Hughes would do a good job with better players like that. He'd certainly improve them tactically as opposed to the "play where you want and bring on Griff with twenty minutes to go" tactics they currently have.

When the day comes, and Stevie heads off to Liverpool you just know Chick will be telling us we need Billy Davies.

Naismith came across well, listened to the podcast.
Yeh but he should do his job as an ex-Rangers and talk up the likes of Mowbray, Jack Ross etc. as their next manager not suggesting they go for a high-profile guy.

Its not really any better or worse than most of the names which have been mentioned before, ross, stubbs, lambo, howe, larsson even moyes wheres he these days absolutely love the way hes bluffed millions out of football with very little talent, credit to the guy.

Thought ChIck had chucked it didnt know he was still working(cough) is one way to make sure he gets the big interview pre match and gets a free pint from the fans of the smaller diddy clubs that seldom get a mention.

Back