Helander

Between Fil and Balogun, the two play at such a high level that I actually can't tell the difference to figure out who's better. They're both that good.

I think both of their individual performances for us are always quite impressive and there's not much between them in that regard. The noticeable difference for me is the performance levels of the players around him when Helander plays. We just seem more comfortable, aggressive and assured as a unit.

Helander for me is the better of the two and should be 1st choice with Goldson.

Took his goal really well today and I dont think Balogun would have scored it.

He should be first choice. Not necessarily based on his own individual performances, both him and Balogun are neck n neck in that regard, but it’s Helanders wider, calming influence on other players in the back line that sets him apart.

I find it strange when Helander plays Goldson seems to have a quiet game, as if opposition target him and Helander laps it up. The two are a great partnership as well.

Superb to see him score that header.

Love the big guy. He always looks so assured. Positioning and reading of the game is second to none. Just seems to love defending. Balogun has looked good this season but looks quite prone to an error and seems to rely on his pace to bail him out. Goldson is a different animal this season and looks undroppable so its good to have two very different options for who plays beside him.

Before someone mentions 'pace', his positioning is a different level. Doesn't get dragged into silly areas that he shouldn't be in.

I also think Barisic plays better with him in the team.
I will throw in another buzz word - “Dykes”.

For me the team looks better when he plays. The back 4 defend so comfortably with him in it and we seem to defend higher up the pitch.

In my opinion he should still be our first choice going forward.

It's great to have the options we do, but I agree and think we look that wee bit more assured when Helander is in there.

Dont think 1 sld defo start over the other, i like what gerrard does, if its going to be a physical came, hellander. If its going to be a game against a wee fast striker balogun.

What a wonderful position to be in, to have the choice between Helander and Balogun. This is the reason why we have had so many clean sheets.

For me the team looks better when he plays. The back 4 defend so comfortably with him in it and we seem to defend higher up the pitch.

Yet Balogun gets selected because he has pace?
Also, I guess you don’t mean ahead of Goldson.

I dont know where Katic fits in if the 3 current centre halfs remain.
Edumunson who is now not Rangers class needs to go this season.

A bit harsh IMO, if Edmundson is willing to play a bit part from the bench then he's more than welcome to stay.

The simple fact that our 4th choice centre back is a better defender than one of their 1st choices is why we are so far infront right now.

If the worst scenario happens and Goldson doesn't sign a new deal and we sell in the summer. Then the idea of Helander and Balogun together intrigues me. The positioning and calming influence of Helander and the pace of Balogun would be quite the partnership.

All that said I still hope Goldson signs a new deal for 56.

Before someone mentions 'pace', his positioning is a different level. Doesn't get dragged into silly areas that he shouldn't be in.

Agreed. The big man rarely needs pace because his reading of the game is so good that he's hardly ever out of position, or needing to run back.

I really like Balogun but for me the whole backline just looks that bit more assured with Helander in it.

cant choose between him and Balogun but I reckon Borna plays better with Helander in the team

I don't think there is too much between them but i think Helander edges it for me. We look more relaxed and balanced when he plays. Seems (as noted above) to influence Barisic too and helps his composure in games.

Either way, it's been a long time since we had such strength and depth at the back (not even allowing for youngsters Katic and Edmundson).

If pushed, Helander would get my vote though.

Agreed. I think Borna always plays better next to Fil.

I'm a big fan of Balogun, but I think Fil is the better all round defender. I also don't think he's as slow as some claim!

Helander is solid and definitely my first choice centre back. I'll add that Goldson has been class this season as well but Helander is that wee level above.

Ps Balogun isnt that bad either ;)

Helander for me , we look more solid with him at the back... if he was quick he wouldn’t be at us ..

I know it's weird to say for a centre halfs performance, but he simply outclassed them today. His reading of the play, strength and all-round presence was like watching professionals versus juniors at times. Shaw can be tricky as well.

Balogun has done very well all things considered, but there are levels. Fil is a cut above. I think there's more to his omission than we know, perhaps related to the virus. It's hit some players really hard but thankfully we've had the luxury of a very able deputy.

Im happy with either of them, Helander has the better positional sense, Balogen is a bit quicker at times.

Helander and Balogun are both excellent central defenders, but Goldson is clearly our best and first choice central defender.

Helander and Balogun are both excellent central defenders, but Goldson is clearly our best and first choice central defender.
The way I look at it is

Best defender = Fil
Most important = Goldson

They compliment each other so well, outstanding from our recruitment team to think that our 3 main centre halves cost the same as Julien.

I’m not the manager but I would always have Helander in over Balogun. Even more so when Jack is around - better shape, better balance, solid unit.

Balogun has done well, really solid I just prefer Helander and think our defence is more organised and better disciplined.

I wonder if it’s because he can concentrate more on attacking than having to maybe “bail” Leon out if he gets into bother

I don't lose any sleep whichever one gets picked to partner Goldson.

It's certainly not true to say one is miles better than the other. 2 excellent centre backs and a great problem to have.

Back