Gerrard/Lampard

Tommy48

Just watched BBC Brekky sports report and Pep was asked about Lampard's sacking. His reply was basically it is alright having a project but you have to keep winning. This comment made me realise just lucky we are to have the board we have who despite not winning anything in 2 years have backed our boss to the hilt. When 55 arrives a big thank you to all the board and friends of Rangers who have had a part to play.

Lampard got the job too early. One decent but not amazing season in the Championship and then straight into a top 6 side with a history of being trigger happy under the current owner. Anything less than instant success was going to lead to the sack.

Spent an absolute fortune but then again Werner was banging them in in Germany and looks like he can’t hit a barn door in England.

Oh, and Kepa lmao

• Haha
Reactions: fmp
Lampard got the job too early. One decent but not amazing season in the Championship and then straight into a top 6 side with a history of being trigger happy under the current owner. Anything less than instant success was going to lead to the sack.
That’s not even enough to keep you in that job.

I had an argument last season with someone on here who wanted Gerrard out and Bilic in!

Often wonder what would've happened if the season played out as intended because it probably helped Gerrard keep his job.

Our fans were becoming disgruntled and the team looked devoid of confidence, partly because we were losing games we should have won and secondly, I felt that Gerrard publicly slating the team meant the dressing room were not pulling in the same direction.

This season, we've been excellent on all fronts and Celtic have completely collapsed.

Lampard should've got to the end of the season at Chelsea, he has earned that right as one of the Clubs all-time greats.

Unfortunately, Abramovic doesn't do patience when it comes to football managers and the rest, as they say, is history.

I totally disagree with your first paragraph. There were some murmurs and questions were being asked after the exit to Hears in the Scottish but any calls for his head were from a tiny minority.

Agreed. I don't doubt there was section of the support who wanted a change but there was no huge calls for his head or anything of the sort from the majority.

As much as love the manager, his comments post Tynecastle didn't help either. I genuinely thought he was going to chuck it after that game. I think everything came to the boil that night and he was thoroughly pissed off.

Had they listened to the fans Gerrard would have been sacked this time last year despite clear progress being made each season

The Lampard situation is different though, he spent a lot of money on some extremely talented young players only to play them out of position in a side that concedes goals for fun

Not sure I agree re Gerrard this time last year. Yes he was getting stick after form going off a cliff post Dubai, but I still think that the majority of the support understood the bigger picture and recognised that we were making positive progress overall. So I think the majority were still behind him. I appreciate that some of the threads on here at the time were very negative but that’s what happens on here occasionally and I don’t think that reflected the broader opinion.

As for Lampard, I agree that he didn’t really seem to get the best out of the talent at his disposal and it wasn’t clear what his strategy was, seemed very random. But still, it shows a distinct lack of patience by Ambramovich for a young manager. Not remotely surprising given his track record, so Lampard will not be surprised I’m sure. He knew what he was getting into.

When you look at the coaches and managers that Frank was up against it was a bit of a miracle the job he was doing.I think it was incredible that he was sacked Klopp,Mourinho,Ancelotti,Pep Guardiola to name but a few all experienced winning coaches he was more or less a rookie and was hard done by.

Just watched BBC Brekky sports report and Pep was asked about Lampard's sacking. His reply was basically it is alright having a project but you have to keep winning. This comment made me realise just lucky we are to have the board we have who despite not winning anything in 2 years have backed our boss to the hilt. When 55 arrives a big thank you to all the board and friends of Rangers who have had a part to play.

Gerrard’s fantastic run in Europe helped the decision to keep him in charge. We’ve over achieved every year in the europa league under his watch whilst being very poor domestically (up until this season)

All in all, it’s a great progressive 3yrs with him at the helm.

I think the board were always going to give Gerrard the four years he initially signed up for no matter what the supporters felt.

Gerrard is obviously switched on. Not to denigrate our great club, but he must've looked and thought, this is a good place to learn. Massive club, with pressure, but in a tinpot league, and one rival. That rival had more money, but not outer limits. Say he took a bottom of prem job, say Sheff Utd. No way in hell you're competing with Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd. He's chosen well. Where Lampard has had a set back, Stevie G marches on, learning here and in Europe. Smart man, and legend in waiting.

There was no way the Board would've sacked him,not half way through the progress we were making under him and I think when we beat them at their ground for the first time in a long while, I knew we were well on the way back and it may have peaked expectations too early.

Now that Harry Reknapp has suggested Lampard could be tempted for the rhats job(could be papertalk)
If it happened would it be good for Scottish football?
Would this give Gerrard more incentive to be determined to win everything?

Gerrard would make mincemeat form him.

Lampard has shown nothing to suggest he's even near Gerrards level

Would make it more appealing down south, would make the league a little box office.

Would fancy our set up against theirs right now. They are about to try an implement what we’ve been doing over the last 3 years...

Frank has been used by The Chelsea board due to them fùćking up on the FFP and having a transfer ban. They knew no one would want to come to them unless heavily connected to the club. Frank was their patsy. Now they are in a stronger position, thanks to Frank, they have dumped him for another fashionable name but no connection to the club. They are just a big toy for Roman, no real love of the club just the prestige of owning one.

Good for the media to hype up.
Maybe increase the profile of the game a bit more worldwide.

Reality, they haven't the funds to compete let alone attract Frank, young manager like him going there would be a step back, they have no ambition and will be rebuilding for the foreseeable.

I doubt it - there is no physical way to manage Celtic without becoming an out and out hate filled piece of shit that uses dirty tactics to get their team ahead. Like using the SFA and SPFL to gain favours. To bully referees. To bully smaller teams. Appease their absolutely vile fans.

None of that is going to change if Frank joins them. It would probably ruin him. An experience manager will move on - Lampard would probably wreck his career moving to Celtic. Especially since the mighty Rangers are back and will be dominating completely soon.

I sincerely hope he just laughs at the very idea of managing Celtic and dismisses it right off.

The only plus point I could see has been mentioned already - the interest in Scottish football down south might increase. People of England might also get a right good strong feeling of the bad side of Celtic. You know, covering up child abuse, supporting terrorists (who attacked England for years), using the death of former players to get games cancelled etc. The list goes on.

When lampard got offered the Chelsea job I said he's probably more experienced and a better manager at the time than Gerrard

Now? Lampards good but it's clear Gerrard has surpassed him, he'd wipe the floor with lampard.

I think it will happen though, lampard will see the SPL as shite and an easy way to rejuvenate his career in similar fashion to Gerrard. Then he will come and get caught out at how hard it actually is and not be able to handle the pressure of losing 1 game and having everyone against you and get sacked.

It's amazing to think half of this forum wanted Gerrard sacked this time last year. Glad I always stuck by him. @Jjbscotty not to call you out you're just the only name I remember but I'd love to hear your thoughts now!

Now that Harry Reknapp has suggested Lampard could be tempted for the rhats job(could be papertalk)
If it happened would it be good for Scottish football?
Would this give Gerrard more incentive to be determined to win everything?
He would be daft they are in serious decline no money and a team full of sh*te.
whoever comes in will need to be able to work miracles.

Gerrard has got enough incentive to keep winning titles as manager of Rangers. He doesn't need Lampard or anyone else to give him incentive. Anyway going by his wife's background I'd hope he wouldn't give them a second thought

Reactions: TQ3
@mrandrewdickson: Lots of chat among the work lads today about whether Lampard could end up at Celtic, as per the bookies' odds. I interviewed him in 2008 and he explicitly said then he was a Rangers fan. Three months later he cheered them on at the UEFA Cup final. I simply don't see it happening.

Reactions: TQ3
I'm not sure it would go down well with his wife's family if he took the job :oops:

Would they risk giving it to Lampard bearing in mind next seasons league winners get straight into CL group stages and therefore guaranteed £30m plus?

I think the premise of it would be box office, but Lampard and Gerrard are mates the potential for 'needle' being hyped up by the media would disappear after the first few press conferences.

52887361_2256695437695835_4373955060288192512_n.jpg

I don't think Lampard would even give the Yahoos a 2nd thought. It ain't happening.

They're getting Alex Neil, O'Neill/Keane, Jack Ross or some obscure European like Deila.

Reality is going to smack these chimps flush on the face soon enough.

They have completely blown their opportunity to end us and will now have to suffer the consequences.

I don't think he'd give them a second thought especially with the position they are in after this season but if he does it would probably give the league a bit of extra exposure.

Would probably end up being constantly overhyped and not actually gain any extra viewers or TV money

Back