Rangers icon McCoist urges Lampard not to take Celtic job as he reveals sons got pics taken with him at Uefa Cup final

BlueMeanie

ALLY McCoist has urged Frank Lampard NOT to consider moving to Celtic.
The former Chelsea gaffer has shot straight to the top of the next manager lists at Parkhead following his sacking from Stamford Bridge - with Neil Lennon appearing unlikely to retain the job long-term.

Frank Lampard is on the look-out for his next opening

His uncle, Harry Redknapp, said today that the idea of continuing his career in Glasgow was likely to hold some appeal - particularly if he is afforded the time to turn things around that his former England midfield team-mate Steven Gerrard has at Rangers.
Even the Ibrox legend reckons it wouldn't be the shock of the season if they ended up there.
And he feels it would further heighten the profile of the Scottish Premiership if he was to do so.
But speaking on talkSPORT, he urged the pair NOT to consider a move to Glasgow.
Ally McCoist has urged Lampard not to join Celtic

And revealed that his sons got their picture taken with him at the time of the 2008 Uefa Cup final in Manchester.
Asked if he 'would like to see him going to Celtic', McCoist said: "No!
"I know they hang on every word I say but 'Frank, Jodie, don't do it guys'.
"Get yourselves to the continent for a couple of years boys and enjoy it.
"I know the boys hang on every word I say so I know they will be listening to me.
Frank Lampard with his son, Frank Snr, in Manchester
Frank Lampard with his son, Frank Snr, in Manchester
"The boys will be saying: 'Ally says we have to go to France or Germany or something like that'."
Asked to comment after a fan claimed Lampard was a RANGERS fan, McCoist said: "I didn't know that although my sons have photos with Frank taken at the Uefa Cup final in Manchester.
"They said he was absolutely fantastic, because there was a queue about the length of the M62 to Liverpool wanting to get their pictures taken with Frank and he took his time to have a picture taken with them all."

McCoist concedes it would be great for the profile of the Scottish game if Lampard was lured north.
"It would be absolutely unbelievable.
"Steven is absolutely flying up here just now but he has been given a couple of years and maybe a few quid to bring one or two players in that he has maybe wanted.
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has been given time at Ibrox
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has been given time at Ibrox
"I don't think it is a major surprise or a shock that we are now seeing the benefit of a Rangers side that Steven and his staff have been allowed to build.
"But it would be amazing. Imagine having Frank at Celtic and Steven at Rangers?
"Take that aside, I'm obviously joking because I am a Rangers man, but it would be great for Scottish football - it really would.
"Steven coming up certainly kept things alive and put things on the map. It was a great boost for Rangers - and Scottish football.
"Someone like Frank coming up would be the same. Brendan did an unbelievable job - I don't care what anybody said, fantastic job at Celtic - and so did Martin O'Neill for example. Another top class manager on both sides of the border.
"In terms of keeping it high profile, it would be fantastic .... but don't do it!"

McCoist still reckons it is more likely that he continues his managerial career in a BIGGER league.
"I think he'd want to expand his managerial career in a bigger league, to be honest with you.
"A bigger league, there's a big difference between saying a backstep and a bigger league.
"I don't think anyone could deny that the top flight in England is the biggest league, and probably the best league, in the world.
"I might be wrong because, listen, massive football club and Celtic have had some great managers.

"So it wouldn't be the shock of the season, I just don't think so.
"I might be wrong, I'm looking at Frank and he'll obviously regroup, he'll be disappointed with what's happened.
"Some managers with a lot of experience quite enjoy a break out and a well-earned rest.
"I'm not sure Frank, in his youth in terms of being a manager, would want that.
"So it will be interesting to see but I wouldn't rule out a move to the continent."

I would be very surprised if Lampard even considered the Mhanky mob, given his alleged leanings towards us.

He could get another EPL job no bother once the dust has settled after his sacking.

Getting sacked by Chelsea isn’t necessarily damaging to a manager’s reputation given how trigger happy Abramovich is.

Last edited:
The mhank job is not going to be very appealing these days. Second best in Scotland, court cases ahoy, haemorrhaging money and the role is essentially head coach. On a hiding to nothing and with Rangers operating well at the moment it is going to be a big job to turn it around.

I like Lampard and it’s often been said he’s a fan so taking the job across the city would be a shame because he’d instantly become someone we felt obliged to dislike, but at the same time I wouldn’t be particularly worried if he got it.

I’m not actually sure he has the same ability and attributes Gerrard has. He did reasonably well with Derby but hasn’t been a great success at Chelsea.

Having to completely overhaul the Yahoos and hit the ground running against a Rangers manager who is now fully in his stride and with a core of players that know each other inside out will not be an easy task no matter how much money they want to throw at him.

More than likely it’ll take him a season or two to find his feet and we’ve seen how quick the Great Unwashed are to throw sharks at it when they don’t get instant success.

Instead Lampard should consider waiting for a smaller EPL or top Championship job to rebuild his reputation.

Frank Lampard with his son, Frank Snr,

WTF_b08ea.gif

The guy has only just been punted by the club he loves, and to stick the boot in further he’s being linked with the scum! I doubt he’s even considering another job right now.

Granted, I’ve not watched a great deal of Chelsea during Lampards time there but I didn’t think he looked very tactically astute when I did watch them. Fwiw Gerrard would see him away up here and Lampard knows he would be at least a season or two behind trying to get the filth knocked into shape.
More chance the Martian will take the job, Barcelona are in a right state on and off the pitch.

I’m not sure if he’s that good a manager, his record with Derby was identical to that of the previous manager, and although he done well with Chelsea last year with no money, he has been found out when the expectations have risen. I wish him well for the future,but I’m guessing that will be somewhere like West Ham or Fulham, not with the mentally challengeds.

I don't think he will sign but if he does it just shows they had absolutely no plan in place and are trying to copy us.

His management record is hardly impressive, he led Derby from 6th in the Championship to.. 6th in the Championship, which was enough to get him the Chelsea job where they went from a 3rd placed finish to a 4th placed finish. Obviously there were circumstances with Chelsea signings but he hasn’t shown continual improvement on the level of Gerrard anywhere yet. So I would be confident if he did come in.

Would it go down well with the hordes?

Pretty well known he has a liking for Rangers & they’ve never had a manager in recent history like that.

I would be very surprised if Lampard even considered the Mhanky mob, given his alleged leanings towards us.

He could get another EPL job no bother once the dust has settled after his sacking.

Getting sacked by Chelsea isn’t necessarily damaging to a manager’s reputation given his trigger happy Abramovich is.

Isnt his wife that lovely northern Irish girl from TV too ?

Pretty sure he will not jump to this job. He is a multi millionaire so the reason would not be financial. The team mentioned are away to lose their league title so he would not want the stress of this as well as his name linked to this loss.

It’s one thing for Harry Redknapp to bounce between Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth, coming up here is a different kettle of fish. He’d never be accepted by the orcs due to making his feelings towards us known and attending the cup final and being pictured in Rangers tops etc.

The other thing he wouldn’t get is time. They need someone to hit the ground running next season with no Dubai(ity). Poor start next season = immediate pressure and further timplosion. Complete rebuilding job next season and no money to do it.

Getting sacked by Chelsea isn’t necessarily damaging to a manager’s reputation given his trigger happy Abramovich is.
He wouldn't get the 3 years Gerrard got either.
The tramps wouldn't put up with it.
Especially not from a bear.

It would raise the profile of the game in Scotland but nothing else. It would be an absolute horrific move for Lampard to make. He'd be forever tarred with being with them. There is nothing good can come of that.

I think Frank Lampard would struggle to attain the sufficient levels of cun.t required for the Celtic managerial position.

Lampard taking the job would be a career ender for him.I have the belief that Harry would advise him to stay well clear.

If he decides to manage again his next club will be career defining , if he goes to them it’s career ending

From Chelsea to the sporting wing of the ira, and haters of all things British including banning British soldiers in uniform from their ground, plus a history of paedophiles with CSA and cover ups at that club.
I couldn't think of any reason to go there.

Brother Frank wouldnt be welcome at the shark tank. Lodge no 3098. Private detectives would be out and about as soon as he had a bad spell.

I can’t see it happening but tbh it would be a calculated risk for Celtic and he’d be a lure for players they were interested in

Lampard should be looking to get a job at a Everton/Aston Villa/Newcastle type team as he’ll get some money to spend but expectations aren’t as high

The guy has only just been punted by the club he loves, and to stick the boot in further he’s being linked with the scum! I doubt he’s even considering another job right now.
It’s typical lazy journalism.

Rangers have a famed English midfielder cutting his teeth in management so Celtic must want one too.

I’d be delighted if that’s the Yahoos’ entire recruitment strategy.

Mourinho, pochettino, benitez and now lampard. Levels of delusion that are off the scale. Imagine the disappointment when some dick like jack Ross or Paul Lambert is unveiled :))

I suspect that Frank doesn't fit the main criteria when it comes to them hiring a new manager.

He's not "Celtc minded" enough for them.

Back