Memories of Ronald de Boer

Struggled at first and I thought he was a huge waste of money, might have been down to injury though.

Turned into a top class player for us, especially in 02/03. His relationship with Barry Ferguson was up there with the best that year.

Was it Dynamo Moscow players that said he was "past it" before we played them in the UEFA Cup back in '01?

Pretty sure he came out the traps at Ibrox and made them look like a pub team almost single handedly.

That being said it sometimes felt like he was playing as if he had a few gears he could go up. Total class act nonetheless and one of my favourite ever.

performance versus Hearts away in a title run in.Cannot remember the year.
Shota missed a pen,De Boer was magnificent though and gers think got a late goal,through De Boer or maybe Mc Cann

The goal v killie at Ibrox was piss take material

Playing amazing on a sandpit in Dundee v United

Goals v timmy.

Class act and quite a nice fellow off the park too.

Jimmy Calderwood was asked what he thought about deBoer signing and was gutted that it was Ronald, not Franck, because it was 'common knowledge in Holland that Ronald's knee is f*cked.'

As it happened Ronald was only really fit for one season at Ibrox, but what a season and what a contribution.

I loved that puzzled expression that he would have when he made a rare error - "How could I, Ronald de Boer, have done such a thing?"

Easily one of the best footballers ever to wear the Blue shirt.

Watched an interview with Schneider and he said growing up it was DeBoer he modelled his game on.
Even when you see the both of them run, they have the same swagger haha.

Up until then I never thought I’d ever see a running swagger the way DeBoer done it

I remember shortly after he signed, he came over to take a corner at the BF1 corner of the ground and got a standing ovation, just for being Ronald De Boer the Rangers player. I recall he looked a wee bit taken aback!
2002/03 he was genuinely unreal

De boer flashed in a diving header,chaos behind the goals
was in the home end in line with 6 yard box and was chaos in home end as bears jumping everywhere and hearts fans looking for them.
lad next to me said don't worry son we will probably miss the pen,I hope not was my reply but we did...
Did he then run right along the stand after scoring?

was in the home end in line with 6 yard box and was chaos in home end as bears jumping everywhere and hearts fans looking for them.
lad next to me said don't worry son we will probably miss the pen,I hope not was my reply but we did...
Did he then run right along the stand after scoring?
Don’t know where he ran? I was behind the goals,great scenes when that goal went in

Where are we ranking the bold Ronald in terms of contribution and performances for the Gers?

I loved him and thought he was an outstanding player.He was almost unplayable during the treble winning 2002/03 campaign when he managed to stay fit the whole season.

Some great goals against the tims too.

A classy b@stard.

I got a high five from him that day he ran past the crowd at parkhead after he scored :cool:

Arrogant but had the talent to justify it.
Fine line between confidence and arrogance. He had the ability to have both, and he knew it.

I remember, not long after he signed, the crowd getting on his back because he didn't run after a ball that was about 30 yards away. He knew he had no chance of getting it and the look on his face as he glanced at the crowd giving it "wtf" was priceless.

He was one the best foreigners to have graced Scottish football. An absolute genius of a player who was often let down by others not being on his wavelength.

His relationship with Barry Ferguson in 2002-3 was sensational.

I always remember the story (and don’t if it was true or not) that on one of his first nights in Glasgow after signing, RDB went to Corinthians for dinner. He didn’t know what he wanted so just ordered everything from the menu!!

Sounds a bit BS but with his arrogance you never know. Good story all the same!

Can only dream of the days we can attract such a player these days. Two steps ahead of anyone on the pitch. Unplayable on his day. Oozed class. Can’t say much more than that.

Fine line between confidence and arrogance. He had the ability to have both, and he knew it.

I remember, not long after he signed, the crowd getting on his back because he didn't run after a ball that was about 30 yards away. He knew he had no chance of getting it and the look on his face as he glanced at the crowd giving it "wtf" was priceless.

He was one the best foreigners to have graced Scottish football. An absolute genius of a player who was often let down by others not being on his wavelength.

His relationship with Barry Ferguson in 2002-3 was sensational.

Aye, they both loved a few lagers and a kebab at the end of a night ... :))

RDB was absolute class, I loved the arrogance / confidence of the man. His facial expressions were World class alone.
Could have played in any team, anywhere. We had some unbelievable players back then.

Always thought he was a touch of class and seemed to stroll through games.

Remember a player saying his knees had gone by the time he joined but it didn’t make much difference as he had such awareness.

Back