Memories of Ronald de Boer

Fine line between confidence and arrogance. He had the ability to have both, and he knew it.

I remember, not long after he signed, the crowd getting on his back because he didn't run after a ball that was about 30 yards away. He knew he had no chance of getting it and the look on his face as he glanced at the crowd giving it "wtf" was priceless.

He was one the best foreigners to have graced Scottish football. An absolute genius of a player who was often let down by others not being on his wavelength.

His relationship with Barry Ferguson in 2002-3 was sensational.
I know exactly what you’re talking about, a long ball down the right in front of the East Enclosure, he didn’t go for it and some of the crowd let him know they thought he should have made the effort.
He gave them a look that said “Ronald de Boer doesn’t chase lost causes”.

For that one season he was probably the best player I hve seen in Scottish football. His thinking movement and positioning was head and shoulders above anyone else. unfortunately injury/ fitness robbed us of him being above "great player" in other seasons.

Thought his brother was pretty ordinary with us right enough.

I know exactly what you’re talking about, a long ball down the right in front of the East Enclosure, he didn’t go for it and some of the crowd let him know they thought he should have made the effort.
That's the very incident I was thinking of.

Nothing that hasn't already been said - played with one knee and nobody could live with him. His game intelligence was just ridiculous, in the way you realise just how many levels up the best actually are.

Quite proud that he's played for us.

Wonderfully skilled and intelligent footballer, and brilliant in the air which is not always the case in players more noted for the former.

I've told this story a few times. He spoke to McLeish about why the fans would get on his back when he knew the ball was going out and what was the point of wasting energy chasing it. McLeish said "You know it's going out and so do I but the average fan doesn't. So just kid on your running for it". Problem solved

Sublime and we got him when his legs were going, truly delightful to watch after a sticky start and always surprised with a few headed goals. Had everything, could play anywhere and play for any team but choose Rangers.

Obviously we got him a tad past his peak due to injury but in terms of the whole package he is right up there with the best players ever to play for us. He could have played for any top side - in multiple positions - and been outstanding. I'm not sure how many players you could say that about.

performance versus Hearts away in a title run in.Cannot remember the year.
Shota missed a pen,De Boer was magnificent though and gers think got a late goal,through De Boer or maybe Mc Cann
As I remember that was his best of many great games for us, outstanding player and one who would rise to the occasion

Sat till 3am last night watching Flo's debut game and the 5-1 mauling we gave them. RDB was cruising ,Barry running the show ,Numan outstanding ,Rayna unreal and had sort of forgot how good he was and big Amo had a running battle with the goat shagger and was probably best player on the pitch. superb day all round :))

Effortlessly brilliant. He really seemed to take to the club as well.

Both weren’t at their peak, but a great moment getting to see the De Boer brothers play for my club.

He was one of Ajax's main men in the teams that reached back to back champions league finals in the 90's. Penalty shoot out away from playing in final at france 98. Top top player right up there with Laudrup and Gazza.

The header at Parkhead in the 3-3 game. Amazing. The beauty of the Tim in the background jumping up and down as McCann swings it over is great. Only gutted the camera didn’t go back to the dick after we’d scored.

Apart from that he was class. Along with Ferguson 02/03 he was unstoppable.

Loved his self confidence, which he backed up with world class talent. I remember an interview after a game at Tannadice, pitch was a fkn disgrace, a sandpit. Ronald bossed the game, interviewer asked him how he was able to perform at such a level on a pitch that bad, the bold Ronald replied " yes this is normal" :)

Whenever I see his name I think of him and Ferguson in the second half of that 02/03 season. It felt like any time we were struggling a bit in a game one of them would lift us.

One of my favourite memories of De Boer was the second last game of the 02/03 season at Tynecastle. A real scrap in the first half, and at 0-0 in the second, Shota misses a penalty. That sinking feeling sets in, but not long after the bold De Boer hammers in a brilliant diving header in front of the bears.

I couldn’t believe how good he actually was. Very clever player too. Played quite a few positions. I remember thinking how strong he was, not the biggest either but would hold people off play a one two, get in box and score.

Him & Barry 02/03 were like the European football version (more intelligent/higher level) of Miller & Boyd.

They were telepathic, could always find each other & know where the other was going to be without looking.

It’s testament to just how good Barry was that he was one of the only players in our league of RDB wave length.

Imagine De Boer in the current Liverpool team, or even our team playing that false 9 role. He would be incredible.

His reaction to Stevie Thompson’s first day at training is also hilarious “we sign this guy?. He no football player”.

Last edited:
Him & Barry 02/03 were like the European football version (more intelligent/higher level) of Miller & Boyd.

They were telepathic, could always find each other & know where the other was going to be without looking.

It’s testament to just how good Barry was that he was one of the only players in our league of RDB wave length.

Imagine De Boer in the current Liverpool team, or even our team playing that false 9 role. He would be incredible.

His reaction to Stevie Thompson’s first day at training is also hilarious “we sign this guy?. He no football player”.
There was a game up at Tannadice and it was like they were playing a different sport. de Boer held the ball for ages in their box then cut it back into Fergies path and he rifled it in off the bar. Pure class.

There was a game up at Tannadice and it was like they were playing a different sport. de Boer held the ball for ages in their box then cut it back into Fergies path and he rifled it in off the bar. Pure class.
One of my favourite goals that one.

I was going to mention that goal in my post, I can imagine the away fans giving it

“why’s he no crossing the baw ffs!!!

“Ahhhhh, that’s why”.

Side note, look at the ball from Barry hahah what a ridiculous give-&-go.

Did he wear boots that were one size smaller as he felt it let him control the ball better?
I'm sure I read that about him

His first touches were incredible.

He was so mentally brilliant that his first touch varied based upon what he KNEW he was going to do with his next touch.

A brilliant football brain.
I think Hagi has the potential to be like him. De Boer lacked that yard of pace, but the brain more than made up for it.

Without doubt one of my favourite Rangers players. He had that ability to make things look easy and although we probably never got the best of him what we did get was enough to bring a smile to your face.

just a joy to watch

We are quite lucky we got RBD, he was on his way to sign for United until SAF told him he would only be a squad player at best.

Good thing Fergie couldn’t keep his mouth shut :))

Whenever I see his name I think of him and Ferguson in the second half of that 02/03 season. It felt like any time we were struggling a bit in a game one of them would lift us.

One of my favourite memories of De Boer was the second last game of the 02/03 season at Tynecastle. A real scrap in the first half, and at 0-0 in the second, Shota misses a penalty. That sinking feeling sets in, but not long after the bold De Boer hammers in a brilliant diving header in front of the bears.

Klos' save from De Vries was magnificent. He was every bit as good as De Boer and Ferguson that season.

The header at Parkhead in the 3-3 game. Amazing. The beauty of the Tim in the background jumping up and down as McCann swings it over is great. Only gutted the camera didn’t go back to the dick after we’d scored.

Apart from that he was class. Along with Ferguson 02/03 he was unstoppable.

This. Its one of my favourite ever Rangers goals, just sensational. I was watching the game in a pub in Dublin (don't ask) and came narrowly close to a kicking but couldn't help a wild celebration.

I still watch it pretty regularly - he hangs in the air for what feels like a lifetime! Absolutely sensational.

Loved him, I remember hoping for most of the time he was at Rangers that his brother would join him, and then he eventually did. I think we were only one of two clubs both brothers played for. Could be talking a load of BS as usual. :p

Back