Memories of Easter Road, Hibs 0 Rangers 2 in March 1996

dh1963

Not in the class of Colin Stein 1975 or Helicopter Sunday 2005.
A routine win on the run in to 8 in a row, with the goals being an o.g. and a penalty.
Andy Goram attacked by a fan, thugs in the home end are nothing new.

But the reason for posting this clip is to watch on in awe at the poetic genius of Mr Brian Laudrup. On a bumpy, bare pitch against defenders looking to kick him off the park, he just glided through this game. Almost 25 years ago, but a player who will still be a Rangers God in 250 years time.

The same result this midweek will do nicely.

Apologies for posting a Gerry McNee commentary!

Usual sh!te from Willie Young "misses" the swinging elbow in the first half and then when Leighton and then McGinlay shouting in Gascoigne's face at the penalty he decide to book Gascoigne as well as Leighton.
This SFA p!sh about book one from each side, 25 years later still the same.

Usual sh!te from Willie Young "misses" the swinging elbow in the first half and then when Leighton and then McGinlay shouting in Gascoigne's face at the penalty he decide to book Gascoigne as well as Leighton.
This SFA p!sh about book one from each side, 25 years later still the same.
Willie Young was on an utter mission that year. His decisions to let opposition players get away with anything they fancies, while booking Gascoigne for turning up were atrocious.

The Gascoigne booking for being brought down for a penalty was something else.

Willie Young was on an utter mission that year. His decisions to let opposition players get away with anything they fancies, while booking Gascoigne for turning up were atrocious.

The Gascoigne booking for being brought down for a penalty was something else.
Was surprised to see him outside the centre circle to be honest.

Thanks OP; the genius, the God-like genius, of Brian Laudrup. There should be a Laudrup sticky so that we could all enjoy that grace, elegance and dazzling brilliance whenever we wished. Appreciate the post but I do not see on there much sign of opponents trying to kick him off the park. Brian was a gentleman on and off the park and I think most of his opponents appreciated that - even the thuggish. Or maybe they just could not get near him!

I was at that game as an 8 year old. I was in the Hibs end in the main stand right in line with where Goram was attacked. Sad to say I can’t remember anything else about the game, memories of Laudrup and Gazza that day have faded

Gascoigne took a penalty the week before at Pittodrie and scored and would have taken this one. But after the way the Hibs players (Leighton in particular) riled Gazza up, Gough told Laudrup to take it in case Gazza wasn't in the right frame of mind

Good leadership and captaincy by King Richard

Yes. Signed that midweek for £1.6m from Aalborg.

That concluded the great striker chase that began with Raducioiu the previous summer and went through about six different targets we failed to get.
Surely Salenko was the alternative signing to Raducioiu?. Incidentally what a signing he would have been, however our chase if you could call it that for him was shambolic. I recall it dragged for weeks over the summer with him being unavailable because he was on holiday, or ditto his agent. In short he wasn't interested.

Surely Salenko was the alternative signing to Raducioiu?. Incidentally what a signing he would have been, however our chase if you could call it that for him was shambolic. I recall it dragged for weeks over the summer with him being unavailable because he was on holiday, or ditto his agent. In short he wasn't interested.

Salenko was signed as the alternative but it quickly became clear he was unsuited to the role we signed him for before swapping him six months later for van Vossen. For the majority of the 95/96 season we were still chasing a striker before we got Bo Andersen.

We went after Mikkel Beck, Karl Heinz Riedle, Jardel, Ulf Kirsten, some bloke called Caio from Inter Milan and also were trying to pin down Vialli on a Bosman for that summer.

Salenko was signed as the alternative but it quickly became clear he was unsuited to the role we signed him for before swapping him six months later for van Vossen. For the majority of the 95/96 season we were still chasing a striker before we got Bo Andersen.

We went after Mikkel Beck, Karl Heinz Riedle, Jardel, Ulf Kirsten, some bloke called Caio from Inter Milan and also were trying to pin down Vialli on a Bosman for that summer.
To illustrate my point regarding how haphazard our signing policy had become, we went from targeting Raduciuiou who was rapid to Salenko who let's be kind was ''one paced''. Out of your list K.H Riedle would have been a wonderful signing, and wholly suited to our game. In my honest opinion of course.

Raducioiu might be a classic case of bullet dodged. He had great quality but he signed for West Ham and missed a game on a Saturday afternoon to go shopping at Harvey Nicks with his wife

Could have been a fantastic player or expensive flop

Raducioiu might be a classic case of bullet dodged. He had great quality but he signed for West Ham and missed a game on a Saturday afternoon to go shopping at Harvey Nicks with his wife

Could have been a fantastic player or expensive flop
Ties in with my comment about him being on holiday whilst we were trying to cut a deal.

Trying to work out what the hell system we were playing there. 5-2-3?

Goram
Moore Petric Gough McLaren Robertson
McCall Gascoigne
Laudrup Andersen Van Vossen

?

Suppose when your midfielders are McCall and Gazza that's all the midfield you need!

Great days.

As pointed out,we should have been playing against 10 for most of that match,but my god what a player we had In Laudrup,the others weren’t too shabby either!!

Trying to work out what the hell system we were playing there. 5-2-3?

Goram
Moore Petric Gough McLaren Robertson
McCall Gascoigne
Laudrup Andersen Van Vossen

?

Suppose when your midfielders are McCall and Gazza that's all the midfield you need!

Great days.
Yeah the 5-2-3 was what we used 95-97 most of the time.
That said Laudrup generally just went where he wanted and did what he liked! :D

Reactions: TN8
This game was played on my 15th birthday and the night before the game my supporters club at the time(haddington and dunbar) had their annual party. We didnt think murray would bring a first team player due to the game the next day. Place erupted when gazza walked in wearing his rangers tracksuit and started knocking back the table wine!

Got a ticket the night before and went through with a mate on the train as a bold 17yo. First experience of Easter Rd and I recall it was such a venomous atmosphere throughout the game, not helped by the result and Goram being attacked.

Exiting the stadium at full-time and navigating the streets around Easter Rd involved dodging a few bottles and the police were doing nothing. Once we were walking back up towards Leith Walk past the supporter's buses, we realised we were alone and fearful of what might happen, so we tucked our scarfs away just in case and headed for the station.

Back