I told Aribo he could become legend by joining Rangers, says ex-Aberdeen and Kilmarnock star Magennis

BlueMeanie

JOSH MAGENNIS told Joe Aribo he could become a legend by joining Rangers.
Less than two years on, Northern Ireland striker and Gers fan Magennis is thrilled that his prediction is on the verge of being realised.
Joe Aribo thumps one home against Dundee United

Aribo and Gers are within touching distance of writing themselves into Ibrox folklore as the title winners who shattered Celtic’s ten in a row dream.
The Londoner was magnificent in Sunday’s 4-1 rout of Dundee United, lashing home a left-footed shot to add shine to an already impressive display.
It was the 24-year-old’s seventh goal of the season and second in two games, following his key role in the epic Europa League win over Royal Antwerp in Belgium.
Former Aberdeen, St Mirren and Kilmarnock man Magennis, who is currently starring with promotion-chasing League One side Hull City, has been wowed by Aribo’s progress under Gers boss Steven Gerrard.
Magennis told Aribo he's become Gers legend

Magennis was by Aribo’s side for the start of his professional career, playing with him when he made his league debut for Charlton against Peterborough in December 2016.
Magennis left The Valley in 2018, a year before Aribo had the opportunity to become part of Gerrard’s Ibrox revolution.
He told SunSport: “What Joe’s doing now is great to see, but no surprise at all.
“I knew he had everything to be a star for Rangers.
“I thought it was a wonderful opportunity for him to work for a football great such as Gerrard.

“I’d been away from Charlton for a year when I discovered Rangers were in for Joe.
“I told him it was a move he had to take, that he could go up to Scotland and become a legend by bringing the title back to Rangers. It’s not a case now of if that happens, but when.
“I’m so pleased for him that he’s close to being a title winner.
“I’ve also been a Rangers fan since I was a kid, so it’s even better for me to see Joe be a part of it all.
“Make no mistake, the Rangers supporters will never forget the players who helped to stop Celtic’s domination.
“From the first moment when I went to Charlton, it was easy to see Joe’s quality. How he looked after the ball in tight spaces, how he dealt with it.
Aribo celebrates with Ianis Hagi

“I think that was indicative of the football environment he was brought up in, playing in the Powerleague fives.
“Joe was used to being on the ball and not shy of a trick. He’s got amazing close control and has added goals to his game.
“Joe’s also filled out as he’s got wise to strengthening and conditioning. He’s a tall lad, too. When Joe’s in full flow heading up the park, he’s difficult to stop.
“You could tell, with the right guidance, he was going to be a top player.
“There’s no better guidance for an aspiring midfielder than from someone such as Steven Gerrard, considering how good he was.

“It’s fantastic to see and absolutely brilliant that Joe’s doing so well in Scotland.
“Going from England to up north, there were questions from people down here about why he would want to play in Scottish football.
“But Joe said he always believed in himself and what Rangers were trying to do. It’s all coming to fruition now.
“Barring a catastrophic event, Rangers are going to win the league. They are also doing well in Europe and Joe has progressed as a player.
“So what he set out to do up there is happening.
“I’m so happy for Joe that it’s all going great for him because it was a massive move for him going to Rangers.
“From my time at Aberdeen, St Mirren and Kilmarnock, I knew what the Scottish Premier League was like, that it was competitive and provided a great platform.
“There’s a lot more exposure now of the Scottish game and players up there are getting moves south regularly now.
“Of course, it’s especially good to get the chance to play at Ibrox and Celtic Park.
“I grew up a Rangers fan and from playing there I was well aware of the expectations at the club.

“You’re not just representing a club. It’s a five-star club and wherever you go in life you meet the fans.
“Rangers means everything to them and you are expected to uphold yourself to the highest order.
“At the time Joe had the chance to sign for Rangers, I just didn’t see it as being a bad move.
“You can’t underestimate how Joe has taken to playing for the club. There is so much pressure on a Rangers player and I think he has been a credit, on and off the park.
“He’s handled the criticism and praise, and not been carried away by success or too down with disappointments.
“Joe’s level-headed. He’s a great boy in the dressing room, good company, but he’s not cocky.

“He’s also got that necessary belief in himself when he goes on the pitch.
“There were times in the dressing room at Charlton that we would talk about Scottish football in general.
“Joe would ask me generally what it was like and if the football was that much different from England.
“Now he’s about to achieve something that’s going to be huge. I’m thrilled for him.”

'Aribo and Gers are within touching distance of writing themselves into Ibrox folklore as the title winners who shattered Celtic’s ten in a row dream'

No. No, they are not. Its for 55 after 10 years without a meaningful trophy. 3 years ago we had been skelped all over the place by Celtc in a couple of games that honestly felt like an aggregate of 40-0.

'Aribo and Gers are within touching distance of writing themselves into Ibrox folklore as the title winners who shattered Celtic’s ten in a row dream'

No. No, they are not. Its for 55 after 10 years without a meaningful trophy. 3 years ago we had been skelped all over the place by Celtc in a couple of games that honestly felt like an aggregate of 40-0.
Mate, it really gets my goat that it gets constantly mentioned about stopping ten in a row..
We set out to create our own history. Not to stop something fake.
To quote Bill Struth “We welcome the chase”.

Good lad is our Josh. A proud Ulsterman and Bear.
Where is he from mate never knew he was a Bear?
Just a shame his uncle is an absolute dickhead and a bully.

Mate, it really gets my goat that it gets constantly mentioned about stopping ten in a row..

It’s always been about stopping the 10, why do you think there’s been so much tension last few seasons?

Of course 55 is monumental but this season will rightly be remembered as the season we stopped the 10

It’s always been about stopping the 10, why do you think there’s been so much tension last few seasons?

Of course 55 is monumental but this season will rightly be remembered as the season we stopped the 10
Them winning 10 in a row never bothered me. Probably because 3 years ago there was no sign we would be stopping them any time soon so their run wouldn't stop there. All ive been bothered about is our next league title. We were singing about 55 several years ago.

Most refuse to acknowledge they won 9. Their 10 only matters because its fun to watch them cry after a decade singing about it and putting all their favourite mentally challenged pieces in place.

Them winning 10 in a row never bothered me. Probably because 3 years ago there was no sign we would be stopping them any time soon so their run wouldn't stop there. All ive been bothered about is our next league title. We were singing about 55 several years ago.

Most refuse to acknowledge they won 9. Their 10 only matters because its fun to watch them cry after a decade singing about it and putting all their favourite mentally challenged pieces in place.

Regardless how their 9 was gifted to them, if they’d won the league this season it would’ve been unbearable and they’d have rammed 10 down our throats

If we won 55 the season after, they’d be pissing themselves laughing and not caring because they won 10iar

People are in denial if they don’t accept this season was primarily about stopping 10

Regardless how their 9 was gifted to them, if they’d won the league this season it would’ve been unbearable and they’d have rammed 10 down our throats

If we won 55 the season after, they’d be pissing themselves laughing and not caring because they won 10iar

People are in denial if they don’t accept this season was primarily about stopping 10
Theyve had an unbeaten domestic season, set a new league points record and won 4 consecutive trebles. Weve been demoted to the 3rd division, almost never had a club to support, had our titles held to ransom, had a team full of international footballers lose at Ibrox to teams of plumbers and call centre workers who have to take a holiday just to play, had our club financially raped for years and we still arent clear of it, watched Celtc put 5 past us on multiple occasions, watched Murty doing a headstand and shit himself from players pointing out it wasnt good enough, had Caixinha sign Mexican alcoholics and go out of Europe to the 3rd best team in Luxembourg, finished 3rd in the SPL twice.

Why would them winning 10 or more in a row bother you all that much more than any of that? Anyone who celebrates 'stopping 10' instead of winning 55 is a fool.

I feel the same tbh mate, with the constant Keevins & Jackson bulls**t. 55 is such a momentous landmark, I think we'll all love it.

But c'mon, ... for a full decade thousands upon thousands of tramps thought they were just waiting for their ten to come.

It is the most extremely funny case ever of a team collapsing into chaos while their rivals (us) play like 11 Maradona's and are scalping all in sight, Europe or home.

You have to love their demise man.

Joe will only further improve himself under SG and our management team. He is already one of the best midfield players in Scotland and in my opinion will earn himself and the club future multi millions in transfer fees. He must be really hating himself for ignoring the wee twat Bowyers advice.

Why would them winning 10 or more in a row bother you all that much more than any of that? Anyone who celebrates 'stopping 10' instead of winning 55 is a fool.
Can't lie, I see where he's coming from

55 was always the goal, but it would've bothered me hugely seeing them getting their shitey, tainted 10, meaningless as it is. I always figured they would be utterly unbearable - worse than ever - if they got it.

That's without mentioning the shameless cheating and fraudulent activity they've used to try to reach it. It would've really felt like the bad guys winning.

But we've won 55 and stopped the 10, so that's me celebrating twice as much

Can't lie, I see where he's coming from

55 was always the goal, but it would've bothered me hugely seeing them getting their shitey, tainted 10, meaningless as it is. I always figured they would be utterly unbearable - worse than ever - if they got it.

That's without mentioning the shameless cheating and fraudulent activity they've used to try to reach it. It would've really felt like the bad guys winning.

But we've won 55 and stopped the 10, so that's me celebrating twice as much
Other than winding up them because it’s killing them not getting it, its never been a thing to me. Our 55 has always been the focus.

They would’ve been unbearable but all I was ever bothered about is the next time we would win the league. 10 was irrelevant to me because as I said in an earlier post there was no sign it was stopping there. 10 was their goal but it wasn’t looking like the finish line.

Some people just can't have Rangers without Celtic.

This season was primarily about stopping 10? Give me fuckin peace. It was and always has been about 55. Stopping 10 is an incidental bonus.

Yup, for just about everyone I go to the football with it’s about stopping 10

Boys that travel all over Scotland and in Europe. But yeah, we can’t live without Celtic apparently

Why does it have to be only about 55 for some?

I am not ashamed to say in the slightest, that us winning 55 this season has been made all the sweeter that it has royally fucked up their dream.

I see no problem with enjoying both things happening.

I think it's disingenuous to say it hasn't played a part.

I don't have any problem admitting it's an added bonus. We could clinch 55 at Parkhead to stop their tainted ten, and have a very realistic chance of procuring over 100 points and going undefeated in the league. That's a historic and legendary season that will also haunt the mentally challengeds for decades.

Never knew Magennis was one of us. It may have helped Joe come here and if it did ta.

I met him in Paisley once when he was with St. Mirren. Didn't keep it a secret that he's a bluenose, he just wasn't shouting it from the rooftops

Them winning 9.7 never really bothered me, it’s not as if they ran over the top of us for 9 years! We weren’t even in the same division for 4 of them ffs so who was Gona stop them?

When Pedro was here I wasn't bothered about 'the Ten'........i was worried about 13,14,15, as there was no light at the end of the tunnel,walking away from Ibrox thinking are we ever going to see another title win?...............step forward Steven Gerrard and suddenly we had a chance again,win the league for us and stop them.

People are kidding themselves on if stopping their 10 didn't matter,if you live in Glasgow or surrounding areas,have had to work and live with these insufferable bastards for these past 10 years,I don't mind admitting that I'm revelling in that we've smashed their 'Ten' to bits.

I had no idea Josh Magennis was a bluenose. Good to hear a player reveal their support for the club.

When Pedro was here I wasn't bothered about 'the Ten'........i was worried about 13,14,15, as there was no light at the end of the tunnel,walking away from Ibrox thinking are we ever going to see another title win?...............step forward Steven Gerrard and suddenly we had a chance again,win the league for us and stop them.

People are kidding themselves on if stopping their 10 didn't matter,if you live in Glasgow or surrounding areas,have had to work and live with these insufferable bastards for these past 10 years,I don't mind admitting that I'm revelling in that we've smashed their 'Ten' to bits.

I'm in Glasgow too mate, all of my life actually.

For me it was definitely 55, to prove that our great club were back.

To %^*& up their parochial wee ten is good, especially with their embarrassing reaction,
but it was never before what Rangers Football Club do, for me anyway.

We don't define ourselves through them, but they define themselves through us.

Any and all talk of 10 comes from the deluded cretins who frequent that polished turd over in the east end.

For Rangers and her support 55 was always the number uppermost in our minds as 56 will be next season. This has been the way since our inception and we will never let the simple minded dullards convince us otherwise.

Back