Woman called Mary Hill can't wait to watch Maryhill FC with other Mary Hills after lockdown

Woman called Mary Hill can't wait to watch Maryhill FC with other Mary Hills​

Mary Hill connected with other Mary Hill's during lockdown, and can't wait to get up the road to watch their team Maryhill FC play!​

Carla Jenkins
It's always a funny feeling when you meet someone with the same name as you.

But how does it feel when you find a whole place with the same name as yourself?

Well - we now know, after Leeds-based Mary Hill came across the Glasgow area Maryhill during the course of her telesales job.

Although she had visited Glasgow as a child, it took lockdown boredom for her to start dreaming of the first trip she'll take when restrictions are lifted.

And where did Mary first think of? Well, Maryhill of course!

Mary told Glasgow Live: "I sort of 'discovered' it myself later when I was an annoying telesales person in one of my first jobs.

"We had to call up and down the country and I found Maryhill then. I actually loved calling Scotland in my telesales job as the Scottish were always more friendly on the phone.

"I came to visit Glasgow when passing through on the way to Mull of Kintyre when I was about 6? Maybe 7? I remember going to the Glasgow School of Art with the Mackintosh Library. Apparently we went through Maryhill and my mum pointed it out but I can't remember that bit."

Hilariously, as lockdown boredom started to take its toll, Mary started to plan a post-lockdown trip to Scotland and decided to reach out to find other Mary Hills, including in the actual OG Maryhill area.

Since her Columbus-like discovery, Mary has since met a whole network of Mary Hills - they've since connected online, and discovered Mary Hill FC. They're all now planning a trip to watch a game after lockdown lifts - and Mary has bought a hat in anticipation!

Mary said: "What spurred me on yesterday to join some Maryhill Facebook pages is I was planning some fun road trips to do with my mum and kids and also possibly on my motorbike and Scotland was top of that list.

"I want to do the route all round North Scotland, detour to the Shetland isles and then come back through Maryhill. So I thought I'd introduce myself. Turns out there are songs and a football team!"

"There are a few people saying their mum or sister also are called Mary Hill. I would love to meet up with them and go to a Maryhill FC match and have drink with the fans! Once lockdown is over of course! I've been humming the songs all yesterday afternoon. And I've bought a Maryhill hat!"

Do you know any other Mary Hill's or people who share names with places in Glasgow? Write in and let us know!

I have been on a corporation bus with that woman.
When the conductress appeared she said, “Mary Hill, single.”
So when it was my turn, I said, Billy Smith, married.”
I think this is courtesy of Lex Maclean. The old ones are the best.

Woman called Mary Hill can't wait to watch Maryhill FC with other Mary Hills​

Mary Hill connected with other Mary Hill's during lockdown, and can't wait to get up the road to watch their team Maryhill FC play!​

Carla Jenkins
It's always a funny feeling when you meet someone with the same name as you.

But how does it feel when you find a whole place with the same name as yourself?

Well - we now know, after Leeds-based Mary Hill came across the Glasgow area Maryhill during the course of her telesales job.

Although she had visited Glasgow as a child, it took lockdown boredom for her to start dreaming of the first trip she'll take when restrictions are lifted.

And where did Mary first think of? Well, Maryhill of course!

Mary told Glasgow Live: "I sort of 'discovered' it myself later when I was an annoying telesales person in one of my first jobs.

"We had to call up and down the country and I found Maryhill then. I actually loved calling Scotland in my telesales job as the Scottish were always more friendly on the phone.

"I came to visit Glasgow when passing through on the way to Mull of Kintyre when I was about 6? Maybe 7? I remember going to the Glasgow School of Art with the Mackintosh Library. Apparently we went through Maryhill and my mum pointed it out but I can't remember that bit."

Hilariously, as lockdown boredom started to take its toll, Mary started to plan a post-lockdown trip to Scotland and decided to reach out to find other Mary Hills, including in the actual OG Maryhill area.

Since her Columbus-like discovery, Mary has since met a whole network of Mary Hills - they've since connected online, and discovered Mary Hill FC. They're all now planning a trip to watch a game after lockdown lifts - and Mary has bought a hat in anticipation!

Mary said: "What spurred me on yesterday to join some Maryhill Facebook pages is I was planning some fun road trips to do with my mum and kids and also possibly on my motorbike and Scotland was top of that list.

"I want to do the route all round North Scotland, detour to the Shetland isles and then come back through Maryhill. So I thought I'd introduce myself. Turns out there are songs and a football team!"

"There are a few people saying their mum or sister also are called Mary Hill. I would love to meet up with them and go to a Maryhill FC match and have drink with the fans! Once lockdown is over of course! I've been humming the songs all yesterday afternoon. And I've bought a Maryhill hat!"

Do you know any other Mary Hill's or people who share names with places in Glasgow? Write in and let us know!
Are her legs like a spider and something else like the paper on the wall!?

I was with them for a fortnight.
Knocked back their £4 a week offer and went back to my amateur team who had better players.

My abiding memory is coming off the training pitch to be approached by a ginger heided senior player bedecked in a green and white tracksuit who asked both my mate and I “who do you support lads?”
Both of us were rigged out from head to toe in blue, white and red.

Rather sheepishly the reply was “both Rangers”.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when “Paddy Turner” replied “Excellent, there’s too many 19th Century Terrorist in this team.”

I’ve no idea if he actually was a bluenose or just trying to put us at ease.

I was with them for a fortnight.
Knocked back their £4 a week offer and went back to my amateur team who had better players.

My abiding memory is coming off the training pitch to be approached by a ginger heided senior player bedecked in a green and white tracksuit who asked both my mate and I “who do you support lads?”
Both of us were rigged out from head to toe in blue, white and red.

Rather sheepishly the reply was “both Rangers”.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when “Paddy Turner” replied “Excellent, there’s too many 19th Century Terrorist in this team.”

I’ve no idea if he actually was a bluenose or just trying to put us at ease.

Reading your post when you mentioned the ginger hair paddys name came to mind im sure he went to Possilpark Secondary the same school as me im sure he is a bluenose, and was a very good footballer. cheers

Back