Domestic season over in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've loved having Gerrard as manager. I wanted it to succeed more than anything. But this collapse is on him and I genuinely think he already knows he's done, and the players know it too.

I would agree about knowing he's done, except that doesn't explain the European form. A team doesn't go out and beat Braga home and away because they are done with the manager. You don't come back from 2-0 down to one of the best teams in Europe form wise, and not be able to score against a side bottom of your domestic league.

The explanation is that we have a team of players who think they are too good or precious to be bothering their arse playing in Scotland. There is no way they bottle every 50/50 like that if Hearts had been Hëârts.

Did you really? So you weren’t surprised that I wasn’t bowled over and farting rainbows after another humiliating cup exit? Well that’s great, thanks for the input. And you’re right, breaking their annual treble is an obsession, it’s a shame it doesn’t appear to be that way for the players and management, but I’m sure you’re fine with that.

Load of shite.
You seem to have anointed yourself as the only person that's disappointed when results don't go our way...we ALL are but most of us (once we've all calmed down) realise that Gerrard is head and shoulders above any manager we've had recently and although we're disappointed, a bit of patience is required.
Knee jerk reactions to automatically bin a manager who's progressing us slowly but surely isn't the answer.
We all get you don't like him...I get that but starting a "new project" at this stage in our progression is just insanity.

his peristence with 433, ojo and tav as captain have contributed to this collapse. I dont want ro force him out but if he left/got sacked i wouldnt be in mourning. something has to give - either tactics or the manager

You seem to have anointed yourself as the only person that's disappointed when results don't go our way...we ALL are but most of us (once we've all calmed down) realise that Gerrard is head and shoulders above any manager we've had recently and although we're disappointed, a bit of patience is required.
Knee jerk reactions to automatically bin a manager who's progressing us slowly but surely isn't the answer.
We all get you don't like him...I get that but starting a "new project" at this stage in our progression is just insanity.

Knee jerk? This is the second consecutive season where it’s been over for us early doors. There’s nothing knee jerk. And honest god mate bore off with your “we get it you don’t like him pish”. I could just easily turn that around on you and every other staunch defender and give it “we get it, you’ll accept any old shite as long as Gerrard’s in charge”. Maybe grow up and contribute something worthwhile to the debate, or at least explain to me how this is progress and why this particular coaching staff should be the ones that are allowed a third season after 6 out of 6 domestic failures.....

We do not have any players that can dig and get us out of a fight.

Trying to outplay Hearts is pointless, fight them first and then let your good players play.

To do the same thing three times knowing it does not work is ludicrous.
How about a Mcrorie or a Docherty. Maybe we should look to sign that sort of player for these sort of battles. At one time near to the end we lost about 6 or 7 tackles in a row leading to almost another goal. Kent couldn't run round a stationary clothes pole at the moment and Aribo is no good for this type of game. Don't get me started on Ojo. And as for Edmundson . . .

Knee jerk? This is the second consecutive season where it’s been over for us early doors. There’s nothing knee jerk. And honest god mate bore off with your “we get it you don’t like him pish”. I could just easily turn that around on you and every other staunch defender and give it “we get it, you’ll accept any old shite as long as Gerrard’s in charge”. Maybe grow up and contribute something worthwhile to the debate, or at least explain to me how this is progress and why this particular coaching staff should be the ones that are allowed a third season after 6 out of 6 domestic failures.....
"Grow up?"
I think that particular objective passed me by many moons ago! ;) so your patronising patter doesn't apply to me I'm afraid!
As for "contributing something worthwhile to the debate?"...I think me occasionally challenging your oh so obvious dislike of Gerrard holds a bit of merit.
For the avoidance of doubt I don't think for a single second that Gerrard is a Messiah or anywhere near it but I DO think that he's more than capable of progressing us to being a successful team but then again, I'm a half glass full kind of guy and perhaps that's a concept that's a bit alien to you!

"Grow up?"
I think that particular objective passed me by many moons ago! ;) so your patronising patter doesn't apply to me I'm afraid!
As for "contributing something worthwhile to the debate?"...I think me occasionally challenging your oh so obvious dislike of Gerrard holds a bit of merit.
For the avoidance of doubt I don't think for a single second that Gerrard is a Messiah or anywhere near it but I DO think that he's more than capable of progressing us to being a successful team but then again, I'm a half glass full kind of guy and perhaps that's a concept that's a bit alien to you!

Are you familiar with the expression “the pot calling the kettle black”?

I have nothing against Gerrard personally, I don’t think he’s doing well enough domestically, not even close in fact. This is Rangers, not Aberdeen, and if this is encouraging to you and if this is acceptable progress to you, then it’s a glass half full of shite mate.

Are you familiar with the expression “the pot calling the kettle black”?

I have nothing against Gerrard personally, I don’t think he’s doing well enough domestically, not even close in fact. This is Rangers, not Aberdeen, and if this is encouraging to you and if this is acceptable progress to you, then it’s a glass half full of shite mate.
Fair enough, I'll let you get on with your life being miserable because things haven't quite worked out the way we'd hoped domestically this season but although I'm devastated by our recent league performances and the crushing fact that we got pumped out of the Scottish Cup tonight, I still believe Gerrard is the man to eventually get us back to where we belong.
I suppose the bottom line is I have optimism but all you can offer is pessimism and that's your prerogative...there's always someone like you in every pub/club/supporters bus in the country.

Fair enough, I'll let you get on with your life being miserable because things haven't quite worked out the way we'd hoped domestically this season but although I'm devastated by our recent league performances and the crushing fact that we got pumped out of the Scottish Cup tonight, I still believe Gerrard is the man to eventually get us back to where we belong.
I suppose the bottom line is I have optimism but all you can offer is pessimism and that's your prerogative...there's always someone like you in every pub/club/supporters bus in the country.

Cheers, I’m glad you’ll no longer be responding to me with more happy clapping guff absolutely dripping in denial. I genuinely appreciate it, all I will say is I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Cheers, I’m glad you’ll no longer be responding to me with more happy clapping guff absolutely dripping in denial. I genuinely appreciate it, all I will say is I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.
This "happy clapping/poster boy" pish really doesn't do your credibility any good.
At least I'm reasonably pleased that you'd be happy if I was right and you were wrong.
Let's just see how things develop in the fullness of time to see who's right in supporting Gerrard or binning him and starting again from scratch.

This "happy clapping/poster boy" pish really doesn't do your credibility any good.
At least I'm reasonably pleased that you'd be happy if I was right and you were wrong.
Let's just see how things develop in the fullness of time to see who's right in supporting Gerrard or binning him and starting again from scratch.

Plenty of people agree. Good thing I’m not fussed about being credible in your eyes isn’t it. After all why would I want assurances from someone so comfortable with abject failure. And yes we’ll see, now let it go.

I’d say it’s quite clear we’ve improved our European results no end . We had definitely improved our league results up to new year . I’d say those are facts .
However, since then , the domestic form ,5 weeks or so) is a shitshow .
I’d be tempted to give him another throw of the dice , but some gutless individuals in the park need to go.

Seriously, where do we go from here? How can any manager survive that? How can anyone say this is progress?

We’ve just been embarrassed, it’s not only unacceptable, it’s downright humiliating. We’ve got a naive coach who doesn’t learn from his mistakes and players who actually admit they can’t deal with the expectation in domestic competition. This can’t go on, we’ve seen enough and I’m fed up with the excuses, enough is enough.
I agree, it’s incredible for the league to be over so quick, shows how good we are

Seriously, where do we go from here? How can any manager survive that? How can anyone say this is progress?

We’ve just been embarrassed, it’s not only unacceptable, it’s downright humiliating. We’ve got a naive coach who doesn’t learn from his mistakes and players who actually admit they can’t deal with the expectation in domestic competition. This can’t go on, we’ve seen enough and I’m fed up with the excuses, enough is enough.

We're baaaaack!

Brilliant thread to pull up which highlights, just like the Barisic, Tavernier and Morelos ones did, a little patience and sticking to your guns when progression is clear despite results, goes a long, long way. If the OP and his supporters on here got their wish and we had to rebuild from scratch this season we wouldn't be where we are now with such a settled management team and club ethos. Great find.

This one's my favourite ^^^ B-DB-DB-D

You weren't the poster who was in a permanent rage from the moment Gerrard was rumoured to be taking charge, until at least 6 months after he was appointed, were you??? He was brilliant.

One of the haters has to be the Foghorn Leghorn that sits in the East Enclosure. He was the first around me to call for Gerrard to go as “he doesn’t have a clue”.
This guy is loud, but unfortunately only bellows negative push.
Wonder if he’s now giving it big licks about the gaffer, 55, always knew it?

That bit of patience and backing worked for us. There were never any guarantees either way.

I'm one who would have argued for Gerrard to stay at the sort of point this thread was created, but I'm not going to claim some sort of superior knowledge due to that. There were signs of progress, but no one could say for certain either way what would happen.

And absolutely no one expected it to be this good!!

Seriously where’s all the lads who had a go at me the other night? Come on in and tell me about the progress, I could really use your persuasion more than ever now, but I feel like I’ve just watched a team of losers pass up our last chance at domestic silverware because they didn’t want it as much as that dreadful Hearts side.
I’m sure I would’ve been one of those.

I don't mind bumps like this. I can admit after Hamilton last season I thought Gerrard could be gone.

I even had a few doubts around the Livingston and Hibs games at the start of this campaign but were all vanquished from battering them at their midden.

The coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for using the lockdown period to come back the way they did.

Where is Danger Zone/Spooge now?

Yeah, seems to be some sort of idea going that our second consecutive collapse was all good and part of the plan.

I genuinely don’t see the sense in pulling up old threads.
Sure some of mine will be pulled up. I stand by what I said in most of them. If he wasn't successful this season then his time was up. I don't even think that was close to a controversial view. 1st time we've gave a manger this sort of time in my lifetime (42). Maybe a lesson learned by myself and all the support that we can give a manger time to get it right.

Thought this was about Ceil Cennon for a second

If Gerrard wasnt learning fast enough then.....he sure has hit Good Will Hunting levels a brilliance this season

Howdya like dem apples

Upon hindsight it was more about lack of squad depth and quality, than his ability to learn from mistakes

to laugh at posters who said that Gerrard was shite and we were shite
The nature of the second collapse was horrendously disappointing, and I’d like to see anyone argue otherwise.

However, I can’t think of another manager and coaching team who’ve used time away to improve themselves in the way ours have.

They’ve came back with a mindset that finds a way to win regardless of opponent or tactics, and as much as we rightly laud Gerrard for being a game or two from genuine legend status, it wasn’t like that after the second collapse.

He’s learned a lot, we’ve become more patient and we’ve absolutely pissed it.

Ach, this is all getting a bit silly.

Given the domestic campaign repeating itself two years in a row, Gerrard faced more than valid concerns about his suitability and future in the job.

It all looks a bit silly now but there were serious calls for him to go on here last season. I'd be more concerned with anyone on here who regarded last season as some kind of success. We were absolutely fcking shite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back