Domestic season over in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we could go back far enough into the archives to dig out threads where some prominent (and currently chortling) posters wanted Walter papped 6 months after a Euro final and 5 months before the beginning of a 3 in a row period of dominance B-D

Anyone who wasn’t questioning Gerrard at that point probably sleeps with a 8x10 glossy of him. We’d made very little progress domestically, that’s a fact. The players crumbled, that’s also a fact. The gaffer made repeat mistakes, another fact. I’m just content I never actually once asked for him to be sacked and was always willing to give him another season. It’s important to realise some of these are posted in the heat of the moment immediately after defeats.
Ah, Mr Zone.

Too many threads like this last season and even in Gerrard's first campaign. People with zero patience and shouting 'change' at every opportunity.

This season is what happens when there is continuity and allowing a manager to overhaul a squad step-by-step.

The OP was at the forefront of telling those who supported Gerrard that we were basically 'fanny dazzled' by his name. Perhaps we just saw the progress.

One of the worst posts was by a regular contributor who suggested Gerrard was not a winner as a player. I'll spare his blushes for now.

There were plenty of naysayers on here that would have been happy to show Gerrard the door -- and they (as has been proven) would have been wrong to do so.

Sliding Doors scenario - had they got their wish, do you imagine we'd be where we are now? I think not.

And at the time they would have been, to some extent, justified. It actually accentuates how great the improvement has been, because - checks thread - no one certainly predicted the season panning out like this.

Stuff like this is daft. I openly had doubts about Gerrard and there was some good discussion around that subject.

Some people take their status on here a bit too seriously. It's a fans forum, we're emotive. Sometimes we make good points, other times spout a lot of pish.

I care about Rangers winning, not cultivating a reputation on a messageboard for being a 'good poster'.
I think many had doubts Uncle. However, the OP is way beyond 'doubts'. Its full-on, toys-oot-the-pram rage. Its often best to just step away from the keyboard in the aftermath of a poor defeat.

Big shout out to the board for holding their nerve.

I am a big Gerrard fan but have to admit my support wasn't far from showing signs of wavering last year.

I wouldn't say we were shite. Prior to new year we had been excellent. However, we were so reliant on goals from Alfredo that when circumstances (his ban) and subsequent loss of form combined, there were no goals from elsewhere and that put pressure on rest of side becuase it was apparent that losing a single goal in any game was more or likely leading to loss of 3 points.

I get it. It wasn't good enough and I was as disappointed as anyone, but we weren't fucking shite as you put it. Shite teams don't get to last 16 of europa league.

We lacked depth in squad and options and were over reliant on goals from one solitary player. The management clearly realised that and set about 1) increasing overall quality of squad 2) tweaking system and Buff's role in side to ensure goals were shared around.

Over the course of the piece, you're right: we weren't. Everything up to January was great. Only Europe post-Europe was a cause for success. There were lots of reasons for that, one of which was that the team - backed up by Kent's comment about playing in Scotland - couldn't cope with the pressure of a title challenge.

However not a single one of them will not be delighted to be proven wrong.

I mentioned in an earlier post that there was one particular FF member (can't remember who) who was apoplectic with rage, simply at the rumour of SG's appointment. And he continued like that for about 6 months following his appointment! "This is a f*cking disastrous appointment!" "Mark my words, he'll be gone by Christmas!".

It was actually quite funny how agitated he was B-D

Yeah, seems to be some sort of idea going that our second consecutive collapse was all good and part of the plan.

I genuinely don’t see the sense in pulling up old threads.

I don’t mind it too much, I suppose it’s just a bit of laugh. It also helps that there’s nothing to actually be embarrassed about. The last two domestic campaigns weren’t good enough and the collapse and exit to Hearts was utterly humiliating.

Take that OP within the context of when it was posted and I don't see what is wrong with it. An emotional response to a season imploding. He was hardly advocating the throwing of sharks.

I would love to know what all those nay-sayers and doom merchants are saying now. Fairweather fannies the lot of them.
In Gerrard We Trust. WATP.
In normal circumstances a manger that loses 6 trophies on the trot to their Old Firm rival is facing the sack. That's the way its always been and will probably go back to that once Gerrard leaves.

I think many had doubts Uncle. However, the OP is way beyond 'doubts'. Its full-on, toys-oot-the-pram rage. Its often best to just step away from the keyboard in the aftermath of a poor defeat.
It probably is and I was guilty as well but as I said - fans forum.

Is it really dissimilar from what would have being vented on the PR or Shieldshall road?

I've seen folk on here go for Walter, defend Warburton to the death (one poster to an almost terrifyingly, psychotic level) and dig in behind Pedro.

We all have our reasons, we are all just punters and we will all enjoy 55 the same.

If only we could go back far enough into the archives to dig out threads where some prominent (and currently chortling) posters wanted Walter papped 6 months after a Euro final and 5 months before the beginning of a 3 in a row period of dominance B-D

Anyone who wasn’t questioning Gerrard at that point probably sleeps with a 8x10 glossy of him. We’d made very little progress domestically, that’s a fact. The players crumbled, that’s also a fact. The gaffer made repeat mistakes, another fact. I’m just content I never actually once asked for him to be sacked and was always willing to give him another season. It’s important to realise some of these are posted in the heat of the moment immediately after defeats too.
Aye you got that one right...the stick Walter took was fuuckin scandalous at times...before and after Manchester.

Ach, this is all getting a bit silly.

Given the domestic campaign repeating itself two years in a row, Gerrard faced more than valid concerns about his suitability and future in the job.

It all looks a bit silly now but there were serious calls for him to go on here last season. I'd be more concerned with anyone on here who regarded last season as some kind of success. We were absolutely fcking shite!
Ffs, we weren't even close to shite. On fire in the EL, lost one cup final due to poor finishing and a 3 opposing players offside goal, went out of the other one at a venue we've lost at countless times before and were mathematically more capable of winning the league last season than they were a month ago this season. Injuries, suspensions, some highly dubious refereeing in key matches and a serious lack of squad depth ultimately cost us last year. We certainly weren't shite.

I don’t mind it too much, I suppose it’s just a bit of laugh. It also helps that there’s nothing to actually be embarrassed about. The last two domestic campaigns weren’t good enough and the collapse and exit to Hearts was utterly humiliating.
I'll counter that by saying, it frightens me to think where we might be right this very minute if it was not for Gerrard and his team.

Truly frightening and I'm so fucking glad the board had more faith than huge swathes of the support.

Thank f uck for the "happy clapper" board.

Take that OP within the context of when it was posted and I don't see what is wrong with it. An emotional response to a season imploding. He was hardly advocating the throwing of sharks.

That’s because there’s nothing wrong with it. Some are having a light hearted laugh at it which I think it’s completely fine in all honesty. Others are busy giving themselves self-aggrandising pats on the back as though they knew this is where we’d be a year on and there was no good reason to be upset at where we were after that cup exit. Leave them to it B-D

I do love a good thread bump - especially when I've not made an utter, howling c*nt of myself on it.:)

Phew!

@Captain Cutlass comes out of it well, fair play to him. Several others, eh maybe not.
Ha!

After tentatively scanning through the thread to realise with some relief that I’m also in the clear, I will admit that I did find it difficult at this point last year to imagine the sort of transformation that has taken place.

I was all for giving him another season - I think he’d earned that much - but it was a last chance gig really: he either won the title or we had to look elsewhere.

We really hit pay dirt with Gerrard, didn’t we?

What is the sense in bumping threads? The place is awash with positivity and good feeling, bumping this serves no purpose other than allowing some posters to gloat and have digs at other posters.

I haven’t posted in this thread or the other which was bumped too about winning the league.

Can understand people getting frustrated this time last year, it was soul destroying, and posting in the heat of the moment can result in threads like this. It's the arseholes who wanted him gone after the Aberdeen semi in his FIRST SEASON that should be ridiculed.

I wanted him to stay, even after Hamilton due to the progress we'd seen, but there was huge question marks over whether the squad had the mettle.

If anything else, this turnaround should be a huge lesson for the support but I'm kidding myself on if I think it'll change anything in the future.

Was this after the SC defeat to Hearts?
Was at that game and then went to pub and got pished, looks like a few stayed on the board while pished, some bump.

I'll counter that by saying, it frightens me to think where we might be right this very minute if it was not for Gerrard and his team.

Truly frightening and I'm so fucking glad the board had more faith than huge swathes of the support.

Well, I never once asked for him to be sacked so as far as having faith goes I’d say my willingness to give him another season takes me out of that bracket.

Ffs, we weren't even close to shite. On fire in the EL, lost one cup final due to poor finishing and a 3 opposing players offside goal, went out of the other one at a venue we've lost at countless times before and were mathematically more capable of winning the league last season than they were a month ago this season. Injuries, suspensions, some highly dubious refereeing in key matches and a serious lack of squad depth ultimately cost us last year. We certainly weren't shite.

Post 159

Gerrard was always going to need time and part of the process was always going to be some very poor performances and results.

A few injuries, niggles, suspensions were always going to cause issues as we did not have the squad.
Inexperience would mean that handling the pressure would also be a factor.
Even looking at guys like Roofe and Itten who have come in you can say that if Roofe didn't have injury issues he'd be nowhere near Scottish Football and if Itten was already the finished article he'd be starring in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

People without a goddamn clue think that we can just wander out and sign a team or experienced, world beating, "proven winners" like they just grow on trees.

We were coming back from a VERY difficult position and what we really, really, needed as a club was stability as we take baby steps towards our goal. Small improvements that add up and up until we get there.

Last seasons defender who makes the odd blunder that costs us is this seasons experienced colossus who leaves the rest of Scotland wondering if they should just incorporate "nil" into their clubs name.

Last seasons raw attacking talent that tries too hard and has inconsistent results becomes this seasons ever present who can show up with a match winning moment where necessary.

This isn't Smith's Rangers (times two) or Advocaat's Rangers who got to hit the ground running with money and experienced talent and managerial know how. This is something built from scratch and built upon the many, many, lessons of the preceding two seasons.

Very likely we are sitting where we are BECAUSE of that horrendous Hearts and Hamilton double header.

Next season will be a whole new challenge too as we try to somehow build on this fantastic success.

On my phone so no idea what you are referring to. If your argument was about lack of success that is hard to argue against. Saying we were shite is just talking the same is the point I'm making.

Bollocks, we were a disgrace post new year. We ended up in free fall and going more or less every game feeling like we could drop points. Nothing like a good rewriting of history.

It probably is and I was guilty as well but as I said - fans forum.

Is it really dissimilar from what would have being vented on the PR or Shieldshall road?

I've seen folk on here go for Walter, defend Warburton to the death (one poster to an almost terrifyingly, psychotic level) and dig in behind Pedro.

We all have our reasons, we are all just punters and we will all enjoy 55 the same.

Ahh Gio Loyal remember him.

Was it something along lines of he would hate Rangers fans and never forgive them for chasing Warbuton out haha.

He was a sensible poster outwith the Warbuton obsession wonder if he still posts.

What's to worry about? We would probably have McInnes as manager:eek:

This "happy clapping/poster boy" pish really doesn't do your credibility any good.
At least I'm reasonably pleased that you'd be happy if I was right and you were wrong.
Let's just see how things develop in the fullness of time to see who's right in supporting Gerrard or binning him and starting again from scratch.

Not sure but I think you might have won this one.

Ahh Gio Loyal remember him.

Was it something along lines of he would hate Rangers fans and never forgive them for chasing Warbuton out haha.

He was a sensible poster outwith the Warbuton obsession wonder if he still posts.

As much as he was obsessed with Warburton. I most remember him getting harangued on here for basically saying what people didn't want to hear about Pedro Caixinha.

But you said "This can’t go on, we’ve seen enough and I’m fed up with the excuses, enough is enough."

Doesn't sound as if you wanted him to remain - therefore you were wanting him gone..........

That’s more in reference to the collapse and the lack of form. I never once said I wanted Gerrard gone, if I wanted him sacked if he’s said it in plain English. I also reaffirmed my stance on subsequent threads that he deserved another crack at it. So all the self aggrandising pish that’s pouring out from a few at the moment is really based off of nothing other than conjecture and fairy nonsense.

I don’t mind a bit of piss taking, it’s absolutely fine. But this is the sort of bollocks that really does nothing other than to pour cold water on the positivity that’s running through the forum this season, particularly when it’s based on not an awful lot.

What should be said is that every single player (and the management team) who came through the collapse last year to deliver us 55 this season deserve immense credit. And they will get it in a few weeks. Once we've drank ourselves daft it's time to go after timmy and the rest of scottish football for a summer of insufferable gloating.

Seriously where’s all the lads who had a go at me the other night? Come on in and tell me about the progress, I could really use your persuasion more than ever now, but I feel like I’ve just watched a team of losers pass up our last chance at domestic silverware because they didn’t want it as much as that dreadful Hearts side.
Pull up a chair pal... oh sh*t we haven’t played and beat Hearts yet

Seriously, where do we go from here? How can any manager survive that? How can anyone say this is progress?

We’ve just been embarrassed, it’s not only unacceptable, it’s downright humiliating. We’ve got a naive coach who doesn’t learn from his mistakes and players who actually admit they can’t deal with the expectation in domestic competition. This can’t go on, we’ve seen enough and I’m fed up with the excuses, enough is enough.
Taking myself back to last season i'd agree with every word of this.

We were fu.cking awful post January.. results and performances were dreadful.

Gerrard looked like a broken man after the Hamilton game and clearly wasn't learning from any of his mistakes.

The players were being sent out to fail with the same 1 dimensional style of play and confidence was at rock bottom.

No one back then could have predicted this season.. It's total fantasy land stuff in comparison.

Thank god Gerrard did learn this season because we're about to lift 55.

What should be said is that every single player (and the management team) who came through the collapse last year to deliver us 55 this season deserve immense credit. And they will get it in a few weeks. Once we've drank ourselves daft it's time to go after timmy and the rest of scottish football for a summer of insufferable gloating.

Why do that when you can run around looking to stir trouble though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back