Domestic season over in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will like the others I’m sure hold my hand up and say he has thankfully proved me wrong. At the time I would have stood by my opinion but it just shows how things can change over time. He has taken us to the top and I will be forever thankful for that
Hopefully he emulates SAF and goes on and cleans up now.

I will like the others I’m sure hold my hand up and say he has thankfully proved me wrong. At the time I would have stood by my opinion but it just shows how things can change over time. He has taken us to the top and I will be forever thankful for that
Refreshing to read someone who admits he was wrong as opposed to the few trying to defend their comments or to fulminate against the thread bump.

Last edited:
If we're going to be honest, we must admit the 10 was making us irrational. Yes, we can all say we weren't in the league or that it was 9.7, but the fact is we were sick at the thought of them doing it.

No matter what age you are on here, none of us have with witnessed this. We all desperately wanted it stopped. Now we can relax again and build on the good work that's been done, even more so because we didnt need to outspend them to get there. That's the real result of this, good foundations and never letting ourselves getting into the situation we were in again.

If only we could go back far enough into the archives to dig out threads where some prominent (and currently chortling) posters wanted Walter papped 6 months after a Euro final and 5 months before the beginning of a 3 in a row period of dominance B-D

Anyone who wasn’t questioning Gerrard at that point probably sleeps with a 8x10 glossy of him. We’d made very little progress domestically, that’s a fact. The players crumbled, that’s also a fact. The gaffer made repeat mistakes, another fact. I’m just content I never actually once asked for him to be sacked and was always willing to give him another season. It’s important to realise some of these are posted in the heat of the moment immediately after defeats too.

I missed you DZ

Ahh Gio Loyal remember him.

Was it something along lines of he would hate Rangers fans and never forgive them for chasing Warbuton out haha.

He was a sensible poster outwith the Warbuton obsession wonder if he still posts.
He's under discussed on here IMO mate. You could see the total disintegration of the guy through his posts during that 16/17 season.

That performance 3 days after Braga was inexplicable.
Spot on. Was over in Braga and played well,brilliant result! Fast forward 3 days to Tynecastle was like a different team. Looked as if they had been bevvyin for 3 days! Then Hamilton on the Wednesday????Oh FFS!
Some difference this season!

A bit naughty bumping a post that was made on the back of 2 consecutive defeats by Hearts that effectively ended our season

Half the support probably thought the same that day.

And yet one year on there are people who still think it was all dandy and unreasonable to be sick and fed up.

It’s as if they’re relating the OP to this season and and not minutes after an embarrassing defeat that basically ended our season.

Spot on. Was over in Braga and played well,brilliant result! Fast forward 3 days to Tynecastle was like a different team. Looked as if they had been bevvyin for 3 days! Then Hamilton on the Wednesday????Oh FFS!
Some difference this season!
I was in Braga as well (one of the best trips ever) and it was as complete a performance away from home in Europe as you’re likely to find at that lever.

onto Edinburgh, I’m sure the weather was absolutely boggin as well, I was standing there wishing I’d stayed in Portugal a few days and made a holiday out it.

In normal circumstances a manger that loses 6 trophies on the trot to their Old Firm rival is facing the sack. That's the way its always been and will probably go back to that once Gerrard leaves.
But we were told right at the start that this was not a quick fix, one or two season wonder.
Mr Gerrard knew he was in it for the long haul and had assurances that he would be left to do his job. He reckoned 4 years. He actually delivered in three.

Last edited:
Okay I'll admit it I was very critical of Gerrard around this time particularly after the Hearts games. My fear back then was if we didn't win the league this season it could have possibly been 10,11,12 in a row etc.

But all of the gaffers pieces fell into place brilliantly this season and it just goes to show fans having patience pays off given time.

Because it's funny that folk are completely irrational and won't accept any mitigating circumstances, when it was pointed out in various threads at the time that our squad was thin and we couldn't cope with key players being injured etc they were told to %^*& up and stop being 'happy clappers', when it was obvious it was the truth and nothing except time and patience would fix it.

Ripping it up and starting again was as mental a suggestion back then as it would be now.
The squad was thin but the drop in performance levels from our European games/pre Xmas to January onwards twice in a row wasn’t good enough, let’s not rewrite history.

I imagine for lots, the repeated nature of it was a big concern. I said at the time that I was concerned but also wouldn’t want to see Gerrard relieved of his duties because there was still an improvement regardless.

The gaffer has admitted himself that he had a good think about how he and his coaching staff were approaching this season during the downtime, and it seems to have come up trumps. The defensive solidity is an incredible improvement from the players looking scared to play at Tynecastle, anyone who says they were expecting that level of improvement is a complete liar.

I’d honestly argue that some of the reaction to us dropping points at home/in Europe this season has been worse than this sort of thread.

These threads are a good laugh, and I know myself there are posts from me that won't have aged well. I will take what comes no sweat.

Let's be realistic though, if we were behind in the league at Christmas and had been put out the league Cup then hand on heart we would likely be bumping the thread for different reasons.

That we are doing it for fun is wonderful, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Let's keep it decent though. And not dillute our amazing position with too much I told you so whatabboutery.

I don’t really see what bumping this thread achieves. Our collapse in the league post-Christmas last season was unacceptable and there were rightly questions being asked of Gerrard for it.

Thankfully, he has more than answered every one of those questions. I’ve no doubt the Bears who expressed concerns 12 months ago will all be delighted at this moment.

Always interesting to see how badly I’ve ballsed it up with hindsight. :D

Not an exaggeration to say that it was looking grim at that point in time right enough, goes to show what a turnaround it’s been with the same core of players mostly.

The squad was thin but the drop in performance levels from our European games/pre Xmas to January onwards twice in a row wasn’t good enough, let’s not rewrite history.

I imagine for lots, the repeated nature of it was a big concern. I said at the time that I was concerned but also wouldn’t want to see Gerrard relieved of his duties because there was still an improvement regardless.
I was of a similar mindset.

I found our collapse last season really troubling. When the wheels started to wobble, there didn’t seem much Gerrard could do to prevent them falling off entirely.

After the back to back defeats against Hearts and Hamilton, it looked like he might have actually lost the dressing room and that rarely ends well. There was no confidence in the team whatsoever and the manager appeared clueless as to how to arrest it.

At the same time though you could still see in our performances up until January, especially in Europe, that we were a better team than we’d been the previous season so progress was undeniable.

He deserved the chance to have another crack at it and thankfully he got it spot on.

Out of interest, why did you abandon the Danger Zone username and re-invent yourself as @Scaramanga as recently as last December? That's not intended as a 'trick' question by the way, just curious.
Probably had something to do with the fact that youth coach Steven Gerrard was leading us to the title and James “He’ll NEVER lift a trophy as Rangers captain” Tavernier was on his way to getting player of the year.

I remember the thread, i was angry with the world at the time but saw it as the complete knee-jerk opportunity and best avoided.

Glad I didn't contribute but shows how easy it is to get sucked in in the moment.

I don’t really see what bumping this thread achieves. Our collapse in the league post-Christmas last season was unacceptable and there were rightly questions being asked of Gerrard for it.

Thankfully, he has more than answered every one of those questions. I’ve no doubt the Bears who expressed concerns 12 months ago will all be delighted at this moment.

Because it's funny.

The doom mongers like to say I told you so too. One risk of that is when you're proven so spectacularly and comprehensively wrong you're going to have fun poked at you.

Good luck asking for Gerrard’s head on here. I did it after St Johnstone and was asked to ‘spare us such keech’. Funnily, that quote is how I and imagine many others are feeling right now towards Gerrard and the team. Still, can imagine Admin will be handing a few bans out again tonight to anyone asking for him to go.
Absolute fanny. Clearly know the square root of %^*& all about football!

This whole forum was a different place this time last year. After that Hearts game pretty much everyone was in agreement that Gerrard wouldn’t last much longer, like it or not lockdown saved his job.

Thank fu,ck because I was genuinely gutted that it had fallen apart for him, so glad he’s turned us around. The sign of a great manager.

Great bump, love looking at these moments in hindsight to really appreciate how good we've become

Copped a temp ban that night, I was fuming, good times

Never doubted Gerrard but I was raging at the players during this time, wanted the lot of them shipped out, especially Tav and Goldson

Sent my dad a text after the Accies game saying something along the lines of "get Tav, Goldson, Kamara, Morelos, Davis, Kent, Ojo, etc. to %^*&, accept any bid"

Cant even remember who I wanted to keep lmao, probably just Greegsy

Didn't open this as I assumed it was about us having the league all but won in February.

How wrong was i :D

Probably had something to do with the fact that youth coach Steven Gerrard was leading us to the title and James “He’ll NEVER lift a trophy as Rangers captain” Tavernier was on his way to getting player of the year.
B-D

Last edited:
Some people like to show their self proclaimed football knowledge and physiological prowess by calling stuff early. "I telt you he was a dud right aff the bat." As if it makes them a super fan. Normally it extends to players. McCoist, Hateley, Ricksen would have been written off.

was about to post stating that it's time to give it a rest with the pelters

big Scara keeping it going :)

This thread does nobody any good.

It does in a way. It serves as a reminder that sometimes, when things go to shit, there might be reasons for it that can be remedied. Last year we had a bunch of important players out (I think both full backs simultaneously? Also Alfie and Defoe?). The squad cover wasn't good enough and we consequently collapsed.

My own visceral response was similar to that of the OP and many others at the time on here.

But the management team and DOF identified what the issues around the squad were and strengthened where needed.

Perhaps looking back we were not quite as far along the path last year as we thought. The win at the piggery had a lot of us thinking that the league was on when we didn't have the depth yet at that point.

Or it was because of a perma ban on a political thread. Given that I’ve made no effort to hide my identity or change my posting style I think a you could do with reinventing yourself under a more apt guise.
Pulling your leg mate

It allows a few people to say I told you so. I’d love them to deconstruct the OP, and barring the “enough is enough” hysteria posted in the heat of the moment after another embarrassing cup failure, tell us all what parts were actually inaccurate and why concerns weren’t valid.

As someone else said, we were terrible, it was embarrassing, we made the same mistakes again, these are all true. Rather than turn it into something positive and make it about how well the management team and players have turned it around and right the wrongs there’s a section of folk who’ve opted for shit stirring and shit slinging via snide digs and the rewriting of history. It’s a cracking GIUY, if you want to dilute or sour the recent euphoria.

Pulling your leg mate

If that’s the case, then I apologise. Like I said I genuinely don’t mind people taking the piss for a bit of fun.

And for the record (and I hope the biggest snipers see this), I said last season no one would be happier than me to see Gerrard turn it around, and no one would be happier than me to see Tav lift the league trophy. I also said I’d apologise to Tav if this happened and only last night reaffirmed that I’d be making that apology when the league title win is official. I’ll say what I said earlier, I’m happy to be wrong if it means Rangers are getting it right. That’s why I’m happy to show face and why I won’t hide away.

This whole forum was a different place this time last year. After that Hearts game pretty much everyone was in agreement that Gerrard wouldn’t last much longer, like it or not lockdown saved his job.

Thank fu,ck because I was genuinely gutted that it had fallen apart for him, so glad he’s turned us around. The sign of a great manager.
mentally challenged myth,lockdown did not save Gerrard's job.
You do not sack a manager who's in the last 16 of The Europa League.

Another point to raise is that the cause of the anxiety was the thought of them winning 10IAR. That fear is now gone. Forever. It's time everyone moved forward together and left the yahoo drowning in our slipstream.
Exactly time to change the narrative back on to us let them wallow in thier tainted titles

Not sure but I think you might have won this one.
Haha...I'd forgotten all about that little spat with Danger Zone.
It goes without saying that I thought he was wrong then and I KNOW he was wrong now!
Of course he was entitled to his opinion on Gerrard but I think it's safe to say he lost that particular argument big style!
Maybe next time he might not get quite so personal when he's discussing the relative merits of our manager and players.

Haha...I'd forgotten all about that little spat with Danger Zone.
It goes without saying that I thought he was wrong then and I KNOW he was wrong now!
Of course he was entitled to his opinion on Gerrard but I think it's safe to say he lost that particular argument big style!
Maybe next time he might not get quite so personal when he's discussing the relative merits of our manager and players.
aye awright you're milking it noo

:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back