Martyn Waghorn.

Followbear93

Forgot all about the lad untill he was on talk sport - saying how happy he is that we will win the league.

Does anyone think Waghorn could have been a useful player in Getrards system? Personally maybe on the right of the 3 but didn’t think he was good as the main central striker.

Like to bear people opinions..

I liked Waghorn. Gerrard likely would have improved him too.

Not sure he is good enough for where we are now though? Having said that iv havent seen him play since he left.

Maybe but he would ultimately lack the mentality and finishing ability to have stuck around.

A very likeably guy who did a great job for us in the Championship.

When you hear him speak about Pedro it is (even more) horrifying how much of a joker and chancer Caixinha was.

Difficult one.
Waggy was a good player for us and yes he would be in a better team now and Gerrard's coaching staff would certainly make him a more effective team member, but would he be better than what we have already?
I don't think so.

Forgot all about the lad untill he was on talk sport - saying how happy he is that we will win the league.

Does anyone think Waghorn could have been a useful player in Getrards system? Personally maybe on the right of the 3 but didn’t think he was good as the main central striker.

Under our coaching with gerrard macca beale and co, played on the right of the front 3 he would be very useful for us

Reactions: TQ3
He always speaks well of us, don’t think he’d have been good enough for us but a lot of time for him

The position he'd be playing you would need him to be better than Kent, Hagi or Aribo which isnt happening.

Hes a good guy and had a great season for us in the championship but after his bad injury he lost some of his pace and the pressure of being a Rangers player got too much for him in the end. You could tell how much he cared and it got to the point where he didnt want to be on the end of a chance in case he let us down.

I liked Waghorn and was disappointed how his Rangers career ended.

He was rushed back from his injuries and struggled to ever regain form or confidence for us.

I think he could have been a useful squad player in different circumstances. Seems like a good guy.

Would have been fine in this team.

Had one bad first touch against Celtic and it’s all that anyone ever goes about, totally forgetting all the great work he done for us.

I watched him the other week, what a shocking away kit Derby have!, and I thought he could do a job, more than Barker did anyway. That said we have Wright now, and he looks good to me. Fingers crossed for Scotty.

Back in the horror days it was hard todetermine who was good and who wasn't when the team as whole was bog average at best.

But I would have Waghorn down as a success. When yiou look at what Tav has developed into I like to think MW would have stepped up a level under somebody like Gerrard.

The position he'd be playing you would need him to be better than Kent, Hagi or Aribo which isnt happening.

Hes a good guy and had a great season for us in the championship but after his bad injury he lost some of his pace and the pressure of being a Rangers player got too much for him in the end. You could tell how much he cared and it got to the point where he didnt want to be on the end of a chance in case he let us down.
He would only have needed to be better than jones or barker to play a part.

And certainly aint a better player than hagi or aribo but maybe a more natural in that right position than they are?

That’s nuts I was talking to my mate, who’s a derby fan, about him today. I liked him, he’s scored goals, powerful. He would do well in this team

His midweek goal (cracker) was his first since the opening game of the season! That's a brutal return for someone they paid over £7m for. Roofe shows there is business to be done for players with Championship experience but he would be 5th choice striker now. FF loves revisionism of a player being better the longer he hasn't played.
I also like the Derby fans calling him Brock Lesnar!

His best days are behind him, he has no pace and looks like he's running in mud any time I've seen him lately on tv. Still got an eye for goal though. He was decent enough at us back then but nowhere near any of our players up top now. Good luck to the big guy for the rest of his career.

I liked Waghorn and think Gerrard would have used him. Ultimately, he only has himself to blame because Pedro gave him ample opportunity but he took a terrible dip in form and injury played it’s part. Anyway, hasn’t worked out too badly for the lad - good luck to him.

He would only have needed to be better than jones or barker to play a part.

And certainly aint a better player than hagi or aribo but maybe a more natural in that right position than they are?
Jones and Barker have never played much of a part though. He was too good a player to sit on the bench and come on for the last 10 minutes every 5 games like Barker has.

Would likely cost £10m+ now. English market is a very strange one.

edit: just seen he is 31. Dafuq.

He was struggling badly with depression after his injury against Hamilton, I don't think enough people recognise this.
He’s out of contract in the summer, no objections to him being a squad player for example if JD retires or wants more regular football elsewhere.

However Rangers are going up a level, not sure he’s missed his chance to come back. Wasn’t nice how his time ended with the Progres home game and him looking totally lost.

Under our coaching with gerrard macca beale and co, played on the right of the front 3 he would be very useful for us
Disagree, he's nowhere near technically good enough for one of the "wide 10" positions.

I liked Waghorn as a strong, bustling striker but for me Morelos and Roofe are a level or 2 above.

Also can't get rid of the image of him running the ball out of play at Hampden with nobody anywhere near him.

Last edited:
I liked him as a player, honest trier.

seemed to lack composure in front of goals at times though and as pointed out earlier in the thread spent too much time in the gym bulking up and lost pace.

shows you how ridiculously inflated the English market is. We sold him for just over a £1million, a season later he moved for around £5million.

Best wishes to Waggy.
We (well most of us) like him and he likes us. Good to have a mutual admiration albeit from a distance.

When he ran the ball straight out of play under no pressure against Celtic that was it for me.

No doubt a talented player but I think he struggled at times with the pressure of playing for Rangers. Good to see he's doing well at Derby.

I loved Waghorn, ideal signing for where we were in the journey. Seemed to struggle with the step up from Championship to SPL but that may have been magnified by the team struggling around him.

I think Gerrard and the coaches probably could've improved him if they'd been here at the same time but that moment's gone.

Said it on FF before but it was ridiculous value getting him & Tav from Wigan for circa £200k - daylight robbery :))

Yeah, I think he’d have been a good option either cutting off the right; or through the middle.

Would have worked his socks off too.

I actually think Waghorn and Windass could've performed well in this team tbh.

Can you imagine some of our away ties in Europe where we hit on the counter? Windass' pace would've been frightening.

Certainly would've been a better option than Jones or Barker.

Definitely not. Although I like Waggy he's not good enough for us now. There's many Derby fans want rid of him as well, so if he's not good enough for them he's definitely not good enough for us.

Hard worker but not good enough. He did have a purple patch at Ipswich and then Derby for a season or so, but hasn't really impressed much since. His form was emphasised back then because we were so crap. Nowadays he'd be nowhere near the likes of Roofe, Kent, Hagi, Alfie, Aribo etc
Agree. The 2 chances he missed at the paedodome is illustrative of his level. A decent player but not good enough.

Yes he was always decent coming off the RW never really recovered from the injury so Pedro punted him.
This is true but would you put him ahead of Hagi or Aribo?
He was never a “number nine” for me either.
I thought he was good enough for us at the time but, frankly, we have much better nowadays.

Yes, maybe a squad player. Would be any more or less effective coming off the bench compared to someone like Greg Stewart for example?

He played his part for the Rangers .
Good luck Waggy .
Heard him on talksport yesterday rubbing it into that mob

Of all the players we have back in those teams i think Waghorn would have been one of the few along with Tav to have been good enough for a Gerrard sqaud.

Lad could have been improved further and had a decent technical ability. Wish him all the best in his career.

Back