UEFA considering taking a Champions League final to America

As long as its financially beneficial for the clubs involved.

I'd travel to the states for a cup final, with or without a ticket!

Imagine a fan zone in NY/Vegas/SF. That would be a brilliant week!

Even if Stevie G achieved the miracle and got us there?

Absolutely perplexing any real football fan being open to such an idea.
I'm not in a position where I can go so it doesn't affect me. I do feel for the fans that would go though, hence why I said it was stupid.

To be honest it wouldn’t cost much more to get to New York that it would for flights to turkey etc

You went into no more detail than stating we wouldn't care where it was played.
I meant that we have such a large support that we would sell out anywhere in the planet.

I understand that some fans would be priced out and that’s not ideal but fans that go away in Europe would go wherever.

The airlines and hotels stiff fans, irrespective of where the game is played and that for me is a bigger issue than where the game is played.

You could fly to New Zealand for the price of flights to mainland Europe when a city hosts the CL final. Fine, maybe fans could drive if the game is played in Europe but flying you get fûcked regardless.

I don’t think the match being in Europe for sentimental reasons is necessary. Sides from Kazakhstan, Israel, etc. play in European competition.

The clubs should consider taking football away from UEFA.

Mate some of the clubs will be the one driving pish like this. Look at the pressure they've been putting on to revamp, threatening break-aways if they don't make it more of a closed shop etc.

I mean UEFA are scum, but some clubs are just as bad if not worse.

Mate some of the clubs will be the one driving pish like this. Look at the pressure they've been putting on to revamp, threatening break-aways if they don't make it more of a closed shop etc.

I mean UEFA are scum, but some clubs are just as bad if not worse.
The clubs will do whatever makes them the most money.

I meant that we have such a large support that we would sell out anywhere in the planet.

I understand that some fans would be priced out and that’s not ideal but fans that go away in Europe would go wherever.

The airlines and hotels stiff fans, irrespective of where the game is played and that for me is a bigger issue than where the game is played.

You could fly to New Zealand for the price of flights to mainland Europe when a city hosts the CL final. Fine, maybe fans could drive if the game is played in Europe but flying you get fûcked regardless.

I don’t think the match being in Europe for sentimental reasons is necessary. Sides from Kazakhstan, Israel, etc. play in European competition.
There's so much to take issue with there I won't waste my time. Worst of the lot being "I don’t think the match being in Europe for sentimental reasons is necessary"

Just glad you'll be in the vast minority on this one.

Champione League in US: FF - F**king disgraceful, terrible for fans

Rangers Pre season tourney in US: FF - Brilliant, great for fans etc etc

I don't get it.......

If UEFA can get cities bidding for major finals, whether that's in the US, Europe or the middle east, they'll do it.

It happens with things like the Superbowl, so it's no surprise that clubs and UEFA see this as a commercial opportunity.

I don't get it.......
If you follow a club that gets to the CL final. Season ticket holder go to all CL games maybe 1 or 2 away days you will be priced out of going to a final.It could be a once in a lifetime chance depending on what team gets there. If it's anywhere in Europe you at least have the chance of getting to it. Flights could be expensive but there other means at least cars,trains,ferries etc that could make it doable. All for money and greed making it only available to the rich, expats in the States that haven't put in the same £ commitment as you all season long and plastics.

I’m not totally against it as the final is played at a neutral venue anyway and some of the stadiums in the USA are massive. However it will cost more for the fans to get to which is disappointing.

I don't get it.......

One of them is the pinnacle of European footballing excellence and the other one is a series of friendly matches played at walking pace.

If you follow a club that gets to the CL final. Season ticket holder go to all CL games maybe 1 or 2 away days you will be priced out of going to a final.It could be a once in a lifetime chance depending on what team gets there. If it's anywhere in Europe you at least have the chance of getting to it. Flights could be expensive but there other means at least cars,trains,ferries etc that could make it doable. All for money and greed making it only available to the rich, expats in the States that haven't put in the same £ commitment as you all season long and plastics.
aye coz if your team got to a CL final in Vegas that would be shite and you wouldn't go for the sake of a few hundred quid more in flights

Sorry, still struggling. Are you saying that there is or isn't a difference between them? Do you think the final should or shouldn't be held abroad?
Im saying why are people on here raging at the thought of a CL final in the states when we go by our thousands to the US for a meaningless pre season tournament

Im saying why are people on here raging at the thought of a CL final in the states when we go by our thousands to the US for a meaningless pre season tournament

Because the numbers who attend US tournaments are still quite small and the sheer number and price of going to America would mean that a larger number of fans could not attend. There's a reason so many people were in Manchester. It's four hours down the road in a car.

It would be thousands upon thousands more. Flight prices would be stupid.
well, my flights to vegas werent that much more expensive than my flights to Cyprus

We would be banging the door down for an away Rangers game to Cyprus

Inflation of flight prices to a CL final airport are equally likely, europe or US. Prob more routes/airlines available as well to US than Europe with eg only Easyjet doing some places.

Because the numbers who attend US tournaments are still quite small and the sheer number and price of going to America would mean that a larger number of fans could not attend. There's a reason so many people were in Manchester. It's four hours down the road in a car.
UEFA are likely only taking into account people who are going to the game, which is the basis for my argument

They are unlikely to pick a venue based on the suitability for fans who will not be attending

People say its stupid, but a lot of us travel around the world to watch Rangers in pointless friendlies during the summer. B-D

Garbage idea.

A final featuring 2 European teams should not be played outside of Europe. There's already a club world cup to take club games to new countries.

The sooner we see football split into a global elite and then everybody else then the better it'll be. Let those who want to chase football tourism and global media/merchandise rights %^*& off to their own competition. They can take TV money with them.

The rest of us can get on with supporting fitba.

Which is clearly unfair.
it's all about opinions mate

Why would they care about people who are not attending the game, they will say "thats why we televise it"

For my 2 cents, if we made the Europa League final this year and they moved it to USA for some weird reason, I would be there, wouldn't matter the cost and have a nice wee holiday while I'm there

For what purpose?

It’s the premier club competition run by the European football federation so I’m guessing it would have to be in conjunction with their North American counterparts for a start.

To me it just looks like another opportunity to line the pockets of some already very rich people with little or no benefit to the clubs involved - fans would have to fork out more to travel to another continent entirely to watch the final for a start (assuming we’re allowed back into grounds by then).

it's all about opinions mate

Why would they care about people who are not attending the game, they will say "thats why we televise it"

For my 2 cents, if we made the Europa League final this year and they moved it to USA for some weird reason, I would be there, wouldn't matter the cost and have a nice wee holiday while I'm there

You can't hit out with an wildly unpopular and unfeasible idea and pass it off as us all having opinions.

European football should take place in Europe. It should be in a city or country that allows a sizeable number of fans to attend the game and be in the city for the atmosphere. Good for you that you would make a New York final - it'd cost considerably, considerably more than if the final were in Paris or Berlin - but there are thousands more who would not be able to. That's very unfair.

As long as its financially beneficial for the clubs involved.

I'd travel to the states for a cup final, with or without a ticket!

Imagine a fan zone in NY/Vegas/SF. That would be a brilliant week!
No, not on. It's one thing getting to Europe for a game, completely different for the average fan to travel to the states.

Wish they'd stop making football a plaything of people with plenty money.

The logistics of playing a CL final outside of Europe are also bonkers.

EST is 5 hours behind the UK and 6 behind most of central Europe. 8pm UK/9pm kick off for European audiences? 3pm local kick off time. Is there a local audience to attend in person? Is there a local audience to watch on TV at 3pm? How much interest is it actually going to generate that wouldn't be there if the final was hosted in a major European city?

What purpose does it serve taking the game to America or, worse, Asia?

well, my flights to vegas werent that much more expensive than my flights to Cyprus

We would be banging the door down for an away Rangers game to Cyprus

Inflation of flight prices to a CL final airport are equally likely, europe or US. Prob more routes/airlines available as well to US than Europe with eg only Easyjet doing some places.
Yes they'd stay the same as usual with thousands upon thousands looking to get flights out to the states. Once you get to mainland Europe there are ways and means of getting to places without flying. So it still makes it doable that a game on another continent simply won't.

It would be a slap in the face to working class fans who can't afford an expensive flight and accommodation across the Atlantic.

Unless they subsidized the cost of the flights and accommodation for fans who had tickets.

It is a joke how few tickets clubs get allocated for cup finals anyway, at least 45% should go to each club with the remaining 10% to sponsors etc.

There’s literally no consideration for the fans that follow their team week in week out when it comes to modern football

America has big money they can spend with sporting events as we've seen with the superbowl

If America want it, America gets it. Let's just hope America don't demand a 10:1 minute ratio of adverts:football

No, not on. It's one thing getting to Europe for a game, completely different for the average fan to travel to the states.

Wish they'd stop making football a plaything of people with plenty money.
Too late for that, football, particularly European football, is all about money these days.

As a one off concept, taking a final to the USA would be a great idea. Especially for the thousands of Bears out there should we be involved.

You can't hit out with an wildly unpopular and unfeasible idea and pass it off as us all having opinions.

European football should take place in Europe. It should be in a city or country that allows a sizeable number of fans to attend the game and be in the city for the atmosphere. Good for you that you would make a New York final - it'd cost considerably, considerably more than if the final were in Paris or Berlin - but there are thousands more who would not be able to. That's very unfair.
The fact that I don't have a huge issue with the idea and you clearly do is pretty much the dictionary definition of an opinion.

Yes they'd stay the same as usual with thousands upon thousands looking to get flights out to the states. Once you get to mainland Europe there are ways and means of getting to places without flying. So it still makes it doable that a game on another continent simply won't.
America has an internal Transport Network as well

They should get in touch with Dundee and Celtic if they want to know how to organise a game in America, Oh wait maybe not, file under did not happen.
On a different note, as I remembered this it makes you wonder more about the link up between these two teams especially with recent goings on with the missing vote.

The fact that I don't have a huge issue with the idea and you clearly do is pretty much the dictionary definition of an opinion.

Oh, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but by even saying that you're trying to legitimise an idea that is unfeasible, unfair and downright discriminatory.

You have no problem holding a European final in a city that wouldn't allow a huge chunk of Rangers fans to go to because you're in a position to be able to afford it. That's an absolutely appalling opinion, as much as you're entitled to it.

Joke of a decision if it goes ahead. The Superbowl would never be played in Europe so why is the Champions League final going over there? (Money obviously)

id 100% rather go to a Europa / Champions league final in a big US city than Azerbijan for example (probably take less time to get there as well)

Joke of a decision if it goes ahead. The Superbowl would never be played in Europe so why is the Champions League final going over there? (Money obviously)

It has been suggested.

Although talk of a London NFL franchise has died down.

Back