The Pitch at Ibrox.

Govanx

Cool Story Bro
What’s the story? I’ve been trying to think when was the last time I saw the pitch at Ibrox looking that bad, has to be the 70’s or before. Looked online and couldn’t find an answer as to why it looks as messed up as it does. FF is my go-to for all things Rangers. So what’s going on Bears, please enlighten me.

What’s the story? I’ve been trying to think when was the last time I saw the pitch at Ibrox looking that bad, has to be the 70’s or before. Looked online and couldn’t find an answer as to why it looks as messed up as it does. FF is my go-to for all things Rangers. So what’s going on Bears, please enlighten me.
Was worse in the 90s when they covered it with green sand.It is poor though

What is the actual issue with our turf? I know the weather doesn’t help but there’s plenty of other pitches in the UK that are fine.

I went into one of the Antwerp fans forums last night and saw that their supporters were commenting on the state of our pitch.

Main Stand side doesn't get enough sunlight due to the club deck hence the portable lights are on. It needs properly dug up. Not skimmed. The weather doesn't help.

I’m glad someone has brought it up

today

I've seen it worse in the 80s the 90s 00s 10s

it’s not rocket science. Away run about on your back grass when it’s raining try some slide tackles. See what it’s like the next day.

is there a better pitch in Scotland just now ?

It’s cold, it’s wet and the sun is low so the grass doesn’t enough sun to grow. I don’t think grass grows properly until the mean temperature is 10 degrees as well.

Not rocket science, we live in Scotland. Is it worse than other years? Not based on the last few years, it’s been awful until April most years.

today

it’s not rocket science. Away run about on your back grass when it’s raining try some slide tackles. See what it’s like the next day.

Whilst not immaculate, ICT's on tv now is far better than ours.

As has been well documented, our problem is down to the fact that we have skimped on spending money to improve the structure under the playing surface. Which is why it turns to shit by November and gets steadily more shit.

The structure under the pitch is years past its use by date.

Until the club spend money, we are going to continue to see a shit show each season after a dozen or so games.

I was considering starting a thread earlier about this.

It's embarrassing and actually detrimental to the team. It's no coincidence we haven't been as fluid and free flowing in the winter months after the pitch has started to cut up. Most of our games have been a slog.

Needs to be fixed as a priority going into next season imo.

today

yeah plenty. the pitch is a disgrace. other clubs have the same weather. the pitch is a mess all over it's got nothing to do with slide tackles

As has been well documented, our problem is down to the fact that we have skimped on spending money to improve the structure under the playing surface. Which is why it turns to shit by November and gets steadily more shit.

Until the club spend money, we are going to continue to see a shit show esch season after a dozen or do games.

ICT’s pitch isn’t completely surrounded by 4 massive stands which limit the sunlight and airflow to the pitch.
Plus I’m willing to bet that they aren’t passing the ball as well as we did last night.

What it looks like on the telly and how it plays are 2 completely different things.

We are digging down another ten feet so it’s not going to get an better . I’m not too bothered I think we will get it sorted

ICT’s pitch isn’t completely surrounded by 4 massive stands which limit the sunlight and airflow to the pitch.
Plus I’m willing to bet that they aren’t passing the ball as well as we did last night.

What it looks like on the telly and how it plays are 2 completely different things.

Watch the EPL games on the tele this weekend and look at the quality of their parks compared to ours. Even the English Championship clubs. It's night and day.

We can't be making excuses for it we need to get it resolved pronto. The players won't be enjoying playing on that park at the moment.

It’s cold, it’s wet and the sun is low so the grass doesn’t enough sun to grow. I don’t think grass grows properly until the mean temperature is 10 degrees as well.

Not rocket science, we live in Scotland. Is it worse than other years? Not based on the last few years, it’s been awful until April most years.
so how do other British clubs get their pitches in a playable state? Is Govan in some sort of micro climate? And has that only happened in the last few years? complete nonsense

It's embarrassing and actually detrimental to the team. It's no coincidence we haven't been as fluid and free flowing in the winter months after the pitch has started to cut up. Most of our games have been a slog.

Last night we were amazing and we have had such a succesful season so its fine

so how do other British clubs get their pitches in a playable state? Is Govan in some sort of micro climate? And has that only happened in the last few years? complete nonsense
So playing Devil’s Dick Advocaat, in what way was our pitch unplayable last night?

I agree it looks terrible but we scored a fantastic team goal by passing it through the opposition. The complete opposite of unplayable.

This, all day long.

Until the club spend money, we are going to continue to see a shit show each season after a dozen or so games.

Inverness who’ve had a very much curtailed season and played roughly half the number of home league matches as us?

Factor in our home games in other competitions and the wear and tear conditions aren’t remotely comparable.

Gerrard wasn’t happy with it last season and said so publicly.

I reckon he’ll be demanding it’s sorted out.

Lack of sunlight and wet weather deffo doesn’t help.

70s?
Missed Brugge and Marseille?

Incidentally, that wasn't a bad run either.

So playing Devil’s Dick Advocaat, in what way was our pitch unplayable last night?

I agree it looks terrible but we scored a fantastic team goal by passing it through the opposition. The complete opposite of unplayable.
ok not unplayable but its not what it's meant to be. we should be playing football on grass not mud

Our players are taking an extra touch or two. They are a bit more hesitant in their passing and we are not as fluid or as free flowing as we were earlier in the season.

Yes, we scored good goals last night etc but the condition of the pitch is undoubtedly impacting aspects of our play.

I'm not saying our football has fallen apart. Not at all. But the surface is not helping things. A blind man can see that.

Have ICT been playing continually on their pitch sometimes twice a week since the start of August ?

if you aren’t playing on it you aren’t damaging it.

Worst since the 70s is just utter nonsense. I don't know why the OP bothers posting something so blatantly inaccurate. Throughout the mid 2000s I remember being it a lot worse than it was last night.

The pitch isn't great but it's already improved a lot from even just last month and will continue to get better for the remainder of the season.

today

So it’s never rained in Govan before? And no one’s been sliding about on the pitch up until recently? Away and have a lie doon ffs and stop writing pish!

Over a year, there is actually a fair amount of difference between the Glasgow climate and that in England, both in amount of sunshine and temperature. The rainfall in Glasgow is also greater, but more significantly, it is likely to be a constant drizzle, rather than short heavy bursts.

Have a look at the weather report on tv every night and most nights you will see a big band of rain on the screen, running from bottom left to top right, heading for the west coast of Scotland and missing most of England.

I now live in England and had the air con on today, whilst my neighbour had his hot tub on in his garden. Not exactly the Caribbean, but a pleasant sunny 14 degrees that felt warmer in a south facing garden.

It's not just the rain and lack of sun that affects the Ibrox pitch, its the way the stadium is built and the fact that not a lot wind gets in, to dry out the pitch.

That is part of the reason why they have never filled in the corners at either end of the Main Stand. They need the wind blowing through the stadium to dry out the pitch and the lay out of the stadium means that only a wind coming from the east or west will get to the pitch via the 2 gaps. If it's coming from the north or south, the Main stand & Sandy Jardine stand will block it and the pitch can't dry out, which stunts the growth.

Detrimental to the team ? FFS I’ve heard it all now, we gave a very good team a tanking.
Yet you think it’s all a slog ? That’s probably the best performance I’ve seen from middle to front all season - yet you think otherwise.

With all the billions of pounds there are in football you would think some clever people would have found a cost effective way of maintaining a grass pitch for elite football.

Once the league is wrapped up and we are hopefully still in Europe, as there are no crowd perhaps it could be better to try and play our remaining SPL home games at Hampden or Murrayfield and the European games at Ibrox, the SPL would probably never entertain that, they would expect us to have a decent pitch.

Watching the Euro highlights last night looked like Arsenal were playing on a billiard table. Ours by comparison was dreadful. Sure we played some great football, but think how much better we might be on a pitch like that. Climate might prevent us getting quite to that level at this stage of the season but I hope we can find cash to invest in a much better surface soon. We are soon to be recognised without doubt as Scotland's elite club after all !

Admin going to put up that nothing to do with the turf or no sun all that stuff. It’s to do with the water table from the Clyde . When excess rain the water table from the Clyde pushes the water back up. I fortunately with being close to Clyde we suffer for it. Not a lot we can do they have been trying for years to come up with something.

Watching the Euro highlights last night looked like Arsenal were playing on a billiard table. Ours by comparison was dreadful. Sure we played some great football, but think how much better we might be on a pitch like that. Climate might prevent us getting quite to that level at this stage of the season but I hope we can find cash to invest in a much better surface soon. We are soon to be recognised without doubt as Scotland's elite club after all !

Arsenals stadium isnt that old, im sure when it was built they had all of the state of the art drainage etc custom

I’m a bit concerned at how it sees out the season.

Nine days until the next game on it, then another 12 after that.

Needs a lot of work.

Back