Votes: 56 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.4%

• Total voters

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
A shameless copy of the best striker since McCoist thread.

Richard Gough was a colossus of a centre half and captain.

Who has been our best centre half since he left?

This is a good question.

I don’t think it’s fair to include Goldson purely because he’s still playing and folk will vote for the players the resonate with.

This is very, very hard.

I voted Amo, but he could make blunders, as could the other defenders on this list to be fair.

Weir for me . I do think Skippy is underrated mind you . Amo got a lot of credit , but quite often he was found wanting if Moore wasn't there to tidy up behind him

Amo for me. Yeah, he made some mistakes over the years, but he was an absolute colossus of a defender that gave us 100% every time.

Had the pleasure of meeting him back in the day in Archaos, and was an absolute gentleman even though i interrupted him chatting up a couple of dolly birds!!

Want to like all your posts as i like them all, but for me Cuellar was probably the most technical imo.

Davie Weir all day long. If only we had got him when he was a bit younger.

Centre half’s don’t exist in today’s game - central defenders are now what we all understand.
However Ronnie Mackinnon was the best centre half in scotland that I’ve ever seen, albeit Jackson and Johnstone then rode him close.

Weir for me, similar to Goldsons role in that we were in the gutter when he stepped in and has been a rock.
Amo was magnificent but the leap in our performances and 3 titles in a row and 8 trophies AND a European final makes Weir the clear winner

I love big Amp, I really do but is everybody got amnesia and forgot about some of the gaffes he'd do launching an attack from CB.

I went with Davie Weir. Won 3 in a row with us and helped take us to a UEFA Cup Final all whilst in his late 30s and early 40s. The most consistent centre half we’ve had since Gough.

i think john brown is up there better footballer than all but Bougie , very rarely messed up as he was so focussed , terrific tackler , leader. , could score goals too. And left sided . Gough came back after JB stopped so i guess its another name i need but of them all id take JB .

otherwise i guess its a similar player id select but its close , so Weir i think

i think john brown is up there better footballer than all but Bougie , very rarely messed up as he was so focussed , terrific tackler , leader. , could score goals too. And left sided . Gough came back after JB stopped so i guess its another name i need but of them all id take JB .

otherwise i guess its a similar player id select but its close , so Weir i think
He stopped before Gough though.

Went for Weir.
His performance levels for his age were exceptional, especially in the 2008 Uefa Cup run

Amoruso’s all round game was top class, maybe lacking a bit of pace but he was technically excellent. Thing is, he was also really well suited to the physicality of Scottish football. He might have had the ego and the movie star looks but did he fancy a cold Tuesday night in Dingwall? Damn right he did!! Put his body on the line and never shirked a 50/50 challenge, then would be the first to step up and hit a Beppe Signori style penalty into the top bag!!
I remember the sadly departed and much respected poster on here - Number Eight, reckoned he was better than Gough! There’s Only One Amoruso - he gets my vote!!

This is a hard one. Bomber was one of my favourites. Boomsong was a class above but not here long enough to earn it. Big Amo was a man among bhoys if a bit flakey especially in Europe. Age caught up with Weir. Big Marvin was a riot. Bocanegra did well. Was not a fan of Oz even though he gave us his all. Out the list I’d have to say Amo for his overall contribution to the team.

Cuellar was a Colossus for Rangers who we only enjoyed for precious little time.

Make no mistake though Goldson is the name that will be right up there alongside Gough for his contribution to Rangers.

There is a lot of quality on that list and Goldson belongs among them, however Cuellar is the best for me, extra bonus point for having a brilliant song too!!!

Tough one but for me Davie Weir

Amo deserves a shout obviously

Cuellar wasn’t here long enough imo

Goldson depending on how long he stays will be in the running

Back