Votes: 368 39.4%
  • Bougherra

Votes: 41 4.4%
  • Goldson

Votes: 56 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.4%

• Total voters
Voted for cuellar as he was simply magnificent for us. Disappointed he only gave us one year. For value for money it would have to be weir, signed as a 6 month stop gap and can’t believe how much we got out of him.

I’ve went for Weir for three leagues, numerous cups, a great European run and, most importantly, the development and performance levels of Cuellar, Bougherra and also Danny Wilson who came in, got better and made us some money.
As an individual player, I’d probably have went for Amoruso.

Cuellar for me. We'll do well to see a one-off season like that again in the next 20/30 years. Immediate impact, dragging us to a European final in a team which was built upon not conceding goals. Only denied a real trophy haul by our own success and an FA willing to do nothing to accommodate our European run.

Amo over Wier for the glory against the myopic bastard. Just seemed more ..‘picturesque’

Good question.
Big Amo for me . He's just one of the players I loved watching a firm personal favourite and a maverick.

Carlos was another who I adored but his stay was brief. Top talent. Very like boumsong but achieved more for us.

Boogie and weir were both quality signings and achieved much.

Goldson this season has elements of some of the above about him. Calm, leader good in air, ping a long ball, goals and his status is on the up.

For me it’s David Weir, outstanding defender in his own right but had that priceless ability to make others play better who were alongside him.

Would have voted Amo but man did he make some mistakes.

Weir for me.

Some big ones too.

Definitely cost us the SC Final against Hearts at the piggery, but overall, he was a great central defender.

Torn between Amo, Moore, Cuellar and Goldson.

This is a good question.

I don’t think it’s fair to include Goldson purely because he’s still playing and folk will vote for the players the resonate with.

This is very, very hard.

I voted Amo, but he could make blunders, as could the other defenders on this list to be fair.
Amo was a top talent flogged goals at times but played against hartson Sutton and larson and always gave them a right good game Craig Moore was also underrated at cb imo he was the only player I can remember smashing larson after his leg break cuellar was also top drawer as was weir.

Tough choice, they were all top class, it might have been Boumsong if he had stayed at the club longer.

Amo was a top talent flogged goals at times but played against hartson Sutton and larson and always gave them a right good game Craig Moore was also underrated at cb imo he was the only player I can remember smashing larson after his leg break cuellar was also top drawer as was weir.
Yeah, nobody else on that list marked R9 out of a European semi final.

i think john brown is up there better footballer than all but Bougie , very rarely messed up as he was so focussed , terrific tackler , leader. , could score goals too. And left sided . Gough came back after JB stopped so i guess its another name i need but of them all id take JB .

otherwise i guess its a similar player id select but its close , so Weir i think
Criminally underrated footballer.

A shameless copy of the best striker since McCoist thread.

Richard Gough was a colossus of a centre half and captain.

Who has been our best centre half since he left?
This one is better as it includes all the main contenders.

The lack of Mols as an option was a frankly embarrassing oversight!

Carlos Cuellar was outstanding however imho wasn’t with us for long enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Gough. Amo has the stature but his delusional sense of his own abilities was a problem at times. Bougie is just Amo-lite and Boumsong shouldn’t even be on the list, again, imho. Goldson is getting there but needs the (soon to be achieved) silverware to back it up.

Weir came to us as a stopgap in the twilight of his career and became the rock that Walter’s 2nd spell was built on, so he gets my vote.

Can't recall that mate what game was that? R9 it the greatest ever imo what a baller wish we had got him Messi and inesta
For Fiorentina in 96/97, Amo spent a full week of training just just doing quick feet in ladders and short sprints to nullify his turn of pace.

Amo said that he only lost him once over the two legs but R9 missed the chance, Fiorentina still went out though 2–1 IIRC.

Cuellar would fit into any Rangers team of the last 40 years for me.

Gough is the only one who stands above him in terms of both ability and attitude.

Loved the swagger of both Boogie and Amoruso but the mad brain-farts they both were prone to just drop them off a level.

This is probably an unusual one, but for me Alan McLaren takes a bit of beating. He retired early, but I think he was top drawer. Gough took all the plaudits, but McLaren just got on with it. Him and his big red cheeks.

Cuellar would fit into any Rangers team of the last 40 years for me.

Gough is the only one who stands above him in terms of both ability and attitude.

Loved the swagger of both Boogie and Amoruso but the mad brain-farts they both were prone to just drop them off a level.
No matter how people feel about him Terry Butcher is our finest central defender in the last 40 years, Gough was great but Butcher was better

Last edited:
I voted Amo, yes he did make mistakes but who didn’t, he was an absolute rock at times and liked to play a bit

Back