Slavia avoiding Rangers' 'absolutely unreal' atmosphere is vital to their Europa League hopes insists Vaclav Hladky

Salamanca

Hladky spent 18 months with St Mirren before moving in the summer to English League Two big-spenders Salford City

Former St Mirren keeper Vaclav Hladky believes compatriots Slavia Prague will have a huge advantage when they play Rangers because Ibrox diehards won't be in attendance.

Rangers face the dangerous Czechs in the Last 16 tie of the Europa League, who knocked out Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City in the previous round.

Hladky spent 18 months in Paisley before moving in the summer to English League Two big-spenders Salford City, where he's made 36 appearances this season, And he reckons that although Slavia will be boosted by no supporters being at the game in Glasgow, it's too close to call.

He said: "I had the honour of playing at Ibrox twice with St Mirren and it was absolutely unreal.

"I think it will definitely be a great advantage for Slavia to play in front of empty stands.

"Rangers' stadium has a capacity of 50,000, which is two and a half times larger than Slavia's Sinobo Stadium. But of course, they won't have their fans inside the ground.

"As for Slavia's chances, Rangers showed an amazing display of attacking football in the last round, because the aggregate score against Royal Antwerp was 9-5.

"So the tie is certainly something to look forward to and I am convinced we will see a lot of goals in both legs.

"At the moment I would not dare to predict a winner, but I do think both games will be very balanced and equal."

Sure we were linked with him?? Some nice comments, makes a change

Maybe we are playing better football this year because we have no fans ! In which case they might be in for a shock :))

If the support had been there, we would have seen out the Benfica game. The atmosphere would have been incredible vs. Galatasaray, Liege and Antwerp. Even Poznan as I'm sure they would have had a decent away following.

A real shame.

Hladky spent 18 months with St Mirren before moving in the summer to English League Two big-spenders Salford City

Former St Mirren keeper Vaclav Hladky believes compatriots Slavia Prague will have a huge advantage when they play Rangers because Ibrox diehards won't be in attendance.

Rangers face the dangerous Czechs in the Last 16 tie of the Europa League, who knocked out Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City in the previous round.

Hladky spent 18 months in Paisley before moving in the summer to English League Two big-spenders Salford City, where he's made 36 appearances this season, And he reckons that although Slavia will be boosted by no supporters being at the game in Glasgow, it's too close to call.

He said: "I had the honour of playing at Ibrox twice with St Mirren and it was absolutely unreal.

"I think it will definitely be a great advantage for Slavia to play in front of empty stands.

"Rangers' stadium has a capacity of 50,000, which is two and a half times larger than Slavia's Sinobo Stadium. But of course, they won't have their fans inside the ground.

"As for Slavia's chances, Rangers showed an amazing display of attacking football in the last round, because the aggregate score against Royal Antwerp was 9-5.

"So the tie is certainly something to look forward to and I am convinced we will see a lot of goals in both legs.

"At the moment I would not dare to predict a winner, but I do think both games will be very balanced and equal."

His banner pic on his Facebook is Ibrox - from the "Penalties" game.

I am surprised Rudi Skacel's not done an interview yet. He had 3 spells with Slavia.

Others who have been at Slavia and in Scotland are Zdenek Zlamal, Jakub Divis (Hibs on loan under Calderwood), Jakkola at Kilmarnock, Milan Nitriansky (Partick). Also, Tomas Pesir and Jakub Hottek who were both at Livingston.

His banner pic on his Facebook is Ibrox - from the "Penalties" game.

I am surprised Rudi Skacel's not done an interview yet. He had 3 spells with Slavia.

Others who have been at Slavia and in Scotland are Zdenek Zlamal, Jakub Divis (Hibs on loan under Calderwood), Jakkola at Kilmarnock, Milan Nitriansky (Partick). Also, Tomas Pesir and Jakub Hottek who were both at Livingston.
Sionko was interviewed the other day and he was ex Sparta Prague and Rangers but he wants Slavia to beat us.

Just been reading that covid infections are rocketing in the Czech Republic. Everywhere else they are falling now.

Might raise questions on where the match(es) actuallyy get played.

The big negative in this wonderful, entertaining roller coaster SG is piloting is not being there. A normal Thursday night would have seen me and my gang in the Louden by 8pm chewing over another ''routine '' Europa win. :) Missing it big time.

Just been reading that covid infections are rocketing in the Czech Republic. Everywhere else they are falling now.

Might raise questions on where the match(es) actuallyy get played.
The catholic conspirators will have a field day with this news

In my humble opinion, our players, not least the new(er) additions, also profitted from not having the weight of 50k souls on their back every other week. :cool:

Did he play in the first SG home game. I thought that was pretty good, was after Maribor at home.
He was the St Boo keeper in the infamous game with the 4 penalties.

There was an article in Czech media soon after about how Steven Gerrard spoke to him after and gave him praise/encouragement.

Penalty madhouse. Even the best director would not invent that, says Hladký
Czech goalkeeper St. Mirren Václav Hladký intervenes in the match with the Rangers in Glasgow.
02/03/2019 12:25 PM Original message
SHARE:
The Czech football player Václav Hladký has had a crazy match in the Scottish league. Goalkeeper Mirren competed in front of 50,000 spectators at Ibrox Stadium against the famous Rangers and faced four penalties in the match. His team lost to the second team of the competition 0: 4.

"Such a match would not be invented even by the best film director," the 28-year-old goalkeeper told TÝDEN.CZ. "Before the fourth penalty, I stopped at the goal for a while and wondered if we were definitely playing a cup match and not a shootout."

The Rangers were given the first chance to score from the penalty kick in the third minute and Captain Tavernier was not wrong. The same player stood at the penalty spot even in the 26th minute, but this time Hladký helped the pole. In the 55th minute, another penalty situation came and Tavernier again turned the personal fight with the former goalkeeper of Liberec or Brno into his favor.

"It doesn't even make sense to speculate on whether everyone was whistled correctly. From my point of view, I didn't know what to do, because when a player goes to kick you for the third time and kicks her three times differently in the final, it's more about luck, if you just manage to choose the right solution, "said Hladký, who has four matches behind him in his new job, including a match against Glasgow's second big club Celtic.

Ten minutes before the end, Captain Rangers preferred the winter reinforcement to Jermain Defoe in the fourth penalty, and the experienced gunner scored the second goal in Scotland's highest competition. At the final 4: 0, he adjusted Kent from the game this time.

"I had a lot of work in the match and for a long time I was overcome only by a penalty kick. After the match Steven Gerrard came to me and congratulated me on the performance, I was very pleased," said Hladky, who shot 25 shots, 11 of them on gate.

It was the current pilot Rangers Gerrard who admitted after the match that some penalty situations were not clear. "The first was 100%, but the second and fourth could be discussed," said a Liverpool legend. "In the final, however, we could easily kick another penalty kick after a foul on Morelos," he said.

Coach St. Mirren Oran Kearney, of course, had a different opinion after the match. "The first penalty was clear, but the other three simply shouldn't have been whistled," he said, adding that he had gone to talk to Chief Judge Andrew Dallas after the match. "I just asked him for his opinion, he hasn't looked at the interventions on the record yet."

St. Mirren is in the Scottish League table on the tail with a two-point loss to the penultimate Hamilton. "Now we have opponents who are moving around us in the table, and we have to prepare well for it and start collecting points," said Hladký.

Last edited:
He's got a good point. A European match at Ibrox is the kind of occasion where the fans can urge the team on to victory in a closely fought game

Unreal atmosphere against st mirren? I don’t think I was at that game.
I do remember one that was really good. Also remember Stephen Thomson, who was still playing for St Mirren, on Sportcene a few weeks later and commenting how difficult it was to play Rangers at Ibrox as the fans were so up for it. Can't remember if it was early Warburton, or possibly getting nearer to winning the league with Warburton.

I do remember one that was really good. Also remember Stephen Thomson, who was still playing for St Mirren, on Sportcene a few weeks later and commenting how difficult it was to play Rangers at Ibrox as the fans were so up for it. Can't remember if it was early Warburton, or possibly getting nearer to winning the league with Warburton.
Pretty sure it was the first league game of the season under warburton on a Friday night.

You can tell this guys a good egg by the very first line of his interview..."I had the honour of playing at Ibrox...". Damn right big man, damn right.

Back