Why the media will always seek to diminish a successful Manchester City

Not a good start. Fifth paragraph moans about co-commentator on TV - Steve McManaman, a former Man City player :rolleyes:

Got a soft spot for city as they are a proper football club with great fans.
They were minutes from the conference and yet the fans never deserted them despite Man Utd winning everything.
I class them like Leeds, Wolves, West Brom, Burnley old fashioned clubs with a great history.
Don’t let what Man City has become to tarnish the soul and heartbeat of the club it’s fans.

The jealous nature towards City is very similar to how we are treated also
Not so. We are a club that has fought it’s way to our position in the game, having endured the efforts of our rivals trying to kill us. You couldn’t really argue the same of them.

They got a stadium for next to nothing and are where they are due to their owner’s cash. Not really sure how anyone could equate that to Rangers.

Excellent piece. I always had a soft spot for Liverpool but even my stomach was turning at the revolting sycophancy of their “procession” last season. Up there with the tim hacks at our Scottish media channels.
Chelsea got the same treatment back when they were winning. Unfortunately for these lowlife partisan bigots we see them.

Got a soft spot for city as they are a proper football club with great fans.
I think they were a decent club with a loyal support who probably underachieved before the Arabs got a hold of them, but the success they’ve had since is completely disproportionate to what they would have had if they never.

They, like Chelsea before them, have also been saddled with swathes of neophyte supporters who will probably never actually see them play in the flesh, all of which adds up to a bit of a phoney state of affairs to me.

Not a good start. Fifth paragraph moans about co-commentator on TV - Steve McManaman, a former Man City player :rolleyes:
Presumably the guy missed the quarter final against Lyon last season. McManaman was embarrassing that night, almost incredulous that a team like Lyon even deserved to share the pitch with City.

Jealousy or hatred, doesn't really matter what it is both clubs get the criticism from many. People have always hated Rangers for the success of the club among other reasons, Man city get the same down here.
What Man City get is actual jealousy imho. They have the most money and are, comparatively speaking, the new kids on the block.

What Rangers get is pure unadulterated hatred. They hate the fact that we didn't die, they hate that we even exist, they hate that we are a Unionist club and they hate that we're back.......and that's only the SNP that I'm talking about, the actual football fans and the football media are even worse.

We that all sounds a bit familiar. Easily just substitute Man City and insert Rangers and it would likely match thousands of posts on here I read over the years. Albeit with a notch or three up on the hatred scale.

People are not jealous of Rangers, they hate us and our very existence.
I would disagree. They envy us and admire us to the point of wanting to be as successful as us, sadly they realise they can’t and never will be, so they resent us to the point of obsession. A spurned lover if you like.

They were minutes from the conference and yet the fans never deserted them despite Man Utd winning everything.
I class them like Leeds, Wolves, West Brom, Burnley old fashioned clubs with a great history.
Don’t let what Man City has become to tarnish the soul and heartbeat of the club it’s fans.
Who were minutes from the conference?

I would disagree. They envy us and admire us to the point of wanting to be as successful as us, sadly they realise they can’t and never will be, so they resent us to the point of obsession. A spurned lover if you like.
You're so far out of the ball park on this.

City have never had the media-driven glamour of United or Liverpool, but they are what they are, an old-school football club with a loyal support, like Leeds or the Sheffield clubs. Only when the Arab money arrived, did the real hate against them begin, probably through jealousy.

Some people on here somehow think Guardiola is a flop all because he's never managed some average side like Getafe or Southampton. Bizarre.

Comes across as very whiney. City are successful at the moment, opposition fans generally don't like watching their team getting beat. Why does this City fan need the media to fawn over them? The "big" clubs across Europe don't give a %^*& what opposition fans think of them. e.g. Juve, Munich, Madrid

The media will diminish or ignore a successful Man City because they don't have a sizeable market for the media to sell their news to. That's because they are not a big enough club to warrant their success.

I've followed Rangers since 1968. At that time, I, like many others had a favourite English team. I chose Man City because they played great attacking football at that time.
There are a great many similarities regarding the negative press both clubs receive and it's been going on for as long as I care to remember. In 1968 the Scottish Press were falling over themselves with superlatives for Celtic. They affectionately dubbed them the ' Green Machine '. In England, Liverpool and Manchester United were the media darlings. Charlton, Law and Best, the golden trio. Shankly the messiah. City were ignored. Unfashionable even though they were winning trophies and had players like Bell, Lee and Summerbee.
It's no better now. Petty articles about Gerrard having not won a trophy yet and how City shouldn't be spending the millions that it's ok for Man United and Liverpool to indulge in.

Last edited:
Man City fans should ask themselves why their rivals from the same city see Liverpool as the biggest derby of the season and not them.
That's not media-generated, that's just how it is.

Man City fans should ask themselves why their rivals from the same city see Liverpool as the biggest derby of the season and not them.
It's a bit more complicated than that down here. Culturally Mancs really really hate Scousers, the Scousers aren't thrilled about being looked down upon by their neighbours. This culture effects football rivalry. It is a hundred times stronger and more bitter than people in Edinburgh looking down on Glaswegians as Scum and Glaswegians looking at Edinburgh folk as stuck up. That said the sharp, witty and often vicious banter between football fans in the North West is awesome compared to the "YER CLUBS DEED/BIG JOCK KNEW" broken record crap we have up in Scotland.

it's the number of trophies Liverpool have won. However things are slowly changing.

Not really I would say the hatred and jealousy towards Man Utd is more in line with our circumstances. Man City to be honest I can’t say I dislike them like Arsenal and Spurs but they have t achieved anything in Europe and like PSG I believe they are money laundering schemes that will crumble one day

I'm not one of Man City's biggest fans or Pep for that matter however they have looked more like a team this season then previous seasons.

Why can’t they just enjoy their success without constantly whining about how the media and uefa are working against them
Simply because they know that the bias they claim to exist against them is not only untrue, its the very opposite of what is true - the English press fall over themselves to talk about PG and his team.

I think people who sneer at their success, me included, do so not because they have loads of money or buy loads of top players but its the degree to which they do it which makes the success almost pointless. In Pro Sports, teams who outspend their rivals massively will tend to win more/most things because theyll have the best players by some distance. In the case of Man City they have spent money in a way that no team ever has or will. In fact theyve spent so much money and acquired such a depth of squad they dont really need to even bother about Football problems like injuries, suspensions, even loss of form because there is always 2 or 3 players in any position waiting to come in and cover. That kind of advantage is unprecedented and some might say unfair.

For all they have and may yet win my take is given their colossal advantage they should achieve such things and really its not that impressive given their status. Man City should be winning the EPL by mile and the CL and probably the domestic cups, year in year out.

As for PG himself hes obvs a quality coach but succeeding at Barcelona, Bayern Munich (somewhat) and Modern Manchester City isnt really that amazing. Hes also rather defensive about himself which I find a little precious given all the praise hes had and advantages enjoyed, plus hes very politically active while on Football duties, using the platform to push his ideas which I find very distasteful indeed.

Anyone but Man City. Please.

Rangers win the league
City win the league.
Think a mate said it last happened in 1937 so I might raise a glass to both sides glory. I meet around 15/20 guys every time I’m down and all of them have been up here following Rangers thru good and bad

Imagine that.
A fan moaning about an ex player’s punditry.
Would never happen with Rangers.
There’d never be a need to!

Give yourself peace man. Man City been a club for five minutes, they’ve got about 140 odd years to catch up on to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Rangers never mind compared in any way

Back