Ryan Gauld

Definitely deserves a call up, been impressed with what I’ve seen of him this season and he seems to get great reviews from the Portuguese press

Was being reported in some quarters that this wouldn't be the case with the elite sport exemption rule.
Elite Sport exemption doesn't always apply: see Zungu when he signed for us.
There could also be restrictions in portugal which would see him have to quarantine on his return (similar to the German-based Austrians who have had to be left out of the squad to face Scotland)

This honestly makes me despair.

The likes of Gauld, Turnbull (no blue tinted specs on), Patterson, Hendry and at a push Gilmour should be called up. We need to be progressive. Our defenders aren’t good enough to keep teams out, as seen against Slovenia and Israel.

Instead the rumour is we have some guy from St Johnstone (Rooney) and the rest of the dumplings like O’Donnell and Considine making up the defence.

Che Adams is an upgrade but Patterson should be included in what is a problem position.

He’s better than any other right back in the country.
I suspect the uncapped player will be one of the two, or Turnbull.

Patterson is better than every other right back.

I haven't seen him at all recently albeit the reports coming out of Portugal are extremely positive. Who's place would he take in the squad though?

Centre midfield is genuinely the one position that Scotland have a bit of depth and quality.

The likes of Gauld, Turnbull (no blue tinted specs on), Patterson, Hendry and at a push Gilmour should be called up. We need to be progressive. Our defenders aren’t good enough to keep teams out, as seen against Slovenia and Israel.

Instead the rumour is we have some guy from St Johnstone (Rooney) and the rest of the dumplings like O’Donnell and Considine making up the defence.
Gilmour should be getting called up, 100%. As should Turnbull and Hendry. Given our lack of talent at right back I'd say Patterson too

I haven't seen him at all recently albeit the reports coming out of Portugal are extremely positive. Who's place would he take in the squad though?

Centre midfield is genuinely the one position that Scotland have a bit of depth and quality.
Christie, or Maclean IMO.

Christie definitely.

He’s the most creative player in Portugal out with the top three, and had the most MOTM awards in the division (as of a few weeks ago).

You make room for a player like that in the squad.

He’s definitely a better option than Christie

Gilmour should be getting called up, 100%. As should Turnbull and Hendry. Given our lack of talent at right back I'd say Patterson too
I agree with all of the above, Gilmour I can understand his omission because he’s seldom played and it is our strongest area.

Wish he had gone out on loan to give himself a proper chance of going to the Euro’s.

I bet Oliver Burke and the big cow from Sheff Wednesday, Patterson also get called up.

Nesbit easily a better option. But because they have sat on the bench throughout the entire campaign (and contributed nothing) they will continue to do so.

Steve Clarke will be the new Craig Brown in terms of loyalty to sh!t players with sh!t tactics with no risks. Players will continue to make their international debut at 26, only after they have ‘done their apprenticeship’ with the under 21’s and the likes of O’Donnell finally retire.

Christie, or Maclean IMO.

Christie definitely.

He’s the most creative player in Portugal out with the top three, and had the most MOTM awards in the division (as of a few weeks ago).

You make room for a player like that in the squad.
He’s definitely a better option than Christie

Christie is a very good player (taking the blue tinted specs off).

He has been rotten over the past season but that's probably more down to Lennon than anything else. He was outstanding under Rodgers for Celtic.

Maclean is probably a decent shout tbf although no idea how he's doing at Norwich now.

He has been rotten over the past season but that's probably more down to Lennon than anything else. He was outstanding under Rodgers for Celtic.

Maclean is probably a decent shout tbf although no idea how he's doing at Norwich now.
Christie can be a good player but he’s been rotten all season whereas Gauld has been excellent, can’t say much about Maclean as I’ve not seen any of Norwich this season.

Gauld should definitely be getting in the squad tho imo

Reactions: Moz

I didn't think he had featured that often for Celtic under Rodgers? If so, maybe a dozen starts? As we've seen with many of them this year, they are returning to mean and performances under Rodgers a blip.

If it’s a 27 man squad as suggested here is what I would go with.

GK

Marshall
Mcglaughlin
Gordon

RB
Patterson
Hickey

LB
Taylor
Robertson

CB
Cooper
McKenna
Gallagher
Hendry
Tierney
McCrorie

CM
McGinn
Jack
McTominay
McGregor
Christie
Turnbull
Fleck
Gauld
Gilmour

Forwards

Dykes
Forrest
Fraser
Adams
Nesbit
I like that,

Elite Sport exemption doesn't always apply: see Zungu when he signed for us.
There could also be restrictions in portugal which would see him have to quarantine on his return (similar to the German-based Austrians who have had to be left out of the squad to face Scotland)

Yeah, I get that. I neither know whether he would face restrictions or not.

It was a website who interviews Ryan Gauld semi-regularly who were suggesting he'd be exempt to travel.

If it’s a 27 man squad as suggested here is what I would go with.

GK

Marshall
Mcglaughlin
Gordon

RB
Patterson
Hickey

LB
Taylor
Robertson

CB
Cooper
McKenna
Gallagher
Hendry
Tierney
McCrorie

CM
McGinn
Jack
McTominay
McGregor
Christie
Turnbull
Fleck
Gauld
Gilmour

Forwards

Dykes
Forrest
Fraser
Adams
Nesbit
Very good squad that not sure about Forest though

I didn't think he had featured that often for Celtic under Rodgers? If so, maybe a dozen starts? As we've seen with many of them this year, they are returning to mean and performances under Rodgers a blip.

My memory is maybe playing tricks but from memory, I thought Rogic played most of Rodgers' first season then Christie was a mainstay and very good in the 2nd season?

Jesus christ Ryan Gauld.

Have I time warped back to the Warbuton days.

We are trying to qualify for the Champions League next season and players like Ryan Gauld are a massive step backwards.

We will sign quality don't worry about that.

Jesus christ Ryan Gauld.

We are trying to qualify for the Champions League next season and players like Ryan Gauld are a massive step backwards.

May I ask, what are you basing this on?.

He may not be good enough to start, but he’d certainly be a very good asset to have and would be cheap with a bundle of development.

Labelling it “a massive step backwards” is just nonsense.

Readily admit I haven't seen a ton of him and also mindful that loans aren't always the best judge of a player (see Harry Kane).

But Gauld played well when breaking through, went to Portugal and played reserves for a fair chunk before seeming to find his level in a lower tier team. After being in Portugal and then coming back on loan to Scotland he looked a worse player than when he left.

Unless he has just had a stop start development and is now ready for more responsibilities and attention then I'm not sure he is the answer.

Gauld for me is a singing that would take a squad spot that I'd rather went to Kennedy or Kelly or another promising youngster.

My memory is maybe playing tricks but from memory, I thought Rogic played most of Rodgers' first season then Christie was a mainstay and very good in the 2nd season?
My mind could very well be playing tricks too but I remember him as being bit part until he played in the League Cup semi final versus Hearts when he scored and dived to win a penalty.

We lost our League Cup final that day to Aberdeen in Gerrard's first season.

Jesus christ Ryan Gauld.

Replace Gauld with Kamara, Jack or Wright and that post could have been made when we signed any one of those players. I'm not saying we should sign Gauld, I haven't seen him play in about five years, but if our scouting team identifies him and Gerrard agrees then I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt given out hit rate with recent signings. Outside of Grezda there really haven't been any unmitigated disasters.

May I ask, what are you basing this on?.

He may not be good enough to start, but he’d certainly be a very good asset to have and would be cheap with a bundle of development.

Labelling it “a massive step backwards” is just nonsense.
Basing it on if he was good enough he would have been in the Scotland squad.

Also he was shite when at loan at Hibs.

He is 25 and hardly a youngster.

We have much better players than him already.

We will sign a higher caliber than him.

I'd rather promote a youth player.

So many reasons why he is a backwards step.

What are you basing it on that he would be a good asset?

Ryan Jack wasn’t an international at 25.

I’m basing my assertion on his cracking form this season in Portugal, which I’m regularly told is a higher level than the SPL.

The links back to Lisbon and Braga, oh and the Portuguese league journalists who suggest he would be in the Portugal squad if eligible.

Because I think we won't sign Ryan Gauld?

He is not even good enough to get in the Scotland squad FFS.

I expect we will sign a much higher caliber player for that role than Ryan Gauld.

Given that Braga want him and the soon to be champions Sporting Lisbon wanting him back after he’s been playing great in the Portuguese league providing goals and assists I’d say he’s more than good enough for Rangers.

You seem like the type of person who doesn’t watch or have a clue about football outwith Scotland.

Ryan Jack wasn’t an international at 25.

I’m basing my assertion on his cracking form this season in Portugal, which I’m regularly told is a higher level than the SPL.

The links back to Lisbon and Braga, oh and the Portuguese league journalists who suggest he would be in the Portugal squad if eligible.
Ryan Jack had 250 appearances to his name. He was an established player and captain of his club.

So not really comparable to a 25 year old who has played 90 top flight games and 14 goals.

Not a signing I think we will make anyway as he struggles for fitness and hardly finishes games so not the type we need for our high intensity style of play.

Hagi and Aribo are just fine in that position he would play and we have talented youngsters that should be given a chance.

If we are bringing in someone for that position it will be a higher quality of player no doubts.

Given that Braga want him and the soon to be champions Sporting Lisbon wanting him back after he’s been playing great in the Portuguese league providing goals and assists I’d say he’s more than good enough for Rangers.

You seem like the type of person who doesn’t watch or have a clue about football outwith Scotland.
If you are watching Farense games then fair play to you I bow to your level of commitment of watching shit teams in Portugal play. My level is not that of yours as I prefer to watch top teams play.

Just because some article you read this and that want someone a) doesn't mean it's gonna happen and b) doesn't mean they are going to be good enough for Rangers

Now unlike you I tend to think we are a better team than Braga or Sporting so would expect us to sign a higher quality player that fits in our style of play.

Ryan Gauld is neither.

Because I think we won't sign Ryan Gauld?

He is not even good enough to get in the Scotland squad FFS.

I expect we will sign a much higher caliber player for that role than Ryan Gauld.
Because you're claiming he is a massive step backwards based on a loan spell at Hibs two years ago.

Andy Considine, Greg Taylor, Stephen O'Donnell and Declan Gallagher are in that Scotland squad. Take it cause they're good enough to get in the squad they must be worth a punt in your eyes?

Gauld with a few years on his contract would cost £10m+ after this season, good luck finding a 'much higher calibre' player in our budget.

Because you're claiming he is a massive step backwards based on a loan spell at Hibs two years ago.

Andy Considine, Greg Taylor, Stephen O'Donnell and Declan Gallagher are in that Scotland squad. Take it cause they're good enough to get in the squad they must be worth a punt in your eyes?

Gauld with a few years on his contract would cost £10m+ after this season, good luck finding a 'much higher calibre' player in our budget.
I didn't just say because he was shite at Hibs though did I?

I said he is hardly a youngster, we have better players for that position already, I'd rather promote our youth and I'd imagine we would sing a higher caliber player that fits our style of play.

Weird that some folk get so excited about a guy who is 25 and has played 90 top league games and has some good numbers in one season for a team in Portugal who are going to get relegated and who most probably haven't even seen him play any games for that team.

Because Braga and Sporting are apparantly interested (pinch of salt) then Rangers should be.

He doesn't fit our style of play it ain't happening.

If you are watching Farense games then fair play to you I bow to your level of commitment of watching shit teams in Portugal play. My level is not that of yours as I prefer to watch top teams play.

Just because some article you read this and that want someone a) doesn't mean it's gonna happen and b) doesn't mean they are going to be good enough for Rangers

Now unlike you I tend to think we are a better team than Braga or Sporting so would expect us to sign a higher quality player that fits in our style of play.

Ryan Gauld is neither.
If you only watch top teams play you must have been raging when we signed the likes of Aribo, Hagi and even Morelos since they didn’t come from big teams.

Your post if full of arrogance. We are on a similar level to teams like sporting and Braga but you’d expect us to sign higher level than them? They regularly sell players to the big European clubs for profit.

Reactions: Moz
When watching him early on - I must say he looked impressive - but I'm always wary of potential as a lot can go wrong even in a short period of time

It's now quite a while since the potential tag can be reasonably applied to him -
By now he should have had enough experience in different positions, formations, systems & styles of play to be settled into his best role.

If SG can see where he could fit in & be encouraged to produce performances of benefit to us - then I'd welcome him with open arms
Part of me however suspects he's not what's required

I've been where you are mate on every point you make! You're onto a hiding to nothing I'm afraid with the FF scouts who get giddy at free transfers and homegrown quotas more than Gerrard does.

The only thing I've been swayed on is that the last we seen him as a dwarf hiding and not kicking a ball for Hibs at Ibrox is that it seems he was playing under Lennon and it's in those 2 years he's actually kicked on from.
If he's as good as is made out he'd perhaps have been signed up already? like we've done with Ofoborh. I hope he stays abroad and has an excellent career because he deserves rewarded for sticking at it and a redemption at Lisbon would be fitting, but I'm still in the no camp.

So my question is should we fear the damage he'd cause if Gauld signs for Celtic? Or is it a player (like Hagi) that Ross Wilson would have targeted at Southampton?

That doesn't hold up for me because he doesn't have a few years on his contract after this season he's available for %^*& all in 2 months time, yet this £10m+ player hasn't been signed up on a free transfer.

I didn't just say because he was shite at Hibs though did I?

I said he is hardly a youngster, we have better players for that position already, I'd rather promote our youth and I'd imagine we would sing a higher caliber player that fits our style of play.

Weird that some folk get so excited about a guy who is 25 and has played 90 top league games and has some good numbers in one season for a team in Portugal who are going to get relegated and who most probably haven't even seen him play any games for that team.

Because Braga and Sporting are apparantly interested (pinch of salt) then Rangers should be.

He doesn't fit our style of play it ain't happening.

Sorry, unless you've been watching his progress in the last year, and are aware of how he's been performing then you're not in a position to say whether we have better players in the same position or not. May be true he stagnated after initial promise, but he wouldn't be the first that get's to that mid 20's age and it starts to happen for him. Everyone's different and reports are that this is what's happening for him.

It's pretty simple for me, if our management team have identified a player that they believe will improve us, and can be improved as a player with us, then they've earned the right to go and get that player without us being too critical.

We all have opinions on players, and we're all great at battering away at our keyboards with those opinions, but we're likely to be looking at entirely different criteria than what our scouting department are. We get criticised often enough for those we let slip through our fingers, so if Stevie G and the rest think this would be good for us, then I'm all for it.

Haven't heard his name mentioned for a long time, which would suggest his career hasn't progressed as many thought it would.

Back