Ryan Gauld

Had a cracking season, has the most MOTM awards in the top flight this season and has been the most creative player out with the big 4.

Picked up his 7th MOTM of the season against Braga at the weekend.

It looks like Farnese have taken up their extension clause in his contract, will most likely be sold in the summer.

Been brilliant this season, couple of journalists based there have said that if he was Portuguese he’d be on the fringes of their national team.

Edit: journalists there still saying his contract ends this summer, Transfermarket must be including the option.
But still not good enough for Rangers according to the FF Experts. :D

Not saying he would make the cut at Rangers, but the amount of people flat out refusing and saying he's not good enough given how great a season he's having shows how piss poor the general level of understanding of football is on Follow Follow.

Good to see others making the case for him when he had such a good season.

I honestly think he'll go for more money in Portugal this summer than what we'd be willing to pay.

Not saying he would make the cut at Rangers, but the amount of people flat out refusing and saying he's not good enough given how great a season he's having shows how piss poor the general level of understanding of football is on Follow Follow.

Good to see others making the case for him when he had such a good season.

I honestly think he'll go for more money in Portugal this summer than what we'd be willing to pay.
It's as if the concept of players improving and developing is alien to them alongside rational arguments as to why they're wrong. A weirdly stupid and ignorant combination.

Youngish Scottish guy making a name for himself in a top European league will surely have made Rangers take notice. They’ve bound to have had scouts watching him. Rangers need to be the team signing the best Scottish players again, we are a Scottish team and the best players should play for the best Scottish team.

It's as if the concept of players improving and developing is alien to them alongside rational arguments as to why they're wrong. A weirdly stupid and ignorant combination.
It's even more mad when you consider how:

Morelos;
Tav;
Goldson;
Barisic;
Patterson;
Aribo;
Hagi;
Wright (short span of time, I accept)

have all improved under Gerrard and Co. It won't work all the time and I'm sure we'll sign one or two more Grezdas but at least we're doing our homework and those who put the effort in and have the right attitude are being given every chance to show what they can do.

It's not that hard to follow other leagues.

Then again 50% of people on here in a poll said they watch no football bar Rangers.

Probably a massive overlap between that and saying Gauld isn't good enough.
I watch mainly epl efl not much more.
I would defer to anyone who has watched the boy.
I can’t remember who his parent club is.
has he been on loan most of his contract?

You do have to wonder how he can't get anywhere near the current Scotland squad when you watch the clips and read all the positive reports about his performances. He must be too small or something... or lacking that crucial factor of a Celtic connection Clarke seems to favour :D

I watch mainly epl efl not much more.
I would defer to anyone who has watched the boy.
I can’t remember who his parent club is.
has he been on loan most of his contract?
He’s not on loan at anyone mate, he plays for Farense in the top flight.

He joined Sporting and was loaned out, playing well but politics involved resulted in them recalling him.

That stifled his development, joined Farense on a free and has been brilliant this season, as said in the thread there is seemingly a few top teams looking at him.

If he wasn't Scottish 90% on here would be cumming in their pants at the mere mention of his name with stats like that.

The people saying no clearly haven't seen him play this season. He is one of the most creative players in the Portuguese league, while playing for one of the worst. He could've got a move in January but opted to stay and try and keep Farense up.

Yes he struggled to live up to his early potential but now everything is starting to click and is finally getting there. This happens with players and sometimes everything just clicks in their mids 20s.

Would love it if we were linked with Gauldinho with those stats for free.....

Yes he struggled to live up to his early potential but now everything is starting to click and is finally getting there. This happens with players and sometimes everything just clicks in their mids 20s.

Spot on with everything pretty much, but some people still don't get this. The amount of players I've seen written off on here because they aren't ripping up a league at 19 is frightening.

Not saying some clogger in the Highland league is going to suddenly become Messi on his 25th birthday, but there's a tendency on here to just hype young players up to unreal expectations, they inevitably are a bit patchy to begin with, and then they get shat on and labelled not good enough.

You do have to wonder how he can't get anywhere near the current Scotland squad when you watch the clips and read all the positive reports about his performances. He must be too small or something... or lacking that crucial factor of a Celtic connection Clarke seems to favour :D

Theres been lots of talk about him getting called up, for me he has to be doing it at a higher level before he deserves that. In that position he has Mcginn, Fraser, Armstrong, Christie, Forrest and Philips ahead of him. Along with Turnbull and hopefully Wright who are potential options.

Spot on with everything pretty much, but some people still don't get this. The amount of players I've seen written off on here because they aren't ripping up a league at 19 is frightening.

Not saying some clogger in the Highland league is going to suddenly become Messi on his 25th birthday, but there's a tendency on here to just hype young players up to unreal expectations, they inevitably are a bit patchy to begin with, and then they get shat on and labelled not good enough.

Not to compare him to Messi cos that’d be mental but was Vardy not at Fleetwood town till he was like 26/27? Prso was a late bloomer too. Absolutely right not every player hits the heights early doors.

EDIT: Vardy was 25 when he signed for Leicester so not far off

That would be a great move. Maybe he's loving it in Portugal and can't face coming back to Scotland. Regardless of what he does with his next move fair play for going abroad young and sticking at it even when it didn't look like working out.
Yeah, if I were a successful footballer living on the Gulf of Cadiz and was offered a choice between a massive pay rise to either stay near the coast in Portugal, compete for a title, play regular European football and probably have a job for life commentating on English language broadcasts of Portuguese football or come back to Scotland to play on plastic pitches in the dead of winter against hammer throwers, it's a no brainer.

What authority would this be? I'm genuinely interested. Playing for a huge club on the up, managed by Steven Gerrard and the possibility of Champions League football next season might change his mind anyway unless he secretly the biggest yahoo on the planet.
Friends with a very good friend of his, nothing to do with rangers as a club he just does not want to come back to Scotland, loves the lifestyle in Portugal / the sun

I'm glad it seems to be working out for him finally.

He took a big risk not many UK youngsters would take by moving to Portugal and it looked like it wasn't going to pay off, but he kept at it.

Not to compare him to Messi cos that’d be mental but was Vardy not at Fleetwood town till he was like 26/27? Prso was a late bloomer too. Absolutely right not every player hits the heights early doors.

EDIT: Vardy was 25 when he signed for Leicester so not far off
Left the conference at 25, in the premier League at 27 and capped by England at 28.

Absolutely crazy when you think about it.

I quite like him as a player. However, I wouldn’t swap Aribo or Hagi for him and I’d say that’s two in our squad he’d need to be better than.

Left the conference at 25, in the premier League at 27 and capped by England at 28.

Absolutely crazy when you think about it.

He’s one of the exceptions rather than the general rule I’d say but just goes to show real quality can be found later in players careers under the radar so to speak.

Friends with a very good friend of his, nothing to do with rangers as a club he just does not want to come back to Scotland, loves the lifestyle in Portugal / the sun
To be fair, difficult to argue with that! Though if it was a choice against the likes of Braga (who are definitely a good team but not a huge one) you'd think possibly the chance of working with Stevie G, bigger club etc may sway him. Only a few years then he can head back to the sun!

On a free in the summer apparently. Had a great season in Portugal. Anyone think he would be worth a punt?

If he has had a great season why would no other Portuguese team take home or why would his present team let him go ? Or does he want to leave Portugal.

He’s one of the exceptions rather than the general rule I’d say but just goes to show real quality can be found later in players careers under the radar so to speak.
Just checked and he was playing in the 7th tier of English football before he joined Fleetwood at 24.

From the English 7th tier to England in 4/5 years is unthinkable.

Like you say he is a bit of an exception.

A good article for those who perhaps haven’t been following him this season, he’s been absolutely sensational.

You don’t pick up 7 MOTM awards in the top flight playing for cannon fodder against Braga et al if you aren’t very good.
Exactly. Far too many people in here obviously don't know much about him if they're making the comments they are. He's a cracking player. It's no wonder Braga have interest in him.

Exactly why he should be considered

That is exactly why he won't consider us. We have Kent, Aribo, Wright, Hagi even Jordan Jones to come back in to the fold. The only one I see him moving is Jones, so he moves him to be a sub.

Gauld is at an age and stage of his career he wants to be playing week in, week out or close 70% plus of games per season. Not used sparingly in cup games and occasional sub in Europe because we needed a token home grown talent.

He is a talent and the only way we sign or make if feasible for him to see game time is if Kent or Aribo are sold.

Decent player but we can definitely sign better.

I'd consider him an option if someone like Hagi or Aribo were to leave, but he isn't the top quality central midfielder we're looking for to take us up a level in the engine room right now.

He's been one of the best players in the Portuguese league this season whilst playing for one of the weakest teams.

7 goals and 5 assists in 24 games. He's also second in the league for key passes

He's statistically outperforming the likes of Horta at Braga for example.

A lot of the comments on here are miles out and probably from people who haven't seen him play in years.
What’s new then eh :)

He's just doing what guys like Dorrans, Snodgrass, Fleck and Ross McCormack done. All great prospects in their youth but not fully reaching their potential in Scotland.

Gauld has clearly moved over there (away from all the distractions he has here) and focused only on football and he's now reaping the benefits. He was the best prospect in Scotland as a kid, you don't just lose that ability but making the transition from top youth to top professional is huge.

I don't know anything about his personal life, whether he was out drinking with mates etc when he stayed here but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case and it has stunted his development. Fleck, Dorrans and Snodgrass were out drinking with mates all the time when they lived up here and only started to fufil their potential when they moved down to England away from all the distractions.

That is exactly why he won't consider us. We have Kent, Aribo, Wright, Hagi even Jordan Jones to come back in to the fold. The only one I see him moving is Jones, so he moves him to be a sub.

Gauld is at an age and stage of his career he wants to be playing week in, week out or close 70% plus of games per season. Not used sparingly in cup games and occasional sub in Europe because we needed a token home grown talent.

He is a talent and the only way we sign or make if feasible for him to see game time is if Kent or Aribo are sold.
Doesn’t he play cam? Wouldn’t that take kent, wright and Jones out the picture? And fighting against aribo and arfield for the starting position, arfield hasn’t been the same since came back from injury

Has he been capped for Scotland already?

If not,he can't be far off qualifying for Portugal as they don't have the gentleman's agreement not to cap players based on residency that the home nations have.

Back