Hagi in the number 8 role.

The Pontiac Bandit

What are everyone's thoughts on using Hagi in a more midfield role.

His passing range and shooting ability would add something to that role.

Downside would maybe be his lack of physicality but I definitely think he is suited to a more central role than a wide one.

Many argued against it but Cove proved that he can play in a midfield 3 IF we need to unlock a Motherwell style low block. The more creative players the merrier

At home in a 4-2-3-1 with Hagi as the number 10 would probably work well. Not sure about him playing as the 8 in a 4-3-3.
Completely agree with this. He is a central number 10 player all day long. I like him a lot. Very talented, but I don’t think our preferred formation gets the best out of him.

I thought it was an interesting sub. He has the vision to pass anywhere, and he isn’t scared to close down, but I would rather he was behind 2 strikers in a central position. I genuinely think that would be his most influential position.

His positional awareness when the opposition are in possession isn’t good enough to play a central midfield role in anything other than games against low level opposition.

He got hooked in the last old firm game for that very reason and that was playing in a more advanced role.

In a rigid middle 3, he would be great at the top just behind the front 3, but too much interchange in our play for that. I think he is a fantastic player and will only get better, but he needs to be in a free role that let's him pick the ball up where he likes and not worry too much about the tracking back, that doesn't work in our system. He does work hard in our system so no criticism of him at all, just don't think we will fully appreciate how good he is until we have sold him for a decent profit.

Not for me.

He can play either side of those wide 10s behind the striker or even the central player in a 3 behind the striker.

Wouldn’t be able to do the fullback cover work for a full 90 if he played deeper in our system.

On Sunday he certainly played in midfield albeit further forward, in years to come that will be his position I reckon.

Davis has a sixth sense of positioning .....he is in the right place at the right time almost always.

This comes from years of experience something HagI doesn’t have yet.

Hagi has work rate and arguably a better passing range than Davis but it’s Davis for me every day of the week.

We generally play 4-3-3 (with subtle tweaks to the tactics)

Unless we’ve got numerous injuries, chasing the game in the last 10mins or playing against someone like Cove Rangers - Hagi won’t be featuring in the middle 3 imo.

The only serious options we have for the middle 3 at the moment are:

Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Jack and Zungu. With the latter two having fitness reliability issues or likely to be sent back to parent club. Therefore we’ll recruit before even contemplating Hagi as an option for this area of the pitch imo.

Many argued against it but Cove proved that he can play in a midfield 3 IF we need to unlock a Motherwell style low block. The more creative players the merrier

Iv said it a few times, its a role we should be looking at fir him going forward

His lack of pace in the front 3 sells him short at times

Give him the ball deeper in the midfield and watch him pick teams apart

He was really good as an 8 against Cove in the second half but I can't see it against premiership opposition, I doubt it will even be attempted.

I like Hagi a lot, but he is never an 8 imo. He's not good enough defensively and gives away possession too much.

Playing as a central10 is definitely his best position, our standard formation isn't ideal for his qualities.

You don't select him for his legs or defensive discipline, there's games at Ibrox where there is no need for 2 of 3 from Kamara, Jack, Davis

I think that's when we use Aribo in the midfield 3. He gives us a creative edge from midfield.

Aribo has more legs and better defensive capabilities than Hagi though.

Nope. He's certainly not an 8. More likely a 10 in a midfield 3 however even then his chances have been limited because he isn't able to slot in deeper if required (unlike Aribo).

Not particularly a criticism of Hagi but I would like a no.8 or a no.10 who makes runs beyond the striker. Arfield is the only one who does this and it would be great to have another option

He can be quite guilty of lunging into tackles and fouling a lot. I don't think he would cope tbh.

A lot of people are expecting a lot from a 21 year old compared to the master of the art in what Steven Davis does it simply isn’t possible and if he was able to perform like Davis does at 21 he simply wouldn’t be here.

Hagi is a class act and will become better with age you can’t turn him into anything similar to Steven Davis over night.

We might not get the chance to see him next season if this Lazio rumour that keeps popping up doesn't go away.

Have said before, 4231 suits our available personnel better. But its hard to argue from SG's 433 that has brough us so much success.

Kent Hagi Aribo. That 3 pretty much picks itself with all of them playing in what are probably their best positions.

It's a no from me, for the same reasons I don't like Aribo playing that position.

Both are better further forward in my opinion.

Not even a starter, have you see the work put in & distance covered by our 3 CMs? He doesn’t have the legs for that.

What are everyone's thoughts on using Hagi in a more midfield role.

His passing range and shooting ability would add something to that role.

Downside would maybe be his lack of physicality but I definitely think he is suited to a more central role than a wide one.

I think longterm, this is where his position lies, hes not a forward imo

I have never taken to him and I get the feeling others haven’t either with various positions mentioned on a weekly basis of where he should play
for me he has no pace, stamina , not good enough defensively and gives ball away too much.

Kent picks himself because even if he's not at it fully in a game, he works his socks off. Aribo and Hagi are suited to certain games and both need a lot of the ball in a game where one move can change the outcome. They both have that in their armour. Problem is, most of that is needed in either Europe or say vs the Tramps, maybe the Spoonburners or Dolly at a push. Aribo and Hagi versus some of the lesser elements is like putting shiny rims on a wheely bin.

I have never taken to him and I get the feeling others haven’t either with various positions mentioned on a weekly basis of where he should play
for me he has no pace, stamina , not good enough defensively and gives ball away too much.
His dad was not that fast - didn't work out too bad for him. I think at times pace can stop a player thinking as he can sprint himself out of trouble (Jordan Jones). Stamina is all about him learning to pace himself better, he's young, he'll get there, there is also the point that maybe he knows before the game starts that all being equal he will be hooked on 70 minutes, meaning he is already focussed on just 70 minutes. Defensively, I'm not sure that bothers me that much with him. He gives the ball away a lot because he is always looking for the pass that makes the difference. He could just pass back or sideways all the time and that would cure that problem.

As many have said, number 10 is where he fits best at the moment but if he can work on the more physical side, for want of a better description, he would probably do a decent job as an 8 and give him and us more playing options.

I've been thinking this all year, especially against the park the bus efforts of some of the SPFL.

I do think he's got to work on his defensive edge though, as if he got caught out not tracking runners there would be backlash. Davis did it and look where he got to, so it's not impossible.

I don’t think his first touch is good enough when he is under pressure.
He is likely to lose the ball in key positions.
In his current role, when he takes a heavy touch, invariably Davis or Jack well step in to ensure that any danger is snuffed out.

Heres a question if rumours are true of lazio’s interest would you punt hagi for £12m rumoured fee ?

Hagi is a number 10 for me. Forward looking with the smarts and passing ability to crack open stubborn defences and rapidly counter. He's an intelligent attacking player and that's where we should play him to get the best of him. His work rate and attitude is exceptional too but he's not defensively minded enough to do the centre mid role as effectively as others for us.

I actually think he could play the Davis role in time. He’s very two footed, a great passer and comfortable on the ball.

The only issue though is that he’s a bit lightweight.

I don't see it I think it's a different type of intelligence controlling the middle of the park -Hagi is an attacking player, end of.

Latest posts

Back