Australian A League official thread

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
Quite like to watch this when the games are live in the mornings. Granted, it's not the best standard but I like the honesty of it compared to European football. Even the smaller crowds generate a good atmosphere.

They have a conventional 33 match league where the winners are called the Premier team. The top 6 then have a play off system where the winner of that is the Champion team for that season. The top 2 then receive a bye to the semi finals of the play off with the highest ranked team being the home teams. Matches are played to sudden death. Almost as bonkers as our set up but it seems well organised.

Sydney FC would be the Rangers of the league. The most successful club, winning the normal league season 4 times and crowned overall champion 5 times.

Last edited:
If I was nearing the end my career I’d choose to go there over the USA any day, money might not be the same but purely for the chilled lifestyle that comes with it

I can confirm this, even had wee mentally challenged neds with their beloved hoops on in the crowd.
Who would be our team the A league? Sydney FC are now out the equation.

I know Melbourne City (previously Melbourne Heat) are of the same franchise as Man City and New York.

Quite like to watch this when the games are live in the mornings. Granted, it's not the best standard but I like the honesty of it compared to European football. Even the smaller crowds generate a good atmosphere.

They have a conventional 33 match league where the winners are called the Premier team. The top 6 then have a play off system where the winner of that is the Champion team for that season. The top 2 then receive a bye to the semi finals of the play off with the highest ranked team being the home teams. Matches are played to sudden death. Almost as bonkers as our set up but it seems well organised.

Sydney FC would be the Rangers of the league. The most successful club, winning the normal league season 4 times and crowned overall champion 5 times.

Excuse the French, but no they fn aren't :))

We already tried that with Northern spirit and look how that turned out !

Seriously , Aussies only care about the EPL in football.

In terms of crowds, it's probably the 4th or 5th most popular behind AFL, Cricket, Rugby League and maybe Union.

In terms of kids/participation etc. it's 2nd behind AFL so shows that there is a love for the game here.

EPL rules by far, as it does in most countries where football isn't their 'main' sport.

There's no club that Rangers can really associate with tbh.

I watch the games and if I had to chose one team that I look out for more than others, than it'll definitely be Melbourne Victory, but that's more geographical support than anything else.

Not a great season so far mine you. Feel a bit for Brebner

In terms of crowds, it's probably the 4th or 5th most popular behind AFL, Cricket, Rugby League and maybe Union.

In terms of kids/participation etc. it's 2nd behind AFL so shows that there is a love for the game here.

EPL rules by far, as it does in most countries where football isn't their 'main' sport.
Actually more people play football than Aussie rules. It's the one thing football has going for it in this country.

Lots of ex pats refuse to acknowledge the football in Australia. The locals refer to them as " Eurosnobs ".
Add in the hard core old boys that still attend NPL games at their ethnic clubs and refuse to watch the A League.

I actually loved going to watch NPL / State League games. A bit like going to Junior football. Preferred that to going to watch the A League to be honest.

Next matches live on BT Sport

Friday 9th
10am
McArthur Bulls v Brisbane Roar

Saturday 10th
6am
Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory

8am
Sydney FC (boo) v Melbourne City

10am
Adelaide United v Western Syndey Wanderers (dorrans)

Sunday 11th
10am
Wellington Phoenix v Western United

Back